PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Advice for a Pennsylvanian who is thinking about NFL Sunday Ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.
I weight this choice every year (I live in the Philly area now).

Basically, I stick with Comcast and head to the bar for games that aren't available. The only problem is you don't get sound. I need to figure out a way to set it up through my cell phone. Maybe I will call my Dad, who lives in MA, and have him leave his phone on through the game, sitting next to the TV speaker. :)

Does WBCN offer streaming audio that I could acces with my Blackberry? Hmmm....

If your Dad lives in Mass, you should definitely look into the Slingbox.

Sorry to hijack this thread but I can't PM anyone yet because of my low post count.

I have slingbox but my dad in MA doesn't have internet so I'm looking for someone in MA or Anyone that have NFL Sunday ticket that can help me out.

All you have to do is connect my slingbox to your Direct TV receiver (those who have NFL sunday ticket), and your internet via a network cable. I then connect to the slingbox via my laptop, desktop or phone and then I'm able to watch the game.

For anyone in MA, just hook up the slingbox to your cable receiver and internet.

:help:If anyone here is interested in helping out, I'm willing to pay $100 for the duration of NFL season. You'd be saving $100 and helping a couple of Pats Fan out. My wife and I can't stand watching the Jets and Giants every weekend. Let me know by replying here or e-mailing me at [email protected] . Again sorry to hijack the thread. :hijacked:

Go Pats!

Your perspective wasn't asked for either. But you gave it up. And I did stay on topic. But, hey, delude yourself what ever way you like.

Yes it was, I responded, no you didn't, likewise !

Save your money. That's almost 300 bucks a year that could be put to far better use by you and your families.

Normally I'd agree with that perspective but seeing that I spend more than that for 2 seats to attend my single game at Gillette, that would make me a hypocrite. I don't know how I'd deal with living somewhere where I could not watch Patriots games (no, not the movie).

If you want to spend $300 that way, that's your call. Personally, I consider that to be pissing the cash away, because I consider it to be poor value at $280. Different strokes, and all that, which I presume is why the O.P. asked a bunch of strangers for advice rather than just asking one good friend and deciding from there.

Good,reliable friends are not easy to come by in Northeast Pa,believe me ;)

I consider my fellow Patriots fans in here to be my friends anyway,even if we don't know each other and don't always see things eye to eye...but then again many of my friends locally from my past, were the same way :)

I still appreciate any feedback about this and if I didn't respect anyones opinions in here about Directv I would have never asked.

Last edited:
I have enjoyed the ticket for many years but did not renew this year. They charge you for the ticket itself, then $100 for the HD package, then another $10/month for the HD signal as well. Way too much money. Many games are on National TV. I will travel back east to see my family and go to 3 games anyway. Also at least 2-3 game are on here in Denver every season anyway. The remainder I can go to the bar. I can walk there and keep my expense to around $20 per game. At least that's the plan.

If you go ahead with it try to negotiate for a free SuperFan package. I have heard of people doing this successfully.

My 2-cents

I have had it for a long time. I moved to Somerville, MA last summer and still had to have it. It's that critical for any football fan, IMO.

I also just moved to Philadelphia, trying to get directv. So let me recap.

$280 for sunday ticket.
$100 for extra HD? (Even when my package already has HD? $60+ a month)

So $380 total for sunday ticket HD?

This is the first time i'm getting it. The thing i hate about directv is they subcontract the installation. I've had a lot of hidden fees like needing crap to mount my dish on my flat roof. On top of that, the installers seem to be unprofessional. I've already sent one installer home. A new one is coming next week.

Any advice? I live in a 3 story rowhouse with a flat roof.

Last edited:
I also just moved to Philadelphia, trying to get directv. So let me recap.

$280 for sunday ticket.
$100 for extra HD? (Even when my package already has HD? $60+ a month)

So $380 total for sunday ticket HD?

This is the first time i'm getting it. The thing i hate about directv is they subcontract the installation. I've had a lot of hidden fees like needing crap to mount my dish on my flat roof. On top of that, the installers seem to be unprofessional. I've already sent one installer home. A new one is coming next week.

Any advice? I live in a 3 story rowhouse with a flat roof.

I had no problem getting the installation last week and there were no hidden charges that I am aware of at this time.

The installer was only 21 years old but seemed to do a great job and took him less than 2 hours to get the job done with 2 receivers and the HD/DVR box.

Make sure you get the $54.99 HD DVR or the Premium package for the best possible deal,the other lower priced packages are really just glorified cable.

BTW: For those who don't know - When they give you a GRAY HD/DVR box it is NOT new - Only the BLACK HD/DVR boxes are new,the gray ones are refurbished but my installer told me that they did away with giving new boxes out since $7M of them were stolen over a period of 1 year.

I had no problem getting the installation last week and there were no hidden charges that I am aware of at this time.

The installer was only 21 years old but seemed to do a great job and took him less than 2 hours to get the job done with 2 receivers and the HD/DVR box.

Make sure you get the $54.99 HD DVR or the Premium package for the best possible deal,the other lower priced packages are really just glorified cable.

BTW: For those who don't know - When they give you a GRAY HD/DVR box it is NOT new - Only the BLACK HD/DVR boxes are new,the gray ones are refurbished but my installer told me that they did away with giving new boxes out since $7M of them were stolen over a period of 1 year.

Did they put yours on a pole? Or do you have a pitched roof? They said the can't drill into my roof since it's flat and will leak. Then the first guy refused to drill it into the side of the building, claiming he might die if he lost his balance.
So, I need some sort of platform put up on my flat roof and held down with cinder blocks. That's what they're all telling me. Btw, I'm in center city.

I think I got the $54.99 package also.

Did they put yours on a pole? Or do you have a pitched roof? They said the can't drill into my roof since it's flat and will leak. Then the first guy refused to drill it into the side of the building, claiming he might die if he lost his balance.
So, I need some sort of platform put up on my flat roof and held down with cinder blocks. That's what they're all telling me. Btw, I'm in center city.

When you called DirecTV, they should have asked you if you lived in an apartment building. Do you live in an apartment building? If you do, then if you are above the 3rd floor, I might agree with the guy... Otherwise, he was blowing smoke up your rear end. In either case, I would call and complain to DirecTV...

As for needing some kind of platform, I've never heard of that.. But It would also depend on how tall your roof was.

When you called DirecTV, they should have asked you if you lived in an apartment building. Do you live in an apartment building? If you do, then if you are above the 3rd floor, I might agree with the guy... Otherwise, he was blowing smoke up your rear end. In either case, I would call and complain to DirecTV...

As for needing some kind of platform, I've never heard of that.. But It would also depend on how tall your roof was.

My rowhome is 3 floors. The roof is flat. Basically, they all wanna charge me more than $80 to put a platform above my roof so they can screw the dish onto it, instead of the roof. And then hold the platform down with cinder blocks. Some even quote me more to bring a taller ladder.

I've almost always had subcontractors install my DT (as I've moved around in the last 7 years). So the last guy comes out and refuses to drill where I want him to (lame excuse). So I get my tools and drill where I want the cable to go. When he's done I sign a paper that says he didn't do any damage drilling.

I'd kill to be able to pay $300 and see the games on TV. To me, buying the package is a no-brainer if you can afford it.

This is coming from a longtime Pats fan who lives in the East Bay of SF. I'm stuck with the Raiders. When they play at home and don't sell out, which is every week, we get stuck with some bad early game or none at all. The ticket is the only way to go.

My wife ordered it for me around 6 years ago. I was going to either Reno or Vegas to watch every game. Her buying me a 42" plasma and the Sunday ticket was a no brainer. IF you live in an area where both NFL teams are terrible it can't be beat. The 49ers sell out every week but they stink. I like the ticket because I can choose which teams to watch and I can record them as well on my DVR.

If you worry about SuperFan, you can call the CSR and get them to waive the $100 fee for the year. I have done this the last 4 years. Look online for the discussion board about the Sunday Ticket. They will give you all the details to get the credit for SuperFan.

:D

Ok, whoever said once they had HD they wouldn't ever go back (or something along that line). Now, you've got me thinking, so I was looking at my options. Does the price of $199 buy the HD receiver, and are their options for buying a different one besides DT. Once you purchase the receiver, it's only $10 a month more for HD, or am I missing the fine print?

So I am moving before the football season starts, and am thinking about getting DirecTV when I move so I don't have to miss any games. The only thing that makes me worry is I remember hearing people who had satellite dishes complaining about losing reception when the weather gets bad. Is this just a myth, or is this still a serious concern? It just seems like that is a lot of money if you have to worry about reception. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I am also contemplating getting DTV and the Ticket this year for the first time.

Does the reception go out in bad weather? Any other issues? Customer service?

I am also contemplating getting DTV and the Ticket this year for the first time.

Does the reception go out in bad weather? Any other issues? Customer service?

I have had Direct TV and Sunday ticket for 5 years. The dish is on top of my roof and you can not even see it. I have 99% signal strength, the picture is 10x better than cable.

Q: Does your reception go out in bad weather?
A: Only during absolute downpours like we get here in the South. When the skies open up for one of those absolute downpours, then yes, your signal will go out. I have never lost my signal for more than 10 minutes. It maybe happens once or twice a year, but yes, it does happen. (I can not say what happens when it snows, because, well, it doesn't snow here).

The Sunday Ticket is the best, if you have HD go ahead and spend the extra 100 bucks and get the Superfan. YOu get every single game (the only games that they black out are the ones that are being broadcasted national on your local channels (which you get) and depending on where you live, if your local team is at home and under blackout (I'm considered in the Jaguars braodcast area, so I had a few of their games last year blacked out). The best part of the Sunday ticket is the interactive scorebaord that comes with it, push a button and get all of the other scores instantly while still watching your game.

The Superfan comes with the Red zone channel (flips between all the games as teams enter, oddly enough, the red zone), the MIx channel, which is 8 games at once on one screen, move between the audio with your remote or highlight a game and press a button and you go to the full picutre game. Plus Superfan gives you all the games in HD.

The SUperfan also gives you condensed games starting late night Sunday. This allows you to save the games on your DVR and not eat up all of your disc space. Every snap, every play, everything else cut out. They are usually around 30 minutes long, so you can save the entire season and only take up 8 hours on your DVR.

DirectTV is absolutely worth it, especially if you do not live in Mass. I have both the Sunday ticket and Extra Innings, iif you spring for the extra 12 bucks a month, you can get every signle sports channel too (NESN, CCSNE included) (of course, the games are blacked out).

Last edited:
Would like some advice on this.....

Any advice? - Buy it or not?

Get it plus any package that enables you to record via DVR. The only reason I don't have it is that I live in a building that doesn't allow individual dishes.

It's a no brainer if you love the NFL and follow the teams as much as you clearly do. Also, if you have a couple of bucks to spend, get a surround sound system to go with it; doesn't have to be a fancy one to get the effect.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes