PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: thinking of switching to Direct TV for NFL Sunday Ticket (comments appreciated)

Status
Not open for further replies.
5 Rings for Brady!! said:
Godef: If you live in the local Pats viewing area, Sunday Ticket will not show any of your Pats games due to black-out policy. Also, the local reporters are never broadcast on Sunday Ticket. They have national media meatheads, many of whom really like the Colts. Not many of whom really care about the Pats.

The TV broadcasters are the same for everyone.

Channel 4 or 25 in the Boston market carry the Pats games on Directv. So don't tell people they won't get the Pats games on Directv.

Pats in Eagles:

Now this I need to know about. Are you saying that in VA, I can get local Boston channels with the Pats games NOT being blacked out? Or will the Pats games be blacked out?

DeanPatsFan said:
My point is, if you want HD content, go with Dish. They carry 4 times the HD content DTV does, and are constantly adding to their lineup. DTV has grown VERY stale.

If you're willing to bend over and grab your ankles for Sunday Ticket then go ahead. I had it for 8 years but told DTV to stick up their @ss when they decided to charge an extra 100 dollars to see games in HD when I was already a subscriber to their HD package. And I've managed to survive without it.

I like DishNet. also, but it does no good for anyone outside of New England who want to watch the Pats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pats in Eagles:

Now this I need to know about. Are you saying that in VA, I can get local Boston channels with the Pats games NOT being blacked out? Or will the Pats games be blacked out?

No, what I am saying is that, whatever your local channel is showing you will be blacked out on the channels in the 700 range, but shown on your local channel n Directv.

I said that the Sunday Ticket would black out local games if you are in the Boston area, and this is correct. The regular local stations you mention are not the Sunday Ticket. Further, the local channel 4 you mention is not going to carry the national media, that would be on the Sunday Ticket.

Last edited:
I said that the Sunday Ticket would black out local games in the Boston area, and this is correct. The regular local stations you mention are not the Sunday Ticket. Further, the local channel 4 you mention is not going to carry the national media, that would be on the Sunday Ticket.

Wrong the announcers for the NFL are national. A person watching a Pats game in Boston gets the same annoucers as someone watching the same game in Honolulu.

Sorry I must of misunderstood you I thought you were saying that someone with Directv would not get any pats games in the Boston market.

thanks for all the responses guys

I really want the NFL Sunday Ticket because I am an NFL junkie. I realize that I live in the Boston area and thus Sunday Ticket won't help me any with watching the Pats games. I am a hardcore junkie. I have an obsession with the Pats, but I am also a fan of the Pack and Falcons. With the Sunday Ticket and DVR I plan to record all the Pack and Falcons games along with the Pats games. I like to get all the great plays from each game and then create one big highlight tape. I know, I know, I need help.

I suppose that does bring up an interesting issue. Would I be able to record two games on one tv with Sunday Ticket and a DVR??

If not, I guess I would just have to devote three of my tv's to recording on gamedays.

THe Pack and Falcons did not have great years last year so they won't be on tv too much this year, which why I'm thinking NFL Sunday Ticket is a necessity.

I can imagine the rest of you fantasy football players would love sunday ticket to watch your fantasy stars even if they are on a bad team or matchup.

As soemone mentioned earlier, I would love to be able to just pick the other games I watch when the Pats are on primetime or have a bye week.

This was what Godef said:

Beware: it's impossible to listen to Gil and Gino during live broadcasts because there is a several second delay, at least on local TV. I don't get Sunday Ticket, so that may be another story.[/QUOTE]

I had Sunday Ticket for years and I also have local VA television, and never once has Gil and Gino come on. Is he talking about a radio broadcast being listened to while watching TV?

brdmaverick said:
I suppose that does bring up an interesting issue. Would I be able to record two games on one tv with Sunday Ticket and a DVR??

Yes you can...........

You can record two games at once with the Direct TV dvr. You can do so as long as you can get input from two coaxial cables connected to the satellite dish. If you are able to only have one coaxial cable input, you will only be able to record one progam at a time. Depending on how difficult it is to run another cable, you might have a problem with this. I have two TIVO boxes, I was able to do two coaxial cables with one and not the other.

cblesz said:
Direct TV sucks. I live in Los Angeles and the only reason I have Direct TV is for Sunday ticket to watch the Pats. When I got an HDTV, I got the games in HD for 2 weeks. Then, Direct TV decides they want to charge extra for NFL games in HD. So, in addition to the ridiculous cost of Sunday ticket, if you want to watch games in HD, you need to pay a lot more.

Direct TV nickels and dimes you to death. There is a monthly fee for HD, for local channels, for each receiver and on and on and on. As soon as their exclusive contract is up with the NFL and I can get the Pats on cable out here, I am done with Direct TV.

A few things.
1) Direct TV's exclusive contract will continue through 2011 at the very least.

2) The price of the NFL Direct Ticket is certainly cheaper than you going to the bar and drinking beers during the games. Its also cheaper than going to the games themselves when you consider the cost of parking, food and time to get to the game. So, I wouldn't say that the price is ridiculous.

3) Every place changes you extra for HD right now. However, they won't be able to do that soon, once the HD feeds are mandatory.

4) Cable companies charge you more for HD as well. Not sure why you think it is any different. Also, unless something has changed, the Cable companies still transmit much of their programming in analog and not digital.

DTV ST Fan

I've had DTV since the 2003 season. I wish I had installed it sooner. Watching the games in the comfort of your own living room is great.

I spent years watching the Pats whenever they were on, which was not very often back in the late 80's and early 90's. Competing with Eagles fans in college for the lone TV. Not good times.

Then while living in PA, driving 40-minutes to one of the few bars that had all or most of the games on. Often watching the Pats on a small TV in the back with a fuzzy picture and no sound. Putting up with the hordes of drunk obnoxious Steelers & Eagles fans.

Now every corner pub has the games but when you factor in beers, food, more beers and "hey lets stay out and watch the 8pm game", with DTV ST you will come out ahead.

I do not pay for the superfan or hd package. Too much $$ imo. You need to pay for the new box, new dish, new tv, hd fee plus the ST hd fee. I simply do not have the cash for that right now. If I did I would be hard pressed to spend it on that.

As far as the weather is concerned only Extreme hail has knocked the signal out. And then only for a short while.

Can you get the games over the air in HD? That may be your best bet if you are looking for the best picture.

Last edited:
DaBruinz said:
A few things.
1) Direct TV's exclusive contract will continue through 2011 at the very least.

2) The price of the NFL Direct Ticket is certainly cheaper than you going to the bar and drinking beers during the games. Its also cheaper than going to the games themselves when you consider the cost of parking, food and time to get to the game. So, I wouldn't say that the price is ridiculous.

3) Every place changes you extra for HD right now. However, they won't be able to do that soon, once the HD feeds are mandatory.

4) Cable companies charge you more for HD as well. Not sure why you think it is any different. Also, unless something has changed, the Cable companies still transmit much of their programming in analog and not digital.

I have a big issue with the Superfan Package. Two years ago the HD games were included in the ST package. Then last year they added a few things that most people don't give a crap about and bundled them in with HD games and sold it for $99. I already pay an extra fee for the HD channels which are very few so why should I have to pay an extra $100 to see the games in HD which were once included in the package and after I already pay a monthly fee to get the HD feeds?

Other than that I love DTV and can't wait until next year when they get their new sats in operation so that they can provide an expanded level of HD channels and actually show them in true HD.

brdmaverick said:
thanks for all the responses guys

I really want the NFL Sunday Ticket because I am an NFL junkie. I realize that I live in the Boston area and thus Sunday Ticket won't help me any with watching the Pats games. I am a hardcore junkie. I have an obsession with the Pats, but I am also a fan of the Pack and Falcons. With the Sunday Ticket and DVR I plan to record all the Pack and Falcons games along with the Pats games. I like to get all the great plays from each game and then create one big highlight tape. I know, I know, I need help.

If not, I guess I would just have to devote three of my tv's to recording on gamedays.

THe Pack and Falcons did not have great years last year so they won't be on tv too much this year, which why I'm thinking NFL Sunday Ticket is a necessity.

I can imagine the rest of you fantasy football players would love sunday ticket to watch your fantasy stars even if they are on a bad team or matchup.

As soemone mentioned earlier, I would love to be able to just pick the other games I watch when the Pats are on primetime or have a bye week.
I have the basic package with local channels and NFL Sunday Ticket, plus a DVR:
- Heavy rainfall can knock out your signal, usually for only a few minutes, but you may get spotting on the screen for longer periods. I'm in lake effect snow country, no worries let it snow.
- If you get local channels off a roof antenna in the Boston area, you can watch the Pats' game and record GB and Hotlanta on the DVR - however, if you want to record the Pats you'll need to run the TV antenna through a VCR.
- I've been very satisfied with DirecTV compared to cable experience in the past. Not that much more expensive and comparable outage times. My folks have Dish and Dad hates it.
- If the dish on your condo allows DirecTV to hook you up you may save some money - don't count on it, package start-up deals should work out okay for you though - just be prepared to cancel what you don't want before they hit you for the full charge!
- My chapped backside comes when the Pats are blacked out on DirecTV for a national broadcast and they have the 4:15 start with the 1:00 game in extra innings, you lose quite a bit of the first quarter. If you paid for Sunday Ticket, you should get Sunday Ticket, none of this local blackout crap.
- DVR settings, never leave it on the standard 3 hour setting for a game, always extend it 30 minutes. With instant replay the games last longer than three hours, regularly. I forgot to change the settings on the Pittsburgh game last year before going on the road, I was lucky to catch the end of the game on a friends TV, when I got home the recording had stopped with four minutes left in the game. :mad:

If you really want to know what deals you can get and what people think check out the forums on this site.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/

brdmaverick said:
Satellite prices are cheaper, there is already a dish on my condo, so I'm thinking of switching to direct tv and getting Sunday ticket.

The only thing that concerns me is losing reception with bad weather.

I record the pats games every week and recording quality is a big thing with me.

So I guess what I'm looking for is feedback from satellite users in Massachusetts.

Have you guys had problems with your satellite. Is it worth investing in? Have you had problems with losing a signal. how often?

I've never had Direct TV but I'm curious as to what company you're considering going with that it is cheaper than cable. Cheaper than basic cable? Cheaper than basic w/ premium channels like HBO?

Every time I've been tempted to get Direct TV the costs of adding HBO to the package always keeps me away. For instance my cable bill with 7 HBO feeds is approximately half of what my Direct TV costs would be with the same channels. Plus you have to add all the fine print charges like $5 per month for the boxes in each room.

you have some really inexpensive cable then.

I believe the most popular DTV package is 42.99 and HBO by itself cost's $11. So 54 dollars is what you would pay for that. The $5 per box thing does add on. But I think the signal quality from DTV is second to none (cable companies) except for Verizon's FIOS which is only available in limited areas and I am not sure if that would fit into the cable realm.

I agree...

cblesz said:
Direct TV sucks. I live in Los Angeles and the only reason I have Direct TV is for Sunday ticket to watch the Pats. When I got an HDTV, I got the games in HD for 2 weeks. Then, Direct TV decides they want to charge extra for NFL games in HD. So, in addition to the ridiculous cost of Sunday ticket, if you want to watch games in HD, you need to pay a lot more.

Direct TV nickels and dimes you to death. There is a monthly fee for HD, for local channels, for each receiver and on and on and on. As soon as their exclusive contract is up with the NFL and I can get the Pats on cable out here, I am done with Direct TV.

It is lame how they charge for every single option/feature. Charging for HD feature is weak.

mgcolby said:
you have some really inexpensive cable then.

I believe the most popular DTV package is 42.99 and HBO by itself cost's $11. So 54 dollars is what you would pay for that. The $5 per box thing does add on. But I think the signal quality from DTV is second to none (cable companies) except for Verizon's FIOS which is only available in limited areas and I am not sure if that would fit into the cable realm.

THe DTV Total Choice package (49.95) would probably be equal to what I have now without the HBOs. The HBOs are $12. So we're already at $62. THen you add box rental for 2 rooms ($10 per month), and since I have an HD TV that's another $10 per month whereas with my cable it's free. So now we're at $82 a month. My cable is about $55, or about $30 difference per month. That isn't a lot of money but over the course of a year it adds about $360 in comparison to cable. So when people say DTV does have a little nickle and dime thing going on it sure seems they're right. Plus I'm not sure if DTV charges for local channels anymore which would probably add another $10-15 per month.

My other issue with the NFL Ticket is that part of the joy I get from going to a sports bar each week is I can watch every game at once. My wife and I enjoy TV, but I'm not sure I could get her to go for putting 5 or 6 TVs in the living room each Sunday in order to achieve the same effect.

I have HD through my cable operator and the picture quality is on par with a relative's DTV HD.

Last edited:
SoonerPatriot said:

THe DTV Total Choice package (49.95) would probably be equal to what I have now without the HBOs. The HBOs are $12. So we're already at $62. THen you add box rental for 2 rooms ($10 per month), and since I have an HD TV that's another $10 per month whereas with my cable it's free. So now we're at $82 a month. My cable is about $55, or about $30 difference per month. That isn't a lot of money but over the course of a year it adds about $360 in comparison to cable. So when people say DTV does have a little nickle and dime thing going on it sure seems they're right. Plus I'm not sure if DTV charges for local channels anymore which would probably add another $10-15 per month.

My other issue with the NFL Ticket is that part of the joy I get from going to a sports bar each week is I can watch every game at once. My wife and I enjoy TV, but I'm not sure I could get her to go for putting 5 or 6 TVs in the living room each Sunday in order to achieve the same effect.

I have HD through my cable operator and the picture quality is on par with a relative's DTV HD.

I don't doubt your HD reception is much different but I have found cable to have an overall poor image quality. I see your point, 30 bucs in this case is a decent amount of money.

I bring 5 (added 1 for this season) into the living room on Sunday's. I must say me and my son enjoy the morning ritual of setting up all the tv's and checking out what channels the games we want to watch are on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft