PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots could give Chargers a spark

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2006 playoff win was an emotional win as a visitor. Did Hobbs mean disrespect from where he was standing at the end of the game? Who knows. Did LT and Rivers let their emotions get out of hand after the loss? Arguable. The fact is nobody saw the Patriots moving on after that game and they did. The last time the teams had played was 2005 and the Chargers thrashed the Patriots, so I suspect some of the emotion was the playoff win along with some gratifying payback for the previous loss.

The jawing in the media and calling other players out makes for good theater, but it always sounds like sour grapes after a loss. I would credit that conduct to immaturity and lack of leadership telling those players to shut their pie holes.

San Diego has issues it is trying to fix, so do the Patriots. It should be a good game. Not the clash of the unstoppable force and immovable object that it was billed to be last season, but a good game.

Nicely put. But I dont think most Pats fans understand just how infuriating that loss was. For the fans and the players. So, any comments made immediately afterwards, I can understand.

The 2006 playoff win was an emotional win as a visitor. Did Hobbs mean disrespect from where he was standing at the end of the game? Who knows.
Personally I had a real problem with both Hobbs and Colvin after that game. I also don't condone that type of behavior in Charger Players. As an example I give you Chris Mims in the '94 AFCCG. After the Chargers beat the Steelers in a huge upset he was picking up a Terrible Towel, throwing it down, and stomping on it. That is just poor sportsmanship and immature, Charger or whatever team. I don't like it. Disclaimer: I have since come to greatly admire Hobbs who is a playmaker and one tough dude. I wanted him to be the "sorriest corner in the league" but he is a player.
Did LT and Rivers let their emotions get out of hand after the loss? Arguable. The fact is nobody saw the Patriots moving on after that game and they did. The last time the teams had played was 2005 and the Chargers thrashed the Patriots, so I suspect some of the emotion was the playoff win along with some gratifying payback for the previous loss.
Easy enough after time has passed and actually I agree...now. But if you are going to give Hobbs a pass for emotional reasons you should give LT a pass for his comments/actions that resulted from it. Fair is fair.

The jawing in the media and calling other players out makes for good theater, but it always sounds like sour grapes after a loss. I would credit that conduct to immaturity and lack of leadership telling those players to shut their pie holes.
Agreed.

San Diego has issues it is trying to fix, so do the Patriots. It should be a good game. Not the clash of the unstoppable force and immovable object that it was billed to be last season, but a good game.
And the most important thing about it is, please, no injuries, whoever wins.

I don't get that. If there is no 'Lights Out" dance, there is nothing to mock. Quit the BS and act like you have been there before.

My co-worker is still pissed the Pats mocked TO's bird flapping. Same thing. No rediculous bird flap, nothing to mock. Notice how the Pats only start these things when the game is in hand or over. That's the point, how about you win the game before you start this rediculous, CLASSLESS BS for basically doing your job.

I just finished a battery of tests for our diesel plant. Maybe I should do the "QC Shuffle".

We've seen it before, the losing team pissed off and milling around looking to start a shoving match. You lost...get off the field. The winners earned the right to celebrate...whether or not you like their type of celebration and if they mock you, maybe you should not have been showboating. There in lies the risk...if you dance, celebrate, and showboat and LOSE, you look pretty stupid, immature, and CLASSLESS.

I don't get that. If there is no 'Lights Out" dance, there is nothing to mock. Quit the BS and act like you have been there before.

My co-worker is still pissed the Pats mocked TO's bird flapping. Same thing. No rediculous bird flap, nothing to mock. Notice how the Pats only start these things when the game is in hand or over. That's the point, how about you win the game before you start this rediculous, CLASSLESS BS for basically doing your job.

I just finished a battery of tests for our diesel plant. Maybe I should do the "QC Shuffle".

We've seen it before, the losing team pissed off and milling around looking to start a shoving match. You lost...get off the field. The winners earned the right to celebrate...whether or not you like their type of celebration and if they mock you, maybe you should not have been showboating. There in lies the risk...if you dance, celebrate, and showboat and LOSE, you look pretty stupid, immature, and CLASSLESS.

And none of the Pats have a celebratory thing, right?

The reality is that the Colts and Chargers games won't be as exciting this year because the Patriots, unlike previous years, are not even close to being locks to win their own division.

We're in a fight to win our own division, the outcome of the Colts and Chargers games and their effect down the road seems so far down the road right now that it's sad.

It's not like it's easy to think about getting a bye week at this point. We've got 12 straight weeks of football without a break before the playoffs. That's awesome as fans, but it's going to be brutal on the team.
it's funny, the game is really important to both teams, but just has hardly any excitement for me with the lack of brady and merriman, and the way the sd oline's been sucking

Of course they do. And I agree they went uncharacteristically overboard on that day.

Let's look at the other side of the coin. Ever hear even a peep out of the Patriots after a loss? The better team didn't win...we win this matchup 9 times out of 10...the refs jobbed us...the other guys have no class....mill around after the loss and get into shoving matches...cry: "THEY MOCKED US"

It's easy to be a good winner. How about showing some class and be a gracious loser.

Last edited:
Of course they do. And I agree they went unchatacteristically overboard on that day.

Let's look at the other side of the coin. Ever hear even a peep out of the Patriots after a loss? The better team didn't win...we win this matchup 9 times out of 10...the refs jobbed us...the other guys have no class....mill around after the loss and get into shoving matches...cry: "THEY MOCKED US"

It's easy to be a good winner. How about showing some class and be a gracious loser.
that's something i've always liked out of the pats, they don't provide bulletin board material

my team seems to love providing bulleting board material

i think it's stupid

Of course they do. And I agree they went uncharacteristically overboard on that day.
You have credibility with me for that statement. Not that it matters to you.

I've heard some pretty petty whining from BB to get the Patriots fired up, that's for sure. Don't like any of it, from Charger or Patriot or whoever. Show some respect for the game and for other players, men. If you are on an NFL roster you deserve respect.

Have to agree, I don't like that crap.

I've heard some pretty petty whining from BB to get the Patriots fired up, that's for sure. Don't like any of it, from Charger or Patriot or whoever. Show some respect for the game and for other players, men. If you are on an NFL roster you deserve respect.

When has Bill Belichick ever said anything in a post-game other than "the other team played good, they're a good team, our effort was good/bad, we're looking forward to next week"? I'm honestly curious about this "whining".

When has Bill Belichick ever said anything in a post-game other than "the other team played good, they're a good team, our effort was good/bad, we're looking forward to next week"? I'm honestly curious about this "whining".
I didn't say it was post game.

I didn't say it was post game.

In the passage I quoted you were responding to someone who clearly said "after a loss".

Even still, when has BB ever whined before/during a game? Aside from being displeased with calls?

In the passage I quoted you were responding to someone who clearly said "after a loss".
And this is what I said...
"I've heard some pretty petty whining from BB to get the Patriots fired up, that's for sure. Don't like any of it, from Charger or Patriot or whoever." What I meant was that BB uses pretty pathetic "disrespects" to get his team fired up. To me that's whiney. I don't like it when any coach does it, Patriots or Chargers or Rams. It's hypocritical. Example, before the 2006 playoff game the San Diego paper reported that if the Chargers were to win the SB there would be a parade on such and such a date. The Chargers had nothing to do with the publication and were furious that they had reported it. Of course it shows up on the Patriots Bulletin Board as though the Chargers were disrespecting the Patriots. Utter BS. The city, doing what a responsible city should do, was getting all the ducks in a row IN CASE it happened. Nothing wrong with that, in fact it would have been irresponsible NOT to do it. Same year, Patriots defeat Miami in the Wild Card Round. What's on the stools of the players? DVDs of the Chargers. Good job by a great organisation. But if you're going to lambast one organisation for having the gall to be in a city where the local government prepares for an eventuality and yet you YOURSELF prepare in the same way? That's hypocrasy. I don't like it. From anyone. That's just me though.

Of course, having said all of that, I do think that BB is one of, if not THE best, HC in the history of the game. I just don't like some of the things he does. Wouldn't like them if he was the HC of the Chargers either. It's isn't homerism or anti-Patriot, just what I believe.

Of course, having said all of that, I do think that BB is one of, if not THE best, HC in the history of the game. I just don't like some of the things he does. Wouldn't like them if he was the HC of the Chargers either. It's isn't homerism or anti-Patriot, just what I believe.

Don't get me wrong man, I'm not trying to bust your balls. You're a very reasonable fan of another team, I wish we had more of you guys around. I was just mystified that somebody was accusing Captain Boring Public himself of whining.

I see your point that a city HAS to plan this stuff in advance (that makes sense anyway) and it's not exactly fair of Belichick to act like it's arrogance. I don't really see how that's whining, though. I also don't know that hypocrisy is quite the right word since I'm positive BB has nothing to do with any celebration or parade in Boston. Your point is taken though, really.

Football is a very tough game played by very tough men. Of course there's going to be extracuricular pushing and jawing and talking poop at one another. Who effing cares? I want to see these guys settle things on the gridiron. I couldn't give a crap about what they talk about afterwards and if they're super best friends or mortal enemies.

it maybe an important game for you but here in lies the difference between the pats and chargers. The pats dont dictate what happenened in the past to get them fired up. they show up , they lose they take it as it is. Chargers for a start can stop complaining about anything which doesnt go their way and wondering why they have lost a game and instead just admit they sucked in those games and move to the next game.There is always something or someone in the chargers thinking of what shouldve/couldve have happened instead of what they themselves did.i lost a lot of respect for Lt last yr when the chargers were doing bad to start the season and he was indirectly blaming norv and so were other chargers. That is the attitude of millionares and professionals who are talented to play but blame anyone but themselves when they suck.

Maybe it's a southern California thing; becuase the angels can't seem to get over the fact that they just lost to the sox. We're the better team, they got lucky, it's not right, blah blah blah

I've heard some pretty petty whining from BB to get the Patriots fired up, that's for sure.

Could you elaborate? BB goes out of his way to praise the other team, if he doesn't it usually is pretty strange.

As much as I dislike the colts, I have come to respect them over the years....the same can't be said for the sparklers. When the pats lose, they give credit to the team that beat them, say they could have played and coached better and they move on. The sparklers have the Marshal Faulk syndrome: We're better, they shouldn't have won, they got lucky, the best team didn't win, ect...

Hmm, and here I was hoping the Chargers would be looking past the Patriots for next week's games with the 4-1 Bills.

For the Chargers, I'd say that much depends on whether LaDanian's torn labia is fully healed

Don't get me wrong man, I'm not trying to bust your balls. You're a very reasonable fan of another team, I wish we had more of you guys around. I was just mystified that somebody was accusing Captain Boring Public himself of whining.
I see your point that a city HAS to plan this stuff in advance (that makes sense anyway) and it's not exactly fair of Belichick to act like it's arrogance. I don't really see how that's whining, though. I also don't know that hypocrisy is quite the right word since I'm positive BB has nothing to do with any celebration or parade in Boston. Your point is taken though, really.
Great post. I agree I guess about the whining. I thought about it after your post and, really, you are right. Can't really characterise it as whining. Thanks for explaining and not just flaming me. The reason I said hypocracy was that BB was motivating his players by saying the Chargers were disrespecting the Patriots by preparing as though they were going to wiin the SB while the week before he and his coaching staff were preparing for the Chargers as though they had already beat the Jets (I think I said Dolphins above). I totally agree that it is imperative for a team to prepare for the next game before actually advancing, no problem with that. I just think it is hypocritical to lambast one team, or city, for preparing for something not yet assured while doing the same thing yourself.

Football is a very tough game played by very tough men. Of course there's going to be extracuricular pushing and jawing and talking poop at one another. Who effing cares? I want to see these guys settle things on the gridiron. I couldn't give a crap about what they talk about afterwards and if they're super best friends or mortal enemies.
LOL. Great post. I actually agree with most of it. One thing I AM against is dirty play. Play tough, through the whistle, hold, trip, scratch, claw, (don't cry if penalised though), but at the end of the game, show respect for the game and for other NFL players. What they endure and suffer, during and after their career, deserves respect individually amongst themselves. There's no place in football for dirty play, imo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes