PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Day Two Draft thread (Continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's no ordinary punter. Have you seen the disaster that has been the Patriots punting situation over the past 10 years? You might not be wanting him now but I guarantee there will be over a hundred posts this season in the game threads complaining about disaster punts going 15 yards. Punts going for touchbacks and piss poor punt coverage. Every one of these things cost tons of yardage over the course of the season. It's hidden yardage but it's vital.

Last edited:
And we also have
Mike Wright
Damione Lewis
Myron Pryor

hard for a draft pick to crack that depth

Pryor isn't a 3-4 DE.. No matter how any of us try and spin it. He's a pass rusher for the Nickel that BB likes to use. Similar to Jarvis Green. But I don't see Pryor getting a lot of snaps otherwise.

You can keep your Griffen, Cambell and McKnight's. Give me the ruler of the world Zoltan Mesko and call it a night. You want to draft a multi time pro bowler tomorrow? You draft Zoltan.

No, we redraft Adam Seward, or failing that, we attempt to draft Chuck Norris.

BB clearly prefers quantity over quality; in his mind, it's a percentage play; the more chances you get, the better the odds are some will stick.

Wrong. BB prefers VALUE. And you can't claim the BS of quantity over quality when you have no clue about how the players are rated by the patriots.. Especially when they don't use ANY of the draft sites available to fans..

In theory, the higher the draft positions, the more likely they will stick; but he clearly did not like the odds of the high picks enough over having more lower picks.

That is the theory, but the draft has proven time and again that is not the case. Clearly you think yourself smarter than every single GM (past and present), every scout (past and present) and every personnel guy (past and present) who have said that the draft is an art, not a science. If if was a science anyone could do it.

The potential problems with this quantity-over-quality approch is the roster will be filled with medicore talent players (per their lower draft positions, normally equates to less physical talent and lower ceiling); there are no headliner, all pro, impact guys. Chances are Dez Bryant could become a all pro in 3 years and Price maybe barely hang on as a #3 WR in the league. I am not in love with Pat's roster; at every position, you can find about 10 better players in the league (except QB).

Chances are that you don't know what you are talking about and no one cares if you are in love with the Pats roster or not. You clearly are a bandwagon fan because, for the most part, the Pats didn't have that "HEADLINER", that "ALL-PRO" during their SB years. They had the very good players who worked as a team.

So, from now on, I'll just refer to you as BFD. As in Big Frakkin Deal. Because that about all your posts seem to merit.

You can keep your Griffen, Cambell and McKnight's. Give me the ruler of the world Zoltan Mesko and call it a night. You want to draft a multi time pro bowler tomorrow? You draft Zoltan.

Absolutely NOT. Don't know if you watched Mesko during the Senior Bowl, but he has FLOP written all over him..

It's a pretty sad statement that people only care about the guy's name.

He's no ordinary punter. Have you seen the disaster that has been the Patriots punting situation over the past 10 years? You might not be wanting him now but I guarantee there will be over a hundred posts this season in the game threads complaining about disaster punts going 15 yards. Punts going for touchbacks and piss poor punt coverage. Every one of these things cost tons of yardage over the course of the season. It's hidden yardage but it's vital.

You clearly are a newbie who hasn't actually followed the Pats much because there have been several times over the past 10 years where the Pats had some of the lowest punt returns against. Because the punters were doing their jobs and keeping the opponents from actually returning the punts. Chris Hanson was actually very good at that.

Clearly you haven't done much homework on it.

I am not in love with Pat's roster; at every position, you can find about 10 better players in the league (except QB).

How about K, LG, #1 WR, slot WR, shotgun RB, NT, LDE, or FS?

And that's not even counting a couple of other OL who made the Pro Bowl a couple of years ago, a RG who ranked VERY high last season in at least one careful assessment, or an ILB who was a recent DROY.

I was going to post this in here.

This draft is so deep it's nuts. Is it I have no life or are other people pumped seeing the 4th rounder (15th) tomorrow. :D

Sooo many good players.

I'm beginning to think too it may be possible to get somebody good w/o trading up.

Has Sapp been drafted? Did I miss something?

Nope. I just had other priorities for the pick.

Naturally, if Price becomes a major stud, I'll get over it. ;)

That'd be a great pick.

Anyone notice the Colts never accumulate picks or trade? They just cut off the cords to their phones and pick the standard 1-7.

That used to be said of the Steelers too.

Then they traded up for Polamalu ...

Come to think of it, they traded up for Kendrell Bell w/ us a while back too. He became DROY. We traded down and got Matt Light.

The Patriots started yesterday with 4 picks in the first 2 rounds...

They ended tonight with 4 picks in the first 2 rounds, 1 pick in the third round, 6 pick move up in the fourth round, 1 pick in the fifth round, and a 2011 second round pick. That's unreal...

Indeed. So long as the guys they passed up (like Dez Bryant) don't turn out to be perennial all-pros!

Indeed. So long as the guys they passed up (like Dez Bryant) don't turn out to be perennial all-pros!

My modification of that would be "So long as the guys they passed up don't beat them in the AFCCG or Super Bowl." :D

Zoltan Mesko would be a great pick today. He's a really smart kid, a binky for Brady as a fellow Michigan Wolverine and has a boomer of a foot as a punter. Besides, his name is just too cool to pass on.

I can hear Gil Santos now saying:

"Dez Bryant back for Dallas. Zoltan Mesko in to punt for the Patriots. Patriots kicking left to right from their nine-yard line. The snap... a high, deep punt by Mesko... Bryant settles at the 19 to return for the Cowboys... the ball comes out... McCourty's got the fumble... McCourty at the fifteen, the ten, the five, Touchdown Patriots! Dez Bryant should have called for a fair catch on that one by Zoltan, Gino."

"That punt looked like it sailed over the 60-yard jumbotron, Gil. I bet Jerry Jones is wishing he had that 1st round pick back, Gil. Bryant's not even making it as a punt retrurner, but no one would have been able to handle that one by Zoltan Mesko..."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back