PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Our SEVEN defensive linemen include Burgess

Status
Not open for further replies.
when you research you will see only a handful AT BEST of rookies that are cut and don't make it through to the practice squad and even fewer that are plucked off someones practice squad.
A bit misleading. most of the players dont' get picked because they are exactly as you say: Not NFL ready.

That doesn't mean that every late round pick is not NFL ready, though. There are lots of 6th and 7th round picks and UDFAs that ARE NFL ready, and who would be snapped up if cut.

IIRC, about two guys we cut every year get claimed, with one year being about 4. It isn't much, but it is still a loss of a player or two a year deemed NFL quality.

You are looking at it backwards. Rather than saying most of the guys we don't care about aren't picked, consider that every one who is picked we did care about (or ought to have).

Useless time waster, I know, tryng to figure who will be picked up and who won't be, but remember that the good guys will be snagged, and it doesn't matter to me if 10 practice squad guys make it to the practice squad if the one guy we should not have tried to slip goes to another team.

A bit misleading. most of the players dont' get picked because they are exactly as you say: Not NFL ready.

That doesn't mean that every late round pick is not NFL ready, though. There are lots of 6th and 7th round picks and UDFAs that ARE NFL ready, and who would be snapped up if cut.

IIRC, about two guys we cut every year get claimed, with one year being about 4. It isn't much, but it is still a loss of a player or two a year deemed NFL quality.

You are looking at it backwards. Rather than saying most of the guys we don't care about aren't picked, consider that every one who is picked we did care about (or ought to have).

Useless time waster, I know, tryng to figure who will be picked up and who won't be, but remember that the good guys will be snagged, and it doesn't matter to me if 10 practice squad guys make it to the practice squad if the one guy we should not have tried to slip goes to another team.

I think your memory is inaccurate about 2-4 of our rookie cuts getting signed to an active roster before going to the practice squad. Most years that would be a high number for the entire NFL. It has happened, league wide a little more often lately, but 4-5 years or so ago, there was like 0-2 in the entire league each year. I would venture that maybe 5 rookies in the entire NFL will be cut and picked up by another team before clearing to the practice squad.
The biggest factor (IMO) is the other teams have absolutely no clue whether that guy is NFL ready, didn't have him in camp, don't know if he can play or even learn their system, and would have to cut a guy who spent all of camp with them and had a good enough camp to make the team.
It just really doesnt happen, even though by the posts on this board you would expect our rookie cuts to walk into a bigging war.

By the way if the guy isnt good enough to contribute, what are you losing? Why is it wrong to cut a guy that could make another team but can't make ours?
If he isn't one of the best 53, its kinda nuts to cut someone who is because maybe someday this guy will be good enough, and we are horrifed that could be on another team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes