PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS NEWS Patriots Minicamp 6-13-2023

Breaking New England Patriots Team News
I don't understand the Parker love? Run after catch? Consistant seperation? Streches the field? Run blocking? TD production? Versitility? Third down conversions? No No No No No No No. He is one trick pony.
Led the team in DVOA (per play efficiency) at 40.4%. With 3 more catches to qualify he would have led all wide receivers in the league in DVOA.

More impressively, he was 19th in the league in DYAR (total production) and better than any other Pats receiver by that stat.

DYAR correlates more than DVOA with fan perception; the top 4 receivers in DYAR last year were Jefferson, Diggs, Waddle and Hill.

Parker was much better than Hopkins last year in both those stats. When healthy, he's pretty good.

DYAR and DVOA both are measures of the play, not the player, i.e. his 40% DVOA was measured on plays when he was targeted (box score Catches divided by Catch Rate).

EDIT: Juju was 21st in DYAR and 24th in DVOA last year, both of which were best for a KC WR (Kelce was #1 in TE DYAR and #7 in TE DVOA)

Last edited:
It is both too old and too young simultaneously

A bunch of average players at OT if Brown isn’t motivated. Their are 4-5 that aren’t bad…they are just average because of age or have always been average. Similar to Guy…Reiff is now average. IMO they should keep 10 OL because of this.

Last edited:
Trent Brown is a Beast and Pro Bowler at RT. Let Calvin Anderson play LT.
When he is on his game Trent is a beast no matter which side they line him up on.

The year he was selected for the Pro Bowl he was coming off a stellar year (and Super Bowl win) at left tackle with the Pats, and playing right tackle only because the Raiders already had an established left tackle on the roster.

I just hope he takes to Klemm’s coaching as well as he took to Scar’s. I remember reading that he said he really liked the way he was coached in his first stint with the Pats.

I’m wondering if part of his problem last season was how dysfunctional things became. He‘s one of the reasons I’m very hopeful hiring Klemm will make a big difference.

I’ll trust the coaches to figure out where Trent can best contribute, and what OL lineup will be best overall for the offense they want to run. IBWT!

Led the team in DVOA (per play efficiency) at 40.4%. With 3 more catches to qualify he would have led all wide receivers in the league in DVOA.

More impressively, he was 19th in the league in DYAR (total production) and better than any other Pats receiver by that stat.

DYAR correlates more than DVOA with fan perception; the top 4 receivers in DYAR last year were Jefferson, Diggs, Waddle and Hill.

Parker was much better than Hopkins last year in both those stats. When healthy, he's pretty good.

DYAR and DVOA both are measures of the play, not the player, i.e. his 40% DVOA was measured on plays when he was targeted (box score Catches divided by Catch Rate).

EDIT: Juju was 21st in DYAR and 24th in DVOA last year, both of which were best for a KC WR (Kelce was #1 in TE DYAR and #7 in TE DVOA)

This is one reason I’m lukewarm about signing DHop. We have some good but under appreciated WRs on the team now.

Not sure if he is gone, but if they did release him it would be a gain of around $3.3M in cap space and almost zero dead money.
The patriots and Guy need to decide what Guy is worth for the 2023 and 2024 seasons, his last contract. Guy doesn't need the practice time. I wouldn't be surprised if Guy just wants some guaranteed money, instead of worrying whether he will be cut when Bill needs to the cap space.

I dunno. Sans Brown that's pretty weak group and one injury away from being a complete dumpster fire.
It's a scary group. Especially on the left. Every time I read about Anderson taking first team reps there I cringe like I'm about to get blindsided.

Last season Juju played in the Super Bowl, his season was a lot longer than most. It makes sense he isn't practicing, he shouldn't.

As far as everyone else, whose starting, who is getting reps, who is out with a cramp... they have 90 guys they have to get reps for.

Certain vets are going sit, other guys are coming off injuries, "sure thing" players might sit so the backend of the roster guys and draftees can learn and separate themselves.

Don't read too much into it, it's not football until the pads come on. Young players need this more than old guys, but they need just enough vets out there showing them the way.

A bunch of average players at OT if Brown isn’t motivated. Their are 4-5 that aren’t bad…they are just average because of age or have always been average. Similar to Guy…Reiff is now average. IMO they should keep 10 OL because of this.

Agreed. The issue with average guys is that when they get dinged up, which always happens, they fall off quickly.

WAY too much inference is being made on who is starting or not. THIS is the time when coaches are looking at all kinds of combinations of personnel combinations. Who cares what combination of OLmen are starting during a shorts and t-shirt practice.

You know I can get geeked when someone is looking good like Mac and Mapu have done so far as much as the next guy. But in the great scheme of things these are TEACHING practices There are a significant number of players who have to learn the language and get comfortable. The entire offense is new, though the language remains the same.

Especially on the OL and DL, nothing can be learned until they put on the Pads What we are getting from the press is nothing but filler. Its their JOB to create content. So a McDermott getting more first Reps than Reiff is relatively "big news" for the content starved media. It means nothing as to who is starting or not. Talk to me AFTER the first week of TC. And even at that point it will be very early to make blanket projections. (Not that this truism will stop anyone and everyone from doing just that. ;))

Last edited:
Anybody know what type of injury is K Boutte dealing with??

Final minicamp practice cancelled. Bill and Bob clearly didn’t want anything to distract the press and fans from the announcement later today that Hopkins has been signed. :evil:

As a mathematician, I believe some of these stats are relevant for teams but not for players. The main reason the coaches didn't use him more is becuase they didn't believe he could do more. It not like there where other options, Myers wasn't so good that it hurt his touches. He is just not an effective 1st or 2nd option. The team forced the Jones/Parker conection early in the season, and it failed. The purpose of the Hopkins signing is to replace him.

Last season Juju played in the Super Bowl, his season was a lot longer than most. It makes sense he isn't practicing, he shouldn't.

As far as everyone else, whose starting, who is getting reps, who is out with a cramp... they have 90 guys they have to get reps for.

Certain vets are going sit, other guys are coming off injuries, "sure thing" players might sit so the backend of the roster guys and draftees can learn and separate themselves.

Don't read too much into it, it's not football until the pads come on. Young players need this more than old guys, but they need just enough vets out there showing them the way.
Not following you on the bolded part. His former teammates who played in the same game are practicing.

Still agree not to read too much into it. It's a minicamp, players and staff play it safer with some injuries at this point. Nothing to see here.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back