PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Sign Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remix 6 said:
hes almost done with his career
i see him as a backup to outside. last year..TBC and Brown played in the last game of season

so our depth would look like

OLB: Vrabel-Brown-Mincey
ILB: Bruschi-Claridge-Izzo
ILB: Beisel-Claridge-Davis
OLB: Colvin-TBC-Alexander

missing a few but point is TBC and Brown look to be primary OLB backups
Geez I don't know. Claridge as backup on both inside spots. Imo this guy is fighting for his football life after deciding to not stick around Foxboro after getting hurt. He should have rehabbed here and attended all the meetings ect... to learn the defense. This couldn't have earned him any bonus points with BB.

Last edited by a moderator:
The depth is an issue but they could always move Vrabel inside in case of an injury if a Brown or TBC is OK outside.

RayClay said:
I'm saying McGinest is more talented than Mincey or an undrafted free agent.

You disagree?
It depends on how the undrafted free agent plays, and how WMG plays. That was his point.

How each compares in July is meaningless. It is the comparative worth of each tothe team next December/January that will matter, and of course, the value of each.

Don't neglect WMG's $8 mil price tag. Keeping him would prevent us from signing players like Tebuckey and Chad Brown. And also good players.

Remix 6 said:
hes almost done with his career
i see him as a backup to outside. last year..TBC and Brown played in the last game of season

so our depth would look like

OLB: Vrabel-Brown-Mincey
ILB: Bruschi-Claridge-Izzo
ILB: Beisel-Claridge-Davis
OLB: Colvin-TBC-Alexander

missing a few but point is TBC and Brown look to be primary OLB backups

I think you need to fit Roach in there somewhere IMHO based on everything I have been reading this kid is going to make the roster. Might be at the expense of Davis or Izzo .

Crowpointer said:
Geez I don't know. Claridge as backup on both inside spots. Imo this guy is fighting for his football life after deciding to not stick around Foxboro after getting hurt. He should have rehabbed here and attended all the meetings ect... to learn the defense. This couldn't have earned him any bonus points with BB.

I believe the Patriots told him to go back to Vegas and work out. So it's a little unfair to characterize him thusly.

Patriotic Fervor said:
I believe the Patriots told him to go back to Vegas and work out. So it's a little unfair to characterize him thusly.

I agree. People are just heaping blame on Besiel and Brown quite unfairly. I'm not saying they were all that great, but certainly not as bad as people make them out to be. Scapegoats indeed.

ctpatsfan1 said:
I think you need to fit Roach in there somewhere IMHO based on everything I have been reading this kid is going to make the roster. Might be at the expense of Davis or Izzo .

No. Davis and Izzo are here to stay - losing them or replacing them with Roach would give the Pats a special teams and leadership dropoff they wouldn't want to encounter.

Corey Mays, Freddie Roach, and Pierre Woods – Corey Mays looked pretty good in mini-camp, showing decent speed and the ability to recognize plays. He could find a spot on the practice squad. Freddie Roach and Pierre Woods were both signed as undrafted rookie free agents in May. Roach had two knee injuries in college, which pushed him down the draft boards. He looked a little slow moving laterally in mini-camp, but with a strong training camp, he has a shot for the practice squad as well. Woods didn’t play to his potential at Michigan, and didn’t show much at mini-camp. He seems to be a long shot to make the roster.

pats1 said:
I agree. People are just heaping blame on Besiel and Brown quite unfairly. I'm not saying they were all that great, but certainly not as bad as people make them out to be. Scapegoats indeed.

True. In Beisel's case, I think he played much better later in the season. But the memories of his poor early-season play left a more lasting impression on many fans. Myself included, perhaps.

Lamanai said:
True. In Beisel's case, I think he played much better later in the season. But the memories of his poor early-season play left a more lasting impression on many fans. Myself included, perhaps.

People tend to forget that Beisel and Brown weren't brought in to exclusively be starters last year, much less a starters with a decimated secondary behind them.

RayClay said:
I'd love to look up the comments about the "savvy vet" from last year when Bruschi was out.

I'm too lazy, though. I've got nothing against recycling veterans that might help. Usually I'm against the splashy move.

However, I believe our talent at linebacker has continuosly declined and we need a recharge.

Willie McGinest Vrabel Colvin outside. Bruschi Phifer Johnson inside.

Compare that to what we have now and, even scarier what we'll have in the future or covering injuries.

We need to stock the pond as well as using the retreads and low or no round picks.

Every year's roster is going to be different. Some positions will be deep and be strengths, while others may be thin and be weaknesses.

Think back to the secondary of 2003-04. Earthwind. Harris. Cherry. Mayer. Reid.

Now think of today. Hawkins. Jones. Sanders. Warfield. Gay.

That position is much deeper than it was 2-3 years ago, just how LB isn't as deep.

Last edited:
ctpatsfan1 said:

I was amazed he didn't get drafted. He was an outstanding player at Alabama.

pats1 said:
Every years' roster is going to be different. Some positions will be deep and be strengths, while others may be thin and be weaknesses.

Think back to the secondary of 2003-04. Earthwind. Harris. Cherry. Mayer. Reid.

Now think of today. Hawkins. Jones. Sanders. Warfield. Gay.

That position is much deeper than it was 2-3 years ago, just how LB isn't as deep.

Great point. TODAY we look better. I sent in a question to Patriots.com back in 04':

"I've never been so excited for a Pats season than the one coming up. The defense looks quite "deep" and I hope We can utilize the power effectively. I would like to know your opinion on who may be the defensive starters this year. Rookies and Vets included. I have a strange feeling we may meet Dallas in the Super Bowl."-2004

Answer:
OK, here’s my guess for opening day assuming all are healthy: Keith Traylor (NT), Richard Seymour (DE), Ty Warren (DE), Willie McGinest (OLB), Tedy Bruschi (ILB), Roman Phifer (ILB), Mike Vrabel (OLB), Ty Law (CB), Asante Samuel (CB), Rodney Harrison (SS) and Eugene Wilson (FS).

What did we do that year???

We'll be fine. I can't wait!

Chad Brown spent the entire year last year, trying to learn ILB. Why would he then be thrown over to OLB? I could be wrong, but I thought he started to get the hang of it toward the end of the year. I see him as challenging for backup ILB.

I hated him all season last year, but then I saw a picture of him after the Denver loss. He was sitting at his locker and he was leaning over with his face in his hands. It was a really compelling picture because it captured exactly what all of NE was feeling at the time.:(

When I saw that picture, I became a Chad Brown fan. I hope he gets one more chance at a ring.

belichickaholic said:
Chad Brown spent the entire year last year, trying to learn ILB. Why would he then be thrown over to OLB? I could be wrong, but I thought he started to get the hang of it toward the end of the year. I see him as challenging for backup ILB.

I hated him all season last year, but then I saw a picture of him after the Denver loss. He was sitting at his locker and he was leaning over with his face in his hands. It was a really compelling picture because it captured exactly what all of NE was feeling at the time.:(

When I saw that picture, I became a Chad Brown fan. I hope he gets one more chance at a ring.
It's easy for us to get pissed. There were high expectations for all the players and it really hurts when it goes down the tubes. Im on Chad's side and all the other players-
Last year won't go away until we wrap this season up successfully to prove the haters and critics wrong again.

Last year we tried to put a square peg into a round hole by using

Chad Brown as an inside linebacker. Let's not make the same mistake

twice. Besides, we need a third outside linebacker to rotate with

Vrable and Colvin and TBC may not be the answer.

His salary may be $810K, but with the vet min salary rule he will only count for $475K. That seems worth it to take a flyer on the guy and see if he can contribute as a backup OLB. He is experienced and now has a year under his belt learning their defense. Best case, he is a valuable role player as a backup LB/3rd down rusher. If not, they cut the guy and are no worse off.

Seems like a typical Pats signing.

Patriotic Fervor said:
Even if that is true how can you put him above Izzo and Davis on that depth chart until he actually gets on the field and earns his spot above them. Thats the one thing about BB is that he doesn't hand anything to anybody until they earn it.

Crowpointer said:
Even if that is true how can you put him above Izzo and Davis on that depth chart until he actually gets on the field and earns his spot above them. Thats the one thing about BB is that he doesn't hand anything to anybody until they earn it.

Because Izzo and Davis won't be starting at LB anytime soon. They're primarily special teams guys, which means players like Brown, TBC, Beisel, Mincey, Klecko, and Claridge are ahead of them.

mgcolby said:
I was amazed he didn't get drafted. He was an outstanding player at Alabama.

I think he got a 4 on the Wonderlic.

pats1 said:
Because Izzo and Davis won't be starting at LB anytime soon. They're primarily special teams guys, which means players like Brown, TBC, Beisel, Mincey, Klecko, and Claridge are ahead of them.
That's right they backups and Special teams players. The original post listed Claridge as the primary backup to Beisel and Bruschi. I'm sorry we're in trouble in one of those guys goes down and a guy who went back to vegas instead of staying in Foxboro is ahead of Davis and Izzo as Backups. It took Beisel a whole year to learn that inside spot and he was an NFL vet who played and was not on IR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call