PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots pick from Niners currently FIFTH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yikes. We wanted SF to be bad, but not THIS bad. Top 10 picks are pretty useless--the players want contracts that are too big. So much so that these picks are practically untradeable.

I think something in the 11-19 range is ideal. There are still great players in this range (Patrick Willis and Marshawn Lynch for example).

So c'mon SF, we need you to go 5-5 or so for the rest of the year.

New Orleans
@ Atlanta
@ Seattle
St. Louis
@ Arizona
@ Carolina
Minnesota
Cincinnati
Tampa Bay
@ Cleveland

Luckily 6 of these teams are under .500

Bingo. With a pick that high, Beoli might be able to actually draft a young ILB who can soon play for us.

Also, 3/5 of our nickel secondary are UFAs at the end of the season, and a 4th member is aging. We can surely use some help there.

LOL at the thought of BB picking an inside linebacker with a high 1st round pick. Don't you guys pay attention to history?
It's much more likely that BB trades down and gets two lower 1st round picks. That way he can take a CB and maybe if he feels generous a linebacker. But I wouldn't count on it LB lovers!

I think that a top 10 pick can be tradeable in next year's draft. That's because there are going to be at least 3 QB's rated as 1st rounders and teams in general are willing to overpay for potential franchise QBs.

Last edited:
Yikes. We wanted SF to be bad, but not THIS bad. Top 10 picks are pretty useless--the players want contracts that are too big. So much so that these picks are practically untradeable.

Those picks are not at ALL "practically untradeable," especially given how good this upcoming draft is supposed to be, and how full of franchise-ish QBs. The higher, the better. The more value. The more we can trade it to get multiple picks.

And the signing bonuses in the top 5 can cripple a team for years. If we're that high, we'll trade down, and probably not get fair value in return.

If the Patriots trade down we will likely get extremely good value, especially considering the way this team drafts. I'm not sure I understand where you're getting these theories. And that's setting aside the fact that there are rumblings that Goodell and the NFLPA are working on slotting rookie salaries far lower, and spreading the saved $$$ among proven veteran football players.

Moreso then any desire to pay less money upfront, this is definitely not a big draft for ILBs which is the only area which would warrant a high pick. Unless Bill falls in love with somebody or another need comes through it would make sense to trade down.

I don't know where you guys are coming from AT ALL - this IS a big draft for ILBs. And for LBs in general. What the Hell is going on????

I htought there wereseveral good LBs coming out. I haven't paid attention to DE/LB conversions because Belichick has said those are the most diffficult to scout. Mnay of the good 3-4 OLBs are not high draft picks.

For example Vrabel, 3rd; Rosey Colvin 4th; AD 5th; Phife 2nd; Bruschi originally an OLB 3rd; et cetera

That's what I meant by fair value. Teams will be able to hold us up for a high pick knowing that we have no desire to pick that high. When one market participant can hold up another, fair market value goes out the window. Of course, there are three franchise quarterbacks in this draft, so it could turn out that we can be the ones doing the hold up.

I don't agree with this. If BB isn't offered superior value, he is willing to use a high pick. I believe that Richard Seymour the #6 overall pick in the 2001 draft.

They better be careful about rushing Alex Smith back. They need him. But, he has a bad shoulder. And, they have a lousy OL. A recipe for disaster. Anyone remember Bledsoe in 95?

SF still has a chance to win division, no? if they don't, what do you think the chances are that no one will trade up or down with you? That would be funny, eh??

my post from the draft board.....

As it stands right now, if the season ended today the SF pick would be #5, with SF horrid strength of schedule (due mostly to 2 games against St. Louis) breaking a log jam at 2-4.

Well in the next two weeks San Fran which may or may not get their QB back this week, is playing at home verus New Orleans, and then they travel to Atlanta.

After that they have to travel to Seattle, and then host St. Louis.

I guessing that they will lose in Seattle, but they have three very winnable games coming up in the next four weeks. If they somehow lose all of them, then we are easily looking at a top 5 pick. Either way, the next few weeks will go along way towards the positioning of this draft pick. Losing to either St. Louis, Atlanta or New Orleans not only pushes them closer to the worst record, it also will give any of those other "bad" teams another win.

I watched the game last week, and they are absolutely awful! Dilfer is killing them, and if Smith can't make it back, they are in serious trouble.

They finish with:

at Arizona
at Carolina
home to Minn
home to Cincy
home to Tampa
at Cleveland

I'm guessing that, at best they would be 2-4 in this stretch, although 0-6 is also very likely.

LOL at the thought of BB picking an inside linebacker with a high 1st round pick. Don't you guys pay attention to history?
It's much more likely that BB trades down and gets two lower 1st round picks.

Hey, I'm paying attention to history! It tells me that BB has never done what you say history says he does. :)

The last top-10 pick the Patriots had was in 2001. They used it, on Richard Seymour. The last top-15 pick the Patriots had was 2003. They traded up, for Ty Warren. BB will absolutely pull the trigger on a high draft pick to get a top talent.

Top 10 picks are pretty useless--the players want contracts that are too big.

A #1 or #2 pick is certainly too expensive. A #9 or #10 pick can be a bargain. You're still generally in the top echelon of talent, and last year's #10 signed a 6-year contract for less than $3 million/year. Looking at the top ILBs of the past couple of years -- Patrick Willis, AJ Hawk -- I think the Patriots would have been delighted to offer them that kind of deal. They never had the chance. And given the current FA market, a stud CB would be an even bigger bargain (they've been mighty scarce lately, though.)

What sucks is that they could easily be winless right now--they scored a TD with 26 seconds left to win in game one,
Ugh - don't remind me... that was the TD where the 49ers played fumbled on the 1 into the end zone and an AZ player had a golden chance to recover - or just swat the damn thing out of the end zone - but SF recovered in the end zone. (The ball was returned to the spot of the fumble and they scored on the next play).

And the signing bonuses in the top 5 can cripple a team for years. If we're that high, we'll trade down, and probably not get fair value in return.
Huh..? :confused: I mean, I suppose any stupid signing bonus could cripple a team for years, but I have faith the Patriots wouldn't do such a thing. They would do their typical "Here's our offer... accept it or sit out a year..." routine.

Something to keep in mind is that since our first rounder was stolen from us by Badell, that leaves more $$ to spend on the first rounder we do have.

To me, trading down to get 2 first rounders would make having lost our late first rounder hurt more. I know it's just a psychological thing, but still.

Well, the Patriots have used 1 top-10 pick in the Bill Belichick era, a fella named Richard Seymour. Not sure I consider that pick "useless".
I think something in the 11-19 range is ideal. There are still great players in this range (Patrick Willis and Marshawn Lynch for example).
There are absolutely no circumstances by which having a pick in the 11-19 range is more "ideal" than 1-10 (given that the pick comes from some other team). Worst case scenario for having a 1-10 draft pick is you trade down to 11-19 and have some other pick somewhere to show for it.

The Patriots have used 8 1st round draft picks under Belichick. 7 are still with the team, 6 are currently starters (when healthy) and the other played here for 5 years before moving on. I have faith that that trend will continue next year no matter where NE selects.

Last edited:
Being from Canada, i dont pay much attention to College Football, can anyone name names of possible ILBs or CBs who could go in the top ten, and the Pats would consider if they are up there?

So c'mon SF, we need you to go 5-5 or so for the rest of the year.

Don't be silly. Even if you can't make a good trade (get a late #2 or early #3 to move back 5 spots); you could still make a bad trade (get an extra 4th rounder) to move back those same five spots (from 6 to 11 say). [edit: and i would still rather have the higher pick]

Yeah a higher pick will cost more; but rookies are all subject to the rookie cap and unless you are the top 3 it the rate really does get set by what the top 3 guys do and I don't think the difference betwen #6 and #11 is as great as #1 to #6. And you can backload their cap hits a bit too.

I would sincerely love to see us sign Moss to a long term contract next year. If so that means due to cap room that Asante is GONE GONE GONE.

So yeah we are screaming for LB help now due to a perceived aging LB corps; but BB has proven he likes experienced LBs. Who knows where he will look to pick up someone elses cast-off next year. BUT, When it comes to off-season next year and you are staring at Hobbs and Gay as the starting 2 CBs - you'll drop a #5-10 pick on a CB and be darned happy for it.

Last edited:
My guesses for SF results:

L - New Orleans
W - @ Atlanta
L - @ Seattle
W - St. Louis
L? - @ Arizona (QB situation way too iffy)
L - @ Carolina
W - Minnesota
L - Cincinnati
L - Tampa Bay
L - @ Cleveland

So I have them at 5-11; with a possiblity of going 6-10.
In 2006:
5-11 was: tied for 5-6 spot picks
6-10 was: tied for 7-8-9 picks.

Either way you cut it; we should have a top 10 pick unless the gods are very angry.

What could be VERY INTERESTING; is with the Bills, Jets and Fish records is that all 4 AFCE teams could have picks in the top 10. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back