PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots allow Brandon Browner to explore value around the NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Browner isn't taking a payout to stay here, so we'll find out in the next hour or so.

I dont blame him interesting a guy who was great catch in FA 2014 is now a possible casualty???

If we lose Browner but keep Revis do we look at CB in the draft or FA?

Do they like Butler that much?

Edit: It would make little sense to me to cut Browner than sign a FA knowing how expensive decent CBs are.

....If Revis should leave....

I don't understand this mentality.

That said, the Patriots should definitely keep Browner* because relative to compensation offered to mediocre corners like Cary Williams he's a bona fide steal.

*assuming Revis/Browner are not mutually exclusive

I cannot comprehend letting our two starting corners slip out of our reach. Always trust in BB but if we lose both of these guys...some criticism is warranted there.

Well this sucks. Very stupid to get rid of a good starting corner on a manageable contract.

BTW, the Pats can get swagger from other places. Bryan Cox wasn't on the 2003 or 2004 team and both those teams had swagger. If that is the reason to keep Browner, you can get swagger elsewhere.

I like Browner and hope the Pats keep him some way, but sometimes you have give up players to make the team better. If it is Browner, I think the Pats will get by. There were games he was great and others where he was mediocre last year.

Its not like there is anybody out there at CB except Revis and that migt be briefly after 4:00pm.

if Jeff Howe's report is right, my impression is it seems we will try to extend him and lower his cap number this year...am i alone in this thinking

According to Albert Breer Browner WILL NOT take a pay cut from 4.8mil due but doesn't mean he wouldn't restructure contract.

One thing I will say is that I think letting Browner shop himself may not have been a smart thing. With the money getting thrown around, he is likely to have gotten offers far more than what he is making this year and might decide to force his way out of town.

if Jeff Howe's report is right, my impression is it seems we will try to extend him and lower his cap number this year...am i alone in this thinking

That is clearly the preferred move. But if they need to save money and this is in their mind the best way to do it they may cut him, Personally I think they will at this point.

I'd give 80/20 odds he is cut and we sign Revis later today with that money.

dont blame browner for not wanting to take a pay cut when he's already taking half of what he's worth.

...unlikely that they extend him so.....

Either way, since we just won the SB this year, I'm good for a couple more seasons. Can't expect to win it every year. Losing Browner would be an enormous loss, though.

I don't understand this mentality.

That said, the Patriots should definitely keep Browner* because relative to compensation offered to mediocre corners like Cary Williams he's a bona fide steal.

*assuming Revis/Browner are not mutually exclusive

I think for years we felt our issues was in the secondary...with regards to talent and physicality. The year we fix that...they win it all.

Now, by removing a huge component in Browner it takes away a big part of what made it click. Revis is the cog for sure....but Browner was BIG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST