PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots pick from Niners currently FIFTH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shhh!!! Don't tell Goodell he might take this pick for a Brady chin strap infraction.. or a so called late hit...

Reminder all--SF can't win this division or the pick becomes #21 at worst {INCORRECT}. Other than that, the tiebreaker is strength-of-schedule. The new NFL.com doesn't have strength-of-schedule up, hopefully they will soon.

Last edited:
Reminder all--SF can't win this division or the pick becomes #21 at worst. Other than that, the tiebreaker is strength-of-schedule. The new NFL.com doesn't have strength-of-schedule up, hopefully they will soon.

This is NOT correct. Except for the Superbowl teams, picks are in order of record. Playoff status is merely the first tie breaker.

For example: Denver had the 21st pick in 2007 draft, even though they didn't make the playoffs. The Giants made the playoffs at 8-8, and had the 20th pick.

This is NOT correct. Except for the Superbowl teams, picks are in order of record. Playoff status is merely the first tie breaker.

For example: Denver had the 21st pick in 2007 draft, even though they didn't make the playoffs. The Giants made the playoffs at 8-8, and had the 20th pick.

Oh yes, you are right! And I made the same mistake last year, thank you!

Last edited:
oh my god thats too ******* good

Here's a look at San Fran's remaining schedule:

Code:
8 NO 4:15 PM  ET   
9 @ATL 1:00 PM  ET   
10 @SEA 8:30 PM  ET   
11 STL 4:15 PM  ET   
12 @ARI 4:05 PM  ET   
13 @CAR 1:00 PM  ET   
14 MIN 4:05 PM  ET   
15 CIN 8:15 PM  ET   
16 TB 8:15 PM  ET   
17 @CLE 1:00 PM  ET

It doesn't exactly strike fear.

Code:

No, it doesn't strike fear, but how many of those teams are worse than the Niners? Only 2 as far as I can see.

Code:

True, but unless SF is gift-wrapped some more wins (see: Arizona & St. Louis), they will be fortunate to finish the season with < 10 losses.

What sucks is that they could easily be winless right now--they scored a TD with 26 seconds left to win in game one, and they hit a FG to take the lead with about 3 minutes left in game 2, with St. Louis missing their FG attempt at the end (it was a long attempt.) So something like 4-12 is definitely a possibility--figure that would be top 5.

At that point, I hope the Pats don't trade down--I don't really follow college ball, but the occasional high first round pick, particularly in the front 7, can drive a team for years.

What sucks is that they could easily be winless right now--they scored a TD with 26 seconds left to win in game one, and they hit a FG to take the lead with about 3 minutes left in game 2, with St. Louis missing their FG attempt at the end (it was a long attempt.) So something like 4-12 is definitely a possibility--figure that would be top 5.

At that point, I hope the Pats don't trade down--I don't really follow college ball, but the occasional high first round pick, particularly in the front 7, can drive a team for years.

And the signing bonuses in the top 5 can cripple a team for years. If we're that high, we'll trade down, and probably not get fair value in return.

what is the best the pick can get if they win all there games?

Trade down for two first rounders and get two defensive players.

Code:

I see 5-11. 4-13 at worst, 6-10 at best.

Guess we actually have to start rooting for the Jest/Lolphins to win some games this year? Oh, and godamn St. Louis as well, what a pathetic team this year...

I think if the Jets get a top 5 pick they might go for Darren McFadden, and wouldnt be competing for our LBs.

If the 49ers win all their remaining games the pick would be 31st overall, last in the first round.

Are you asking what's the best pick we can get if 49ers win all of the rest of the games they play? The best the pick can be in that case is 31st, as that would mean the Niners make the playoffs at 12-4, win throughout the playoffs, and win the Super Bowl. But dont worry it wount happen.

And the signing bonuses in the top 5 can cripple a team for years. If we're that high, we'll trade down, and probably not get fair value in return.

Fair value is whatever the market will bear. So almost by definition we will get fair value.

We won't get the value specified by the draft pick value chart, but that is because the chart makes no sense in the salary cap era. Chances are that some vestigial faith in the chart will give us the opportunity to trade down on very favorable terms relative to what the draft pick value chart should be.

Moreso then any desire to pay less money upfront, this is definitely not a big draft for ILBs which is the only area which would warrant a high pick. Unless Bill falls in love with somebody or another need comes through it would make sense to trade down.

49ers have the 32nd ranked offense in the NFL.

They average 13 points a game.

:rocker:

Fair value is whatever the market will bear. So almost by definition we will get fair value.

We won't get the value specified by the draft pick value chart, but that is because the chart makes no sense in the salary cap era. Chances are that some vestigial faith in the chart will give us the opportunity to trade down on very favorable terms relative to what the draft pick value chart should be.

That's what I meant by fair value. Teams will be able to hold us up for a high pick knowing that we have no desire to pick that high. When one market participant can hold up another, fair market value goes out the window. Of course, there are three franchise quarterbacks in this draft, so it could turn out that we can be the ones doing the hold up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News