PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots sign Joey Galloway [mergedx4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have benn a lot happier if this had happened before we traded for Greg Lewis. I think Galloway will be a tremendous 3rd option, at least until november.

But that is mostly based on I have several co-workers and friends who are big Eagles fans who all described Lewis as a garbage reciever who sucks as a returner.

So now I still think the team needs to draft another reciever, and would need to cut Lewis, and so lost a 5th round pick.
Yes, and I like you like this signing and wasn't all that thrilled when the Pats traded for Greg Lewis. Still, though I never bought into the idea that Lewis would be our #3, I also don't think he's as much a bum as the Iggles fans would paint him to be. He's a solid #3b or #4 at the WR spot.

Also, even if the Pats were to draft, say, a Robiskie with one of their first day picks, a battle between Galloway, Lewis, Aiken and Slater for the #4-6 spots isn't the worst scenerio. I really have no problem with having lost a fifth rounder in this year's draft should Lewis be the odd man out given what we've gained via Cassel, Asante and Gay.

Galloway claims that he can still run 4.29 - 4.3 so, assuming he's right, the question will be quicks as opposed to speed and, obviously, health. Hopefully they'll baby that foot (and those hamstrings) of his during the offseason.

I'm hoping BB takes it easy with both Galloway and Springs. If used properly (i.e. not extensively) both could be consistent and reliable components of a championship team.

My only worry is that if either or both are pushed into full-time starting roles, their value might diminish with the increased chance of injury.

I was just screwing around with Madden yesterday...I added all the signings up to Bodden and cut those not on the team...I skipped the season 14-2 and played the playoffs....got to the SB and got smoked..I couldn't stop their WR.....it was Galloway and the bucs who beat me:D

Re: Pats sign Galloway

BB better give TB #12 a straight talk and shake him out of the Giselle funk. The biggest threat to our next super bowl is Giselle's little mind games. We need Tommy to keep his coolness and mojo.

I know, b/c being married to the highest paid super model in the world is so lame.......:rolleyes:

As for Galloway, I think its a great signing. He had 3 straight 1000 yd seasons before last season which was mired by injuries. All he has to do is be healthy and he should be pretty good in this offense.

I think the strong focus to load up on veteran recievers in FA may be indicitive that BB still hasn't gotten over the CJ fiasco. I still expect a reciever in the draft but not until the later rounds. I just don't see the Pats using a first day pick on a receiver. Looking at the FA strategy so far it seems the Pats will focus on the lines and LB pretty much.

Re: Galloway to the Patriots

Au contray.........

The contracts signed by Evans, Gaffney, Jordon, and yes, even Lonnie Paxton, were all for enough moeny to garner the Pats at least 1 6th round and 3 7th rds comp picks next year.

I think that's some aggressive accounting there. Gaffney could well be a 7th. Evans is probably a no-pick. Paxton is questionable.

I don't think that preserving late 7th round compensatory picks in 2010 should figure prominently in our free agent decision making process.

If you think the team will not trade away AT LEAST 2 of those 6 picks for some type of deal in 2010 or maybe a player trade this year then you're crazy

I expect 4 picks in the top 100 to remain and 2 to be given away to some other team for a player or some compensation in 2010

I dont see the team not doing deals as it usually almost does every year.

BB wouldn't hesitate to take players with every pick if the right kind of talent is available.

I think the reason why we trade picks so frequently is that most teams feel the need to improve immediately (GMs and coaches are on the hot seat) and BB is patient. This year's draft picks always trade at a premium to next year's draft picks. You can think of Mayo as BB's profits from arbitraging the difference :)

Totally not what I was expecting! I was looking for some sweet catch :D

I'm as optimistic as the next guy, but...

He is 38 years old and coming off an injury riddled year that saw him catch 13 passes in 9 games. Why the excitement over a guy that, if we draft a decent receiver, wont get through training camp?

True, but he was the fastest receiver in the League when he came out. Assume he is 75% of what he was. Result? He STILL has great, if not league leading speed. :D

He was not a WR with marginal speed that when he loses a step he is done . He has few more steps he could lose, but now some what offset by a veteran's wiles...

Perfect #3, the quartet of Moss, Welker, Galloway and Greg Lewis is nothing to sneeze at.

This is great. I'm starting to feel guilty :)

We haven't even got to April and our 4 - (Day one picks)...........No wonder why we're hated across the land.........

I can hear the black and gold fans pissing and moaning already.........

Last edited:
The worst case scenerio is he is our 4th WR. Honestly -- not bad. I'd love to draft another WR as our 5th, but let's just say Sam Aiken is our 5th WR. Still -- not bad. We're good/great on offense. The whole 1st day of the draft should be focused on defense now.

I agree that we will focus on the defense on Day One. I expect three defensive players: ILB, OLB and S. I also expect an offensive lineman.

I agree that we will focus on the defense on Day One. I expect three defensive players: ILB, OLB and S. I also expect an offensive lineman.

All due respect, I don't think so. BB hates to go LB on day one. Last year he breaks precedent and goes 2 LB's on day one. 5 Rookie linebackers ( Redd, Ruud, Guyton, Mayo, and Crable) will be back from last years draft class. Now you think he goes 2 more first day rookie linebackers?

I think BB builds the interiors. Maybe a trade into the 10-15 range for Tyson Jackson. Maybe Brace in the 2nd round. Since BB loves the TE spot, how about Pettigrew? OL's Levitre and Unger can play any of the (5) lineman spots.
Just one man's opinion.

All due respect, I don't think so. BB hates to go LB on day one. Last year he breaks precedent and goes 2 LB's on day one. 5 Rookie linebackers ( Redd, Ruud, Guyton, Mayo, and Crable) will be back from last years draft class. Now you think he goes 2 more first day rookie linebackers?

I think BB builds the interiors. Maybe a trade into the 10-15 range for Tyson Jackson. Maybe Brace in the 2nd round. Since BB loves the TE spot, how about Pettigrew? OL's Levitre and Unger can play any of the (5) lineman spots.
Just one man's opinion.

ILB doesn't feel like a real need to me, personally.

I think Unger and Delmas would be very satisfying day one picks.

ILB doesn't feel like a real need to me, personally.

I think Unger and Delmas would be very satisfying day one picks.

What if Mayo or Guyton get injured? Depth at ILB is a little iffy.

What if Mayo or Guyton get injured? Depth at ILB is a little iffy.

I don't know. Isn't the ILB depth chart 4 deep, including AD?

AD is an OLB.

He could be moved inside in the event of injury, but that weakens us big time on the outside.

Plus it's in our best interest that Bruschi plays as little as possible.

Last edited:

Uh... Bruschi is just about done, and if you put AD inside, you're down a linebacker on the outside. The Pats really need two ILBs. Guyton isn't really a Mike-type linebacker. They need a big guy who can take on blocks inside in the worst way, a Ted Johnson type.

The best-case scenario for them would be to pick up at least one guy in the Clay Matthews/Brian Cushing mold, ie a guy who can play inside and outside. Then even beyond that they need an outside linebacker. They have to be looking at a Larry English/Clint Sintim/Michael Johnson/Paul Kruger type of guy. By the end of the year last year it was just awful watching Vrabel and Bruschi try to hold down the weak side of the defense. They need some speed out there.

Back in the championship years the one thing you could count on was that no one was going to run outside on the Patriots. Willie Mac and Vrabel and Colvin and those guys, they all were so good at setting the edge. And Bruschi was so great dropping back and covering tight ends and backs. They're just so done in that regard now. Mayo is great and AD is pretty good, but the Pats were six linebackers deep in their championship years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST