PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS NEWS Patriots Training Camp 7-26-2023

Breaking New England Patriots Team News
Seems reasonable... But then I start thinking of the last play in the below clip... Both Free Safeties DMac & Harmon were on the field there, as well as the execrable Terry Brooks...

Sorry, I should clarify: I don't mean they don't put players whose primary position is FS out there in that situation, just that the responsibilities of those players shift more to those of a SS. So McCourty, who would normally be a single high deep cover zone guy, now is covering a tight end, or a shallow zone, etc.

they haven’t worn pads yet so hard to say. He passed the conditioning test. Looked good, per BB. Seemed relaxed and comfortable in the post practice interviews. Said the right things about Klemm and BOB. When asked about next year sidesteppEd nicely but didn’t slam the door. I’m looking forward hopefully to watching him forcefeed their words to all the naysayers. What I saw in his interviews yesterday seemed a good start. Just need to see it on the field. Looking forward to that, coming up soon.
Thank you for the update

The starting guard is out indefinitely, and two guards were drafted in the 4th round.
Who said he is out indefinitely? I have not heard any report that he won’t be ready by the opener.

Who said he is out indefinitely? I have not heard any report that he won’t be ready by the opener.
I think he meant that he could be out for a while of camp. Not like a day-to-day guy. Which means the spot is sort of wide open during camp for someone to step up.

Everyone knows it's only day one, and they haven't been in pads.

But when there's a first year player stands out, the team has rewarded him with some first team reps from the start.

Malcom Butler was a UFA starting from the first day of practice, and I mentioned other OL examples.

Stuebler was ahead of Sow with reps. He's really first year. How is that not worth a mention?
You can’t compare evaluation of DBs/WRs and OL/DL in OTA. it is much easier to evaluate the former in unpadded 7v7 and 11v11, although it still is not obviously ideal.

Steuber obviously didn’t practice or play last year but he is a vet and has been in the system for a full year. May be as simple as building differential to veterans early on.

It's early and it's expected that the defense would have the upper hand at this point, especially considering they are both the better unit and are returning more players, and obviously I'm not concerned yet, but one thing that bugs me is having a team full of tall receivers and still going to Ty Montgomery so much in the redzone. They have struggled since 2020 just throwing the ball into the endzone and that's something I want to see worked on, not little dump offs to the back so he can try to run it in.
Bill the Coach hates touchdowns, think he'd rather trot out a kicker for a 27 yard FG than throw 3x into the end zone from the 10...I don't think we've witnessed a more risk-averse red zone offense than last year

I think he meant that he could be out for a while of camp. Not like a day-to-day guy. Which means the spot is sort of wide open during camp for someone to step up.
My belief is that if you have a starter in place and he is out temporarily it’s a different situation than if there is open competition for a position.

It is very rare for belichick to play rookies with the 1s on the first day of practice and it seems limited to the open competition cases.

Ultimately it doesn’t really matter because we are just people guessing at the meaning of something without knowing the details.

this duplicitous pond scum of a coach could not bring himself to say one positive thing about his quarterback today in his media availability....that act is so tired and isn't going to work in 2023

This may be ignorant on my part, so someone please correct me if I'm way off base: But IS there a FS really in the red zone? Feels like once the field gets condensed to around 20 yards, both safeties become de facto "Strong Safeties" anyway, because they're closer to the line by default, and no wide receiver is really going over the top.
I thought of that after I posted...duh...all red zone...but then also realized that they didn't take McCourty out last year in the RZ. So until we get non-RZ reps initial indicators MAY be FSBC (Free Safety By Committee)?

Hope OL doesnt end up being the glaring weakness it appears it could be.
At the very least it's good that the youngsters are getting decent reps. I'm not overly concerned yet, as they all seemingly should be back by the start of the season. Anderson concerns me the most though, as we push past reasonable recovery times for everyday illnesses.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back