PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots sign Joey Galloway [mergedx4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm stumped... Does he return punts?

I'm quite happy with this signing. It's another smart, athletic veteran, and I think he will slip into the #3 WR role well. Unless Bill trades away several draft picks, always a possibility, there are going to be alot of good guys cut in training camp. The competition should be excellent and force everyone to raise their games.

I love this signing.

I would disagree. It is a low risk move with a huge amount of upside.

Who knows whether we'll see Galloway reach that upside at 37 and coming off injuries, but the upside would be last year was just an off year due to injuries and he's the 1,000+ yard, elite deep threat receiver he's been the last 3 years prior to this season.

I said if he didn't have anything left, it didn't have much upside. I just question how much he has left.

One interesting little side note - Pat's WR depth, even before the draft:

Randy Moss
Wes Welker
Joey Galloway
Greg Lewis
Sam Aiken
Matt Slater

Pats typically keep five receivers, possibly six.
There's a decent chance the Pats end up with a receiver in the draft, what with eleven picks or so.

Matt Slater? Nice knowing ya.

Slater isn't a pure WR, he's also a safety. He's a special teams player. And a pretty good one despite the fumbles.. Its foolish to say that he's gone after one season.

You can tell Belichick wants Revenge. he wants MORE then the Superbowl. He wants 19-0.

Well, I'll agree that Slater played other positions.
Not ready to consent to actual utility at other positions.

He drops pass attempts.
He drops kick-offs.
He drops interception attempts.

So I guess the same utility at other positions.

Too bad slater never had any official drops when he was playing receiver.

Matthew Slater - Stats, Bio . New England Patriots . NFL Football . SI.com

I seem to remember Asante Samuel, Rodney Harrison, and Brandon Meriweather dropping ints also..

I would think it would be disrespect to Troy Brown to say that Troy would not be in as good a shape similar to Galloway today - So if there was a choice and Troy wanted to play again (which is not going to happen he is done),I would take Troy over Galloway - I think Joey will give us about the same what Troy gave us in 2006 - nothing great but will catch some clutch catches on 3rd down.

If He can stay healthy, he's going ot torch a LOT of single coverage. The idea of nickelbacks having to cover Galloway is pretty scary.

Last edited:
Interesting I think this signing has its upsides and downsides. I think we will not draft a WR now or in the near future. I like the one year deal mainly because of his age. Anyone lining up opposite to Moss is bound to get open and with his speed I think its a good fit. The only downside is that hes had his injury problems in the past.

I would think it would be disrespect to Troy Brown to say that Troy would not be in as good a shape similar to Galloway today - So if there was a choice and Troy wanted to play again (which is not going to happen he is done),I would take Troy over Galloway - I think Joey will give us about the same what Troy gave us in 2006 - nothing great but will catch some clutch catches on 3rd down.

Troy Brown was slow as molasses at the end of his career, while Galloway has always been a burner. If he doesn't have his speed, he's not worth much anymore, but if he does he'll be a better player than 2006 Troy Brown.

You can tell Belichick wants Revenge. he wants MORE then the Superbowl. He wants 19-0.

Actually, it is more of him following a pattern. It seems that every other year, the Pats are extremely active in free agency followed by a very quite year the following year.

Me likey!!!

Troy Brown was slow as molasses at the end of his career, while Galloway has always been a burner. If he doesn't have his speed, he's not worth much anymore, but if he does he'll be a better player than 2006 Troy Brown.

Well Troy had almost 400 yards in receiving and 4 TDs in 06 - I expect Galloway to have similar type numbers this year compared to Brown in 2006

Galloway had a rough 2008, and that is why his presents so much value. If he can be 3/4 of the athlete he was in 2005-2007, than we get a great 3rd option. This is a guy who ran a 4.18 unofficially and benched 415 on his pro day. I know he is 37, but he hadn't shown any signs of wearing down when he was 35 and it isn't like he is a player who has taken a million hits.

In my observations, Gaffney was a very capable #3 who worked hard and made mostly routine plays. Galloway, if healthy, will be able to do more than that with his pure athleticism, but he is a solid route runner and a hard worker as well. If still at 100%, Galloway is what everyone wants Stallworth to be, year in and year out.

Last edited:
Not that it means much, Galloway and Springs have ought to be pretty familiar with each other (Ohio St., Seattle).

I love this pick-up. Galloway still has speed and he has never played on a team where he didn't have to be the #1 WR, let alone being #3 (Plus of course, he has never played with anyone as good as Brady). This team could be awful scary in a 5 WR set, Moss, Welker, Slater, Lewis, and Galloway! You better get to Brady within 3 seconds or he is going to pick you apart!!

These moves are designed so that the Ty Laws of the world can no longer go one on one with our 3rd WR (leaving the rest of the DBs to double Moss and Welker). This offense is gonig to be absolutely sick!

Plus the Pats still have 6 picks in the top 100 picks in the upcoming draft.

Re: Pats sign Galloway

New England has clearly established itself as the place to go for players who aren't getting what they want on the free agent market.

Play with the best for a year. Maybe win a ring. Then earn major bucks in free agency.

Totally! NEP has made careers for many players and coaches. Pretty much everyone has his career best in here. There are very few that went else where and outperformed his prouction here. Team is a magnet for free agents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back