PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots sign Joey Galloway [mergedx4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pats sign Galloway

One word:

SMOKESCREEN!

Pats will go after a WR early in the draft.

Great signing. JG is old, but he can still burn. As much as I like Holt, I prefer Galloway cuz he's a better fit IMO. Holt is likely to get more than 1 year from someone, and speed on the outside is really what we need. At this point, who are the WR's that make the final roster? Lewis plays special teams, but Welker, Moss, and Galloway do not.

Welker is a wicked Punt returner.

Not really impressed with this signing. I expect Moss, Welker, Lewis, Aiken, and Slater to fill the WR roles. My guess would be that Galloway doesn't make it through training camp. Reason being, the #3, 4, or 5 WR has to be a contributor on ST and he's too "seasoned" for that role

Re: Pats sign Galloway

One word:

SMOKESCREEN!

Pats will go after a WR early in the draft.

I don't see why people are associating the two things as mutually exclusive.

We just signed a guy who is one injury and a year removed from being one of the most productive wideouts in the league. Why would that be a smokescreen?

At the same time, we only signed him for a year. Any wideout we draft, with the possible exception of Robiskie, is unlikely to pay dividends in their rookie year.

Not really impressed with this signing. I expect Moss, Welker, Lewis, Aiken, and Slater to fill the WR roles. My guess would be that Galloway doesn't make it through training camp. Reason being, the #3, 4, or 5 WR has to be a contributor on ST and he's too "seasoned" for that role

Unless I'm forgetting something, once they became contributors as receivers Gaffney, Givens & Patten, the most recent #3's that spring to mind, primarily contributed as receivers only.

In fact, the notion that the wide receiver position would supply gunners and ST contributors, to me, is a recent trend w the addition of Washington, Aiken and now Lewis.

In an offense that runs out of the shotgun half the time and has 3 wideouts on the field half the time, it would be crazy not to have that #3 wide receiver be determined based on receiving capabilities.

As long as he's healthy, Galloway will make the roster, and he will be the #3 wideout.

And we will draft a wide receiver either way.

Last edited:
Guess I'm not the only one excited about this move:

Scouts Inc. likes Galloway move for Patriots - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

Writing on Tim Graham's AFC East blog on ESPN.com, Williamson opines:

In New England, Galloway is going to run a lot of streak and post routes -- and often against single coverage. The other teams in the AFC East are not particularly deep at the cornerback position. Galloway is still capable of abusing average cover men when he is healthy and fresh. Needless to say, Brady is not bashful about throwing the long ball and few do it as well. Expect big plays. This signing is just one more reason why I expect to see the Patriots back in a huge way in 2009.

Could be a ridiculous addition if Galloway can stay healthy and still has the speed he's known for.

If so, Galloway will present insane coverage mismatches against most any nickel back that will have a great QB like Brady licking his chops.

How many defenses will have a nickel back that is capable of covering Galloway m2m? Few will be fast enough to keep up with him. And those who are fast enough won't have the coverage skills to stay with the wily vet, else they'd be the starter and not a backup in the first place.

So, what's a defense to do? There are only so many doubles available on each play and whatever DB isn't being helped out will get Brady's full attention and will be made to pay no doubt about it.

If Galloway stays healthy this could be very fun to watch!

Not sure if anyone made this comparison yet... probably not as it's a stretch but

Celtics Big Three
Garnett-Pierce-Allen

Patriots Big Three
Moss-Welker-Galloway

First commands the most attention, middle gets the tough points, last gets key points?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft