PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Our 1st playoff game - Sat night or Sun afternoon??

Status
Not open for further replies.

theKrafty1tar

On the Roster
Reaction score
We get the bye on the wildcard weekend.

Do we play our 1st game Saturday night the following week or Sunday afternoon.?

We are going to be the #1 seed, so do we get to pick?

I think the last time we were the #1 seed we played Sat night.

If we play Sat night, the team we play has 1 less day of rest because they played the previous week, while we had the bye.. which would probably be an advantage...

basically I'm asking, do we get to pick?

If we play Sat night, the team we play has 1 less day of rest because they played the previous week, while we had the bye.. which would probably be an advantage...

Not up to us. Up to the networks. We also had the Sat. Night game in 01. I would think CBS wants the night game. Let Fox have Dallas at 4p on Sunday. Would make Indy/Pitt early game Sunday. NFC game at GB the 4p game on Saturday. Works for me.

Saturday is probably the better day for the teams with the bye. It's one less day, but with a bye that doesn't really matter. But it can make a difference for the team you are playing against. Plus it allows you an extra day of rest heading into the following weekend's game.

Saturday is probably the better day for the teams with the bye. It's one less day, but with a bye that doesn't really matter. But it can make a difference for the team you are playing against. Plus it allows you an extra day of rest heading into the following weekend's game.
Makes sense to me. Pats will have an extra day anyway, because their last game is on Saturday.

That said, the one more day of rest the Steelers had last week didn't help them, and the short week we had didn't hurt us.

I think perhaps, however the schedule works out, it is up to the better team to ... play better than the other team.

I believe each year whichever network has the early conference championship game (the game that starts at 1:00), and this year CBS has it, gets the primetime slot on Saturday night for the divisional round. CBS stills gets to choose which divisional game it wants to showcase in primetime and by making that decision the other AFC divisional game is set to air the following Sunday early afternoon. Of course they'll pick whoever vs. Patriots for Saturday night because the nation is obsessed with us.

I would love to have it be the Saturday night game.

First of all, the team were playing might have the short week before playing us. (50/50 chance on that team being the Saturday or Sunday game)

Second of all, if we played Saturday we would have the extra day to prep for the AFCCG @ home.

IT WILL DEFINITELY BE THE NIGHT GAME. The Patriots are breaking every record for ratings. The NFL (not to mention their advertisers) will certainly want them in prime-time. Book it.

Heh, we’ll be playing two back to back Saturday night games then most likely.

Love Saturday night games, woop. That Sunday wait would feel long.

I think Bob Kraft has more to do with this than the networks. Look for the Patriots to play on Saturday night, and he'll likely be praying for freezing cold and/or snow.

Bob G

Definately the night game on Saturday...Even before this year, we played Saturday night in Denver in 2005, Saturday night against Tennessee in 2003, and Oakland in 2001...The Oakland game, because of snow in the northeast, did an enormous rating...The snow games are kind of cool to watch...That coupled w/ the Pats breaking ratings records means its 2-5 to be the Saturday night game.

I think Bob Kraft has more to do with this than the networks. Look for the Patriots to play on Saturday night, and he'll likely be praying for freezing cold and/or snow.

Bob G

kraft has no say at all in this one, absolutely zippo... we will be prime time (night) for sure... this is 110% up to the networks... the pats have been the biggest draw in history all year long... we will be one of the two night games, guaranteed.... there has never been a more certain night game in history.

Last edited:
Definately the night game on Saturday...Even before this year, we played Saturday night in Denver in 2005, Saturday night against Tennessee in 2003, and Oakland in 2001...The Oakland game, because of snow in the northeast, did an enormous rating...The snow games are kind of cool to watch...That coupled w/ the Pats breaking ratings records means its 2-5 to be the Saturday night game.

i dont think the snow actually increased viewers... it was more likely the fact that oakland has a huge fan base nationwide.

i dont think the snow actually increased viewers... it was more likely the fact that oakland has a huge fan base nationwide.

Well, it was capturing to watch because of the snow, and also so many people couldn't (or wouldn't) leave their houses because of all the snow, so they watched tv.

I pray it's on Saturday because I'll be flying during the Sunday night game! Sunday day would be OK, but I don't think that will happen. So... anytime except for Sunday night, please.

CBS this yr has the 800 game, fox had it last yr.. so plan on Sat Jan 12th 800pm at Foxboro, against the Chargers..

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST