PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Excluded - Your 3 AFC Teams To Beat in 2008.

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, the Steelers will slide even more with increased compeition in their division. We all though tthey wouljd have slide even more, but the Bengals turned out to be pretenders, adn the ravens became a joke, and only clevland gave thema run.

The Steelers have been living off playing in the WORST division in the history of the NFL for the past 15 years...

The Steelers have been living off playing in the WORST division in the history of the NFL for the past 15 years...

I have to disagree on the 'worst division.' It has 2 SB victors since 2000. It may be the most physical division in football. I was really hoping they put Indy in that division during the realignment...Manning's streak of consecutive games would have ended a long time ago.
What they lack on talent, they make up with physicality (except Cincy).

Steelers have been in far from the worst division since re-alignment.

That would go to the AFC East and NFC West.

We may be the team that fades this year......San Diego.....Jax......Indy (still be there)......Pitt.......Maybe even Tennessee....and I don't see Denver sucking that much longer.....I think we may be the team slipping right now.....and going into rebuilding phase....and our own division will get tougher,.....Parcells will have the doofins ready to be spoilers this year...not going to go anywhere...but they will probably be the thorn in our side that we are used to ....Buffalo was much improved last year.....and the Jests ...well let's hope they still suck because I hate Mangina and they have NO QB......

LOL the voice of doom and gloom, aren't we.

San Diego's QB won't be ready to go before pre season, if then. There are lingering issues inside that locker room relating to guts vs. class. But that division will remain a layup since Denver is just floundering and Lynch will likely retire and KC is entering full blown rebuild mode with Herm the destroyer. And Oakland is waiting for Al to kick.

Indy will have to see if Marvin can rebound at 36 and if Freeney still has his burst or how long it takes him to work back.

JAX should be a very tough contender for the AFCS if Garrard can stay healthy and they find him some talent instead of just height at WR. Houston could challenge if Schaub can stay healthy. Tennessee will continue to spin their wheels as Vince meets his second OC.

The AFCN is a real crap shoot. RAC got extended but has some QB decisions to make and now KWII is whining about his contract to boot. Ben is pissing off the receivers he does have and Tomlin will be feelin' some heat to re-establish them as the dominant team in that division. Cincy could pull it all together but will more likey totally implode because they don't like each other or their HC who never did get that D straightened out. The Ravens have a new HC, but still no QB and an aging though still formidable D.

The AFCE is what it is, and that is ours for the forseeable future. Narry a starting QB among 'em.

So I'd say SD, Indy/JAX project to be the serious competition in 2008 pending the draft and FA. Things could change, but a lot would have to for Pit/Cle to bump off Indy or JAX on my list.

The Bills don't scare anyone next year? Wow... last year they had a decent rookie QB, outstanding rookie RB, 17 starters on IR, and still went 7-9? What happens this year when they're healthy?

San Diego- boy I hope we don't play them Week 1 because it will be a shoot-out at best. Our D will be going through some transition, and I expect it to take its lumps against good offenses early on.

Indianapolis - by Week 9 I think the Pats will be able to beat them in a close game on their field

Pittsburgh - I still believe the Pats have an edge over the Steelers, and we have them at Gillette too

Honorable mention:

Jacksonville - very close to wrestling away the AFC South from Indy

Denver - they have a pretty good core of young players on offense and they are going to give our D fits (as usual). Hopefully our offense has evolved enough so that we can actually score TD's on them in non-garbage time situations.

Guys I said 15 years, so you need to evaluate the AFC N during the 90s...

They have 2 of the losingest franchises in the NFL in their division... and a Ravens team that had a few decent years.

AFC east, not too long ago there were 3 playoffs teams comign from the AFC East. Right now it may be bad, but that's only becuase we have dominated it. And it kinda of colapses the divison.

I think a tema dominating a Division hurts FA, for the other teams... who wants to go to the Jets, or Miami when they know they have no chance in winning the division for the foreseable future...

Guys I said 15 years, so you need to evaluate the AFC N during the 90s...

They have 2 of the losingest franchises in the NFL in their division... and a Ravens team that had a few decent years.

AFC east, not too long ago there were 3 playoffs teams comign from the AFC East. Right now it may be bad, but that's only becuase we have dominated it. And it kinda of colapses the divison.

I think a tema dominating a Division hurts FA, for the other teams... who wants to go to the Jets, or Miami when they know they have no chance in winning the division for the foreseable future...
The Steelers, since 1992, have been in divisions which have produced 26 playoff appearances, 4 super bowl appearances (from 3 different teams) and 2 Super Bowl wins. Of course, I don't see what the early 90s has to do with the present day Steelers.

Kind or hard to do this thread before FA and the draft but the NFC North has to play the AFC South and NFC East the two best divisions in football for 07 so at least on first look anybody from that division has an up hill climb. Biggest issue for the Steelers is to fix their O-Line.

Indy- I don't see them regressing too much, but it will be interesting to see if Dungy's personal situation affects the team's performance.

San Diego- Most talented 'D' in the AFC, and now a more balanced offense. Maybe Rivers' gutsy performance will elevate his play next year. His weak arm is still the weak link on that team.... and the fact that LdT is a divisive leader ala Tiki Barber.

At #3 I'm torn between Denver & Jacksonville.
Iirc, Jax is well under the salary cap, and really only needs a couple pieces to be great. Imho, if Jax had sure handed receivers and a little help in the secondary, they'd overtake the Colts.

I had predicted Denver to be the 2nd or 3rd best team in the AFC this past pre-season. If healthy, and if Shanahan hasn't totally lost his touch, I think they should really battle SD for the AFC West crown, although SD matches up well with them. Imho, Shanahan's leaves his great corners on islands too much, maybe as a result of his run D sucking this year.

I'll go with Denver over Jax, simply because I think JDR can be outcoached by a chipmunk with a dry erase board.

* I don't necessarily think these will be the 3 best records, since finishing 2nd in the AFC West, might be a lower record than the AFC North winner, but I think that's the 3 best teams behind the Pats.

But, all these will go out the window as soon as trades, and FA signings are done with.
Unless Jax's front office completely sucks, they should be in the best position they're ever going to be in to overtake Indy this year.

1. Indy----I will be worried about Indy till Peyton Manning retires . Until the Pats get an immaculate secondary, I just don't know how our defense can get a top qb off the field on 3rd and long. Letting Eli go 9/18 on 3rd down is unacceptable and downright embarrassing. I guess that's a huge reason we need Colvin to alter some of those throws

2. SD and JAX--These teams will continue to be in the mix, but not sold on their qbs just yet

Last edited:
The Bills don't scare anyone next year? Wow... last year they had a decent rookie QB, outstanding rookie RB, 17 starters on IR, and still went 7-9? What happens this year when they're healthy?

Wow, thanks for some respect for the Bills. I didn't expect them to be mentioned at all in this thread.

Anyway, the original poster sees Jacksonville going nowhere with Garrard? Huh? They finally made him the starter and suddenly they've got the top wild card spot with a better record than at least one of the division winners, then win a playoff game? Yeah, they're obviously going NOWHERE. Jacksonville is a force to be reckoned with, even with the crappy receivers they had.

Indianapolis going backwards? They didn't have a playoff bye last year, this year they did. How is that going backwards? Could we possibly say that if the Patriots don't win 18 games next season then they're going backwards? Give me a break.

In the end, I'd say the AFC teams to beat in 2008, excluding the Patriots, are:

Indianapolis
Jacksonville
San Diego

Pre-FA I'd say:

Indy-they always fare well in the reg. season, however I wonder will Marvin be back?
Chargers-i see them building confidence, and that d looks pretty good with cromartie being an elite player. ? is, what carryover from last season is there to this one? id say none so i wouldn't be shocked if chargers weren't that great at the start of the season

This one is difficult...
I'm leaning towards Jacksonville. Steelers have a pretty tough schedule and it'll be interesting to see how they do with a new coach year 2.
I think either would be 3 or 4.

Browns/Broncos/Bengals are the three teams I see making SIGNIFICANT rises in their play.

I guess the true factor is what is each team going to do in the offseason? Every single one has major holes to fill...i look to the afc to be once again the more difficult league.

Last edited:
My gut instict tells me it's going to be the Chargers ... especially if they can pick up another WR in the draft that can help them right away. This is a team that has done a 180 with Norv and I see them getting stronger next year.

With 3 West Coast games and 1 in their backyard ... if they beat us next year my guess is the road to the Super Bowl may well go through San Diego.

I put the Steelers down at #2 ... another year is all they need with a few tweaks. rothlisberger may never get great .. but he can do it if Eli can do it.

I'm torn for #3 ...
Jacksonville is going nowhere with Garrad.
Tennessee is about as good as they can get.
The Browns have some tools and a great coach ... perhaps it's them...that offense is way good.
The Colts could be #3 but I see them going backwards.

I'm going with the Browns ... tough choice however.
this is great. i hope everybody overlooks the patriots in 08. i enjoy the under dog role much more .I don't think the chargers are going anywhere .rivers could very well be the culpepper of the 08 season .correct me if I'm wrong but doesnt he have the same injury as culpepper had .it might be worse than culpeppers .

Last edited:
LOL the voice of doom and gloom, aren't we.

San Diego's QB won't be ready to go before pre season, if then. There are lingering issues inside that locker room relating to guts vs. class. But that division will remain a layup since Denver is just floundering and Lynch will likely retire and KC is entering full blown rebuild mode with Herm the destroyer. And Oakland is waiting for Al to kick.

Indy will have to see if Marvin can rebound at 36 and if Freeney still has his burst or how long it takes him to work back.

JAX should be a very tough contender for the AFCS if Garrard can stay healthy and they find him some talent instead of just height at WR. Houston could challenge if Schaub can stay healthy. Tennessee will continue to spin their wheels as Vince meets his second OC.

The AFCN is a real crap shoot. RAC got extended but has some QB decisions to make and now KWII is whining about his contract to boot. Ben is pissing off the receivers he does have and Tomlin will be feelin' some heat to re-establish them as the dominant team in that division. Cincy could pull it all together but will more likey totally implode because they don't like each other or their HC who never did get that D straightened out. The Ravens have a new HC, but still no QB and an aging though still formidable D.

The AFCE is what it is, and that is ours for the forseeable future. Narry a starting QB among 'em.

So I'd say SD, Indy/JAX project to be the serious competition in 2008 pending the draft and FA. Things could change, but a lot would have to for Pit/Cle to bump off Indy or JAX on my list.

You know what Mo....You and I have had our differences....but this is one kick a## well "edumacated" post......You hit the nail on the head on almost every team here......Was that so hard to do that without insulting someone....????? Seriously, great summation.....You are probably right about Rivers.....may take awhile for him to come back....but with LT in there and a healthy Gates (and their WR Corps), Volek is no slouch.....he could get it done before Rivers can get back out there.....Great post Mo.......

No.....not in the big picture,.......In the AFC East....No....still don't see them stopping the Pats.....They may get in the playoffs backdoor and be the next Gints team......but we will STOMP them (to quote a horse toothed jacka## from NY).!!!

He said AFC and the last time I checked the Lions are still in the NFC. Also the Raiders just came off a horrible year and AL Davis is already calling for the coach to resign. I think the Bills will be a team on the rise next year. They just need another strong draft and a key fa signing and they will be in the playoffs come next year.

Steelers have been in far from the worst division since re-alignment.

That would go to the AFC East and NFC West.

Actually, I'd go for the AFC South, which was basically Cindy-anapolis and the Little Sisters of the Poor for way too long.

1) Colts
2) Jaguars
3) Some random team that has a fluke year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back