PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots already have 3 probowlers from 2010 NFL draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
It had nothing to do with putting down Deaderick, it was only because I was highlighting the first 4-5 rounds and they had so many late rounders. I decided to just combine them.

oh ok I understand now.

If Deaderick were drafted in the 3rd round instead of Price (as a couple of us wanted), this would have been an A draft. We certainly didn't know how low Deaderick would fall. Ditto for Gronkowski BTW; many wanted him drafted with our first pick.

The bottom line is that the Price pick didn't work out, and Belichick made up for it by doing his magic late by getting Deaderick in th 7th and Love and Fletcher as UDFA's.

What was so special about that draft was it helped keep this dynasty afloat even in transition. That was the only recent year I remember the Pats were potentially supposed to miss the playoffs.

Looking at the draft we got:

1. Devin McCourty- He may have struggled last season, but still can't take away his stellar rookie year. Should be improving off of last year's performance. Grade- B

2a. Rob Gronkowski- This pick has really spoken for itself. One of Belichick's best draft decisions he's made in a long time. Grade A+

2b.Jermaine Cunningham- After appearing to be a bust after his very quiet 2011 campaign, many had already written him down as a bust. However, the 2nd rounder has shown new signs of life this offseason. And after already recording a sack in the first game of the 2012 season, the future looks bright for the ex-gator. Grade- for now a C+.

2c. Brandon Spikes- While he has had issues with staying healthy, when this man is on the field, he makes his presence known up the middle. Has provided that anchor up the middle, and has helped Mayo move to the outside to beomce more of a playmaker. Great pick. Grade-B+

3. Taylor Price- Ehhh...Taylor Price. Price was another case of us drafting an underachieving WR in the mid rounds. Never really showed any potential on the squad. Grade- D

4.Aaron Hernandez- Potentially the steal of the draft. He fell this far due to a failed drug test, but how could this talent be ignored until the 4TH round?? Like Gronkowski, he's been part of the reason our offense is as dominant as it is today. Grade- A

5.Zoltan Mesko- While most of the time drafting a punter doesn't sit well with fans, Mesko has shown to be a very consistently reliable punter. Solid pick. Grade- B

Rest of the draft-
Kade Weston, Thomas Welch, and Zac Robinson never caught on and didn't stay long. Neither did Ted Larson though he has found success in Tampa Bay. The only impact player that came out of the later rounds was DE Brandon Deaderick, who has brought in solid depth on our D-line.

Overall draft grade- A-. Probably one of Bill's best drafts over the last several years.

Last edited:
If Deaderick were drafted in the 3rd round instead of Price (as a couple of us wanted), this would have been an A draft. We certainly didn't know how low Deaderick would fall. Ditto for Gronkowski BTW; many wanted him drafted with our first pick.

The bottom line is that the Price pick didn't work out, and Belichick made up for it by doing his magic late by getting Deaderick in th 7th and Love and Fletcher as UDFA's.

I know about McCourty's percieved performace last year and is he a top 5-10 cb in the league? no

But the guy was in the pro bowl as a rookie started every game last year and was the best of a bad bunch and has started again last week where he had a solid game. To have a rating on him lower than that of Spikes is a bit rich. The kid went to the pro bowl 1 out of 2 years... that is an a for me for any pick.

But yes this draft was truly a great haul the best part was it paid immediate dividends... McCourty, Gronk, Hernandez, Cunningham, Spikes and Mesko were all basically starters and contributors from day 1. Thats not mentioning the bit roles carved out by Love, Deadrick and Fletcher over the year in sub roles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft