PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Advice for a Pennsylvanian who is thinking about NFL Sunday Ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I started this thread last year I was convinced to spend the $300 and take the deal and I NEVER regreted it,it was great.

Instead of being forced to watch Steelers games in my area (which is the equivalent of being tied up in a chair with headphones glued to your ears and forced to listen to the best of Barry Manilow for hours),I was able to catch any non-prime time game the Pats were in,even when they lost.

One thing though.....NEVER AND I MEAN NEVER fail to wheel and deal with an NFL Sunday Ticket person on the phone,with a little BS sad story of yours and a little pleasantness and politeness, you can get the Superfan for FREE which I was able to do along with $6 off a month as well and this was my very first year of trying
...all you have to do is if your little sad story does not work with one CSR, tell them you will think about it and call back to another person,tell them you are in financial difficlutly and would like to try it out and possibly for a free first time 'tryout' on the Super fan issue...it will work when you get the right person on the phone.

When I started this thread last year I was convinced to spend the $300 and take the deal and I NEVER regreted it,it was great.

Instead of being forced to watch Steelers games in my area (which is the equivalent of being tied up in a chair with headphones glued to your ears and forced to listen to the best of Barry Manilow for hours),I was able to catch any non-prime time game the Pats were in,even when they lost.

One thing though.....NEVER AND I MEAN NEVER fail to wheel and deal with an NFL Sunday Ticket person on the phone,with a little BS sad story of yours and a little pleasantness and politeness, you can get the Superfan for FREE which I was able to do along with $6 off a month as well and this was my very first year of trying
...all you have to do is if your little sad story does not work with one CSR, tell them you will think about it and call back to another person,tell them you are in financial difficlutly and would like to try it out and possibly for a free first time 'tryout' on the Super fan issue...it will work when you get the right person on the phone.

Ditto, two years ago they were running a sign-up special, sign up early and get Superfan for free. I called up and said that I get it automatically renewed every years, so do I qqalify for the free Superfan? She said, sure, and got it for free!!!!

Ditto, two years ago they were running a sign-up special, sign up early and get Superfan for free. I called up and said that I get it automatically renewed every years, so do I qqalify for the free Superfan? She said, sure, and got it for free!!!!

The weird thing was, was that I had only JOINED Directv just 3 months prior to that.

Many say that those sad stories only work on those who have fullfilled thier 2 year contract and could threaten to go to Dish Network....I was under early contract and still was able to get the deal.

Would like some advice on this.....

I just got Direct TV for my 52" Samsung LCD and am thinking about subscribing to the NFL Sunday Ticket

Direct TV has an early bird special for $20 off before July 1st so I must make my mind up soon

The price is $56.00 per month billed for 5 months (= $280 for the complete season)

Anyone from out of the Massachusettes area have it and is it really worth the cost ?

I can afford it but I wonder if the Pats will have more nationally televised afternoon games this year then usual which of course would mean I wouldnt need it since my main concern is watching the Pats games without having to watch the Steelers games every week.

Any advice? - Buy it or not?

Buy it ! It it one of the best purchases I make every year. I have the exact same TV as you and the games look incredible.

You'll find yourself watching, to root against, the Jets, Colts, Chargers, Giants, Steelers, Phins, etc. You can watch the Raiders games, since the Pats have their first round pick. I even find myself watching old Patriots like Cassel , Vrabel, Seymour, Samuel, etc, play.

I even recommend the Superfan package. You can watch (8) games at once, ( you choose which game to put the sound on ), and you can zoom and expand any particular game, if you choose. It also comes with a Red Zone channel, and allows you to view any / all games from your PC or even you iPhone !

Buy it ! It it one of the best purchases I make every year. I have the exact same TV as you and the games look incredible.

You'll find yourself watching, to root against, the Jets, Colts, Chargers, Giants, Steelers, Phins, etc. You can watch the Raiders games, since the Pats have their first round pick. I even find myself watching old Patriots like Cassel , Vrabel, Seymour, Samuel, etc, play.

I even recommend the Superfan package. You can watch (8) games at once, ( you choose which game to put the sound on ), and you can zoom and expand any particular game, if you choose. It also comes with a Red Zone channel, and allows you to view any / all games from your PC or even you iPhone !

Try reading follow up posts of a thread that is one year old before you post,this was redug

No brainer for me. I live in New York and am a long-time Sunday Ticket subscriber. These days, DirecTV even supports streaming of live games to iPhones and PCs so I can watch games anywhere, even on airplanes with wifi. Gotta love modern technology.

I think you need to buy the SuperFan add-on to get the streaming, but I just love knowing I won't have to miss a game.

Would like some advice on this.....

I just got Direct TV for my 52" Samsung LCD and am thinking about subscribing to the NFL Sunday Ticket

Direct TV has an early bird special for $20 off before July 1st so I must make my mind up soon

The price is $56.00 per month billed for 5 months (= $280 for the complete season)

Anyone from out of the Massachusettes area have it and is it really worth the cost ?

I can afford it but I wonder if the Pats will have more nationally televised afternoon games this year then usual which of course would mean I wouldnt need it since my main concern is watching the Pats games without having to watch the Steelers games every week.

Any advice? - Buy it or not?

When we moved into our house 16 years ago, I told my wife she could get anything she wanted as long as I got a satellite dish for Pats games and a basketball backboard in the driveway. Little did I know that our homeowner's association banned satellite dishes. Three years later the FCC overturned any bans on dishes and we signed up in time for the 1998 season when it was $99 for everything.
It's been great being able to watch or tape/DVR any game I miss. Is it pricey? Yeah but it's still cheaper than buying few tickets to a game and going which we do every year, either Foxboro or elsewhere. We upgraded to hiDef three years ago and the only time we lost signal was during a heavy rainstorm.
Being in Philly, it's better than suffering with the Eagles every Sunday.......

Last edited:
I don't regret getting it. The best part about it is, when the wife wants to go on vacation and you have to be there with her, you can still catch the games live on your computer/iphone etc. Woohoo!

When we moved into our house 16 years ago, I told my wife she could get anything she wanted as long as I got a satellite dish for Pats games and a basketball backboard in the driveway. Little did I know that our homeowner's association banned satellite dishes. Three years later the FCC overturned any bans on dishes and we signed up in time for the 1998 season when it was $99 for everything.
It's been great being able to watch or tape/DVR any game I miss. Is it pricey? Yeah but it's still cheaper than buying few tickets to a game and going which we do every year, either Foxboro or elsewhere. We upgraded to hiDef three years ago and the only time we lost signal was during a heavy rainstorm.
Being in Philly, it's better than suffering with the Eagles every Sunday.......

But the Eagles are an NFC team...What team do you usually see from the AFC broadcast?

I see Steelers and Eagles games since my area is surrounded by these losing team fans.

But the Eagles are an NFC team...What team do you usually see from the AFC broadcast?

I see Steelers and Eagles games since my area is surrounded by these losing team fans.

Not always the Pats as they show whoever is the marque flavor of the week.. I tune into the NFL package so I don't even think about it.

Last edited:
I too am considering the sunday Ticket

I'm a full time student and work full time so it's looking like the only way I'll be able to see the games this upcoming season is to record them and watch them later

:(

Well worth it in my opinion, I've had it for years and loved it while living in Virginia. Of course now I'm back in New Hampshire and won't get it this year. The 'redzone' channel I believe is extra (free preview on opening weekend) but I loved watching that when the Pats weren't playing.

Last edited:
I've had the package forever....can't imagine living without it...but I'm a football junkie...don't think it would make much sense for a casual fan though.

I got DirecTV, Sunday Ticket and the HD package for both. And yes, I sat down and did the math. I was spending $40-$50 a week at the bar when I went. So, over the course of 16 weeks, that was between $640 and $800 dollars.

So, for me, I save between $290 and $450. Not to mention the cost of gas. I get to sit in the comfort of my home and if I want to drink, I can without worrying about driving home afterwards..

I am honestly hoping that the NFL goes ALA Cart with the games after their deal with DirecTV is up. That way they can sell it to all of the companies (DirecTV, Fios, AT&T U-Verse, etc) and we can get an even better package.

I got DirecTV, Sunday Ticket and the HD package for both. And yes, I sat down and did the math. I was spending $40-$50 a week at the bar when I went. So, over the course of 16 weeks, that was between $640 and $800 dollars.

So, for me, I save between $290 and $450. Not to mention the cost of gas. I get to sit in the comfort of my home and if I want to drink, I can without worrying about driving home afterwards..

I am honestly hoping that the NFL goes ALA Cart with the games after their deal with DirecTV is up. That way they can sell it to all of the companies (DirecTV, Fios, AT&T U-Verse, etc) and we can get an even better package.

Don't expect Direct TV to lose out anytime soon,they just signed a new contract through 2014 for something like 4 Billion dollars (1 Billion per year)

They will be VERY tough to be bought out,they want to make sure Dish Network never gets thier chance as well.

Don't expect Direct TV to lose out anytime soon,they just signed a new contract through 2014 for something like 4 Billion dollars (1 Billion per year)

They will be VERY tough to be bought out,they want to make sure Dish Network never gets thier chance as well.

I hadn't heard about the extension through 2014. The last contract I'd heard about was the one they signed in 2006 that went through 2012.

I think that, come 2014, the league will see the benefit of doing ala carte and allowing all the cable/satellite/fiber companies to offer it to their customers..

In fact, I think that the league would make more money by charging $150 per household for Ala Carte and offering it over all the different broadcasters than by sticking to an exclusivity agreement. But that is just me.

I live in Maryland and I have had it since 1996 when I moved away from New England. I would recommend the HD DVR too. It gives you an advantage for those early Sunday games. Set to record, and you don't have to worry if you can't make it home for kick off. I turn on the recorded version while still in progress and fast forward through the commercials and even if I am an hour and a half late to the game, I still catch up by the 4th quarter.

I live in Maryland and I have had it since 1996 when I moved away from New England. I would recommend the HD DVR too. It gives you an advantage for those early Sunday games. Set to record, and you don't have to worry if you can't make it home for kick off. I turn on the recorded version while still in progress and fast forward through the commercials and even if I am an hour and a half late to the game, I still catch up by the 4th quarter.

I have had since 03 and it's truly the best thing out there and no blackouts a must have for any Patriot fan living outside of MA

I dunno 'bout any of you guys, but for the last 2 seasons, I've been watching pretty much any and every regular season nfl game online, on about 5 or 6 different sites. Numerous people post the local fox & cbs feeds. Pretty sweet for free if you can't afford Sunday Ticket, if you ask me. Just sayin'.

I dunno 'bout any of you guys, but for the last 2 seasons, I've been watching pretty much any and every regular season nfl game online, on about 5 or 6 different sites. Numerous people post the local fox & cbs feeds. Pretty sweet for free if you can't afford Sunday Ticket, if you ask me. Just sayin'.

Watching a game on a computer screen over Watching a game in pure HD is like choosing Spam over Filet Mignon...no comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News