PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Excluded - Your 3 AFC Teams To Beat in 2008.

Status
Not open for further replies.
No.....not in the big picture,.......In the AFC East....No....still don't see them stopping the Pats.....They may get in the playoffs backdoor and be the next Gints team......but we will STOMP them (to quote a horse toothed jacka## from NY).!!!

This is exactly why Pats fans are seen as arrogant...why do you assume you'll beat them?

Indy
SD
I was going to say Cleveland, but I can't. So... JAX.

Hmmm...Three teams ummm.....

Jets
Phins
&....Titans.....Yeah that sounds about right...:snob:

In all seriousness though i too would have to go with Colts, Bolts, and JAX

On a side not though i could see Cleveland making a run to take the North.

Division favorites: San Diego, Indy, Clev

WC: Jax and Denver

I picked Denver because they never seem to have more than one down year in a row.

I think the Patriots will take a step down (lose 3 games but still be formidable).

Way too early to say before the Draft and FA pickups and losses, but today I'd have it, in order:

Chargers
Jaguars
Colts

I almost took the Colts off, but figured that Eli's win will motivate the team beyond belief.

I've never believed in Big Ben and I'm not going to start now.

Browns definitely a dark horse. Also, I agree that we should keep our eye on Houston, but let's see how things go over the next couple of months.

Division favorites: San Diego, Indy, Clev

WC: Jax and Denver

I picked Denver because they never seem to have more than one down year in a row.

I think the Patriots will take a step down (lose 3 games but still be formidable).

Old Perdue face (Clayton) was on ESPN radio yesterday saying that he believes Denver will need to be patient because Shanny made too many changes on his aging defense all at once and they never gelled and his DC paid the price. Saw Lynch at the PB yesterday and he says he's not sure if he coming back. Clayton thinks they will continue to struggle. Thinks they have the right QB in place but not the right weapons on offense to make it work.

This is real early (before draft / trades / FA) but might as well take a stab at it: so this all based on the teams play as of this year! (in other words: don't hold me to this!)
  1. Agreeing with most people here that SD has the easiest division to contend with so that they can get away without Rivers for awhile to let him heal. Oak - what a mess there with crazy Al Davis giving players /coaches headaches! / KC - a lot more talent needed / Denv - too old in OL and DLs.
  • Indy - when have Payton with some good weapons (Clark / Wayne and Addai) u can't rule him out despite their OL and DL issues whicha re fixable in the offseason. The guy has won it so his experience (and team's) would be an asset. An interesting thing to see if Dungy's 'schedule' wll have a negative on them.
Tie for me - JAX or PITT (with Cleveland & Tenn the 'watch out' teams to be). JAX's Garrad has a lot of upside to me / great running game & OL (good at least). All they need is a stronger DL / LBs with a fierce pass rush and bang - a good contending team. PITT should still have a real good Defense that should be tuff enough to put them. If Big Ben improves on the passing offensive for team - watch out (that's a big if to me though...there OL got issues and Ben is not quite the pure passer to be...but who knows)!

Thxs for listening

This is real early (before draft / trades / FA) but might as well take a stab at it: so this all based on the teams play as of this year! (in other words: don't hold me to this!)
  1. Agreeing with most people here that SD has the easiest division to contend with so that they can get away without Rivers for awhile to let him heal. Oak - what a mess there with crazy Al Davis giving players /coaches headaches! / KC - a lot more talent needed / Denv - too old in OL and DLs.
  1. Indy - when have Payton with some good weapons (Clark / Wayne and Addai) u can't rule him out despite their OL and DL issues whicha re fixable in the offseason. The guy has won it so his experience (and team's) would be an asset. An interesting thing to see if Dungy's 'schedule' wll have a negative on them.
  1. Tie for me - JAX or PITT (with Cleveland & Tenn the 'watch out' teams to be). JAX's Garrad has a lot of upside to me / great running game & OL (good at least). All they need is a stronger DL / LBs with a fierce pass rush and bang - a good contending team. PITT should still have a real good Defense that should be tuff enough to put them. If Big Ben improves on the passing offensive for team - watch out (that's a big if to me though...there OL got issues and Ben is not quite the pure passer to be...but who knows)!
Thxs for listening

Messed up my numbering system so hopefully its clear now: #1 SD / #2 Indy / #3a-b JAX & PITT (with Tenn or Cleve maybe another possible #3 team)

Explain the Bills DF? How do u see them rising so wuick above a SD / Tenn or even a Pitt?

17 players on IR last season.
A smart, up and coming rookie QB
A bona fide stud rookie Lynch at RB with a great change of pace back in Jackson
A tough schedule, and QB change and a bad OC, and we STILL went 7-9... and we should have been at least 9-7.
The Bills got rid of the stupid hybrid TE/HB and are going back to a real full back for Marshawn.
A very young team with good character built by a HOF coach (Levy)

If the Bills have a good offseason, all of this equals a shot at the AFC east next year. The Bills may not win it, but at least they will make the Pats work for it.

Buffalo
Miami
New York Jets

Let's get back to basics and win the division first.

As a Bolts Fan, I'm somewhat blinded by the homer glasses, but let me give you my thoughts:

1. SD: Has an extremely talented team and they will win their Division. They will do well in the playoffs, but I have my doubts about going all the way mainly due to intangibles. These include: lack of experience and lack of maturity. We have a lot of young players on the team and they're not immune to bone headed plays. As for Rivers and his healing process, he is a quick healer. After all, to play in the AFCCG a few days after having knee surgery is nuts. A healthy Gates and LT will mean that this is one of the more balanced teams in the league in terms of offense & defense. Another year to gel with the new coach's system never hurts either.

For the folks that seem to think that LT is like Tiki Barber and/or gutless and not classy, I have news for you. That most definitely is not the case from the team's stand point at all. The media and other fans speculation does not matter here. Mark my words on this.

2. JAX: I put them at number 2 above the Colts because I think they will be able to beat the Colts if that becomes necessary. David Garrard with another year starting is a scary thing indeed.

3. IND: Peyton is another year older and while he will still put up the numbers, they will diminish as they always do with age. The same with Harrison. The Colts will be contenders, but they are edging closer to the rebuilding phase. Their #1 defense from 2007 will not repeat in 2008 and they will go back to an offensive team that can't stop the other teams when it counts.

Wildcards: Steelers, Titans

The supposed toughest division in football better not put together another pathetic 1-5* record against the Colts this season.

I’m still not willing to give into the whole “Jags will take the division!” state of mind a lot of us have had for the past 3 years. First I'd like to see if the Jags could even come away with a win against them this year.

We may be the team that fades this year......San Diego.....Jax......Indy (still be there)......Pitt.......Maybe even Tennessee....and I don't see Denver sucking that much longer.....I think we may be the team slipping right now.....and going into rebuilding phase....and our own division will get tougher,.....Parcells will have the doofins ready to be spoilers this year...not going to go anywhere...but they will probably be the thorn in our side that we are used to ....Buffalo was much improved last year.....and the Jests ...well let's hope they still suck because I hate Mangina and they have NO QB......

Totally agree with this assessment. This post should have been the 3 AFC teams to beat because I see the Pats right now as the 4th best team in the AFC and that's assuming that the offense remains mostly the same (ie. Stallworth being the only loss). This offense can be held in check by one dimensional defenses so there will be no more outscoring opponents. The defense is going to get worse with the loss of Samuel.

The three teams that I see fighting it out to represent the AFC are in order:

Colts - best QB in the game. Good receivers. Great offensive coach who puts his players in position to be successful. Very good defense that's young, fast, hits hard AND TACKLES well. Not the best defense in the AFC but doesn't need to be since they have the best offense.

San Diego - I'm impressed with Rivers' grit but not his throws or decision making. I think he's the weak link on this team along with the lack of a elite WR. However, considering Smith's great drafts, I suspect they get their WR this year. Very good defense, with excellent corners and LBs. San Diego vs Indy in championship game - book it.

Jacksonville - good team, in need of a WR but defense isn't dynamic enough to compete with Colts or San Diego.

Pittsburgh - one dimensional defense, needs to improve OL. They'll be one and done like the Pats

Buffalo - rising team, needs a QB

The best offensive is usually the one that scores the most points.

It's funny how you see Indy/San Diego/Jax all leapfrogging us, even with our 4-0 record against them this year.

Part of me feels like Indy's best days are behind it, but, even if the team falls off a bit from last year, I still would pick it to be the top competition in the AFC (I also don't think we'll be as good as we were this year, either). So Indy would be my #1.

The initial reaction for 2 is to go with the Chargers, but there's a lot of potential for them to derail. How bad is LT's injury, for one? If he's diminished in any way, then the receivers aren't good enough to keep defenses from blitzing Rivers nonstop, which could get pretty brutal if his knees aren't fully recovered. That's too many ifs for me, especially considering that I didn't even mention Norv.

I'm also tempted to go with Jacksonville, although I don't see how they'll be better next year than they were this year, and this year they weren't good enough by a pretty large margin. So instead I'm just going to go with:

1. Indy
2. Pittsburgh
3. Cleveland

17 players on IR last season.
A smart, up and coming rookie QB
A bona fide stud rookie Lynch at RB with a great change of pace back in Jackson
A tough schedule, and QB change and a bad OC, and we STILL went 7-9... and we should have been at least 9-7.
The Bills got rid of the stupid hybrid TE/HB and are going back to a real full back for Marshawn.
A very young team with good character built by a HOF coach (Levy)

If the Bills have a good offseason, all of this equals a shot at the AFC east next year. The Bills may not win it, but at least they will make the Pats work for it.

Ah, so that's why you picked the Bills. You're a Bills fan.

I can give you 77 reasons why no one's going to respect the Bills here until Buffalo plays NE close: 38-7 and 56-10. For those who aren't great at math, 77 is the total differential of those two games (31 + 46). Until the Bills aren't blown out by NE, they won't be respected by its fans.

Ah, so that's why you picked the Bills. You're a Bills fan.

I can give you 77 reasons why no one's going to respect the Bills here until Buffalo plays NE close: 38-7 and 56-10. For those who aren't great at math, 77 is the total differential of those two games (31 + 46). Until the Bills aren't blown out by NE, they won't be respected by its fans.

You are right on all counts... no arguments here. The Pats have owned us for the past decade, but even with my homer glasses on, it's hard to deny that the Bills are an up and coming team. Not good enough to challenge for the AFC east crown yet, but we are closer than people give us credit for. And miles ahead of the Jets and Dolphins.

I don't need (or deserve) respect from Pats fans as a Bills fan. I just now feel a certain "kinship" with them, as I am an expert on excruciating, heartbreaking losses.

I don't need (or deserve) respect from Pats fans as a Bills fan. I just now feel a certain "kinship" with them, as I am an expert on excruciating, heartbreaking losses.
sorry there is no kinship .four SBs in a row and no wins .thats as bad as it gets .last time i checked the pats have won three SBs this decade . :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3