PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots 2013 Training Camp - Day 8, Saturday August 3

Gonna need spare bodies for eagles practice.

We seriously may have two undrafted rookies starting for us on offense.....nuts

And, is this really possible . . . is there a realistic possibility that 3 rookie WR's will make the squad? Unbelievable if it happens. Can't get a sense if one of them is considered a longshot or not.

We seriously may have two undrafted rookies starting for us on offense.....nuts

Can't be, Mgteich doesn't even see them making the roster. Name the last UDFA to make an impact on offense. He's started a lot of threads about the construction of the roster so he must know what he's talking about.

Barring injuries, 3 rooks is a done deal. Dobson is a lock, Thomkins and Sudfeld already have done too much to be cut. On the flip side, Ballard, who a lot of people thought would start, isn't gonna make it.

I would think they will IR Ballard. They paid his salary for a year so they may want to see of they can salvage something. They dare not use the In season IR on him. He is only 25 and is a solid player. I think he is too injured to help out now.

I think its obvious where this is headed. Its usually 10 players between TE and WR

WR - DA, JE, Dobson, Boyce, Thompkins, Slater,
Leave Harrison on the PUP, Release Jenkins, and send Simms to the Practice Squad with Aiken if there is eligibility.

TE - Gronk on the 53, Fells, Hoo, Sudfield, Ford to the Practice Squad and I think they IR Ballard.. With Fells, Hoo and Suds looking solid there is no reason to PUP Gronk as they wont need another body in the mix to compete.

It's still early, but the "A. Wilson can't cover" seems to have carried over from last year. I wonder if BB would have the stones to cut him when T. Wilson's also not getting the job done.
This is my #1 question at this point in training camp. Neither Gregory not T. Wilson have been particularly impressive. A. Wilson's inability to cover anyone is well documented. Harmon has flashed but it's way to early to project. I am concerned who the strong safety will be come Sept.

Barring injuries, 3 rooks is a done deal. Dobson is a lock, Thomkins and Sudfeld already have done too much to be cut. On the flip side, Ballard, who a lot of people thought would start, isn't gonna make it.

4 Boyce makes the team

I would think they will IR Ballard. They paid his salary for a year so they may want to see of they can salvage something. They dare not use the In season IR on him. He is only 25 and is a solid player. I think he is too injured to help out now.

I think its obvious where this is headed. Its usually 10 players between TE and WR

Leave Harrison on the PUP, Release Jenkins, and send Simms to the Practice Squad with Aiken if there is eligibility.

TE - Gronk on the 53, Fells, Hoo, Sudfield, Ford to the Practice Squad and I think they IR Ballard.. With Fells, Hoo and Suds looking solid there is no reason to PUP Gronk as they wont need another body in the mix to compete.

I like everything you've said except the keeping Fells, just cut him lose, Ballard will be fine. He is just experiencing some soreness, if it was structural damage he wouldn't be on the field.

There is no way an UDFA has 'already done too much to be cut" without ever being in a preseason game.
Contact. pads and lie competition tend to separate camp heros from real NFL players.

This is my #1 question at this point in training camp. Neither Gregory not T. Wilson have been particularly impressive. A. Wilson's inability to cover anyone is well documented. Harmon has flashed but it's way to early to project. I am concerned who the strong safety will be come Sept.

A. Wilson cannot cover? I'm sure he has lost some speed at his later age now but his PFF numbers were still solid across the board.

Overall: -2.4
Run Defense: -6.0
Pass Rush: 1.3
Pass Coverage: 2.6
Penalty:-0.3

To answer your question; in my opinion it will be A. Wilson in early down/short yardage situations and T. Wilson on passing downs (unless Harmon continues to impress).

There is no way an UDFA has 'already done too much to be cut" without ever being in a preseason game.
Contact. pads and lie competition tend to separate camp heros from real NFL players.

Aintcha watchin it Andy? Done I say.

Makes total sense, let him [Wilfork] take over kicking duties. The man wouldn't even need a field goal unit. It would be a death wish for any opponent trying to block that man mountain.:D

Sounds good. Wilfork can be our kicker and Dan Connolly can be our kick-returner ;)

I also wouldn't mind seeing Vince fall back into coverage more either... :D

I like everything you've said except the keeping Fells, just cut him lose, Ballard will be fine. He is just experiencing some soreness, if it was structural damage he wouldn't be on the field.

I hope you are right. I just have a bad feeling that JB is not going to be ready. Need to hear more about the injury though. Perhaps they leave JB on the 53 if Gronk is ready to go. Most of this is dependent on Gronk. I think him going to reserve PUP is unlikely at this point.

I still like Fells. Injured last year he is apparently playing very well in camp. Since they are going to want to insure Gronk only has to play when he is ready and JB limping I just feel Fells is a great insurance policy. His cap charge is not much and the pats have a lot of cap room anyway.

If it comes down to 4 TE then I agree RG, JB, Suds (lets see what he does in a real game) and Hoo are probably the 4 they go with. Fells could be cut in that case.

While I would hope that they don't use the in-season IR designation on Ballard - I would much prefer that BB would wait and hold that in his back pocket for an inevitable injury further down the road - I would not completely rule that out yet.

Also, I assume in the last paragraph that you meant Sudfeld on the 53, and Ford on the Practice Squad - correct?

A couple of thoughts:
1 unfortunately, there is plenty of time before now and the regular season where some players might get injured, which could eliminate some players from roster spots.

2 I think Wilson's likelihood to make the team at this point has less to do with the safeties and more to do with BB's confidence with the coverage LB's. I can see him replacing a backer in some nickel sets. Where I can see Wilson being out there the most is to protect a bit against draws as the Dime Linebacker. I can see this especially if they utilize smaller, faster D-Line alignments on third and long. Jamie Collins athleticism may make Wilson unnecessary there.

I think ultimately the question is not how much worse is he than the safeties (much worse in coverage) but how much, if at all, is he better than the linebackers in coverage.

Excellent point, and one that cannot be overstated.

So very often, year after year, roster battles are determined by unforeseen injuries. Likewise, positions that appear to have quality depth can suddenly become quite thin due to those unexpected injuries.

While I would hope that they don't use the in-season IR designation on Ballard - I would much prefer that BB would wait and hold that in his back pocket for an inevitable injury further down the road - I would not completely rule that out yet.

Also, I assume in the last paragraph that you meant Sudfeld on the 53, and Ford on the Practice Squad - correct?

That is correct. What I wrote was not clear. And as mentioned a lot can happen before now and final cut down days. Injuries and of course guys who look like studs in camp sometimes dont look so impressive during PS game action.

Aintcha watchin it Andy? Done I say.

There is a very long list of players who looked good in the first couple of weeks of camp and either got cut or contributed little.
As I said, lets see what happens at game speed, being covered in real competition with the risk of being hit.
A lot of guys look good in shorts and tshirts. Remember preseason games are among the only opportunities to see these guys get hit. Many players are very different when that happens.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back