PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Release Dominique Easley

Status
Not open for further replies.
So as of now his cap hit is a reportedly 3.6. If he played it would have been 1.9. So you think if he gets claimed it would be 1.0 Million?

That would be even better. I hope you're right.

Actually, looking at Miguel's pages, I'm not sure where the $3.6M figure comes from. [I'm not saying it's wrong, though.]

He has $900K in SB proration in 2016 and 2017, which can't fall off the cap. So either the Pats take $1.8M now or $900K now and $900K in 2017.

He has $1M in guaranteed salary this year; that drops off if he's claimed off waivers.

This moves to me says the Pats are going to double dip at DT in this loaded DT draft class.

I don't know that they're going to do that. One, maybe, but two seems a stretch. [Yes, I know they have a whole bunch of gone-next-year folks, but I think some of them could be extended.]

Those new reports about character questions certainly put his statement that he likes the movie Chucky because "he's just a prankster" into a new light...

I wonder, was it possible to find out about his character concern simply through the interview process and a bit of research into his background at college? If the answer is positive, then the decision to draft him by Belichick/Lombardi/whoever supported the pick is pretty much indefensible. You don't draft a player with injury and character concerns in the first round. No matter how talented he is.

Those new reports about character questions certainly put his statement that he likes the movie Chucky because "he's just a prankster" into a new light...

I wonder, was it possible to find out about his character concern simply through the interview process and a bit of research into his background at college? If the answer is positive, then the decision to draft him by Belichick/Lombardi/whoever supported the pick is pretty much indefensible. You don't draft a player with injury and character concerns in the first round. No matter how talented he is.

I'm not sure how much stock I'd put into someone claiming that they're a prankster or that they like a certain (stupid) movie, but yes, the decision to draft him was a bit of a head scratcher. I'd have to imagine that they were rather pissed when they found out that he had dog bites on his hands, wrist, arms, ankles, and legs as soon as he showed up for the post-draft visit/presser.

Of course, he does have obvious talent, so I wouldn't count him out just yet. I'm sure there will be plenty of interested teams before tomorrow afternoon. Now we don't have a first round pick in 2/3 past years, which does change my mind a bit about it not being that big of a deal.

I don't know that they're going to do that. One, maybe, but two seems a stretch. [Yes, I know they have a whole bunch of gone-next-year folks, but I think some of them could be extended.]

I tend to agree with you, although there's always the chance that some of those 5 sixth rounders will simply be darts thrown at the wall, and that may include some positions like DT.

One thing's for sure--and that is that DT just moved up a couple of notches in terms of potential needs/wants, however one may put it. I'm also not quite as sure that we'll be trading one of the top 4 picks like I've been thinking.

The whole story gives me indigestion. I'm kind of pissed and disappointed by this news, and normally I'm not one to fuss over who leaves.

I agree. Florida. Florida State is fine, but stay away from Florida.

I'm highly disappointed. I had high hopes for him. Watch the Jets pick him up and wreak havoc. They're better be a damn good reason to release him. Damn good.
Because that's what the Jets are known for in this century. Picking up the Pat's castoffs who then proceed to wreck havoc. Ridley certainly knocked them out over there.

After reading Volin's article, I'm still surprised they cut him now. They could have kept him on the 90 man roster, see how things work out during training camp, and still have tried to trade him for something. I feel like there must be something more there. Considering the issues with the dogs, I'm wondering if he was involved in dog fighting which could explain this sudden move. Just speculating.

I'm not sure how much stock I'd put into someone claiming that they're a prankster or that they like a certain (stupid) movie, but yes, the decision to draft him was a bit of a head scratcher. I'd have to imagine that they were rather pissed when they found out that he had dog bites on his hands, wrist, arms, ankles, and legs as soon as he showed up for the post-draft visit/presser.

Of course, he does have obvious talent, so I wouldn't count him out just yet. I'm sure there will be plenty of interested teams before tomorrow afternoon. Now we don't have a first round pick in 2/3 past years, which does change my mind a bit about it not being that big of a deal.
I wasn't particularly serious on the Chucky part. But overall I'm really disappointed (in him). While the injury history with his knees is and will always be a huge monkey on his back he still has a tremendous first step. I watched him closely throughout the season and his burst off the line was extremely impressive. He could've been a valuable rotation part, even with his shot-up knees. For the Patriots to outright cut him in April after only two seasons means that there was some big disconnnect off the field going on and I'm giving the team the benefit of doubt in that case.

This is starting to sound like A-Perp, Part Deux.

Easley is a big loss, but this explains the signings of Marcus Kuhn and Pot Roast. That's still a formidable group in the middle with Knighton, Branch, Malcolm Brown, Kitchen and the depth guys (Kuhn, Vellano, and Chris Jones.)

It will be interesting to see what this is all about. Belichick never had a problem with addition by subtraction. If it makes Matt Patricia's job better by assembling a professional DL group, this is a good thing.

Well shouldn't they at least have tried to get something in return? Like trading for another player or getting another draft pick?
I agree that conventional wisdom dictates they try that first (be punitive and send him to the Browns or Jaguars even). And of course at this early stage we have no idea if they did. But in any event, the message that got sent today is much stronger than the message that would have been sent with a trade.

Also, as someone commented earlier (sorry I forgot who), it may be that if there is some criminal liability in this somewhere and if that's the case, it may be that they couldn't trade him and leave the team that takes him holding the bag. Seems like a bit of misrepresentation, but might be prohibited under the rules anyway, and we know that the "rules" apply to the Patriots.

Last edited:
Man you never know what this team could do on a day to day basis. Could wake up to trading for Bennett or Easley being cut lol. Sucks he didn't work out, must be a real problem in the locker room and off of the field. Add that in with him not being able to stay on the field, cant blame Belichick for letting him go.

Easley is a big loss, but this explains the signings of Marcus Kuhn and Pot Roast. That's still a formidable group in the middle with Knighton, Branch, Malcolm Brown, Kitchen and the depth guys (Kuhn, Vellano, and Chris Jones.)
None of the guys we signed is much of an interior pass rusher though. Fairley could've done it to a certain degree, but he chose to go to New Orleans. Between the Jones trade and Easley getting cut our pass rush has certainly been weakened this offseason, need to see what we can get out of the draft. In any case, I expect more 3-4 looks with the addition of Knighton and the loss of the two players on the front that suited the 3-4 the least with Jones and Easley.

I wouldnt be surprised to see him be productive somewhere else think Bengals Broncos Ravens Seahawks since they were interested in him and were suppose to be dejected we drafted him.
Yeah, based upon what we now know about Easley, it would be a real hoot to see him paired up with Marvin Lewis and those paragons of self-discipline in Cincinnati. Like driving a gasoline truck into a burning building. Get your popcorn ready...

This is all part of the BB FU tour to the NFL.. we don't need no stinking first round picks, Rogah!!!

Seymour was traded and no one ever kissed and told.. fast forward to Easley, there has to be more to this story and we may never know the details.. no way BB and krewe take on this cap hit without a major reason.

The guy is in stage 3 of the NFL's drug program less than 2 calender years since being drafted. I don't think we would have magically kept him clean.

And I'm using the same crystal ball you used to know Bryant would have picked up our offense and been a star here.

Todd Haley runs a pass first offense up in Pitt.

Evidently Bryant has a depression problem. Would he have gotten better help in NE? Maybe, but the facts are that he did a lot more to help his team win last season then LaFail. 9 receptions for 154 yards vs the Broncos last AFC Divisional championship.

After reading Volin's article, I'm still surprised they cut him now. They could have kept him on the 90 man roster, see how things work out during training camp, and still have tried to trade him for something. I feel like there must be something more there. Considering the issues with the dogs, I'm wondering if he was involved in dog fighting which could explain this sudden move. Just speculating.

That's where my head is at.

The team wanted no part of this distraction.

Easley - Bustola
Hernandez - Thug
Spikes - JAG
Cunningham - JAG
Chad Jackson :D - Dunce

Stay away from the U of Florida and dont listen to Urban Meyers draft tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back