PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Patriots sign Malcom Butler

Does anyone know how his contract breaks down into its incentives?
I heard the $4M Super Bowl incentive but what other incentives are there?

That's 4 years ago. The fact that the NEP signed him and MB signed tells us whatever the rumors were not impediments for neither one of them working together again.

I thought you were alluding to why he retired last year for personal reasons. That's what I really want to know. Was it a family situation he just needed to focus on? Was is physical? Mental health? Addiction? Plain 'ole burnt out?

At any rate my belief is BB asked what was up and Malcolm provided him with an explanation which was acceptable.
Does it matter? I guess whatever reason he needed the break, long as he’s ready to play now not sure it really matter.

Does it matter? I guess whatever reason he needed the break, long as he’s ready to play now not sure it really matter.
It could matter if these personal issues are unresolved, fester and impact his play.

As I said BB was comfortable enough to sign him

This is really the whole thing. 4 years of everyone trying to figure it out is pretty much a moot point now. Both parties are moving forward. Whatever it was wasn't bad enough for Bill to never want the guy back. Whatever it was wasn't bad enough that Malcolm wouldn't play for them again. Water over the dam at this point. Have to wait for Bill to put out a book when he retires.
I've always believed that Butler did something wrong. Otherwise he would have been more vocal about his benching after he was released. The questions come because we don't know why.

He won’t make the team.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
But he wasn't that good, according to some on Patsfans.com.
The 1986 Red Sox had some incredibly big innings, usually with two outs already.

They invariably would end with a Dave Henderson strikeout.

You think I care at all about that?

Clutch time is what counts. It's that way with girls, too.

I've always believed that Butler did something wrong. Otherwise he would have been more vocal about his benching after he was released. The questions come because we don't know why.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I think it's also important to consider that Butler could have just been smart about the situation he was in:

Just got benched in the SB, had not the greatest season (wasn't terrible by any means), and is looking for a new contract. In that situation, he wants to take as much attention away from the SB benching, and a great way to do that is by not saying anything at all, even if he is of the mind that it was ********.

BB has big influence in the NFL, Butler wants to keep every lane open as possible by doing his best to retain the image of a team first player. Also, it obviously has helped his chance of a return.

FWIW, I think it's both Malcom did something dumb and also BB being too stubborn. Just my take though.

It was Harmon and I've been asking myself this question since that day. WTF was he doing jumping over the play?

I can only assume: high stakes yips, doesn't think he'll catch it, is coming in at a high speed and doesn't want to get called for a penalty, jumps over to avoid some BS contact penalty.

Not the most logical thought, as he could've just tossed an arm in there, but eh.

I like that it laid ground for my favorite play of all time :)

So does anyone have an objective-as-possible diagnosis of Butler's play in 2020?

What I remember here is he was never shutdown, but had great tackling and is very very aggressive in punching the ball out and making catches difficult, while also having a great ability of avoiding penalties in the process of. Never would give up. Always finished a play, great example being slapping the ball out of OBJ's hands when 99% of CB's would've figured it was a done deal.

Also my memory is foggy so I could be completely wrong. Lol.

I'm really excited about this tbh. The year of rest may have done him a lot of good. It'll be nostalgic having him around. (Is it weird to be nostalgic about stuff from like... 5ish years ago?)

Although I had found memories of Butler in his time in New England, this move smells of desperation. The guy was retired and on the street, he's 32 now, and BB's like let me look up my speed dial cos I'm out of good corners. It feels like hooking up with your ex again 10 years later after they've gained 30 pounds and stopped working out. o_O

So what?

Butler's not supposed to be the #1 corner.

He fills the role Jason McCourty held over a few years.

A solid #4 on the roster who can fill in as a starter and be good.

Your ex might look good if the competition is Myles Bryant and the SlowJuan.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back