PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots 2013 Training Camp - Day 8, Saturday August 3

At this point I would be shocked if Sudfeld doesn't make the 53.

Decent cap savings cutting Fells and keeping Zach.
If and ONLY if Gronk progresses healing thru camp, Fells could be cut or better yet conditionally traded for a late 2014 pick.

Ballard's limping makes him problematical. Were he completely healthy Fells would definitely go were Zach not to flame out in camp.

Twitter/Christopher Price, weei.com

- Brady turns 36 today. Only 4 qbs have won SBs after 35th birthday. Johnny U, Jim Plunkett, Roger Staubach and John Elway.

- Last year at this time, Pats WRs avg age was 28. Right now, (remember, it's a 90-man roster), it's just over 24.

- In all, the Patriots have 11 guys 30 or older, including Brady.

- (Understand that some of these numbers & averages will change before start of the regular season because of 90-man rosters.)

- Youngest guy on the roster is Aaron Dobson, who turned 22 at the end of last month.

- For some perspective, Dobson was 10 years old when Brady and the Patriots won Super Bowl XXXVI against the Rams in New Orleans.

- The Patriots have 28 guys on the 90-man roster age 23 or younger.

Twitter/Dan Hope, Bleacher Report

- First time I've been at Patriots camp on a punting day this year. The stopwatch is out!

- Patriots have Markus Zusevics at RG, Brice Schwab at RT on first-team offensive line to start practice. Vollmer, Connolly looking on.

- Haven't spotted Marcus Cannon out here for the Patriots. He was getting first-team reps at RG earlier in camp.

- Patriots typically have all offense in white, all defense in blue but they've mixed it up today. Many second/third teamers switched sides.

- Patriots DT Vince Wilfork just attempted a field goal. Shanked left off his foot, not even close.

- TE Zach Sudfeld making plays, getting all first-team TE reps for Patriots. Haven't seen Jake Ballard; Hoomanawanui and Fells with backups.

- FWIW, Kenbrell Thompkins getting first-team reps at WR today, Aaron Dobson and Josh Boyce both switched sides to work with offense backups.

- Patriots rookie CB Logan Ryan has been first-team mainstay today, mostly locking down Thompkins. Dennard and Dowling haven't been on field.

- Ryan Mallett just heaved a deep ball into double coverage, Devin McCourty showed his range in making interception. Typical on both ends.

- Patriots have kept Tom Brady on the sidelines almost all practice today. Mallett with first-team offense. Tebow has made many bad throws.

- Judging off their reaction, appears White team (first-team offense, second-team defense) won scrimmage, but I wasn't keeping score.

- OLB Jamie Collins could be a big asset to defense as he develops. Ability to drop into coverage from rush looks creates confusion.

Twitter/Nick Underhill, masslive.com

- Edelman is out here after tweaking foot last night

- Chandler Jones with a nice move to get two feet in on pass thrown by Hightower on side field.

- And before anyone freaks out, they were just messing around.

- McCourty is out with non-contact jersey.

- Wilfork missed a field goal.

- I'd say Tebow's best practice. Can see some good things in him. Progressing.

- Sims had a great practice. A few spectacular catches.

- Brady didnt do much. Couple series and out.

- Thought Tebow did some good things. Throws better to the left. But two steps forward, two back.

- McCourty back at safety.

- Stevan Ridley on his approach: “I’m not coming out unless I got a leg hanging off or something.”

- McCourty on Brady's birthday: "Well, he's had a lot of them ... "

- Same thing with Dennard today. He’s here, but isn’t here. Just kind of hanging out off to the side.

Last edited:
Kudos to jmt57 for taking the time to post all the tweets. Those things are a fun read. Thx.

Practice Observations: Brady's Smooth Work With Danny Amendola Highlights Birthday Party | Jeff Howe, Boston Herald

Brady and Danny Amendola were precise in their lone drive, hooking up for a pair of touchdown passes. The first came on a seam route up the left side, but the second was the big one. Brady made a check at the line to beat the defensive coverage, and Amendola ran a corner route to the right side of the end zone, where Brady’s pass waited for him. Brady was ecstatic that they were able to execute the call, and he celebrated with the whole offense. And that was the day for Brady and Amendola.

Ryan Mallett ran the first-team offense against the first-team defense, and he played pretty well. His one mistake came on a late deep ball that was intercepted by Devin McCourty, who ran it back for a touchdown, sort of. McCourty was “tackled” in the two-hand touch format, but he kept going, got a rise out of his teammates and the crowd, and he finished the run-back by lateralling it to Chandler Jones before the goal line.

Tim Tebow ran the second-team offense against the second-team defense and also had a decent day, though he threw a couple interceptions. One was tipped by tight end Michael Hoomanawanui, and it wound up in Jamie Collins’ hands -- another forced turnover for the rookie -- and the second was a diving pick by safety Duron Harmon.

Tebow developed some nice chemistry with Josh Boyce, and their best play came when Boyce blistered past cornerback Justin Green for a long touchdown pass.

Brady’s first-team targets included wide receivers Julian Edelman and Kenbrell Thompkins, and tight ends Zach Sudfeld. Boyce and Aaron Dobson worked with Tebow’s unit.

Markus Zusevics played right guard with the first team. It’s his first time playing guard, but he has held his own in the absence of Connolly and Cannon.

McCourty, who shed his red non-contact jersey, moved back to safety for the full practice. Kyle Arrington remained in Alfonzo Dennard’s starting role. There isn’t a known or evident injury for Dennard, so his permanent spot on the sideline has been curious in the last few days.

Stevan Ridley made some nice plays in the passing game out of the backfield. That’s an important phase of his development.

- See more at: The Blitz with Jeff Howe & Karen Guregian | Boston Herald

Marcus Forston making inroads on a roster spot | Zuri Berry, Boston Globe

Over the course of the first seven practices, one of the 16 defensive linemen competing for a spot on the team has been Marcus Forston, a practice squad player last season who has been substituting for Vince Wilfork at defensive tackle. He's been getting significant repetitions in practice, a sign that he may stick with the team.

"I still got a long way to go," Forston said. "But I'm just trying to chop at it and do it the way the Patriots want it to be done."

A year on the practice squad with three game appearances is all Forston has to put on his resume. So for him, the last year has been about the learning process, growing as a player and professional.

"I learned so much going up against guys every day like Logan Mankins, [Ryan] Wendell and Dan Connolly," he said. "I'm learning from those guys and going against those guys, giving them a good look week in and week out. I felt like I got better. That was one of the best things to happen to me."

Luckily for Forston, Wilfork is also a great source of knowledge. Forston has been following in Wilfork's footsteps for some time, watching him play in his hometown at the University of Miami before becoming a Hurricane himself, and then signing on with the Patriots as an undrafted rookie last season.

Nowadays, Forston is either in Wilfork's ear or at his house, picking his brain, talking football nonstop.

Thoughts and Observations from Patriots Practice: Saturday Edition | Mike Loyko, NEPatriotsDraft.com

2. Josh Boyce and Kenbrell Thompkins were the two best receivers on the field today. Boyce literally caught everything thrown to him and does so with his hands. He doesn’t let the ball get into his body. Boyce’s speed is evident as a number of times he lost the DB covering him out of his break. He also ran right by CB Justin Green for a long touchdown connection… from Tim Tebow. Thompkins was paired up with Ryan Mallett and appeared to be his go to receiver along with Julian Edelman. He saw a high volume of passes thrown his way. He dropped at least one ball that I saw, but was open consistently. His physical build makes him tough to hold up at the line and on most of this routes he was able to get open by beating tight coverage.

Aaron Dobson didn’t have nearly as many balls thrown his way today. Tim Tebow seemed to fall in love with Josh Boyce and Quentin Sims. When the ball was thrown to him he caught it, but doesn’t create the separation of a Boyce or Thompkins.

3. Zach Sudfeld is clearly the best receiving threat among the healthy tight ends. He’s the fastest of the tight ends on the roster and can be used in a number of positions. On multiple occasions he was able to beat a linebacker or safety in man coverage for what would have been huge gains. While it’s only practice his ability to get open over the middle of the field and beat coverage with his quickness should be an asset once the real games start. His size and length is also a huge factor. He moves well for such a big guy, that he’s tough to match up against. As long as he is healthy, I don’t see anyway he’s not on the 53 man roster.

4. Adrian Wilson was unfortunately a victim of Zach Sudfeld’s success. Two specific plays stand out in which Sudfeld beat Wilson. Sudfeld best Wilson across his face and seperated from him to haul in a big completion. Wilson was unable to keep pace once Sudfeld broke over the middle. I have questions about Wilson’s ability to hold up in coverage, especially in man coverage. His lateral quickness just isn’t there right now, however I do think he will be an asset in the rungame. The Patriots will have to protect him against the passing game, by playing him closer to the line. As far as the safety position goes there are still questions next to Devin McCourty.

Observations from 8th Practice | Field Yates, espnBoston

2. From the under-the-radar department: undrafted rookie punter Ryan Allen took several reps as a holder for Stephen Gostkowski on Saturday. That's something that we think could be significant in the punting competition. Allen has been solid in his punting reps, as has incumbent starter Zoltan Mesko. Mesko has also served as the team's holder during his career, something that Allen previously said he did not do in college while at Louisiana Tech. Should Allen win the punting job, it would be a bonus for the team if he can handle holding duties as well.

5. Defensive standouts go to the two rookies who were responsible for a forced turnover. Safety Duron Harmon, a third-round pick, undercut an outbreaking route on a pass that was thrown by Tim Tebow. Top draft choice Jamie Collins also managed an interception off Tebow, wrestling a ball thrown into a tight window and intended for Michael Hoomanawanui. Forced turnovers have become a regular occurrence by Collins

Devin McCourty sheds non-contact jersey | Emily Kaplan, Boston Globe

McCourty has mostly been working at free safety -- a position he converted to midway through last season.

McCourty has taken reps at other positions -- on Friday he practiced almost exclusively at corner back -- but he warned against reading too much into the switch.

The Patriots’ defense prides itself in versatility. And McCourty said he needs practice working at other positions in case there are injuries or unexpected absences this season.

“I like wherever they put me,” McCourty said. “Right now, to be able to practice in a couple positions always helps you. You can’t take everyone you want into games. You have to play musical chairs out there.”

Switching from position-to-position presents challenges -- mainly adjusting to technique.

“I wish I could say it’s as easy as riding a bike,” McCourty said. “You have to be out there, get reps and experience certain things. You can’t just walk out there and be able to play.”

Still, the defensive group seems to enjoy having McCourty at free safety, a position considered the quarterback of the defense.

“He’s a great communicator,” cornerback Kyle Arrington said. “Sometimes I have to tell him to shut up on the field.”

Today was a slower day. There was a heavy dosage of 11 on 11's with Mallet running the first team, and Tebow the second team. They got a lot of reps. Brady only ran the first series, which was well-orchestrated. Since it wasn't full-contact, I won't mention much regarding the front 7 or O-line. I'll focus on the passing game.

General notes:

Wide Receiver

After cutting Donald Jones, Hawkins, and having Jenkins sit out this practice (for whatever reason) this has provided a ton of reps to the current batch of WRs. Thompkins played with the ones along with Edelman and Amendola. Thompkins and Edelman got a lot of targets and looked good. Edelman had a pair of drops over the entire practice but at least they weren't easy catches. They were gunned in by the respective QBs.

Boyce and Dobson played on the second team. I'm sure this is part of which because there are only so many WRs on the team. I felt kind of bad for them because Tebow's accuracy and reaction times are limited. I hope he gets better. Dobson looked natural out there. It was hard to tell with Boyce because of the repetitions were with Tebow. I hope Boyce works out.

Overall, I'm feeling better about the team considering the they have Amendola, Edelman, Dobson, and Thompkins who look like they should play well, barring injuries. On top of the TE's and RB's, it should provide Brady with adequate targets.

Defensivebacks

McCourty lined up with Adrian Wilson consistently (I need to get used to seeing #24 and not think it's Arrington who's now #25). Gregory and Harmon entered on 2nd team.

At Cornerback, Talib, Arrington, and Logan Ryan consistenty played with the 1's. I honestly and not sure who came in with the 2's (they were going the opposite way from the side of the field I sat).

Tightends

Sudfeld caught a lot of passes. He catches naturally and with his hands (not chest). Being listed at 6' 7" you can understand why he's an attractive target for the likes of backup QB's. He may be tall but he doesn't have a large "size" like a Gronkowski. Fells and Hooman were noticeable as well. Both made good catches. I think Hooman's value will arise in the blocking game, which is not really on display until the preseason games. That will be the greatest test for Sudfeld. We've had other TE's come and go who looked decent in camp. Jury is still out if he's one of them. He did play with the 1's today. I want to say that Fells and Hooman were with the 2's...not sure if that was consistent or not. Fells may have been with the 1's as well.

Quarterbacks

Tebow struggles to throw to the outside. He always wants to dump it off or make the easy throw--even if the area is crowded. He's obviously still learning the system, seeing how he holds on to the ball for too long. I think he is also nervous about throwing to the outside because his accuracy is not naturally very good. Bottomline is that he's a third string player. He lined up next to the punter on punts many times, which isn't a bad idea. He could take a fake punt very well with either a run or pass--albeit, that's uncharacteristic for us. That might work well on 4th-and-short when we're near mid-field.

Mallet played fine. He was clearly somewhere between Brady and Tebow (not that that narrows it down). I thought he played OK, to my layman's eyes. Anyone who thinks he's Brady's successor should know that he has a very, very, very, long road to catch up to the TFB--not remotely close to his ability right now.

Other notes:

Playing with the 2's, I saw Collins and Fletcher get a number of reps as the linebackers. I'm excited to see these two in the preseason. Tarpinian replaced Mayo with the one's at one point. Wilfork was replaced by Forston while Kelly stayed on the field. I won't mention much else regarding the front seven since there was hardly any contact.

Punters

Both looked fine. I thought I noticed Ryan Allen make one of those punts where the ball stops dead. We haven't had a punter that could do that. I didn't see if it worked from my angle. It's something to watch for during the preseason.

Devin McCourty Shines in Patriots Training Camp in Return To Safety, Shedding Non-Contact Jersey | Doug Kyed, NESN
OFFENSE

-Saturday is Tom Brady‘s 36th birthday. Pepper Johnson wore a shirt wishing Tom a happy 40th.

-Zach Sudfeld, Stevan Ridley, Leon Washington and LeGarrette Blount all took snaps split out wide or in the slot. It’s still very obvious Sudfeld is the most athletic tight end on the field. It’s not even very close.

-Brady was only in on two drives during the scrimmage. He threw touchdowns to Danny Amendola in both.

-Tim Tebow showed flashes of brilliance, but most of his scrimmage was spent taking too much time to get rid of the ball and overthrowing, underthrowing and missing receivers. He was keyed in on Josh Boyce and Quentin Sims, but rarely looked Aaron Dobson‘s way. It was clear that it takes longer for Dobson to get open than other shiftier receivers on the roster. Sims had a nice day, going up and over Justin Green for a touchdown. Boyce had a very good practice, even with Tebow throwing to him.

-Kenbrell Thompkins continues to shine and caught another pass up and over Arrington and Logan Ryan.

-Ridley flashed his hands on a wheel route out of the backfield. Chandler Jones was no match for the running back in coverage.

-Julian Edelman looks back to his shifty ways. He had a couple drops, but overall has been solid in his return.

DEFENSE

-McCourty, Duron Harmon and Jamie Collins all had interceptions. Collins’ was after Dane Fletcher had interfered with Michael Hoomanwanui.

-Without a backup long snapper, Rob Ninkovich was snapping to Zoltan Mesko during the scrimmage.

-Harmon looked very good playing deep safety on the second team. He broke up a pass intended for Daniel Fells from Tebow.

-Ryan has been up and down while replacing Dowling on the field. He’ll allow some big receptions deep, but looks solid in the shallow part of the field.

-Talib was rarely targeted out on the field. He’s been extremely productive throughout all of training camp. He struggled at times last season after coming over the Buccaneers, but it seems like his time in the program has been extremely helpful.

-Marcus Benard was playing with the first team and lining up at defensive tackle. It’s possibly he wouldn’t be getting those opportunities if Cunningham were healthy, but he’s making the most of them and has been a standout player during training camp.

-It’s unfortunate Brandon Spikes has limited athleticism and mobility. He has a great nose for the football, and shows off great ball skills in coverage. His issue is getting to the defender on time.

Marcus Benard Says He Thinks 'Kill' When Put in 1-on-1 Pass Rush Drills, Starts Smelling Quarterbacks | Doug Kyed, NESN

If there’s been one surprise standout veteran at Patriots training camp, it’s Marcus Benard.

The free agent defensive end was an unheralded future signing in January, but he’s making his name known by dominating in 1-on-1 pass rush drills. Benard has the right mindset when he lines up across from an offensive lineman. Benard said he thinks “Kill” when asked to get after the signal caller in drills.

“I start sniffing, I start smelling quarterbacks,” Benard said. ”My eyes turn red and I’m ready to go.”

Benard hasn’t taken the typical journey to the NFL. He started out at junior college, then moved on to Jackson State before going undrafted. Benard has had trouble staying healthy in the NFL, but when he’s been on the field, he’s been impressive.

Nowadays, Forston is either in Wilfork's ear or at his house, picking his brain, talking football nonstop.

Vince, Keep an eye on Bianca

Practice Report: Scrimmage Saturday | Field Yates, espnBoston

Several players were not spotted at practice: tight end Jake Ballard, defensive end Jermaine Cunningham, cornerback Ras-I Dowling, safeties Nate Ebner and Tavon Wilson, offensive linemen Marcus Cannon and Kevin Haslam, wide receiver Lavasier Tuinei and defensive lineman Armond Armstead, who remains on the non-football injury list.

Veteran receiver Michael Jenkins, who appeared to tweak his left hamstring on Friday, wore a tee shirt and shorts as an observer.

The session took place in shells and shorts, breaking a streak of five straight days of full pads practice.

The scrimmage appeared to be a blend of scripted and unscripted situations, with head coach Bill Belichick often calling out the down and distance at his own discretion between snaps. The team worked extensively on special teams during the scrimmage as well.

Rosters for Saturday scrimmage | Field Yates, [/i]espnBoston[/i]

White Team Offense (listed numerically)
11 WR Julian Edelman
12 QB Tom Brady
15 QB Ryan Mallett
16 WR Kamar Aiken
22 RB Stevan Ridley
34 RB Shane Vereen
35 RB George Winn
38 RB Brandon Bolden
44 TE Zach Sudfeld
49 TE Brandon Ford
60 OL Brian Schwab
62 C Ryan Wendell
63 OL Dan Connolly
66 OL Markus Zusevics
68 OL Tyronne Green
69 OL Elvis Fisher
70 G Logan Mankins
76 RT Sebastian Vollmer
77 LT Nate Solder
80 WR Danny Amendola
83 WR Johnathan Haggerty
85 WR Kenbrell Thompkins

White Team Defense
23 DB Marquice Cole
28 S Steve Gregory
30 S Duron Harmon
36 DB Brandon Jones
41 DB Justin Green
44 DB Kanorris Davis
45 LB Steve Beauharnais
49 LB A.J. Edds
64 DL Joe Vellano
67 DL Cory Grissom
91 LB Jamie Collins
92 DE Jake Bequette
94 DE Justin Francis
98 DT Marcus Forston
99 DE Michael Buchanan

Blue Team Offense
5 QB Tim Tebow
17 WR Aaron Dobson
18 WR Matthew Slater
29 RB LeGarrette Blount
33 RB Leon Washington
39 FB Ben Bartholomew
47 TE Michael Hoomanawanui
64 OL Chris McDonald
65 OL Luke Patterson
74 OL Will Svitek
82 WR Josh Boyce
84 WR Quentin Sims
86 TE Daniel Fells

Blue Team Defense
24 S Adrian Wilson
25 CB Kyle Arrington
26 CB Logan Ryan
31 CB Aqib Talib
32 DB Devin McCourty
37 CB Alfonzo Dennard
50 DE Rob Ninkovich
51 LB Jerod Mayo
53 LB Jeff Tarpinian
54 LB Dont'a Hightower
55 LB Brandon Spikes
58 DE Marcus Benard
59 LB Mike Rivera
65 DL Scott Vallone
68 DE Jason Vega
69 DL Anthony Rashad White
75 NT Vince Wilfork
90 LB Niko Koutovides
93 DL Tommy Kelly
95 DE Chandler Jones

Among the specialists, kicker Stephen Gostkowski, punter Ryan Allen and long snapper Danny Aiken wore white, while Zoltan Mesko wore blue. Mesko and Allen split holding duties.

Big takeaway: TE Sudfeld on the rise | Mike Reiss, espnBoston

The “big takeaway” from Saturday’s slower-paced scrimmage style practice was that rookie free-agent tight end Zach Sudfeld appears to be ahead of “schedule” and should be one of the more intriguing players to watch in preseason games.

With the Patriots divided up into two teams, Sudfeld lined up with the offensive unit that included most of the projected starters, including quarterback Tom Brady.

At 6-foot-7 and 260 pounds (he is probably closer to 255), Sudfeld runs well for a player his size (4.71 in the 40) and that was evidenced by a few times that he threatened the seam Saturday. He has also proven to have reliable hands, going back to spring workouts.

Sudfeld drew a media crowd after practice, and when we spoke, there were two few points that stood out:

1. One of the biggest adjustments for him has been transitioning from a pistol-style offense in college to a pro offense that features more checks and reads that a tight end has to make. “All of a sudden, it’s this advanced graduate level of football,” he said.

2. Physically, blocking is the area where the greatest development would lie, specific to his footwork and technique. Developing more strength ties into that as well. “I lined up a lot at wing, and we did the read-option, the pistol with [Colin] Kaepernick [at Nevada]. Not that we didn’t block a lot, because we did, but it was a different offense," he said.

So as we look forward to preseason action next week, put Sudfeld’s name near the top of the list of players who will be intriguing to watch.

While there is a long way to go, he has positioned himself to compete for a roster spot.

If pressed into action, hopefully Duron Harmon can be more competent than Tavon Wilson at the free safety position.

If that is the case, it's most likely because Tavon Wilson is a strong safety.

Some more on McCourty, Benard and Brady. Scalavino also has positive coments about Sudfeld, while opining that "(g)iven his history with injuries, (Dowling) cannot afford to miss much more time on the field".

McCourty on the move; Brady celebrates; Sat. notes | Erik Scalavinio, Patriots Football Weekly
Hard work paying off for Benard

Last year at this time, Marcus Benard was on the Cleveland Browns’ reserve/non-football-injury list and eventually released during the regular season. He remained out of football until the Patriots signed him to a futures contract in late January. Today, the veteran defensive end is seeing his fair share of action on the Patriots defense thus far in training camp. He is part of a regular rotation during 11-on-11 periods.

“It was tough,” Benard admitted about being away from the game last season. “This is what I love to do. Not playing was tough for me, but it kept me hungry, kept me grinding, wanting it even more.

“You stay positive, but bad things happen and you have to work your way through them. I can’t say I smiled and laughed through everything, but I just stayed focused and knew what my goals were and where I wanted to be in life. Just kept working.”

When asked where his specialty may lie, Benard answered honestly, “I’m a pass rusher,” but quickly added that he’s willing to do whatever is asked of him in order to make the team, particularly when there is considerable competition for jobs at the defensive end position.

“Everyone knows what’s at stake. There’s definitely competition,” he added. “I keep my head down. I grind every day. First [goal] is make the team. Second, find a role and help the team win.”
Saturday practice/scrimmage observations | Andy hart, Patriots Football Weekly
--With Connolly, Cannon and Green all out of action, second-year Iowa player Markus Zusevics is taking the first-unit reps at right guard next to Sebastian Vollmer.

--Not only does Brian Daboll (who seems to be limping pretty badly with a left knee injury) work with Tebow nearly all the time on the field, the two actually walked step for step onto the practice field together on Saturday.

--Julian Edelman was in uniform and a full participant in the workout, despite seemingly limping around late in practice a day earlier.

--Tebow once again worked as a personal protector in pre-practice punt work. Jerod Mayo also took reps at the spot.

--While the divide between the teams and the first and second units on both sides of the ball was clear for the most part, there were a few players who didn’t fall exactly as the depth chart might expect. Adrian Wilson and McCourty manned the safety spot for the blue defense, while 2012 starter Steve Gregory was relegated to working with the white team.

Amendola, Edelman and Kenbrell Thompkins were the top receivers with Brady and Ryan Mallett for the white squad, while rookies Aaron Dobson and Josh Boyce donned blue jerseys with Tebow.

And maybe most interestingly, veteran tight ends Daniel Fells and Michael Hoomanawanui worked for the blue team while Zach Sudfeld was one of the more consistent weapons for the white side.

--During one punt return rep, both Edelman and Leon Washington were back to receive. Edelman was the deep man while Washington was staggered closer to the line of scrimmage. We’ve seen this look in the past from the Patriots with guys like Edelman, Wes Welker, Kevin Faulk and Troy Brown pairing up to give an extra set of hands in certain key situations.

--Sudfeld made the most of his time working with the top two quarterbacks. He caught a nice play down the left side on one of Brady’s first throws of the day. Later he seemed to connect almost endlessly with Mallett, including a number of would-be touchdowns. It was easily the rookie free agent’s best practice of the summer and looked reminiscent of the consistent positive performances he was putting forth during spring practice.

--Tebow’s first drive for the blue team ended with a Gostkowski field goal, at least in part due to a badly underthrown ball intended for Dobson down the right side.

--Thompkins had a solid day catching the ball – and fighting for some other throws that ended up being broken up – in his work for the white team. Also a good sign that he wasn’t wearing the tape job on the back of his right leg that he had been sporting earlier in camp. If he can stay healthy, No. 85 certainly looks like he can very much compete physically. Both he and Dobson have not problem going after and fighting for the football.

--Not sure we’ve noted this yet, but Harrison has massive arms. He is one yoked-up receiver. Be good to see him get on the field and see what he has to offer as an oversized pass catcher. His arms almost rival those of Hulk’s – Adrian Wilson.

--The second offensive line, working for the blue team, from left to right, consisted of Will Svitek, Chris McDonald, Josh Kline, Luke Patterson and R.J. Mattes. Like Zusevics and Cannon, Mattes is another guy who’s taken reps at both guard and tackle this summer.

--Jason Vega got some backup reps at defensive tackle for the blue squad. Though built more like an edge player at 6-4, 255 he’s one of a number of undersized guys who’ve gotten a chance working on the inside.

--Green really seemed to struggle throughout in coverage. He was on the wrong end of many of Tebow’s long completions.

--Though coverage remains a concern for Adrian Wilson, he did have a pass defense on the much younger Sudfeld at one point.

--Building on his extensive reps on Friday, Duron Harmon made a nice play for an interception Saturday when he cut in front of Fells to steal a Tebow toss.

---- There's a whole lot more, check the link above for the complete report.

Last edited:

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back