PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Day Two Draft thread (Continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Corey Wootton must be more seriously injured than we realize or have some sort of character flaw. Yikes. What a slide.

Or maybe this draft is just do deep that players like him can slip down the board. There is still a lot of talent left to go, and we're into the 4th round tomorrow at 10AM.

We still have a 4th, 5th, and two 7ths in addition to 4 comp picks to go.

Maybe we can combine the two 7ths and the 5th for another 4th and pick up a DE and a RB or another WR, TE, or pick up someone for the OL. Either that or there are lots of trades expected (from what I've read/heard). Maybe we use some that way.

I'm soo damn tired of this. WE ARE THE ONLY team who does this. What if Bill stopped trying to be a masterming, and actually drafted normally.
then we'd probably be a normal team. how many superbowl wins did the average NFL team win this past decade?

Besides, this pick you are complaining about losing? If not for trades, we wouldn't even HAVE the pick.

Every year the Pats have more picks in the first three rounds than any other team, and people complain about this?

I know I have been critical of BB and the FO, but today was highway robbery courtesy of BB. To revamp this entire defense the way he did and to land the next "better" version of Jeremy Shockey, to land Brandon Spikes to allow Mayo to free-lance at WILB all while raping the Panthers of their 2011 2nd round pick now giving us 2 - 1's and 2 - 2's next year setting this team up for years was pure unreal.

A+ today BB, you more than made up for the 3 and 5 lost in the Burgess deal, kudos.

I still can't figure why BB took Price over Mardy, has any expert talked about him?

I was hoping we went with mardy as well. I also don't know much about taylor price either. I know he suffered from poor QB play and played in a run oriented offense...

Yeah, if they, you know, actually *use* the picks!!!
Are you guys serious? They don't use picks? How many picks did most teams make in the first three rounds? How many picks did the Pats make in the first three rounds? Of course they use the picks. They use more than anyone else.

We had fifteen picks in this year's draft. We used one to trade up and transferred one to next year. What's wrong with that?

If Bill wasn't a draft-day trademeister, we'd have five picks this draft. Our 7 minus the two we used for Burgess.

Instead we get...what? 13 picks?... and next year we have two firsts and two seconds.

I fail to see the problem.

Current wish list:

DE Corey Wootton
OLB Ricky Sapp
RB Jonathan Dwyer
DE Austen Lane
OT Bruce Campbell
RB Joe McKnight
OLB Everson Griffen
OC Matt Tennant
NT Cam Thomas

Wootton would be great value and fit.

Current wish list:

DE Corey Wootton
OLB Ricky Sapp
RB Jonathan Dwyer
DE Austen Lane
OT Bruce Campbell
RB Joe McKnight
OLB Everson Griffen
OC Matt Tennant
NT Cam Thomas

Forgot about Bruce Campbell. I would probably choose him.

Current wish list:

DE Corey Wootton
OLB Ricky Sapp
RB Jonathan Dwyer
DE Austen Lane
OT Bruce Campbell
RB Joe McKnight
OLB Everson Griffen
OC Matt Tennant
NT Cam Thomas

How is Bruce Campbell still on the board? He was the 4th rated OT heading into the draft. I know he is injury prone, but the kid is a player. Why not take a flyer on him tomorrow and groom him to take over that RT spot for Kaczur when Light moves on.

Also like Joe McKnight. SC backs are normally safe and reliable picks.

I still can't figure why BB took Price over Mardy, has any expert talked about him?

On measurables (size and speed) Price is better.

The only question I have about Price is his conference.

Mardy is a gamer who runs great routes and he reminds me of Branch. Price is potentially a much better player, but he could also bust.

I see Gilyard as a safer pick.

I was hoping we went with mardy as well. I also don't know much about taylor price either. I know he suffered from poor QB play and played in a run oriented offense...

Not sure about last yr, but in 08 he had a great QB in Boo Jackson.

2008: Played in every game and started the final 10 under center...Passed for 2,355 yards, the second-highest single-season total in school history...Set single-season school records with 19 touchdown passes and 2,688 yards of total offense...Also posted the school's second-highest single-season completion percentage (60.5), a total that also makes him Ohio's career leader in the category...Ohio's career leader in passing yards per attempt (7.7), pass efficiency (137.75) and total offense per play (6.62)...Set a school record with 413 yards of total offense vs. Central Michigan...Passed for a school-record five touchdowns vs. Akron...Posted rushing touchdowns at Kent State and vs. Buffalo.

The Patriots win the draft, imo. You people that were ready to jump off bridges yesterday need to learn to trust BB.

I agree that they should go for greatness tomorrow. Try for Campbell and Griffen.

And if anyone complains when/if a player like this busts, they should be mocked.

Both of these guys have all world talent but there are big questions.

Current wish list:

DE Corey Wootton
OLB Ricky Sapp
RB Jonathan Dwyer
DE Austen Lane
OT Bruce Campbell
RB Joe McKnight
OLB Everson Griffen
OC Matt Tennant
NT Cam Thomas

I'd add Al Woods, Lindsey Witten, Clifton Geathers and Arthur Jones to that list as true 3-4 DEs.. Wootton would be an OLB for the Pats.. I doubt Cam Thomas is a high value player considering the Pats have Wilfork and Brace.

I am very surprised at the fall of Campbell. Most had him going in the top20.. Yet he's still on the boards..

Here are stats from Taylor Price:

Overall Stats -Receiving- -Rushing-
Season Team G Rec Yds Y/G Avg Lng TD Att Yds Avg Lng TD
2006 OHIO 14 9 77 5.5 8.6 27 0 2 -20 -10.0 0 0
2007 OHIO 12 33 464 38.7 14.1 54 4 6 23 3.8 17 0
2008 OHIO 12 51 694 57.8 13.6 51 5 5 19 3.8 20 0
2009 OHIO 14 56 784 56.0 14.0 50 5 11 103 9.4 25 0

Career: 52 149 2019 38.8 13.6 54 14 24 125 5.2 25 0

Last 2 yrs were pretty decent. EDIT: decent considering he played in a MAC conference for Ohio U.

Last edited:
BB clearly prefers quantity over quality; in his mind, it's a percentage play; the more chances you get, the better the odds are some will stick.

In theory, the higher the draft positions, the more likely they will stick; but he clearly did not like the odds of the high picks enough over having more lower picks.

The potential problems with this quantity-over-quality approch is the roster will be filled with medicore talent players (per their lower draft positions, normally equates to less physical talent and lower ceiling); there are no headliner, all pro, impact guys. Chances are Dez Bryant could become a all pro in 3 years and Price maybe barely hang on as a #3 WR in the league. I am not in love with Pat's roster; at every position, you can find about 10 better players in the league (except QB).

Year after year we are so pumped for our draft picks. And, year after year the man gets to the pick and trades down, then he trades down more, and then he trades down more. It's bizarre! He can't say NO to anybody! He prefers to have lesser talent from which to choose. Really, this is STRANGE!

"Hey Bill, have I got a deal for you. I have another chance for you to trade down even lower in the talent pool. You in?"

"I'll show everybody about accumulating picks. I'm in."

Last edited:
I friggin love how Belichick is running the draft this year.

He made solid picks, made a billion trades to capture value, and next year we have 4 picks in the first two rounds!

the things about campbell is that he supposedly has BAD technique, not raw or needs to work on it, but bad. And not disciplined.

Great athletic ability as to how high he can jump and run, but I don't think BB is going to go for it.

At least that's what I read somewhere...also questioned his intelligence.

But cbssports says he does use good technique although everette brown got 3.5 sacks on him.

Last edited:
I friggin love how Belichick is running the draft this year.

He made solid picks, made a billion trades to capture value, and next year we have 4 picks in the first two rounds!

With 2 of those picks probably top 10 picks in each round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back