PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Panthers scare me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are the only ones left from the Super Bowl 38 teams Brady, Jordan Gross, and Steve Smith? Trying to think of others.

So you just fell on this revelation - run the ball, control the clock and keep Brady off the field? That has been the blueprint against the Pats and every good passing team since Brady has been in the league and before. It is one thing to know what needs to be done, and another to do it.

Duly noted in your concerns, and prediction of failure on the line. I expect you will return and acknowledge your lack of confidence in your team if this game results in a win for the Pats. Happy to do the same if BB cannot come up with a plan to address these issues, to your shock and amazement.

It has nothing to do with stopping brady:rolleyes: I don't think this defense can stop the run with it's 31st rank run d.

If the panthers are dumb enough to pass it 30+ times then the patriots will crush them.

The steelers are just awful. I watched that game and I was shocked to see that it took you as long as you did to close that game out.

Welcome to the board, JASE.

This is a straight up football question.

I did not see the Panthers-Niners game nor have I seen any of the other games in the impressive Panthers' streak leading up to the Patriots game. What was the difference between the way the 49ers defense played the Panthers that resulted in a 10-9 score and the four previous games when the Panthers rolled over their opponents scoring more than 30 points per game?

Is the Pats game going to be a shootout or a grinder like the Niners game?

Our biggest strengths on offense:

1. Cam. He's really started to reach a comfort level making the tough throws. He seems to live for 3rd downs where he passes for over 10 yards per attempt and has a league-leading quarterback rating on that down. The result has been tons of 10+ play drives and gobbling up clock. He runs on designed runs less now than ever. Our lone touchdown yesterday was a counter play where we used cam as a decoy in a triple-option formation.

2. Mike Tolbert. He gets the tough yards on short yardage situations like you'd expect, but you wouldn't expect the way he can catch the ball and change directions. And then once he runs over you, like commentators like to say, 'it's like trying to tackle a fire hydrant'.

Weaknesses on offense:

1. Offensive line. You'd never know it, but our traditional running game from an I formation/single back has been mediocre at best. We've been decimated at guard. After numerous injuries, we brought back Travelle Wharton off the street and he's been serviceable. We converted a backup DT to right guard in Nate Chandler. And another injury at RG forced us to convert Sione Fua, a DT that we cut earlier in the year to guard to be his backup.

Byron Bell at right tackle is an undrafted guy that has started for us for a couple of years, but he's been really weak against good edge rushers. (gave up 4 sacks to Mario Williams)

2. Receivers. Steve Smith is basically a 5'-9" possession receiver now. He's not going to take the top off any defense. The crew behind him all have incomplete developments as receivers to say the least. All of them have had a big problem with drops this year at times, including Smith.

Biggest strength on Defense:

1. Defensive Tackles: Under rivera, this has been a weakness. But the rotation of our rookies Lotulelei and Short have made our interior line play 10 times better than before. Quarterbacks are finding that they're not getting a good pocket to step up into. Opposing interior linemen can't get to the second level, and as a result our linebackers can run free.

2. Linebackers: aided by the DTs in front of them, they are flying around to the football. And in passing, there may not be any better linebackers in coverage than Kuechly and Davis.

Biggest weakness on defense:

1. Corners: Another area that was roiled by injury, this crew that is lacking in overall talent has come together and performed admirably. However, they lack the top end speed to cover deep shots. If brady can get some time, there is big play potential in this secondary. Our safeties are aggressive and can be caught out of position when it comes time for them to provide help over the top.

2. Zone defense: Like I said, we play a lot of zone. An experienced QB like Brady should be able to move the ball if he knows where to find the soft spots. Often times we leave Kuechly alone to cover the middle of the field, and he can't always shut down the elite tight ends up the seam.

Special teams may play a role. They've been playing great for the most part. Kick and punt coverage has been good. Gano takes kickoffs out of the end zone 3/4s of the time. Ted Ginn and our punter, Nortman, have flipped the field position game numerous times. The thing that keeps happening to us, though, is having a punt hit one of our punt return blockers for a muff. I think we've lost 3 of those this year.

Good stuff. I will try to offer a similar Pats summary. Others please critique where necessary.

Offense:

Passing:

Tom Brady. His statistics have been down this year for a number of reasons. He had huge changes in the roster to deal with (losses of Wes Welker, Aaron Hernandez, and Danny Woodhead). Gronkowski was gone for most of the year, and he just played his third game of the year after back and arm surgeries. Danny Amendola had one good game, then went injured for much of the season, also just returning. Shane Vereen, Woodhead's successor, has been gone much of the year, and may be back. The last game against the Steelers was really the first time all his personnel were present (except for Vereen). Julian Edelman was leaned on heavily by Brady when Gronk and Amendola were out, and now leads the team with 49 catches (in his 4 prior years with the Pats, he had a total of 69 receptions).

Aaron Dobson and Kenbrel Thompkins, rookie receivers, have shown the ability to separate and promise, but are rookies with drops, miscues, etc. Dobson seems to have taken the lead over Thompkins, but Thompkins seemed to have the edge earlier in the year. Both have shown improvement and increased comfort with the offense as the season progressed.

For Brady individually, he has held the ball longer than usual and been sacked a lot more. He has made some uncharacteristically bad throws and bad decisions (a few heaves that resulted in interceptions you would never have seen, and some pick 6's he would typically not throw). There have been some stinkers of offensive performances at a career level, 118 passing yards in the game against the Dolphins for example. Really, last game was the first game he really seemed comfortable and much like he was last season.

Running Game:

Stevan Ridley is the most explosive running back. Fans here continue to debate why he doesn't get the ball more often. LeGarrette Blount you know from his days at Tampa, and is the second must used back as well as returning kickoffs. Brandon Bolden is a hard straight ahead runner who can catch the ball. Shane Vereen is used as well, has practiced as a wideout.

Offensive line:

There have been some legitimate failures in the line that nobody expected to see. Some of the sacks are simply holding the ball too long, others have been unblocked defensive linemen right up the middle after failed blocking assignments and pickups. The Pats recently lost their starting right tackle, Sebastian Vollmer, but his absence doesn't explain the line play. Gronkowski plays a big role in run blocking, and he should continue to help as he comes back into form.

Defense:

It is tough to see what the defense is on a given week due to the loss of Wilfork, Kelly, Mayo and recently Talib. This defense has shown itself to be very good early on, but each loss causes shuffling and the addition of rookies learning the game and making mistakes.

Defensive line:

Both Vince Wilfork and Tommy Kelly are huge for the defense (literally and figuratively), and both are gone. Two rookies, Chris Jones and Joe Vellano have stepped in, and have actually made some plays against the run and pass - but they are not monstrously big and can be blocked out of plays. They are not the same, and seemed to have a tough time with the run so the Pats added Isaac Sopoaga to shore the line. It is tough to tell how much he adds at this point to the run defense as he has not been with the Pats for very long. Chandler Jones is coming into his own, and can get after the QB. Rob Ninkovich is a smart athlete who knows how to make plays and finds the ball. Andre Carter just returned to the Pats after a previously successful season in 2011.

Linebackers:

Jerod Mayo has been a huge part of the defense, and is on IR. Brandon Spikes is the run stopper, and lacks quickness for real pass defense. Dont'a Hightower is a gifted athlete with strength and speed who has showed promise and the ability to make plays. Dane Fletcher has had injury issues, but also shows promise. Jamie Collins is a second round pick with physical ability but he has only recently started to see the field.

Defensive backs:

Devin McCourty is playing at an all pro level at safety, showing the ability to tackle, defense passes and lead on the field. Aquib Talib, when healthy and on the field, was phenomenal in coverage and showed he was capable of single-handedly eliminating the best pass catcher - TE or WR. His status is unknown. Alonzo Dennard has shown good coverage skills. Kyle Arrington worked his way up the roster, can get torched at times, but is smart and has a nose for the ball with his INTs. Logan Ryan is a rookie, has made his rookie mistakes but also has flashed coverage and ball-hawking skills. Steve Gregory has performed well as safety, with good tackling abilities and offering a good veteran presence, but broke his thumb. The rest have not really put in strong showings, so I would strain to say more than I tend not to celebrate when they are on the field because bad things tend to happy when they see playing time.

Welcome to the board, JASE.

This is a straight up football question.

I did not see the Panthers-Niners game nor have I seen any of the other games in the impressive Panthers' streak leading up to the Patriots game. What was the difference between the way the 49ers defense played the Panthers that resulted in a 10-9 score and the four previous games when the Panthers rolled over their opponents scoring more than 30 points per game?

The 49ers have a pretty good defense to match up with the panthers' offense. 3-4, good linebackers, and a secondary good enough to play 1 on 1 with the receivers with everyone else watching the quarterback.

To me, this is a game that could go either way as far as high scoring/low scoring. I think it will depend on who takes the early lead.

If the panthers take an early lead, I think the pats are going to be less committed to the run and the scores may climb into the 20s and 30s.

If the pats take the early lead, I think both teams are going to try to sit on the ball.

the commutative property of football does not exist, lol :bricks:

Edit: we crushed the vikings who crushed the steelers ;)

are the vikings still considered an NFL team?

Edit: we crushed the vikings who crushed the steelers ;)

Really? A 7 point win which the steelers were on the minnesota 6 yard line going in for the tie when roethlisberger got strip sacked is crushing a team?

oh, come now. Sure you jest. :flypig:

The steelers are just awful. I watched that game and I was shocked to see that it took you as long as you did to close that game out.

And i'm shocked that your offense scored 10 point and somehow won a football game.

look, the steeler comment wasn't anything personal. I just know how bad the steelers have looked this year, and I know that the pats couldn't have been playing their best ball in the first half of that game.

I'm done talking about it, move on plz. Thanks.

Love,

Your favorite panther fan Jase

We're coming of a bye week, if anything there is no excuse to lose with two weeks to prepare for them, i don't want to hear a single excuse. I don't care how highly ranked their defense is or how well Cam is playing, We should be Favourite to win and rightfully so.

Mike Reiss ‏@MikeReiss 2h
Patriots OC Josh McDaniels notes Panthers do a nice job getting pressure with standard 4-man rush. Physical, with depth & talent up front.
Reply Retweet Favorite More Collapse

Early impressions on Panthers after watching their win over 49ers: Good situational defense (3rd down/red zone). Strength of D is front 7.

Panthers rotate in four big-bodied DTs & they are tough to move. Quick, disruptive DEs and aggressive LBs that tackle well (Kuechly).

Projecting ahead, could envision Patriots exploring possibiity of more empty sets to test Panthers' secondary (e.g. Vikings 2006 MNF game).

Projecting ahead, would envision defensive plan that stresses keeping Newton in pocket (similar to Roethlisberger last week).

Also, on defense, this is the type of game where acquisition of NT Isaac Sopoaga could show up as key. Probably more of a big base D game.
From someone who watched the panthers more than i do...

Projecting ahead, could envision Patriots exploring possibiity of more empty sets to test Panthers' secondary (e.g. Vikings 2006 MNF game).
From someone who watched the panthers more than i do...

Not going to lie, the thought of this one scares me a little.

I am surprised no one has posted pic yet of the famous "'its a trap" pic for the 'Trap Game' weekend.

...this game can certainly be considered a trap game with Denver on the schedule the following week and with a potential bye week berth tiebreaker on the line.

The Panthers defense is good and worrysome,but the players better not get involved in looking at Manning vs. Brady Denver vs. NE too early.

Playing an away game at a team with a winning record hardly sounds like a trap game to me...

Playing an away game at a team with a winning record hardly sounds like a trap game to me...

Yeah, the Panthers game is the complete opposite of a trap game. The Patriots will put extra time into prep with the bye week.

This will be the toughest defense that Brady and Friends deal with for the rest of the season. We will see how much progress everyone has made since the Cincinnati game.

I said Ninko was very important against the Steelers; containing Roethlisberger. That goes for Newton too. Don't let him break contain. The Panthers don't have a great offense. Getting too aggressive will only help them. Luckily, Ninkovich is really great at keeping the QB stuck in a consistently tightening spot.

Not going to lie, the thought of this one scares me a little.

Well..our oline has been suspect and if panthers play man , this maybe harder for the pats. Again comes down to our WR getting open quickly. If pats can find a middle of the field passing game ,they can move the ball well I think.
Anyhow this is a different offense than what the panthers faced last week with a lot more variations,no huddle etc so should be interesting.

Having moved done to NC a year and a half ago, I get to watch all the Panthers game and they've become a second team to (weakly) support (I had to keep reminding myself against SF that I was rooting for the Panthers :) ). So I've seen all their games for the past season and a half.

I was never sold on Cam Newton - but he's looked good most of this year, sometimes very good. That being said, he played awful against the 49ers. A lot of passes way over receivers heads (worse than watching TB early this year). He also stares down receivers. His mechanics - even when they are good - are bad. :) That being said, he can certainly make throws. Cam hardly ran at all during the 49ers game and, if my memory serves me correctly, hasn't been running as much this year as last. But clearly this is a threat that can't be ignored.

Steve Smith isn't the receiver he used to be but is solid. Ted Ginn is dynamite on returns and adequate as a receiver - he is dangerous whenever straight line speed is a factor as he'll run away from anyone. Apart from that, I wouldn't worry much about him as a receiver. The Patriots are starting to develop issues with stopping the run and so I expect the Panthers will have some success in that area as they're pretty good there.

Yeah, the Panthers game is the complete opposite of a trap game. The Patriots will put extra time into prep with the bye week.

This will be the toughest defense that Brady and Friends deal with for the rest of the season. We will see how much progress everyone has made since the Cincinnati game.

I said Ninko was very important against the Steelers; containing Roethlisberger. That goes for Newton too. Don't let him break contain. The Panthers don't have a great offense. Getting too aggressive will only help them. Luckily, Ninkovich is really great at keeping the QB stuck in a consistently tightening spot.
I think its little different with roethlisberger. He runs around to throw the ball. Not sure how good newton is throwing on the run. They wouldnt mind him throwing outside the pocket I think but dont want him to run. Very much like they tried with geno smith. had a couple of significant breakdowns in that game.

We'll see a lot of the no-huddle.

not me....need to prove they can beat a good team....SF is a ok team..but nothing like last year

The 49ers is a good team. They only lost 3 games out of 9 as of now. Last season the 49ers lost only 2 games at this point in the season. They finished last season with 11 wins, 4 losses, and 1 tie game prior to making it to the playoffs and winning. Then going to the championship game and winning. Then lost to the Ravens. The 49ers have proven to be a good team this season. However, I am holding off judgement till the end of the season before I deem the 49ers a great team like last season or not great like last season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing