PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Our next three games

Status
Not open for further replies.
mgteich said:
bb will play one game at a time and bb will do the best for the team. I expect that he will do exactly as you say. Getting healthy and staying healthy is much more important than any game until the playoffs (certainly including this game and the Indy game), with the possible exception of the jets game (depending on both our records in the next two weeks). It is fine for people here to worry about whether we will be 14-2 or 13-3; bb doesn't think that way.

And for those must look at the whole season at once, we need to win the games against teams with losing records and beat the jets! That will make us 12-4, even if we lose Minny, the Colts and Chicago. Trade a win against one of the strong teams for one misstep against a weak team and we are still 12-4. I think the 11-5 forecast by Reiss (and many of us here) is still a reasonable one, although much better is of course still possible.

Agreed. BB is almost inhumanly consistent about certain mantras. One of them is 'playing one game at a time'. A broken record is like the AP news wire compared to BB when it comes to thoughts beyond this week's opponent.

Regarding "those who must look at the whole season at once", like me, I also completely agree. I would reiterate and reiterate this part of your post, "beat the jets!". Even if we lose to Minn and Indy, a win against the Jets gives us a 2 game margin (even if the worst case scenario plays out and the Jets run the table). A 2 game margin starting week 10 ain't nothin to sneeze at. beat the jets! beat the jets! .............

captain stone said:
Once again, the early bye has done the Pats no favors at all. It's as if the League refuses to give them even a small scheduling advantage, ever.

I don't think the bye was all that early. It'd be nice to have it in a week or two, but week 6 isn't bad.

As of today, I would keep home, Sey,Ty,Geno,Neal,Graham,Kaczur, and Horst.
Go into the game and try to win it with the other players. If we don't win, then we will be in better shape for the Colts and Jest. If we do win, then that's great!

PATSNUTme said:
As of today, I would keep home, Sey,Ty,Geno,Neal,Graham,Kaczur, and Horst.
Go into the game and try to win it with the other players. If we don't win, then we will be in better shape for the Colts and Jest. If we do win, then that's great!

I can perfectly understand where you're coming from. As ever only BB and the players really know how banged up those guys are.

Anyone whose condition is is likely to be seriously impaired by playing this weekend should sit it out. That's why there are 53 guys on the roster. And I have a lot of faith in pretty much all of them. We have shown time and again we can win big games with replacements.

Nothing will be won in Minnesota this weekend, bar one game. But there's a lot to lose there.

Not to be a doodoo-bag, but I'm firmly in the one game-at-a-time camp.

I think that if you judge by the 14-2 seasons there is no 'non-vital' game on the schedule. Especially when you consider that the playoffs are not in heavy contention and the only regular season prize left that's worth fighting for is homefield advantage.

This team knows that if they just do what they're supposed to that they'll make the playoffs. But they also know that if they go above and beyond that homefield is within reach.

I say that every game is going to be vital if the Pats want to stay ahead of the Donkos and Dolts.

From listening to BB in press conferences I think in his mind it's the guy
is good to go or not.

As for Vikes game not being important I disagree but this may be because
I don't understand how a team wins the division.

I thought if say PATs had 14 wins and all other teams in the division had
less than 14 wins then PATs win the division. It doesn't matter where the
wins come from NFC or AFC.
If there is a tie then there are rules for breaking ties. Is this wrong?

If the above is right .. how is the Vikes game not important with a
JETs team sitting with one less win that the PATs and an easy schedule
ahead of them for the most part?

I'd also like to see our more banged up boys get a rest from this game. Give our depth a good game (we'll probably see more of Hill) and still come out with the win!

If you believe that the jets game is as important as the Minny game for the purposes of winning the division, then you indeed do not understand. If you believe that that the dolts game is as important as the Minny game for the purposes of AFCE playoff seeding, then indeed you do not understand.

Of course every game counts! However some count more than others. And yes, that fact is relevant when the records are the same. In any case, beating our only contender for the division title must be of paramount importance. That game definitely counts double.

JR4 said:
From listening to BB in press conferences I think in his mind it's the guy
is good to go or not.

As for Vikes game not being important I disagree but this may be because
I don't understand how a team wins the division.

I thought if say PATs had 14 wins and all other teams in the division had
less than 14 wins then PATs win the division. It doesn't matter where the
wins come from NFC or AFC.
If there is a tie then there are rules for breaking ties. Is this wrong?

If the above is right .. how is the Vikes game not important with a
JETs team sitting with one less win that the PATs and an easy schedule
ahead of them for the most part?

mgteich said:
If you believe that the jets game is as important as the Minny game for the purposes of winning the division, then you indeed do not understand. If you believe that that the dolts game is as important as the Minny game for the purposes of AFCE playoff seeding, then indeed you do not understand.

Of course every game counts! However some count more than others. And yes, that fact is relevant when the records are the same. In any case, beating our only contender for the division title must be of paramount importance. That game definitely counts double.

Interesting logic. Game Importance is situational. Today .. this week ... the
most important game .. without knowing the future ... which I do not think
you nor one else knows .... is the Vikes game.

Why? because the Vikes game COULD mean the difference of getting into
the playoffs or not. You've got to think of that way and I beleive BB does.
Without knowing the future or without a lock situation it is the
most important game of the season at this point. Is that really hard to see?

There are many other situations but ... the most important game is the
NEXT game until the PATs have mathematically won the division.
Then the NEXT game may be the most important until the PATs secured
a bye in the playoffs. Then the NEXT game may be the most impotant until PATs have secured the TOP seed.

Bottom line the NEXT game is Always the most Important game until
mathematically PATs have secured every advantage in the playoffs or it is
no longer possible to obtain any additional advantages in the playoffs.

Last edited:
One-game-at-a-time...it really is that simple. Is anybody going to think this game wasn't "important" if the 13-3 Patriots are on the road for the AFC Championship game, whereas the 14-2 Patriots would have hosted it? What if the 11-5 Patriots open the playoffs on Wild Card weekend, whereas the 12-4 Patriots would have opened in the Divisional Round? That first round bye is of the UTMOST importance (even more so than homefield throughout -- I think away teams are over .500 in the Conference Championships), and every game, be it Conference/Division or not, is crucial.

I, for one, believe the Vikings are way overrated. They have mood swings as a team. One day they'll play like absolute crap and not even look like they care, the next day, they'll look almost unstoppable. However, MNF is on a national stage so we can expect their A-game to come out. I still see us escaping with a win.

Indy is going to be a test which could really go either way for us. Our D has been looking pretty stout as of late and they could just clamp down on Manning like the way they always have. However, we ARE marred with injuries and our best D-lineman can and probably will be out. Plus, again, this game is on a national stage. I can't really see a win or a loss on this one. It depends soley on how our secondary does against Manning and Harrison.

The Jets blow. Period. Shouldn't be too hard for us to get in Pennington's face and force some bad throws. The run really isn't a threat either. Definite win there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes