PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Sign Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
RayClay said:
I just feel they haven't made a good faith effort to replace the talent level at this position.

If they needed to, they would have.

Never question Beioli. Never.

:)

pats1 said:
If they needed to, they would have.

Never question Beioli. Never.

:)
Bill Belichick and Scott Pioli are human beings; and, as such, have made (in the past) and will make (in the future) mistakes. "Never question" them? Please do not insult my limited intelligence.
Opening Day is about 5 weeks away; let's see how the final 53 shakes out then. In the meantime, I will hold my tongue and hope that the approx. $10-$15 MILLION cap space will be filled to its maximum potential.

RayClay said:
I'm saying they made no effort to replace his talent and the bodies they have at linebacker are less "valuable" to put it another way.

FA was very thin in the LB department this year. I am pretty sure that's why McG. got the $$$ he did.

My best guess: the 53 squad this year will have less LB and more DB than last year. More nickel and dime packages.

Jimke said:
Last year we tried to put a square peg into a round hole by using

Chad Brown as an inside linebacker. Let's not make the same mistake

twice. Besides, we need a third outside linebacker to rotate with

Vrable and Colvin and TBC may not be the answer.

Bingo!

Depth, training camp competition, blah blah blah.

RayClay said:
I just feel they haven't made a good faith effort to replace the talent level at this position.
I just don't know how any of us can make a statement like this.

First, you don't know WHAT 'effort' they made. Its beyond me how people can make such a statement about the best front office in football. No, they're not perfect, but they HAVE been right more often than any other NFL FO through this decade, and at the very least, their 'effort' ought to be a given.

Second, this supposes that there are ALWAYS available linebackers that fit your scheme at a price that works within your budget AND will provide that upgrade you're looking for. That is an unreasonable assumption.

Thirdly, this is your feeling on the first day of training camp. You don't know that they haven't handled this linebacker situation entirely correctly. You don't know that Beisel might prove to be a real contributor. You don't know that Mincey wasn't a shrewd pick. You don't know that leaving Brown on the outside this year might help him contribute more. Only time will tell.

STARTERS (4): Vrabel,Bruschi,Beisel,Colvin
VET BACKUPS (2-3): Banta-Cain,Gardner,Brown
YOUNGSTERS: (1-2) Mincey,Alexander,Roach,Mays,Woods,Klecko
SPECIAL TEAMERS: (2) Davis,Izzo
--------------------------------------------
TOTAL (9-10)
--------------------------------------------
Brown is very inexpensive insurance, primarily at OLB. He is certainly valuable in camp, since he knows the defenses. There is no reason to believe that any of the youngsters will get many reps in their first year, absent more than one injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes