PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pass defense is just... I don't even know what to say

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are so ruining my post-cardiac arrest buzz.

Wilhite didn't play great, but I will take him over Toast O'Neil.

The only time I was really upset with Whilhite was when he gave up on trying to tackle Wallace. Otherwise, I didn't get too upset with his mistakes.

Hard to say they misjudged CBs, O'Neil was meant to be a stopgap until Wheatley matured, losing Wheatley led to a shift and today Wilhite stepped up and started - he played well, the pull up on Wallace's scramble is partly a rookie mistake and partly Goodall wimp wristed football - though shall not touch a QB near the sideline. Other than Meriweather getting toasted by Carlson a couple times (which is no surprise, I wanted to draft him last spring), the young guys (1st and 2nd year) out there should make us proud.

I had to wash my mouth out with soap after posting that. But I do believe that they did misjudge Bryant and O'Neal.

I had to wash my mouth out with soap after posting that. But I do believe that they did misjudge Bryant and O'Neal.
Not if you were looking for fillers to hold the job until one of the rookies was ready - O'Neal was fading and Wheatley was starting to step up... Oh well, injuries happen, Wilhite surprised me by starting - I wasn't expecting him to be up to speed outside and he fooled me.

Maybe if Pees ever sent someone to pressure the QB rather than have them play 10 yards off the receiver and just stand around.

I'd say it works better than not most of the time when we send someone.

He fumbled at the end.
Who caused that space aliens or the Pats defense ?

I think his point is that Seneca Wallace, who has been very sketchy in the NFL, made our Defense look pretty pathetic out there for 3 quarters......luckily the D got their sh#t together in that last quarter....ad the rest is history.

For this defense to allow 21 points against a mediocre offense is just... just...

... about what I'd respect. I'm not sure that given the injury situation any of us should expect much more. Take it for what you will.

I think his point is that Seneca Wallace, who has been very sketchy in the NFL, made our Defense look pretty pathetic out there for 3 quarters......luckily the D got their sh#t together in that last quarter....ad the rest is history.

Seneca Wallace is a slippery SOB and our D is not fast enough to catch him from behind if he gets away. They had to be careful. Some guys don't scramble, and you play different. They had to be really wary and mentally tough as guys started to leave the field.

With the *****ing and moaning here you'd almost think the Patriots were 5-8 with their starters and a healthy team.

Take away two circus plays from Branch in the 2nd half and the defense dominates after half time.

Seattle is scoring 18 ppg this season. Complaining that this team allowed 21 given the injury circumstances is not exactly a sign of mental acuity.

Seattle is scoring 18 ppg this season. Complaining that this team allowed 21 given the injury circumstances is not exactly a sign of mental acuity.

Shhh... they still have their belts and shoelaces...

You don't know what to say? I'll say it. They are:

1) all banged up
2) either too old and slow (and BB never thought he'd have to play those that fit this category as much as he has to, and in fact waited until this week to bring in 2 of them in an "I'm desperate and there is no one else left" type of move); or
3) too young and inexperienced (and BB never thought he'd have to play those that fit this category as much as he has had to do)

and the reason we have too many players in categories 2 and 3 can be traced to category 1.

We have no business being here but we have been spoiled by our team and our coaches who expect excellence and wins every week from themselves, and those expectations have trickled down to the fans. Trouble is we get to sit home on our couches with our beers while they have to go out and actually win something. We have lived to fight another day. That is all we can or should ask for.

They're getting by but anyone who thinks this D can get us past the first playoff game is kidding themselves

The positive here is Mayo, Merriweather, Guyton, Wilhite, Wheatley etc have all had a lot of time playing this season and will be better next

IMO we need a quality safety, an OLB and another CB - thought Wheatley looked real good until he went down for the second half of the season but IF we get something for MC we have the possibility of 4 picks in the first 2 rounds...

They basically stayed in the base 3-4 even when facing 3 or more WRs due to Bruschi going down and the new - old guys having to play far more often. They did OK based on a much much reduced play set defensively.

The way the game started it certainly looked like we were gonna get lit up for 40. And had it not been for a great play by Meriweather the game would've likely gone into OT.

We saved the season for one more week, but unless we can find someone to consistently rush the passer there's no hope in the playoffs.

IMO struggling through adversity and succeeding shows a person's true character.
I think you can say that about sports teams too. It's all fun and games when you're
16-0 and your qb is playing like no qb ever. But, what this team is doing this year
makes me very proud to be a Patriots fan. Do we need work? Of course. Is our
defense getting old? The math major in me says yes there too. This team has shown
no quit. The coaching staff has a supposedly high school qb leading us to a
double digit winning season. Hey, when the Pats season ends short of a championship
we still have the Bruins to fall back on. Can't believe I just typed that:)

yah our defense is bad. gonna have to make a bunch of moves in the offseason to get a playmaker in there, plus a few other decent players.

In my opinion, the following players cannot be back

1) Bruschi, Vrabel, Sanders, O'Neal, Seau

at least not in a starters capacity.

yah our defense is bad. gonna have to make a bunch of moves in the offseason to get a playmaker in there, plus a few other decent players.

In my opinion, the following players cannot be back

1) Bruschi, Vrabel, Sanders, O'Neal, Seau

at least not in a starters capacity.

What's wrong with Seau? The guy came in after an offseason (and most of the regular season) of surfing and picked up the D rather quickly. As for the others, I think Bruschi is probably going to call it a career anyway. If Crable develops, he probably takes the majority of snaps from Vrabel next year, Sanders I'm okay with if he stays but I'd much rather get a leveler of a safey the way Rodney was. O'Neal is just flat out horrible... no pass rush or not. Hell, I don't think even an '85 Bears type of pass rush would help Deltha O'Neal. He just sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes