PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Advice for a Pennsylvanian who is thinking about NFL Sunday Ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.
$300 dollars is highway robbery, especially if you're talking about a team that's as high profile as the Patriots. They'll be the "out of region" game almost every week that they aren't in prime time. That means that people should be able to watch them pretty much every time they aren't in conflict with the local team.

For the few games that they aren't available, there are bars/restaurants which allows for a more diverse experience, there's the internet, and there's the yard work that you've been putting off for 3 months.

In other words, if you can only get 10 games from home and have to go out to 6 games, you've got 6 $50 meals/bar tabs coming to you while you watch the games, if you even feel the need to go out to watch the games.

Plain and f'ning simple. "I want to watch the Patriots each and every time they play".
I don't care if you think $300 is too much to pay. I don't want to depend on a bar somewhere putting the Pat's game on. Come Sunday, I know where my chair is (a big asss leather gravity-free recliner) and where my clicker is (Direct TV).
Oh, and this year, I'm hosting MNF in my basement which incidently has a pretty nice bar. I am looking very much forward to the opening game.

Brian - Just let us know how much you spend on drinks at the bar each week.. Then let us know if its more or less expensive.

I would do the bar over Direct TV if all the stars were aligned. That under no circumstances that the bar would allow any other game then the N.E. Patriots.
That I was free to go to that bar/game no matter what (kids/work/ etc). Because if you have Direct TV and have another commitment (a kid's birthday party comes to mind during a playoff game) you can always tape it, and then avoid all forms of communication.
With those intangibles worked out, you get to sit in a room with boisterous Patriot fans even though you might be hundreds of miles away from New England. Priceless.

Plain and f'ning simple. "I want to watch the Patriots each and every time they play".
I don't care if you think $300 is too much to pay. I don't want to depend on a bar somewhere putting the Pat's game on. Come Sunday, I know where my chair is (a big asss leather gravity-free recliner) and where my clicker is (Direct TV).
Oh, and this year, I'm hosting MNF in my basement which incidently has a pretty nice bar. I am looking very much forward to the opening game.

If you want to spend $300 that way, that's your call. Personally, I consider that to be pissing the cash away, because I consider it to be poor value at $280. Different strokes, and all that, which I presume is why the O.P. asked a bunch of strangers for advice rather than just asking one good friend and deciding from there.

If you want to spend $300 that way, that's your call. Personally, I consider that to be pissing the cash away, because I consider it to be poor value at $280. Different strokes, and all that, which I presume is why the O.P. asked a bunch of strangers for advice rather than just asking one good friend and deciding from there.

WTF? "O.P asked a bunch of strangers for advice".
Gee, let me digest that one. A Patriot fan posts a thread in a Patriot's Forum asking other Patriot fans from around the country (and world), what they think of Direct TV as it applies to the Sunday Ticket. Yea, that's F'd up man.

My DirecTV HD Sunday ticket is worth every penny. I have had it for about 6 years now and it makes NFL Sundays the best time of the year. I have 2 HDTV's that I can wheel into the same room on Sundays so I have the Pats game on and then the Red Zone channel or another big game on the other.

It is a little pricey but you only live once and I make the Sunday ticket one of my few guilty pleasures, especially in this economy!

You don't eat food?

Of course I do ! Chances are I may buy something while watching a late afternoon game.

It seems important to you that I except it'll cost more by going out to watch the game, which really wasn't the point of this thread. I would suggest you try harder to stay on point, I see no need to further try to explain that my need to consume beer and food may be much less then you. Also, how many games will I have to watch elsewhere, I assume your all knowing and can tell me this when the networks don't even know for sure at this point.

Thanks for your perspective, honestly though, I never asked for it ;-)

Current controversy aside. :rolleyes:

I live in Western NY, and have the same dilemma of being stuck watching Bills games if I don't do something about it.

I have had Direct Ticket for about 6-7 years now and in that time, I have NOT MISSED ONE Patriot game in that time. NOT ONE. I DVR many of them now and on occasion go back and watch/re-watch plays (particularly after coming on here and reading alot of the post game stuff. It really helps your football knowledge. The DVR feature alone is worth the price.

It used to be like $150 a year. Still, at $280 it's is ABSOLUTELY worth every penny of the price. If you consider yourself a fan, but only get to watch a few games a year, THIS IS YOUR ANSWER.

The only time that I think I regretted paying the $$ was in 2007. Almost every game that year ended up being on TV because of the storyline, so it was kind of a waste that year. Other than that, it is the only way to get your true Patriot fix every year. In my area, if I didn't have it, I'd see 3-5 games a year. UNACCEPTABLE. Bars are fine, but hard to concentrate on the game at times.

p.s. Added bonus is if you play Fantasy, as it's a great way to keep track of your players that might be playing in games your otherwise don't give a crap about (so long as the Pats aren't playing at the same time ;) )

Last edited:
Would like some advice on this.....

I just got Direct TV for my 52" Samsung LCD and am thinking about subscribing to the NFL Sunday Ticket

Direct TV has an early bird special for $20 off before July 1st so I must make my mind up soon

The price is $56.00 per month billed for 5 months (= $280 for the complete season)

Anyone from out of the Massachusettes area have it and is it really worth the cost ?

I can afford it but I wonder if the Pats will have more nationally televised afternoon games this year then usual which of course would mean I wouldnt need it since my main concern is watching the Pats games without having to watch the Steelers games every week.

Any advice? - Buy it or not?

Ive had it since 97 , and I only buy it for the Pats games, its worth it, unless you like going out for the games..

I'm not advocating this type of behavior, but I thought this was interesting....

My buddy told me that he got NFL Sunday ticket and all kinds of movie channels last year for around $50. What he did was get 6 receivers on his account, order Sunday Ticket along with all of the movie channels. He then kept one of the receivers for himself and gave the other receivers to his 5 buddies who each give him back one of theirs and $50. They then took the receivers back to their house and did not plug it back into their phone line so the receiver would not communicate back with Directv. They were then able to watch Sunday Ticket for the whole year.

Not sure if this will actually work. I wouldn't do this myself since I don't know 5 people I would actually trust to keep my HD-DVRs for a full year and then give them back to me.

Then you must consider it poor value to go to ONE game at Gillette. Because that's about what it costs. Particularly when it sells out within the first hour usually of tickets going on sale.

For the price of ONE game, I get to watch all the games in the comfort of my home where I don't have to worry about DRUNK idiots (whether they be Pats fans or opponents fans). I don't have to pay $9 for a beer, $7.50 for a hot dog or $5.50 for a soda.

And that is on top of the $45 for parking.

So, you want to talk value, but you don't want to put it into relative terms.

Of course I do ! Chances are I may buy something while watching a late afternoon game.

It seems important to you that I except it'll cost more by going out to watch the game, which really wasn't the point of this thread. I would suggest you try harder to stay on point, I see no need to further try to explain that my need to consume beer and food may be much less then you. Also, how many games will I have to watch elsewhere, I assume your all knowing and can tell me this when the networks don't even know for sure at this point.

Thanks for your perspective, honestly though, I never asked for it ;-)

Your perspective wasn't asked for either. But you gave it up. And I did stay on topic. But, hey, delude yourself what ever way you like.

Then you must consider it poor value to go to ONE game at Gillette. Because that's about what it costs. Particularly when it sells out within the first hour usually of tickets going on sale.

For the price of ONE game, I get to watch all the games in the comfort of my home where I don't have to worry about DRUNK idiots (whether they be Pats fans or opponents fans). I don't have to pay $9 for a beer, $7.50 for a hot dog or $5.50 for a soda.

And that is on top of the $45 for parking.

So, you want to talk value, but you don't want to put it into relative terms.

Actually I did. In fact, I made it abundantly clear, at least to the extent of offering what I felt was a preferable alternative:

For the few games that they aren't available, there are bars/restaurants which allows for a more diverse experience, there's the internet, and there's the yard work that you've been putting off for 3 months.

In other words, if you can only get 10 games from home and have to go out to 6 games, you've got 6 $50 meals/bar tabs coming to you while you watch the games, if you even feel the need to go out to watch the games.

I even did a follow up about this in a post answering directly to you:

Still, even if it were 10 games, you could still have 10 $30 outings for the price of the NFL ticket. That's more than just a plate of wings and a coke.

And, yes, I do consider it poor value to actually spend the amount of money it requires to go to a game now.

I'm not advocating this type of behavior, but I thought this was interesting....

My buddy told me that he got NFL Sunday ticket and all kinds of movie channels last year for around $50. What he did was get 6 receivers on his account, order Sunday Ticket along with all of the movie channels. He then kept one of the receivers for himself and gave the other receivers to his 5 buddies who each give him back one of theirs and $50. They then took the receivers back to their house and did not plug it back into their phone line so the receiver would not communicate back with Directv. They were then able to watch Sunday Ticket for the whole year.

Not sure if this will actually work. I wouldn't do this myself since I don't know 5 people I would actually trust to keep my HD-DVRs for a full year and then give them back to me.

It works. I have 3 receivers lent out.

It works. I have 3 receivers lent out.

Good stuff. It's always fun to find workarounds for things, even if I don't have them. The ingenuity of people can sometimes be a real treat to behold.

Good stuff. It's always fun to find workarounds for things, even if I don't have them. The ingenuity of people can sometimes be a real treat to behold.

You would think that would break the rules of the contract, which some people might be bothered with.

I live in the DC area and only get around probably 6 Pats games a year so I don't think the Sunday Ticket is a bad deal if you're in a similar situation.

You would think that would break the rules of the contract, which some people might be bothered with.

I live in the DC area and only get around probably 6 Pats games a year so I don't think the Sunday Ticket is a bad deal if you're in a similar situation.

Finding it and using it are two different things. I find it interesting that people can crack the iPhones, too. It doesn't mean that I think they should, or should not, do it. There are issues about the application of such workarounds, but this is not the place to get into it. Way to go cross threading, though. ;)

Yeah,I have the HD/DVR package from them - I didn't go for the $85 per month premiere package, but settled for the $54.99 HD/DVD package.

Unfortunately without the premiere package for $85 you have to resort to watching Yankees baseball all summer on the YES channel and in the winter you get the Jets and Giants on the MSG and NY channels and can only get other cities like Boston if you pay for the top monthly deal. :mad:

Yup, same in Maryland. I've got the same package, and the Ticket.
Don't think twice...do it.

Current controversy aside. :rolleyes:

I live in Western NY, and have the same dilemma of being stuck watching Bills games if I don't do something about it.

I have had Direct Ticket for about 6-7 years now and in that time, I have NOT MISSED ONE Patriot game in that time. NOT ONE. I DVR many of them now and on occasion go back and watch/re-watch plays (particularly after coming on here and reading alot of the post game stuff. It really helps your football knowledge. The DVR feature alone is worth the price.

It used to be like $150 a year. Still, at $280 it's is ABSOLUTELY worth every penny of the price. If you consider yourself a fan, but only get to watch a few games a year, THIS IS YOUR ANSWER.

The only time that I think I regretted paying the $$ was in 2007. Almost every game that year ended up being on TV because of the storyline, so it was kind of a waste that year. Other than that, it is the only way to get your true Patriot fix every year. In my area, if I didn't have it, I'd see 3-5 games a year. UNACCEPTABLE. Bars are fine, but hard to concentrate on the game at times.

p.s. Added bonus is if you play Fantasy, as it's a great way to keep track of your players that might be playing in games your otherwise don't give a crap about (so long as the Pats aren't playing at the same time ;) )

I also live in western NY and its worth every penny so I get all the pats games. As a huge fantasy player its nice to be able to watch "my players" every year as well. If you have disposable income its great.

Also send me a PM if you do decide to join as they do referrall bonuses all you need is the other person acct # :)

BUY, BABY, BUY. Been with Directv and Sunday ticket since '96 when I moved away from NE. Too many games are not shown locally, so you end up only seeing 6-7 games. Go for the package with the HD DVR.

Get it, right now! Personally, Id buy it if all but one games were on national TV. I have had it for years, I cant imagin the stress of a patriots game being on and not being able to watch it.

My .02 cents.
I've had the Sunday Ticket for, hmmmmm 7 years (missed one year in a rental house, landlord issue). My question to anyone who states, don't get the Ticket: what is the other option? Great if you have a local bar which tunes in the Pats. That would be a better choice. I've heard that you can get the game on-line, but need skin cream after the game to smooth the face from squinting.
Personally, I like Comcast. The option of instant movies or TV shows that you've missed is way better then Direct TV's formula. But, you can't get the Patriots. Don't care so much about the HD as long as I get my weekly Patriots games. To pass the time I'll surf all the games and it always seems like I catch half a dozen endings of great games each week.
conclusion: go for it.

The other option is Slingbox if you have family back in New England.

If you do, they hook up the Slingbox HD to one of their free cable outlets (as my brother did for me) and you can watch all the New England Sports you need that way. I get the Patriots, UConn Huskies, Celtics and Red Sox this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News