PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Sign Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chad played in about 5 plays at Denver, mainly in the nickel package alongside Vrabel. Made a good openfield tackle on Rod Smith after a catch to deny a first down on 3rd down.

RayClay said:
Give him a few more years and he'll be a whiz.

Of course he'll be 42 years old.:rolleyes:

Hey, it's nice to have a savvy vet around a young group of guys in Beisel, TBC, Claridge, Mincey, Alexander, and Klecko. Plus the UDFAs.

RayClay said:
Well, that would give us three LBs that failed last year.

Looks like McGinest is a net loss, unless you consider a 6th round pick a replacement for a 6th overall.

One definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

You maybe right but it is not necesarily "doing the same thing".

Brown was failed at ILB. If he was in at OLB rotation I expect he would do much better.
Plus he is now a year removed from his injury and played OLB towards end of last year when
the D was much better and he has experience now in this system. All pluses this year.

You might be right about Besiel but if PATs gave up on players after one
year Bruschi might even be around. I think Besiel will surprise everyone
this year.
ILB depth is the question.

Last edited:
pats1 said:
Hey, it's nice to have a savvy vet around a young group of guys in Beisel, TBC, Claridge, Mincey, Alexander, and Klecko. Plus the UDFAs.

I'd love to look up the comments about the "savvy vet" from last year when Bruschi was out.

I'm too lazy, though. I've got nothing against recycling veterans that might help. Usually I'm against the splashy move.

However, I believe our talent at linebacker has continuosly declined and we need a recharge.

Willie McGinest Vrabel Colvin outside. Bruschi Phifer Johnson inside.

Compare that to what we have now and, even scarier what we'll have in the future or covering injuries.

We need to stock the pond as well as using the retreads and low or no round picks.

Phifer still plays doesnt he?

Last edited by a moderator:
pats1 said:
If Vrabel stays outside, he may just be their main ILB backup, depending on what Claridge does.
oh boy. i can't say I'm real comfortable with that.
Guess we'll see.

Remix 6 said:
Phifer still plays doesnt he?
Yep hes with the Giants, though he didnt play a game last year.

RayClay said:
Willie McGinest Vrabel Colvin outside. Bruschi Phifer Johnson inside.

Compare that to what we have now and, even scarier what we'll have in the future or covering injuries.

We need to stock the pond as well as using the retreads and low or no round picks.

Then: Willie McGinest Vrabel Colvin outside. Bruschi Phifer Johnson inside.
Now: Chad Brown Vrabel Colvin outside. Bruschi Beisel ????? inside.

You are right .... there is concern but is seems mostly in the guys that
will roate for the starters.
Also remember BB has the option of going 4 - 3 when needed.
Then the LB core is real solid with good experienced depth.

Chad will add depth. I know the intro with Chad and Monty was sad- but I have high hopes for Monty (he'll do better this year) and I think Chad has one left in him to help us out. Chad is best at OLB and he still has good athletic abilities- he has played FB and TE before (not in the NFL)

He CAN tackle too- he may have lost a step and has grown older-but I think we'll find the perfect place for him.

I'm not familiar with Ryan and Jeremy that much-but we need to think of the D as a WHOLE- we'll fit everyone in-everyone will communicate better-Rodney will be back. Last year was such an emotional year-we'll be back and we will get revenge on Denver one way or another. That was one of the worst games ever.:cool:

no no no Phifer isnt with Giants anymore..hes a FA i think because he was on a 1 yr contract because they needed some LBs end of year and he went on IR

Jeezus...I can think of better ways to spend $810K..

not a horrible alternative though in the event of an injury to Colvin or Vrabel...

RayClay said:
Well, that would give us three LBs that failed last year.

Looks like McGinest is a net loss, unless you consider a 6th round pick a replacement for a 6th overall.

One definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

Why do people INSIST on this comparison of draft position meaning anything. I guess that we should be rooting for Drewpy to take over the reigns from Brady since he was a 1st overall and Brady a measely 199th pick.

McGinest was 6th over-all 13 years ago. That and $2 will get you a Starbucks coffee.

With all the money the Pats have and they go and sign CHAD BROWN? What the hell are they doing? This is ridiculous! Oh well, the Pats will still win the superbowl this year with tight players they already have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chad bleeping Brown...

What a head scratching move this is. Maybe TBC is not ready? :confused:

DaBruinz said:
Why do people INSIST on this comparison of draft position meaning anything. I guess that we should be rooting for Drewpy to take over the reigns from Brady since he was a 1st overall and Brady a measely 199th pick.

McGinest was 6th over-all 13 years ago. That and $2 will get you a Starbucks coffee.

I'm saying McGinest is more talented than Mincey or an undrafted free agent.

You disagree?

i'm at very least...very surprised...

honestly this is unexpected...let's hope he will help more this year then last one (and i do not know if he will make the team anyway imho)

He isn't on the opening day roster yet. Just because they signed him doesn't mean they wasted thier money, etc. Let's wait and see if he even makes it out of camp then I'll complain about a backup LB signing:D

Part of the problem for C Brown last year was where he was forced to play due to injuries & Johnson's retirement, he was supposed to be outside, not inside. If he makes the team he will be depth and a pass rushing OLB. I an ideal world TCB and Mincey will back up Vrabel and Colvin.

C Broown coulsd also free up Vrabel if BB needs to move him inside.

Chad Brown is being brought in strictly for depth at OLB. There is no signing bonus, so the financial commitment is negligible. Unless there are one or more injuries he'll probably be cut at the end of training camp and hang out there on the Shadow Roster. There are always injuries....we just don't know which unit will be affected most.

I don't have any problem at all with this signing. But I don't see him on the 53-man roster either.

Let's see how he does in TC. I doubt if they try to put him inside again. Maybe he will make the team and maybe he won't.

I look at him as being a 10 to 12 play guy to give one of the OLB a rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back