PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What if Niners had gotten Jones?

We likely all heard back when Mac was drafted that Shanahan wanted him, but was overridden because of the hype on Trey Lance.
Nobody overruled Shanahan. He calls the shots.

We likely all heard back when Mac was drafted that Shanahan wanted him, but was overridden because of the hype on Trey Lance. Intriguingly, as bad as Mac has been, Lance has been worse. And, given Jones style, I do wonder if surrounded by the scheme and players the Niners have, he might not have been able to compete along lines similar to Purdy People will scream no, but consider how Purdy did when his team had serious injuries, and also consider how Jones looked his rookie year.
Of course, I would not have wanted Lance if the Niners had gotten Jones. I dont recall who else was still floating around at that point, but I'm suspecting it would not have been anyone better than where we are now. davis Mills might have been a little more serviceable, but his good moments are not even as good as Jones. Anyway, just a thought.
They would be where we are.

I think that is overstated. Mac started to become inconsistent when the defense stopped being lights out and allowing other teams to score points. That was a big part of what affected Mac. Prior to the blizzard game in Buffalo which marked the decline of Mac's play, the Pats defense gave up 27 or more points twice in 13 games (both losses to the Saints and Cowboys). After that, the only game they didn't give up 27 or more points was against Jacksonville. That included two games vs. Buffalo where the defense let Buffalo score on every meaningful drive in both games.
10 turned the ball over 8 times in those 4 losses. He helped the other team score points.

Oh and he completed 57% of his passes for 5.8 yards/pass

Last edited:
Unlikely for many reasons.
Not really. They wouldn’t have found Purdy. They wouldn’t have traded for McCaffrey. The receivers would be a shadow of what they are now.
Put a bad qb on any team and they can’t win.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back