PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Day Two Draft thread (Continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.
my favorite passage from ESPN's lame-ass insider analysis re: TAYLOR PRICE -

"has more upside than Sam Aiken..."

BB clearly did a 211 on the Panthers.:rocker:

Just because BB likes to trade up, gain value and picks, etc... does not necessarily mean he prefers quantity over quality. I imagine he likes both and probably would ALWAYS prefer quality. But if you have a chance to maximize BOTH, why wouldn't you?

Don't let the word top ten fool you to think that you are getting an all pro. Knowing BB, he will trade down and let someone else grab the natural freaks.
With 2 of those picks probably top 10 picks in each round.

Current wish list:

DE Corey Wootton
OLB Ricky Sapp
RB Jonathan Dwyer
DE Austen Lane
OT Bruce Campbell
RB Joe McKnight
OLB Everson Griffen
OC Matt Tennant
NT Cam Thomas

Wootton would be great value and fit.

Is there a center left?

Don't let the word top ten fool you to think that you are getting an all pro. Knowing BB, he will trade down and let someone else grab the natural freaks.

This years draft was (still is) very deep. If there is only a 5% drop off of talent from the mid first round to the mid-second, which would you rather have- One first or two seconds? Especially when your team has lots of wholes to fill and/or quality depth is needed?

Or are you saying he always trades down regardless of the drop off? If so, you are 100%, completely wrong. He goes where the player he wants is and maneuvers around other teams who may go after that player. But don't let the facts get in the way.

Glad someone liked it. If the kid Price outperforms Dez Bryant and 2 Florida kids work out, I am sold. Quick, I already regret uttering the words. Please No Chad Jackson.
I know I have been critical of BB and the FO, but today was highway robbery courtesy of BB. To revamp this entire defense the way he did and to land the next "better" version of Jeremy Shockey, to land Brandon Spikes to allow Mayo to free-lance at WILB all while raping the Panthers of their 2011 2nd round pick now giving us 2 - 1's and 2 - 2's next year setting this team up for years was pure unreal.

A+ today BB, you more than made up for the 3 and 5 lost in the Burgess deal, kudos.

This years draft was (still is) very deep. If there is only a 5% drop off of talent from the mid first round to the mid-second, which would you rather have- One first or two seconds? Especially when your team has lots of wholes to fill and/or quality depth is needed?

Or are you saying he always trades down regardless of the drop off? If so, you are 100%, completely wrong. He goes where the player he wants is and maneuvers around other teams who may go after that player. But don't let the facts get in the way.

You are much more likely to put your head through a concrete wall unhurt than you are to reason with BFD.

Admit to not knowing anything really except what I've read post-pick about McCourty, Gronkowski and especially Price. Like what I've read so far, though, looking forward to seeing how it all shakes out.

LOVE LOVE LOVE the Spikes pick! Watch every Gators game and LOVED him there. Now my NEP has him. WOOTY WOOT WOOT! :singing: Jermaine Cunningham a pretty solid Gator player and a nice pick up, I think. We shall see. Not as good as his teammate Carlos Dunlap maybe, but Dunlap pulled a REALLY stupid DUI move in the week prior to the SEC Championship game that made me question his character/smarts. Yes, kids make mistakes, but it was really a pretty bad one (timing and level of intox) and I can see why the Pats might have been concerned, if that's what caused them to pick Cunningham instead. :confused2:

RE: Gronkowski, I have to say I was hoping more for Aaron Hernandez (FL) if BB was going to pick a TE, but that's probably mostly just my bias as I am familiar with Hernandez and not Gronkowski. But he's ours now, so welcome aboard GRONK!

And two 1sts and two 2nds in 2011?!?! SUHWEET!!! :rocker:

Last edited:
Chances are Dez Bryant could become a all pro in 3 years and Price maybe barely hang on as a #3 WR in the league. I am not in love with Pat's roster; at every position, you can find about 10 better players in the league (except QB).

Ha! Dez will be out of the league in three years and McCourty will be all-pro. OK maybe that is stretch but I will bet that in three years McCourty will be solid and Dez a flop. Betcha a beer.

Besides there is one sure-fire indicator that McCourty will be All Pro; both Felger and Borges hate him. :D It is sure fire. Remember how these guys screamed like the Sabine Virgins when Richard Seymour was drafted and the Patriots "missed" on David Terrel.

Glad someone liked it. If the kid Price outperforms Dez Bryant and 2 Florida kids work out, I am sold. Quick, I already regret uttering the words. Please No Chad Jackson.

You want the 3rd round pick who will be the 4th WR to outperform the 2nd WR taken in the draft in order to consider it a good draft? Are you freaking kidding?
You do know there are other positions on the football field than WR right?
And you do know that Price isn't the only one to fill the role that Bryant would have IF we drafted, IF he learned the offense, and IF his off the field problems don't short circuit his career too right?

I love that we went in with 4 picks and somehow selected 5 plus picked up a high 2011 2nd rounder.

I'm very excited for almost all the picks we used. HOWEVER, I saw some online tapes available on Cunningham, and I don't see how he becomes an eventual starter at either DE or OLB. He doesn't seem very strong, doesn't have great pass rush moves, was rarely used in coverage, and isn't really an impact player on the field. Belichick obviously has more info and knows way more, but I don't get what he sees in this kid. I'm thinking this is just more Urban Meyer hyping up players to Belichick who are going to turn out to be complete busts. Spikes is a beast and looks to be a star though.

Last edited:
I did not realize that Sapp was still avaiable. Whoa. That would be a nice pick up.

The Patriots have dominated today.

Today (and tomorrow) we are seeing the Patriots rebuilt in front of our eye. In one amazing draft they retool. Tomorrow we get to see Floyd and Bill find some late-round gems as they did last year.

Felger and Borges hate this drat (as of this morning); this means it is the best draft in Patriots history! Thanks Felgie; now go back to hockey quit trying to drive Moss and BB out of New England.

I love that we went in with 4 picks and somehow selected 5 plus picked up a high 2011 2nd rounder.

I'm very excited for almost all the picks we used. HOWEVER, I saw some online tapes available on Cunningham, and I don't see how he becomes an eventual starter at either DE or OLB. He doesn't seem very strong, doesn't have great pass rush moves, was rarely used in coverage, and isn't really an impact player on the field. Belichick obviously has more info and knows way more, but I don't get what he sees in this kid. I'm thinking this is just more Urban Meyer hyping up players to Belichick who are going to turn out to be complete busts. Spikes is a beast and looks to be a star though.

Maybe he is not strong for a DE but he might be plenty strong for a OLB. I have to trust BB on this because it is a little odd.

Guys, how about McKnight at RB? The guy has been compared to Reggie bush, he's fast and has agility.

Our 5th is just enough to move up to the first three or four picks in the 4th for Sapp, Griffen or Wootton. Washington has been suggested. We could get a late 2011 pick back.

actually, McKnight actually reminds me of a young Kevin Faulk.

You can keep your Griffen, Cambell and McKnight's. Give me the ruler of the world Zoltan Mesko and call it a night. You want to draft a multi time pro bowler tomorrow? You draft Zoltan.

You can keep your Griffen, Cambell and McKnight's. Give me the ruler of the world Zoltan Mesko and call it a night. You want to draft a multi time pro bowler tomorrow? You draft Zoltan.

Wow... forget about Griffen, the best player on the board who we could use, lets grab a punter!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News