Advice for a Pennsylvanian who is thinking about NFL Sunday Ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Would like some advice on this.....

I just got Direct TV for my 52" Samsung LCD and am thinking about subscribing to the NFL Sunday Ticket

Direct TV has an early bird special for $20 off before July 1st so I must make my mind up soon

The price is $56.00 per month billed for 5 months (= $280 for the complete season)

Anyone from out of the Massachusettes area have it and is it really worth the cost ?

I can afford it but I wonder if the Pats will have more nationally televised afternoon games this year then usual which of course would mean I wouldnt need it since my main concern is watching the Pats games without having to watch the Steelers games every week.

Any advice? - Buy it or not?

I just got Direct TV for my 52" Samsung LCD and am thinking about subscribing to the NFL Sunday Ticket

Direct TV has an early bird special for $20 off before July 1st so I must make my mind up soon

The price is $56.00 per month billed for 5 months (= $280 for the complete season)

Anyone from out of the Massachusettes area have it and is it really worth the cost ?

I can afford it but I wonder if the Pats will have more nationally televised afternoon games this year then usual which of course would mean I wouldnt need it since my main concern is watching the Pats games without having to watch the Steelers games every week.

Same offer here in Georgia - So I would appreciate people opinion on this too.

I would also love to hear anyone's thoughts on the Direct TV's HD-DVR, functionality and ease of use - I have a Comcast now.

I do remember last year they offered the ticket for free if you subscribed to the highest package on Direct TV, however I called and asked if they were going to run that again this year and they said they would not.

I would def. Get it bro but only if you couple it with the High definition DVR receiver so you can catch any games you miss or rewind plays you'd like to take a better look at. And if you play fantasy it's extremly useful I just purhased a 46'' plasma 1080p like 6 months ago I'm holding off on my HD DVR box until September for football season I didn't know about that 20 dollar promo though my uncle has the same tv as you and last year I watched most of mygames over there as he has the ticket as well

Same offer here in Georgia - So I would appreciate people opinion on this too.

I would also love to hear anyone's thoughts on the Direct TV's HD-DVR, functionality and ease of use - I have a Comcast now.

I do remember last year they offered the ticket for free if you subscribed to the highest package on Direct TV, however I called and asked if they were going to run that again this year and they said they would not.

I bought the HD-DVR package and it looks like it should be easy to navigate - All of the buttons to operate the DVR are right on the original Direct TV remote for the TV and appear to be as siple as it is with Digital Cable which I used to have until I moved,I will get back to you once I start taping shows or games.

As far as functionality goes and all that jazz I'm not sure cuz technically I didn't own it but whenever I used it I found It fairly simple to navigate I love the whole rewinding plays aspect of it you review the play yourself during long challenge timeouts LOL and see just how blind the zebra's really are

I would def. Get it bro but only if you couple it with the High definition DVR receiver so you can catch any games you miss or rewind plays you'd like to take a better look at. And if you play fantasy it's extremly useful I just purhased a 46'' plasma 1080p like 6 months ago I'm holding off on my HD DVR box until September for football season I didn't know about that 20 dollar promo though my uncle has the same tv as you and last year I watched most of mygames over there as he has the ticket as well

Yeah,I have the HD/DVR package from them - I didn't go for the $85 per month premiere package, but settled for the $54.99 HD/DVD package.

Unfortunately without the premiere package for $85 you have to resort to watching Yankees baseball all summer on the YES channel and in the winter you get the Jets and Giants on the MSG and NY channels and can only get other cities like Boston if you pay for the top monthly deal. :mad:

Last edited:
I have had Sunday Ticket in the past and would highly recommend it. The only reason I dropped it was because I came across a nearby bar that is owned by a New England transplant, and is completely filled with Pats fans for each game. Just makes it more fun when I'm watching the game with a crowd of other Pats fans.

An HD receiver is definitely the way to go. If you want to get Boston area sports channels for pre and post game shows, I believe you have to get the most expensive package; it will give you all the various regional FoxSports and Comcast channels in every market. It was nice to be able to watch those shows but I didn't think it was worth the extra price, in my opinion.

https://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/wizard/buildYourSystem1.jsp

Save your money. That's almost 300 bucks a year that could be put to far better use by you and your families.

I was in your same exact dilemma, wanting to watch Pats games every wk, but instead getting stuck w/ the Steelers every single wk.

I went out and purchased Direct Tv specifically just to get the Sunday Ticket, and am counting down the days to September. It's a great deal, and the early bird splits the pymts into 5 instead of 4 (FWIW)

It's worth it's weight in gold, and allows you to really savor Sundays instead of 'just getting by.';)

You figure you're going to spend that going to about 2 games anyway, it's worth it to watch the Pats every Sunday--instead of having to wait sometimes a month in between for Natl TV games

Last edited:
I used to have Direct TV, I bailed because I personally decided it was too much money. The 2007 Season was frustrating because so many games were carried everywhere. I'm going to try and find a bar in Pittsburgh to watch the games, should be more fun and much less expensive. In addition, I may in the future go back to Direct TV and the NFL Sunday ticket once the economy settles down.

I would suggest at least try it out and see if it's for you !

Oh congrats on the Samsung, I just bought a 850 Series 46" myself, amazing TV !! Love how it can act as a front end to a media server over your home network. I can now watch every movie I own without lifting anything but the remote !

Last edited:
I would def. Get it bro but only if you couple it with the High definition DVR receiver so you can catch any games you miss

it is definitely worth the cash, the picture is great and DVR works great. I live in the Arizona desert so I don't have to contend with storms that may hamper the service. I would suggest holding off for a little while, the closer the season gets the sweeter the deals become. $20.00 isn't much of a deal.

I got rid of DirecTV myself. When you had to shell out extra money to get the games in HD, that is when I called it quits. In many ways it is better than Comcast that I have now. Just waiting from them to install FIOS in my part of town and dumping them too.

Greatest thing available for transplanted football fans. Not only are you guaranteed to be able to watch your team but you get every game! I like to consider myself a football fan who roots for the Patriots. I love football and watch multiple games at the same time on Sundays. I will be up to 6 tvs in my living room on Sundays this season.

And for those that don't want to get crazy but still enjoy multiple games you can watch the Red Zone channel. It is fantastic especially on the bye week. They just bounce around from game to game and show multiple games if two teams are in the red zone. They show realtime highlights as well.

One other channel is the game mix channel they show 8 games on one channel. It wouldn't be reccomended for a smaller tv but if you have a large tv or a projector it is pretty good. You can also go through and select the audio to any game available on the channel.

The Directv DVR is pretty good, not quite where the TIVO is as far as multi-room sharing etc... but it gets the job done and is extremely simple to use.

All in all it is the best $300 bucks I spend a year. And better yet I only had to explain the following to my wife once.

Her: 150 dollars :mad:
Me: But honey, you know I have to watch the Pats :(
Her: Yeah, but for $150? :confused:
Me: The only place to see them is at a bar. How much do you think I would spend over the entire season at a bar? I guarantee it would be more than $150 and I am not leaving the house. :D

Sold! :rocker:

Note: it has gone up a lot since I first signed up.

The only complaint I have is that they screw you into paying $100 more for the superfan package which is the only way you can watch the HD games. They do include the red zone and Mix channel in that package. But make no mistake it was only to milk an extra $100 bucks out of HD. One other feature that I forgot to mention is the online viewing of the games. You are given a logon to the superfan site and you can watch live games via your laptop/pc. I have in the past, given this password to family members to let them watch games. It is also handy if you are traveling. Only one person can be logged on at a time though.

Sorry for the long response. ;)

Last edited:
I would def. Get it bro but only if you couple it with the High definition DVR receiver so you can catch any games you miss

it is definitely worth the cash, the picture is great and DVR works great. I live in the Arizona desert so I don't have to contend with storms that may hamper the service. I would suggest holding off for a little while, the closer the season gets the sweeter the deals become. $20.00 isn't much of a deal.

While I agree 20 bucks off isn't too great a deal, they do split the payments into 5 instead of the usual 4--plus the 20 bucks off

It's nice to pay that 280 over 5 months, making it way more affordable for some, it'd be a lot harder having to pay the 280 all at once (for example)

I got rid of DirecTV myself. When you had to shell out extra money to get the games in HD, that is when I called it quits. In many ways it is better than Comcast that I have now. Just waiting from them to install FIOS in my part of town and dumping them too.

When they went to that, I called and *****ed and got superfan for free for two years and then last year I got it for $50 bucks. I assume at some point cable/satellite companies won't be able to justify an extra charge for HD.

That was and still is a sore spot for me, but the pros far outweight the cons, IMO.

Definately buy the NFL ticket. For true fans its well worth the money. You will find yourself watching Jet, Dolphin, Colt and Steeler games just to route against them. You can also watch Cassel and Vrabel with the Chiefs or watch Josh coach the Broncos. I've had the Directv NFL tickets for years and it always helps me get through the long cold winters.

Are you saying that AFTER July 1st there will be better deals on this?

I thought that early payments BEFORE TC would get you the better deal? :confused:

Buy it now before the price goes up. It is worth it! Not only will you see every Pats game but every game during the season.

My .02 cents.
I've had the Sunday Ticket for, hmmmmm 7 years (missed one year in a rental house, landlord issue). My question to anyone who states, don't get the Ticket: what is the other option? Great if you have a local bar which tunes in the Pats. That would be a better choice. I've heard that you can get the game on-line, but need skin cream after the game to smooth the face from squinting.
Personally, I like Comcast. The option of instant movies or TV shows that you've missed is way better then Direct TV's formula. But, you can't get the Patriots. Don't care so much about the HD as long as I get my weekly Patriots games. To pass the time I'll surf all the games and it always seems like I catch half a dozen endings of great games each week.
conclusion: go for it.

I have had Sunday Ticket for the Past 3 years and its worth it. Especially if you upgrade to the HD version (I can't watch games in SD any more).

The way I look at it is that I would spend about $50 a game going to the bar to watch... Time 16 weeks and it was $800. With Sunday Ticket, I am in the comfort of my own home, I don't have to put up with other teams fans and the booze is about 10% of the price as is the food.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes