PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Release Dominique Easley

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a wasted first round pick for a team without a first round pick. Even Ras-IR stayed around (a little bit) longer than this.

It makes no sense, I wonder what he did. The move comes with a bigger cap hit, than just IRing him again.

Why not at least try to trade him?

Should be interesting in the next few days if we hear of any other teams taking a flyer on Easley.

Wow. I assume there must be something else.

When he played he was down right dominant at times. I wonder what is going on.

Patriots release former first-round pick Dominique Easley

Dominique Easley has been released by the Patriots. A first-round pick in 2014, Easley came to the league dogged by injury concerns and his first two seasons in the NFL ended on injured reserve.
Wow. That's all I have to say for right now. Such a disappointment. I am desperately curious as to what happened.

Agreed with some of the prior posts now regarding the cap hit. Most likely off the field to take that hit over injury concerns.

Last edited:
**** i really wanted to see him again this year. Moron

Has to be an off-field thing. Cutting him cost the team more than carrying him, and he was pretty effective when he played.

Speculation that they're moving to a 3-4 doesn't make a ton of sense, either. Even with Easley gone their personnel is still mostly geared towards a 4-3. Their NT would be Knighton, and Brown and Branch as DEs? Even if that was the case, there's literally no depth at any of those positions after that. Chris Long and Ninkovich, the assumed OLBs, are both much more effective with their hand on the ground than standing up, and I'm not sure Long has played any OLB at all.

Did this guy have any character concerns coming out of college?

None that I'm aware of. He made comments before about not liking to watch football (I.e other games, nothing about tape) but loving to play it and learn it. But guys like Matt Light said that in the past, too, so I never thought of it as a big deal.

or at least until 6/1 for cap purposes

Speaking of which could they have designated him as a post-6/1 cap hit (which, IIRC, means carrying the full hit until then?).

Did this guy have any character concerns coming out of college?

He went to Florida. What else do you need to know? It's been a pipeline of failure and character concerns.

Hernandez, Spikes, Cunningham, Chad Jackson, Easley--who else am I missing?

this is what happens when you draft guys with injury histories....sometimes it works, a la Gronkowski, but more often than not, it falls flat on its face - Easley, Dowling, etc....Pats always looking in the discount draft bins at bldg 19 - atta boy Krafty Bob!

Can't imagine it's just injury related. PP Rich Hill on twitter was speculating it's about moving back to a 3-4, not really buying that either. Probably something ugly is gonna pop up that would impell BB to take the cap hit...
Thats not it. He played in a 3-4 at FL.

I just hope he didn't harm anyone. The team does not need that.

It's either an off-field thing or his knees are so bad that he basically can't be expected to ever play football again. But it was just a straight waive, not a waived-injured, right? Does the latter designation exist at this point in the offseason?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back