Patriots 2010 Pre-Draft Review - Defense & Special Teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Patriots Defense Off-season Preview.

DT/NT – Vince Wilfork,Ron Brace, Myron Pryor, Darryl Richard– The Pats took Brace in the 2nd round last year and many people were very down on him because he didn’t spend much time on the field. Well, people over-look that the Pats were playing a LOT of 4-3 to start with and that limited the personnel they could put on the field. Brace played decently enough in the 2 games he started for Wilfork. He was double and triple-teamed most of the time he was on the field. He’s still a major work in progress. Myron Pryor came out of nowhere and forced himself onto the team. He was probably the 3rd best rookie for the Pats. Richard spent his time on the Practice Squad.

Unless the Pats stick with the 4-3 as their base, they have their NTs in Wilfork and Brace with Pryor coming in on Nickle packages the way that Jarvis Green did when he was young. I don’t see them drafting a NT this year.

DE/DT - Ty Warren, Mike Wright, Damione Lewis, Adrian Grady – What was once a strength for the Pats has become a potential weakness. Seymour and Green are both gone. That puts a lot of pressure on Mike Wright, Ty Warren and Damione Lewis going forward.

I expect the Pats to look at guys like Jared Odrick, Tyson Alualu, Linval Joseph, Al Woods, Brandon Deaderick, Arthur Jones, Mike Neal, Sean Lissemore and Kade Weston. Again, a variety of value throughout the draft.

ILB/OLB – Tully Banta-Cain, Adalius Thomas, Shawn Crable, Jerod Mayo, Gary Guyton, Stephen Alexander, Bruce Davis, Thomas Williams, Tyrone McKenzie, Rob Ninkovich, Marques Murrell, Pierre Woods– The Pats made the right move in bringing back TBC. He proved that he could rush the passer out of the 3-4 and still be adequate against the run. However, no one else stepped up.

Adalius Thomas and Derrick Burgess were both horrible. Crable spent the year on the IR, though he is fully healthy now.

Inside, the Pats return Mayo, Guyton, and McKenzie. McKenzie is a huge question mark since he’s coming off an ACL injury.

Woods, Murrell, Davis, Alexander, Williams, Ninkovich and Crable will be in a fight for the remaining LB spots.

This is probably the most WANTED position by Pats fans and has been for the last 7 years. Potential additions could include: McLain, Lee, Spikes, Witherspoon, Joe Pawelek, Danny Batten, A.J. Edds, Josh Hull and Alex Joseph for the ILB postion. For the OLB position, you have Sergio Kindle, Corey Wooton, Austen Lane, Daniel Te’o-Nesheim, Lindsey Witten, and George Johnson.

CB - Leigh Bodden , Terrence Wheatley, Jonathan Wilhite, Shawn Springs, Darius Butler, Kyle Arrington- The Pats made a splash by adding Darius Butler in the 2nd round of the Draft after having signed Shawn Springs and Leigh Bodden. That allowed them to trade away Ellis Hobbs.

Wheatley disappeared for almost the entirety of the season, being inactive on game days. Wilhite couldn’t make up his mind as to whether or not he wanted to be the #2 CB opposite Bodden. Butler showed signs that he’ll be a starter in this league for awhile.

Springs spent much of the season “injured” and rumors were abound that he and BB weren’t seeing eye to eye. Much like BB and AD.

Arrington was amazing on special teams. He definitely opened some eyes and its no wonder the Pats signed him to their practice squad and then activated him when Lockett went down.

After much thought, I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Pats add another CB. There are some good ones in the draft that the Pats could surprise people and add. Guys like Kyle Wilson, Devin McCourtey, and AJ Jefferson,

Safety – Brandon McGowan, Brandon Meriweather, James Sanders, Patrick Chung, Brett Lockett -

The Pats really solidified their group of safeties last year with the addition of Brandon McGowan and Patrick Chung. Chung looks to be a future starter and McGowan took the Pats like gang-busters, forcing Sanders to the bench. However, by the end of the year, McGowan was on the bench and Sanders had re-taken his spot as a starter.

Lockett was good on special teams, but Arrington proved to be better.

Special Teams:

Kicker – Stephen Gostkowski -
Gostkowski is an RFA this year. I fully expect the Pats to tender him at the 1st round pick or 1st/3rd round pick level. Though a long term deal would be better.

Punter –David King – The Patriots, ever thinking outside the box, brought in 38 yr. old Aussie Football Punter David King to compete for the job of Punter. Right now, there isn’t much competition, but many believe the Pats have Zoltan Mesko on their radar. Personally, I’m hoping for either Brent Bowden or Mike Brandtner. Mesko was mediocre during Senior Bowl practices and during the Senior Bowl itself.

Long-Snapper –Jake Ingram – The Pats added Ingram via the draft and the kid didn’t disappoint. He was as solid as Lonnie Paxton was for the Pats.

Last edited:
Patriots Defense Off-season Preview.

DT/NT – Vince Wilfork,Ron Brace, Myron Pryor, Darryl Richard– The Pats took Brace in the 2nd round last year and many people were very down on him because he didn’t spend much time on the field. Well, people over-look that the Pats were playing a LOT of 4-3 to start with and that limited the personnel they could put on the field. Brace played decently enough in the 2 games he started for Wilfork. He was double and triple-teamed most of the time he was on the field. He’s still a major work in progress. Myron Pryor came out of nowhere and forced himself onto the team. He was probably the 3rd best rookie for the Pats. Richard spent his time on the Practice Squad.

Unless the Pats stick with the 4-3 as their base, they have their NTs in Wilfork and Brace with Pryor coming in on Nickle packages the way that Jarvis Green did when he was young. I don’t see them drafting a NT this year.

DE/DT - Ty Warren, Mike Wright, Damione Lewis, Adrian Grady – What was once a strength for the Pats has become a potential weakness. Seymour and Green are both gone. That puts a lot of pressure on Mike Wright, Ty Warren and Damione Lewis going forward.

I expect the Pats to look at guys like Jared Odrick, Tyson Alualu, Linval Joseph, Al Woods, Brandon Deaderick, Arthur Jones, Mike Neal, Sean Lissemore and Kade Weston. Again, a variety of value throughout the draft.

ILB/OLB – Tully Banta-Cain, Adalius Thomas, Shawn Crable, Jerod Mayo, Gary Guyton, Stephen Alexander, Bruce Davis, Thomas Williams, Tyrone McKenzie, Rob Ninkovich, Marques Murrell, Pierre Woods– The Pats made the right move in bringing back TBC. He proved that he could rush the passer out of the 3-4 and still be adequate against the run. However, no one else stepped up.

Adalius Thomas and Derrick Burgess were both horrible. Crable spent the year on the IR, though he is fully healthy now.

Inside, the Pats return Mayo, Guyton, and McKenzie. McKenzie is a huge question mark since he’s coming off an ACL injury.

Woods, Murrell, Davis, Alexander, Williams, Ninkovich and Crable will be in a fight for the remaining LB spots.

This is probably the most WANTED position by Pats fans and has been for the last 7 years. Potential additions could include: McLain, Lee, Spikes, Witherspoon, Joe Pawelek, Danny Batten, A.J. Edds, Josh Hull and Alex Joseph for the ILB postion. For the OLB position, you have Sergio Kindle, Corey Wooton, Austen Lane, Daniel Te’o-Nesheim, Lindsey Witten, and George Johnson.

CB - Leigh Bodden , Terrence Wheatley, Jonathan Wilhite, Shawn Springs, Darius Butler, Kyle Arrington- The Pats made a splash by adding Darius Butler in the 2nd round of the Draft after having signed Shawn Springs and Leigh Bodden. That allowed them to trade away Ellis Hobbs.

Wheatley disappeared for almost the entirety of the season, being inactive on game days. Wilhite couldn’t make up his mind as to whether or not he wanted to be the #2 CB opposite Bodden. Butler showed signs that he’ll be a starter in this league for awhile.

Springs spent much of the season “injured” and rumors were abound that he and BB weren’t seeing eye to eye. Much like BB and AD.

Arrington was amazing on special teams. He definitely opened some eyes and its no wonder the Pats signed him to their practice squad and then activated him when Lockett went down.

After much thought, I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Pats add another CB. There are some good ones in the draft that the Pats could surprise people and add. Guys like Kyle Wilson, Devin McCourtey, and AJ Jefferson,

Safety – Brandon McGowan, Brandon Meriweather, James Sanders, Patrick Chung, Brett Lockett -

The Pats really solidified their group of safeties last year with the addition of Brandon McGowan and Patrick Chung. Chung looks to be a future starter and McGowan took the Pats like gang-busters, forcing Sanders to the bench. However, by the end of the year, McGowan was on the bench and Sanders had re-taken his spot as a starter.

Lockett was good on special teams, but Arrington proved to be better.

Special Teams:

Kicker – Stephen Gostkowski -
Gostkowski is an RFA this year. I fully expect the Pats to tender him at the 1st round pick or 1st/3rd round pick level. Though a long term deal would be better.

Punter –David King – The Patriots, ever thinking outside the box, brought in 38 yr. old Aussie Football Punter David King to compete for the job of Punter. Right now, there isn’t much competition, but many believe the Pats have Zoltan Mesko on their radar. Personally, I’m hoping for either Brent Bowden or Mike Brandtner. Mesko was mediocre during Senior Bowl practices and during the Senior Bowl itself.

Long-Snapper –Jake Ingram – The Pats added Ingram via the draft and the kid didn’t disappoint. He was as solid as Lonnie Paxton was for the Pats.

This post is right on the money.

Nice write up DB.
I hope Burgess is brought back (for cheap) after seeing that DE list, I know he was useless for most of the season but seemed to come on towards the end. Much needed depth at the least and cuts down on the picks we have to use at DE/OLB.
Yes I hope the draft is prioritized around DE/OLB

I think we picked up the 28-year-old David King, not the 38-year-old David King. The Patriots put out an inaccurate press release when he was signed and it won't go away.

I think we picked up the 28-year-old David King, not the 38-year-old David King. The Patriots put out an inaccurate press release when he was signed and it won't go away.

Sorry, but you'd be wrong. The NFL has them as having signed the 38 year old David King. 3/7/1972.

Sorry, but you'd be wrong. The NFL has them as having signed the 38 year old David King. 3/7/1972.

The NFL is wrong too. They signed the 28 year old David King who played semi-professional aussie rules football and not the 38 year old David King who won championchips in 1996 and 1999.

Seeing as though DE/OLB is my favorite position to watch in football I had been praying for a new stud for a while. Hadn't really done the math, saw your 7 year reference, did the math...holy crap it's been a while! Hopefully this is the year. I really think there are some in the first couple rounds that finally meet all the standards BB looks for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes