PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Panthers scare me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, panther fan returning.

Looking forward to a good week of football talk leading up to a good game on monday. I remember you guys being a good bunch to talk to the last time we played.

It's true, the panthers D hasn't really faced a dynamic pocket passer on brady's level this year. I'm not sure how we're going to defend you. We play a lot of zone coverage on defense and we're showing more of a tendency to blitz. These are two things that brady has made a habit out of exploiting.

But I think our offense will have plenty of opportunities against your D. Cam has been the best passer in the league on 3rd downs this year and we lead the league in time of possession per drive.

I bet the espn people are drooling over having this matchup on monday night. Time for them to fire up the hype machine.

cheers.

This guy isnt really a Panthers fan fellas. Hes a slurp king.

Not that anything is wrong with it.

my stupid thinking...panthers have won 5 strait..they are going to lose sooner or later and the pats are coming off a bye

I think its little different with roethlisberger. He runs around to throw the ball. Not sure how good newton is throwing on the run. They wouldnt mind him throwing outside the pocket I think but dont want him to run. Very much like they tried with geno smith. had a couple of significant breakdowns in that game.

cam88.gif

Cam Newton is capable of extending plays because of over aggressive edge rushers. He might not have the arm of Roethlisberger, but he can run, which gives the same result.

Interesting..pats open 1.5 underdogs in this game

I was with ya until I got here. Kinda had to read it over a few times, too. Where is any of this... ingratitude or ignorance on here? Do people post things like that in game day threads when we're losing and fans are frustrated? Are you talking about the thread on how Steelers scored 31 points (their highest score this season) against us, which worried some people about the defense? Who on here doesn't appreciate this team or enjoy being a Pats fan? I wanna know, 'cause they don't deserve this team and should get the **** out.

:welcome:

You're new, give it time. ;)

Okay. Fair enough.

I am not overly concerned about a crazy pass rush because year in and year out we deal with it(wake, watt, mathis, etc). I am concerned if their front seven can stuff the run like the jets or seattle. I always feel that we have a great shot of winning if we can run. I know the panthers couldn't defend the run last year and I'm wondering how much could they have improved in a year.

I do not fear Cam as a passer. He seems to throw at least one pick in every game I have seen. Cam as a runner scares me. We almost never have to deal with a mobile qb, especially not one at Cam's level. Just the thought of our fat linebackers trying to catch him makes me cringe.

Too this point, I have never seen a healthy Gronk stopped, and I don't expect the panthers to be the first to do so. Imho, Gronk will play a huge role in us defeating the panthers.

They have the #2 ranked rush D
They have the #2 ranked overall D

they doubled down on DTs in the draft. PFF rates Star as top 3 in terms of DTs against the run...and we have a healthy Thomas Davis paired with an rapidly emerging Luke Kuechly (some are calling him the best MLB in the game)

So Carolina has improved against the run.

Another thing that makes there front different than Watts or Wakes.....is they aren't a one man front. They have the best 4-3 DE duo in the NFL and finally have DT help

The good news is that Carolina has one of the worst receiving corps in the league. Smith is still good, but he's being asked to do too much (calling it right now, he'll have 2 TDs if Ryan or Arrington are on him for any considerable amount of time, which is what I'm afraid will happen). LaFell and Ginn are nothing to write home about. Newton terrifies me, though; the guy's a beast.

The Pats probably won't be able to run against the Panthers' base defense, and Cannon's going to have to show up against their pass rush. I'm really interested to see how Gronk vs. Kuechly pans out, because they're both just about the best at what they do. At the risk of dramatically oversimplifying things, I think that whoever wins that matchup will win the game for their team. That's also why I'd love to see Vereen back on the field for this game; if Kuechly is mostly worried about Gronk, then they'll have basically no way of handling Vereen.

Best shot for the offense will be to just put Gronk and Vereen on the field and then attack the defense based on what they're giving up in response. If they stick with 3 linebackers, flex Vereen out wide and have him run some intermediate/deep routes, while Gronk chips a DE then releases and makes himself available as a safety valve. If they go to a nickel base, just run Vereen behind Gronk.

The good news is that Carolina has one of the worst receiving corps in the league. Smith is still good, but he's being asked to do too much (calling it right now, he'll have 2 TDs if Ryan or Arrington are on him for any considerable amount of time, which is what I'm afraid will happen). LaFell and Ginn are nothing to write home about. Newton terrifies me, though; the guy's a beast.

The Pats probably won't be able to run against the Panthers' base defense, and Cannon's going to have to show up against their pass rush. I'm really interested to see how Gronk vs. Kuechly pans out, because they're both just about the best at what they do. At the risk of dramatically oversimplifying things, I think that whoever wins that matchup will win the game for their team. That's also why I'd love to see Vereen back on the field for this game; if Kuechly is mostly worried about Gronk, then they'll have basically no way of handling Vereen.

Best shot for the offense will be to just put Gronk and Vereen on the field and then attack the defense based on what they're giving up in response. If they stick with 3 linebackers, flex Vereen out wide and have him run some intermediate/deep routes, while Gronk chips a DE then releases and makes himself available as a safety valve. If they go to a nickel base, just run Vereen behind Gronk.

Well Vereen will be worked in slowly...how slowly..we will see. And Gronk should 100% win that match up

Cam Newton is capable of extending plays because of over aggressive edge rushers. He might not have the arm of Roethlisberger, but he can run, which gives the same result.

Cam doesn't have the arm of Roethlisberger? What?

We kind of agree with this thinking. Except Newton is really immature, kind of a Vick 2.0 to saints fans. Vick use to not take the game seriously, and do the Superman kind of stuff on the field, instead of acting like a serious QB and studying.
Newton is more dangerious running, doing dump/short passes, and has no long ball. So Panthers have no deep game, and can not survive a shootout.
Though their DL is great, the DS is not good enouph to stop any elite QB's with decent recievers. We have always known that, and just pass over their heads.
The Saints OL was born because of Panthers and Bucs, brutal DL's.
We dont respect their offense much. Pretty sure NE D will keep them below 20 pts, but we do have a grudging respect for Panthers DL, and LB core, they are pretty dangerious and can change a game.

We're coming of a bye week, if anything there is no excuse to lose with two weeks to prepare for them, i don't want to hear a single excuse. I don't care how highly ranked their defense is or how well Cam is playing, We should be Favourite to win and rightfully so.

Except we're not the favorites. Most books have it at Carolina -1 1/2.

I've seen it at Carolina -2 on my book earlier this evening, although it's currently -1 1/2 at the moment. I don't expect us to be favored next week either vs DEN.

So much for the award winning "we're currently favored to win every game this year" thread. That held true for the first 3 weeks...

It will definitely be a playoff type atmosphere in CAR next Monday night. I hope that we are up for the challenge. I still think there are a lot of unknowns about our team even through 9 games on both sides of the ball, but I do think that 12-4 is reasonable if we can split the next two games.

that goon is a troll, Supa...probably the Senile Gumpster 3 from J.I.

Patriots are 1-2 on the road this year...and we aren't the Falcons

If you bet against BB after a bye in a big primetime game against a young team like this idk what to tell you. A banged up falcons team with offensive line issues and a non existent running game hung around against Carolina on the road. That should tell you something right there. Don't be fooled by the SF win, SF is the worst team throwing the ball and even worse without VD.

If you bet against BB after a bye in a big primetime game against a young team like this idk what to tell you. A banged up falcons team with offensive line issues and a non existent running game hung around against Carolina on the road. That should tell you something right there. Don't be fooled by the SF win, SF is the worst team throwing the ball and even worse without VD.

I agree on some levels. I don't think that we should be "scared" of any team, but there is obvious reason to think that there may be a very tough challenge ahead on the road vs a hot team, with a great front seven, in a playoff type atmosphere in primetime. It should be a good test for our team.

For the record, I would never bet against Belichick, although I have taken the points in some games before. I'd never bet against hit straight up in any scenario though.

We kind of agree with this thinking. Except Newton is really immature, kind of a Vick 2.0 to saints fans. Vick use to not take the game seriously, and do the Superman kind of stuff on the field, instead of acting like a serious QB and studying.
Newton is more dangerious running, doing dump/short passes, and has no long ball. So Panthers have no deep game, and can not survive a shootout.
Though their DL is great, the DS is not good enouph to stop any elite QB's with decent recievers. We have always known that, and just pass over their heads.
The Saints OL was born because of Panthers and Bucs, brutal DL's.
We dont respect their offense much. Pretty sure NE D will keep them below 20 pts, but we do have a grudging respect for Panthers DL, and LB core, they are pretty dangerious and can change a game.

Newton has no deep ball?

You do realize Newton was one do the best deep ball passer in the NFL in both 2011 and 2012, right?

The offensive scheme has changed up some and they don't ask him to go deep as often now. He also has some bad drops when he occasionally does. He basically takes what D's give him and is one of the most accurate QBs in the entire league short this year. Bc teams give it.....he takes it. His first two years all he did was attack deep bc that was what he naturally did well

Claiming he has no deep ball pretty much ignores reality IMO. Some times you have to look at a stat sheet and then watch games to figure out why certain things are what they are

Would tell me it was a division game....

This isn't a Patriot squad of years past. That isn't a slam. As long as Brady is there you guys can beat anyone. But you guys are respected, you aren't scary anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe