PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Tangini blew the Revis deal bigtime!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Remember how Darrell Revis was the last first rounder to sign other than JaMarcus Russell and the hold out lasted well into training camp? Remember how they were arguing about the length of the deal with Revis wanting a five year deal and the Jets wanting a six year deal? Well, now according to the NY Daily News, it is now a 4 year deal because Revis met his rookie playing time incentive.

From Rich Cimini:

ROOKIE MISTAKE? During Revis' contract dispute over the summer, the Jets demanded a six-year deal. They got what they wanted, but that six-year contract has shrunk to four years, the Daily News has learned.

The rookie cornerback already has logged enough action to hit a 35% playing-time incentive, voiding the final two years. It's now a four-year, $16 million contract. The Jets are prohibited from using the transition or franchise tag in 2011, meaning they will have to spend at least another $14 million to buy back the last two years.

It will be a major setback, financially and otherwise, if the Jets are wrong about Revis. So far, he looks like the real deal, but he's still looking for his first interception.

"I'm getting my hands on a lot of balls," he said. "Sooner or later, I'll get an interception and try to make a good play out of that."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...eric_mangini_must_act_on_proclamations_o.html

Granted in four years, $7 million a year may be chump changed for a CB. Also with the way things are going with the Jets, Tannebaum and Mangini will not have to worry about what to do with Revis in four years. It will be someone else's problem.

Wow. If I'm Darelle Revis, no way do I let them buy back the extra years at this stage. He has a rich enough 4-year deal that he can afford to roll the dice on hitting the Nate Clements Memorial Jackpot in 2011.

Come on, Jets. You make an expensive trade to the top half of the 1st round, then don't secure a single year past the standard RFA level...and give up the right to franchise? Ouch.

Remember how Darrell Revis was the last first rounder to sign other than JaMarcus Russell and the hold out lasted well into training camp? Remember how they were arguing about the length of the deal with Revis wanting a five year deal and the Jets wanting a six year deal? Well, now according to the NY Daily News, it is now a 4 year deal because Revis met his rookie playing time incentive.

From Rich Cimini:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...eric_mangini_must_act_on_proclamations_o.html

Granted in four years, $7 million a year may be chump changed for a CB. Also with the way things are going with the Jets, Tannebaum and Mangini will not have to worry about what to do with Revis in four years. It will be someone else's problem.

The point of draft picks is that you get a guy for substantially less than he would cost in free agency.

Mangini spent a #1, #2 and #5 pick on this guy. If $30M for six years isn't a DEEP discount, then it wasn't a good deal.

Wow. If I'm Darelle Revis, no way do I let them buy back the extra years at this stage. He has a rich enough 4-year deal that he can afford to roll the dice on hitting the Nate Clements Memorial Jackpot in 2011.

Come on, Jets. You make an expensive trade to the top half of the 1st round, then don't secure a single year past the standard RFA level...and give up the right to franchise? Ouch.

Yeah, this was one of the all-time rollovers by a front office. They didn't even give him what the wanted....they gave him much more. Like that day when the Astros asked for Scott Cooper in return for Larry Anderson, and the Red Sox insisted they take Jeff Bagwell instead....

A $14M for two year option is substantially better than the right to franchise.

1. It almost certainly costs less
2. It doesn't tie up your franchise tag
3. It doesn't limit your ability to apply the franchise tag to this player in the future.

Wow. If I'm Darelle Revis, no way do I let them buy back the extra years at this stage.
It reads to me like the buy back is the Jets' option. If so, it would still be costly as a $14M buy back would be uncharged to the cap until those last two years meaning it would add $7M of cap per year + salary + other bonuses which were spread out over the contract (although as the contract could have expired after 4 years, most or all of those were likely just over the first 4 years).

From Rich Cimini:

The real tragedy of this is how ManKotite has changed the equation for the rest of the NFL.... I heard at the time that quite a few GMs were PO'd about how he postured, then caved, setting a possible new trend as one can expect every other agent will view this as a way to get out of not only 6 year contracts - but to get it down to 4

Now all that being said, while I'd have to go back to my old threads on this, my impression at the time that this wasn't completely one sided against the Jets. $4 million a season isn't chump change but its not over-paying at that draft selection either.

So if Revis doesn't pan out the Jets haven't shelled out an expensive long term contract and get out after just 4 years.

By the same token, if he does pan out, they'll have to pay more to keep him - to the tune of $7 mil a season... which might or might not be viewed as expensive at that time.

What we effectively have here is 2 contracts - one 4 year, and one a 2 year at the option of the team which requires them to pay a premium for the final two years.

That's not the worst compromise in the world.. but as I mentioned it does set a new precedent, and I don't think Coach ManKotite is as smart as he thinks he is - this could come back to haunt us all.

It reads to me like the buy back is the Jets' option.

You think? I assumed otherwise, since it said "they will have to spend at least another $14 million." And if there's a buyback at the exact same level as the original contract, isn't the voiding meaningless?

EDIT: my mistake, misunderstood the $14 mil. You're right!

A $14M for two year option is substantially better than the right to franchise.

1. It almost certainly costs less
2. It doesn't tie up your franchise tag
3. It doesn't limit your ability to apply the franchise tag to this player in the future.

But they probably could have had Revis for five years for less than it would take for less than his four year deal before the buy back of the final two years. Adam Carriker who was selected just before Revis signed a 5 year, $14.5 million deal with $9 million in guarantees). Marshawn Lynch who was taken two spots before Revis got a 5 year, $19 million deal. So the Rams got a player taken higher for five years for less than Revis' four year deal and the Bills got a player taken two spots higher for only $3 million more to get an extra year of contract.

I don't know how you can argue anything, but this being a monumental mistake by Tangini.

"I'm getting my hands on a lot of balls," he said.

Maybe I'm just exhausted, but this made me LOL.

Oh and this is just one more reason why the Jets are a terrible franchise. They take one step forward last season and then take 3 steps back this season.

OK, now I'm totally confused. Here's the original contract terms, per Rotoworld:

Signed a six-year, $30 million contract. The deal includes $11 million in guarantees and $16 million over the first four years. Another $6 million is available through incentives. It voids to four years if Revis hits 35% playing time in the first year or 45% in any of the next three years, but can be "bought back" by the Jets for a minimum of $14 million ($5 million for 2011 and $9 million for 2012).

So it was originally a $30-million contract worth $16 million in the first four years. That means $14 million in the last two. But it voids to four years, with a buyback option at...$14 million.

Huh? :confused: What's the value of voiding if the buyback is at the original contract level?

Regardless, it's a stunningly bad contract for the Jets. Based on the 5-year contracts of players signed above him, they're paying at least $13 million extra for the 6th year!!! In fact, Marshawn Lynch's contract is technically 6 years including a voidable year, and the total value including the 6th is just $19 million.

You think? I assumed otherwise, since it said "they will have to spend at least another $14 million." And if there's a buyback at the exact same level as the original contract, isn't the voiding meaningless?

EDIT: my mistake, misunderstood the $14 mil. You're right!

I think (but am simply working off of memory here) that it was a 6 year deal, easily voidable down to four. The two years which were voided were for substantially less than 14M. Once voided, the Jets now have either a 2 year, 14M option or two 1 year, 7M options.

I think (but am simply working off of memory here) that it was a 6 year deal, easily voidable down to four. The two years which were voided were for substantially less than 14M. Once voided, the Jets now have either a 2 year, 14M option or two 1 year, 7M options.

I think, also from memory, that it's a one-year 9 million option or two years for 14, but other than that, I think you're right.

From Rich Cimini:

Naah in 4 years Revis will establish himself as a star and then sign... with the New England Patriots! Problem solved! Thanks for blowing multiple picks to land us a great player 4 years from now Ratgini! :rocker:
Either that or the Jets overpay to keep Revis. Which still means they overpaid. Either way New England looks smart. How much did Meriweather get paid btw?

Last edited:
The real tragedy of this is how ManKotite has changed the equation for the rest of the NFL.... I heard at the time that quite a few GMs were PO'd about how he postured, then caved, setting a possible new trend as one can expect every other agent will view this as a way to get out of not only 6 year contracts - but to get it down to 4
I can say with absolute certainty that the Pats will never cave in any such situation. If they draft someone with the maximum allowable 6 years, it will be a 6 year deal. If they draft someone with the maximum 5 years, it will be a 5 year deal. No incentives or player options or any of that nonsense.

But I love the fact that this messes up other teams - especially the Jets.

Last edited:
OK, now I'm totally confused. Here's the original contract terms, per Rotoworld:

Signed a six-year, $30 million contract. The deal includes $11 million in guarantees and $16 million over the first four years. Another $6 million is available through incentives. It voids to four years if Revis hits 35% playing time in the first year or 45% in any of the next three years, but can be "bought back" by the Jets for a minimum of $14 million ($5 million for 2011 and $9 million for 2012).

So it was originally a $30-million contract worth $16 million in the first four years. That means $14 million in the last two. But it voids to four years, with a buyback option at...$14 million.

Huh? :confused: What's the value of voiding if the buyback is at the original contract level?

Regardless, it's a stunningly bad contract for the Jets. Based on the 5-year contracts of players signed above him, they're paying at least $13 million extra for the 6th year!!! In fact, Marshawn Lynch's contract is technically 6 years including a voidable year, and the total value including the 6th is just $19 million.

They assumed (properly) that the deal would void. This has been done for many other rookie deals that contained bonuses that could be earned with the simplest bump permitted by the CBA. (The only reason this bump is in there, is because these contracts would otherwise not fit within the entering players (rookie) pool). Unless your last name is Winslow, the money is a gimme.

I can say with absolute certainty that the Pats will never cave in any such situation. If they draft someone with the maximum allowable 6 years, it will be a 6 year deal. If they draft someone with the maximum 5 years, it will be a 5 year deal. No incentives or player options or any of that nonsense.

But I love the fact that this messes up other teams - especially the Jets.

I completely disagree, the Patriots are pragmatic and will do less than the maximum if that's the absolute best they expect they can do. They won't cave like the Jets did but if they need to they will make intelligent concessions to get what they want. The deal to keep from franchising Asante is an example.

They assumed (properly) that the deal would void. This has been done for many other rookie deals that contained bonuses that could be earned with the simplest bump permitted by the CBA. (The only reason this bump is in there, is because these contracts would otherwise not fit within the entering players (rookie) pool). Unless your last name is Winslow, the money is a gimme.

I can follow that if the buy-back is significantly higher than the original dummy years, but how does a buy-back equal to the dummy level help either side? :confused:

Also, you're right to point out that the void level was low enough that this apparent "goof" was clearly part of the plan. But the plan itself sure looks like a goof, no? They're paying such crazy money for 6 years that they would have been much better off with 5 plus the option to franchise. Revis will have to be a franchise-level player and the franchise level for CBs will have to be at $14 million for this to be a decent deal. (And that doesn't even take into account the time/cap value of paying so much in the early years.)

Are the Jets even playing David Harris? I heard his named called on special teams in the Cincinnati game, is he getting any snaps on D?

Yeah, this was one of the all-time rollovers by a front office. They didn't even give him what the wanted....they gave him much more. Like that day when the Astros asked for Scott Cooper in return for Larry Anderson, and the Red Sox insisted they take Jeff Bagwell instead....

Ha! I know this is off topic, but...I was 10 when that trade happened. The Sox were in love with Cooper. I recall they turned down an offer from Atlanta too, Cooper for Tom Glavine! I remember thinking, if you're going to trade a prospect, anybody but Bagwell. I had a feeling about the guy.

As for the Jets, they effed up big on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3