PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots 2013 Training Camp - Day 8, Saturday August 3

If that is the case, it's most likely because Tavon Wilson is a strong safety.
That was not the case in the fourth quarter of the Seattle Seahawks game last season.

One good thing about having Tebow on board is that it gives our receivers practice at making those harder to reach grabs:

BQw_A70CAAAiZ_c.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/SteveB7SFG/status/363734955173486593/photo/1

Good write up on the rookies:

Rookies Looking Ready to Step Up in New England Patriots Training Camp | NEPatriotsDraft.com - 2013 NFL Draft

The Patriots drafted two receivers, Aaron Dobson (Round 2, No. 59 overall) and Josh Boyce (Round 4, No. 102 overall). Dobson has missed some practice due to injury, but showed in early practices that he can bring both size and athleticism as an outside downfield playmaker at wide receiver. Boyce has progressively improved in each practice I have attended, and stood out on Saturday morning by getting open with crisp routes and consistently catching the ball in his hands.

Both players have arguably been overshadowed, however, by undrafted wideout Kenbrell Thompkins. Thompkins has a relative unknown coming out of Cincinnati, but he has quickly made a name for himself in Patriots training camp. He has been impressive as both an impressive and deep receiver, and displays a strong combination of speed, quickness and size. Just nine days into training camp, Thompkins already looks like a lock to make the roster.

All three of those rookie receivers have received a good amount of work with the first-team offense already, but for what it’s worth, Thompkins worked with the first-team offense during the Patriots’ scrimmage on Saturday morning, while Dobson and Boyce were with the second-team offense. All three receivers are expected to see immediate playing time this season, nonetheless, should each of them perform well in the preseason.

That said, the biggest impression of all of the team’s rookie pass-catchers, especially on Saturday, may be coming from undrafted tight end Zach Sudfeld. Sudfeld likely went undrafted due to a history of injuries at Nevada, but he has been healthy and standing out thus far in training camp.

Sudfeld has terrific size for a tight end (6’7” and 260 pounds) but is also a very good athlete who not only has good downfield speed but also the quickness to make defenders miss. In the three practices I have attended, Sudfeld has shown a consistent ability to get open by running crisp routes and creating mismatches against linebackers and defensive backs. He has displayed soft, natural hands and caught a strong majority of passes that have been thrown his way.

I admittedly slept on Sudfeld as a draft prospect, but I’m not sleeping on him anymore. With Jake Ballard not involved in the scrimmage and both Michael Hoomanawanui and Daniel Fells working with the second-team offense, Sudfeld received nearly all tight end repetitions with the first-team offense on Saturday morning. He has the most ability of all the team’s healthy tight ends, especially as a receiving threat, and looks like the favorite to start at tight end should Gronkowski not return

The defensive rookies are on page two.

More positive Harmon stuff which I like.

It's still early, but the "A. Wilson can't cover" seems to have carried over from last year. I wonder if BB would have the stones to cut him when T. Wilson's also not getting the job done.

It's still early, but the "A. Wilson can't cover" seems to have carried over from last year. I wonder if BB would have the stones to cut him when T. Wilson's also not getting the job done.

I think he'll stick because of his run defending although I'm not convinced he's a lock. Whether he's a starter is a whole other question. Would be strange that, after all the safety acquisitions we've made, McCourty and Gregory are still the starting safeties.

In the back of my mind I have been thinking that he might be the big 'surprise cut' for a while now. I never considered him to be a roster lock, and think he is even further from that designation after reading the training camp reports.

Hopefully my concerns are unfounded and I'm wrong, and he turns into a very productive contributor this year. It would be nice to see some quality play from the safety position for a change.

Btw Manx, Team Duron is looking pretty good. He had another solid day it seems.

Wilson has had iffy reports, Tavon's in the doghouse, all that leaves is Gregory to beat out to start. :eek:

I think we (and more importantly BB) knew A. Wilson's strong suit wasn't going to be coverage - at least at this stage of his career. I think BB will find a way utilize him so that he will be a valuable contributor on this D.

Btw Manx, Team Duron is looking pretty good. He had another solid day it seems.

Wilson has had iffy reports, Tavon's in the doghouse, all that leaves is Gregory to beat out to start. :eek:

I think it's more likely that Duron starts if McCourty plays CB - he's better in that deeper role. Still Team Duron - I like it. Calling founding member.

Jeff Howe: The Patriots released tackle Elvis Fisher and WR Lavasier Tuinei. Neither player practiced today due to injury.

Jeff Howe: Patriots signed four players Thursday. One of them lasted 24 hours. Another lasted 48. Training camp ain't glamorous.

Mike Loyko: Elvis Fisher has battled injuries his whole career. Spent yesterday cycling instead of playing football. Omnious absence for Tuinei today

Mike Loyko: Lavasier Tuinei has now been released by 5 teams.. all relatively quickly after being signed. NFL might not be for him.

Mike Reiss: Back-end roster moves for Patriots: Rookie OT Elvis Fisher & first-year WR Lavasier Tuinei waived. Were longshots for roster spots.

Last edited:

A couple of thoughts:
1 unfortunately, there is plenty of time before now and the regular season where some players might get injured, which could eliminate some players from roster spots.
2 I think Wilson's likelihood to make the team at this point has less to do with the safeties and more to do with BB's confidence with the coverage LB's. I can see him replacing a backer in some nickel sets. Where I can see Wilson being out there the most is to protect a bit against draws as the Dime Linebacker. I can see this especially if they utilize smaller, faster D-Line alignments on third and long. Jamie Collins athleticism may make Wilson unnecessary there.

I think ultimately the question is not how much worse is he than the safeties (much worse in coverage) but how much, if at all, is he better than the linebackers in coverage.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back