PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots 2013 Training Camp - Day 8, Saturday August 3

A. Wilson cannot cover? I'm sure he has lost some speed at his later age now but his PFF numbers were still solid across the board.

Overall: -2.4
Run Defense: -6.0
Pass Rush: 1.3
Pass Coverage: 2.6
Penalty:-0.3

To answer your question; in my opinion it will be A. Wilson in early down/short yardage situations and T. Wilson on passing downs (unless Harmon continues to impress).

I know you are new here, so let me be the first to alert you. PFF is worthless. Its been addressed many times on this sight. They are grading players from TV feed, and admittedly have individuals with no football knowledge or experience doing their grading.
When Brady was the only unanimous MVP in NFL history they ranked him 30th. An example of their grading system is you get more points for throwing an Int into triple coverage than throwing it away because no one was open, because they you get huge points for trying to make difficult throws.
The silliness of their rankings is almost legendary around here.

Re: Re: Patriots Training Camp Day 8

I know you are new here, so let me be the first to alert you. PFF is worthless. Its been addressed many times on this sight. They are grading players from TV feed, and admittedly have individuals with no football knowledge or experience doing their grading.
When Brady was the only unanimous MVP in NFL history they ranked him 30th. An example of their grading system is you get more points for throwing an Int into triple coverage than throwing it away because no one was open, because they you get huge points for trying to make difficult throws.
The silliness of their rankings is almost legendary around here.

I tend to agree; unfortunately there isn't a lot of sites or statistics that indicate how well a player does in coverage.

I do appreciate you letting me know however thank you as always Andy.

There is a very long list of players who looked good in the first couple of weeks of camp and either got cut or contributed little.
As I said, lets see what happens at game speed, being covered in real competition with the risk of being hit.
A lot of guys look good in shorts and tshirts. Remember preseason games are among the only opportunities to see these guys get hit. Many players are very different when that happens.

Of course. But they are making the most of their opportunities, improving, and have a big up side, and--most importantly--they have nobody to beat out. Perhaps you noticed the gaping hole in the roster at receiver.

Of course. But they are making the most of their opportunities, improving, and have a big up side, and--most importantly--they have nobody to beat out. Perhaps you noticed the gaping hole in the roster at receiver.

Amendola, Dobson, Jenkins, Edelman, Boyce leaves Thompkins for the practice squad.
Gronk, Ballard, Fells, Hooman leaves Sudfeld there as well.

There is just no way they have already made the team.
I'm not saying they haven't been encouraging, I'm saying its impossible for a rookie to 'have done to much to be cut' by August 3rd, with the exception of higher draft choices who can make the team on upside even if they show poorly in camp.
I would say Dobson and Boyce are locks, but thats not from what they have done, they were locks the day they were drafted.

I tend to agree; unfortunately there isn't a lot of sites or statistics that indicate how well a player does in coverage.

I do appreciate you letting me know however thank you as always Andy.

Thats the bigger problem with PFF. Since it is the only site to put up those kind of stats, people quote it a lot without realizing it is total garbage. Therefore it gains credibility in a backasswards way.

I dont see a gaping hole. I see some young hungry guys all trying to become NFL stars. That is what this team needed. So far it looks like they may have a player of two out of that bunch. Where is the hole? Lloyd? I would think one of Boyce, Dobson, or Thompkins would be able to match that production with the amount of touches Lloyd got.

Plus, having multiple guys being able to play will make us tougher to defend.

Thats the bigger problem with PFF. Since it is the only site to put up those kind of stats, people quote it a lot without realizing it is total garbage. Therefore it gains credibility in a backasswards way.

Is there a site that shows, passer rating against, completion percentage against and the other basic stats?

I dont see a gaping hole. I see some young hungry guys all trying to become NFL stars. That is what this team needed. So far it looks like they may have a player of two out of that bunch. Where is the hole? Lloyd? I would think one of Boyce, Dobson, or Thompkins would be able to match that production with the amount of touches Lloyd got.

Plus, having multiple guys being able to play will make us tougher to defend.

It can be hard to see.

rose-colored-glasses.jpg

Amendola, Dobson, Jenkins, Edelman, Boyce leaves Thompkins for the practice squad.

I'm not saying they haven't been encouraging, I'm saying its impossible for a rookie to 'have done to much to be cut' by August 3rd, with the exception of higher draft choices who can make the team on upside even if they show poorly in camp.
I would say Dobson and Boyce are locks, but thats not from what they have done, they were locks the day they were drafted.

Thompkins has outperformed everyone besides Amendola and you have him on the practice squad?

We'll see week 1.

It seems extremely unlikely Jenkins will beat out Thompkins.

Unless Thompkins takes a huge dump in preseason, I just don't see it.

I see 8 years without a SB. What do you see? Welker and Lloyd and gone and we are doomed?

Don't be so touchy. The losses of Welker, Lloyd and Hernandez created a hole or, as you might put it, "an opportunity." Thompkins, Sudfeld and Boyce don't all make it if those three are still here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Agreed

I would say that whichever WR earns the touches/looks that Lloyd got will more than match Lloyd's production.

Hell, simply staying on their feet, resisting the urge to stop-drop-fetal position, attempting to matriculate the ball down the field, and dare I say attempting to break a tackle.......

Don't you think that Ballard goes to PUP?

- Rob Ninkovich is back in as a long snapper. Yesterday he played some long snapper too.

Anybody see this as a possibilty for the regular season? It would be huge not having a spot on the roster held by a long snapper only player. I know he entered the NFL as a long snapper.

Don't you think that Ballard goes to PUP?

Nobody can "go" to the PUP. You have to be there from the beginning of training camp, and Ballard was taken off after like a day.

Don't be so touchy. The losses of Welker, Lloyd and Hernandez created a hole or, as you might put it, "an opportunity." Thompkins, Sudfeld and Boyce don't all make it if those three are still here.

I am not that touchy and certainly not a pats glasses wearing homer. I think this team needed to take a real shot at developing some young raw wideouts. And, as it been stated here the game is changing and big physical receivers are needed as the Polian rule seems to be going away.

I like what they are doing and so far it looks like a few of the guys can play. Perhaps they change the playbook a bit to accommodate the talent they have instead of trying to make players fit the book. I just dont see a gaping hole like you do. I see opportunity to find TB12 some young hungry guys he can gel with for a while. Better to find them now while TB is still 36 then to try to do it later on.

They might end up with much more talent then last year at WR. They will certainly have guys that are much more physical.

Also you dont think one of these rooks could have beaten out Lloyd and his bad attitude???? I wouldn't bet on that

Can we have people take a test before they post here? Sort of a football 101 type thing. This is the second time today someone has suggested a player at camp, practicing be put on PUP.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back