PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Sucks, Curse of Len Bias

I dont know if the Celts deserve the first two picks after Ainge was seen sitting next to Durant's mother in the stands during Teaxs' sweet 16 game.

First, Ainge has said that was a complete accident, and by all accounts that seems to be the case. Secondly, who gives a crap if he was next to Durant's mother?!

I don't get the Ainge hate. The Telfair trade backfired, but you can't blame him for the ping pong balls. If we get #1 or #2, we matter again.

As it is, looks like we could continue to be stuck in the never ending cycle of mediocrity that the NBA and their stupid lottery perpetuates.....:mad:

I have never thought Ainge was a good GM, if it was the NFL he would have been fired 2x in the time he has been taking the celtics to the bottom. Telfair, Lafrentz, Szerbiack.........these are players to get excited about common Ainge is a sad excuse for a GM. Doc Rivers is a journey man coach and all these youngsters they have are not getting any better unless it takes 6 years to develop players. I feel bad for Pierce I hope he forces his way out of that pathetic franchise so his talents are not wasted any loneger. Oh and to all the C's faithfull as much as A Walker was a jerk at least with him and Pierce we made playoffs instead of being bottom dwellers and sinking under ainge
Wait a minute...you made my points...he IS a sad excuse....to me more like Pitino in green...
I will NEVER forget about Pitino..he came in as a savior..and I believed it all..in teh early days of the net for me...I came across someone from Kentucky in a chatroom...RP had been just been in Boston for a few years coaching..but still there was great hope here From what he said, he felt that RP was MORE of a used car salesman and just that all hype no substance and...well how did it turn out??
Ainge is just teh same..only in Green..I ALSO feel bad for Pierce..get out leave..they'll be many years before you see "deep into the playoffs".. Ainge has NO idea what it takes to make up a team..ZERO....closer to the old Clippers..than anything else....and Walker and Pierce made it...but??? Say bye bye Danny...

This whole thing stinks of a set up. The worst 3 records were punished for tanking. Portland and Seattle had the two lowest fan bases and so the league gave them the 2 top picks in order to revive those teams.

While there actually does seem to be some sort of nebulous connection with regard to the Celtics and Bias I see no curse. Well? That is prior to Bias. :D

I have ZERO sympathy for Boston fans. You won EIGHT titles in a row and STILL have the league leading total of SIXTEEN titles. Please do not be :singing:
"It's my party and I'll cry if I want to." :singing:

Think back 10 yrs ago.. If we got the 1 and 3 pick .. and say Larry Brown instead of Rick Pitino was coach.. and then we keep a Joe Johnson, Chancy Billiups and have Tim Duncan... Oh well I woke up now ,and found out the NBA is still irrelevent to me..

Just when I thought it might be time for the NBA to become relevant to me again, the rug is pulled right out from behind my feet.

I agree, I want to throw up.

First, Ainge has said that was a complete accident, and by all accounts that seems to be the case. Secondly, who gives a crap if he was next to Durant's mother?!

I don't get the Ainge hate. The Telfair trade backfired, but you can't blame him for the ping pong balls. If we get #1 or #2, we matter again.

As it is, looks like we could continue to be stuck in the never ending cycle of mediocrity that the NBA and their stupid lottery perpetuates.....:mad:

i agree
i never quite understood why everyone hates ainge
yes he has screwed up on some trades
but his drafts have been amazing
go take a look at his drafts and see the players picked around the guys we got
one time he did get lucky though, if robert swift were also available when jefferson was picked we prob woulda taken swift

looking at the trades: the eric williams and i think battie for ricky davis move was brilliant, the ricky davis and blount for wally kinda sucked, but they had to move blount
the antoine for lafrentz was the dumbest by far, and made us have to do the number 7 for telfair (which was awful of course)...i wanted rudy gay (then boston coulda had two r gays...yikes...not that theres anything wrong with that), but the c's mighta done what portland did (no not get greg oden) trade up one pick to get brandon roy

overall i really dont think he's done a bad job...the guy i want gone is herman...i mean doc rivers

seriously, does anyone else think rivers is the nba version of herman edwards
both are nice guys
both get along great with the players, are good with the media
both are ex very good players
both are terrible when it comes to x's and o's
both get completely out-coached when it comes to the playoffs (unless you coach against schottenheimer)
hopefully doc will follow herm's path and leave the green and white

While there actually does seem to be some sort of nebulous connection with regard to the Celtics and Bias I see no curse. Well? That is prior to Bias. :D

I have ZERO sympathy for Boston fans. You won EIGHT titles in a row and STILL have the league leading total of SIXTEEN titles. Please do not be :singing:
"It's my party and I'll cry if I want to." :singing:

well for guys like me (born in 1984) we dont exactly remember the good ole days

to add to that eight in a row..we won 11 out of 13
lol, russell ran out of fingers

Anybody posting in this thread about how the NBA is dead to them because they just got the #5 pick after finishing with a poor record...how do you post that on a Pats message board when we're constantly defending ourselves against not being front runners? I mean really?

Secondly, we (yes, I'm a Trail Blazers fan. I live in Portland), finished with the worst record in 2005-06. What pick did we get? #4. Every team has a better chance of finishing out of the top 3 than in the top three. That's what people don't understand about the lottery. Even though you had a 30-something percent chance of getting the #1 or #2 picks.....that still left something like a 70% chance of getting 3 or lower. And that's how it happened. We went over and over this last season on the Blazers boards. We were upset about it for a few days, but then we went out and our GM had us the best draft in the league. Even if you ignore the Roy trade....we still pulled out LaMarcus Aldridge and Sergio Rodriguez.

Plus....good lord. Your freaking team has won more championships than any other franchise in professional sports! Outside of maybe the Yankees. You have one of the best small forwards in the league! You won your division just two years ago....You were in the conference finals just a couple years before that! Don't give me this "whoa is me" stuff. This is the one of the deepest drafts ever. Look at who you can get. And go get them! You're the freaking BOSTON CELTICS. Not the LA Clippers!

David Stern hates the Celtics. Remember when Reggie Lewis died, the NBA gave the Celtics zero relief, and also made the Celts keep Lewis' cap space on the team until his contract ran out?

Ah, the Dave Gavitt damage control myth. The one that says the lack of cap relief was unfairly applied to the Celtics. Of course, at the time the CBA did not provide cap relief under any circumstances - death, career ending injury, etc. They got the same treatment every team was getting at the time when players had reasons that ended their career.

It was a cover for Gavitt who was a total incompetent but loved by the media so it has been run with over the years as fact that the Celtics got unfair treatment. Gavitt was the anti-BB with the Boston media - a slacker who spent more time playing golf with his cronies than trying to run the team but was teflon because he retruned any reporters calls. Doc Rivers is the same way today.

This whole thing stinks of a set up. The worst 3 records were punished for tanking. Portland and Seattle had the two lowest fan bases and so the league gave them the 2 top picks in order to revive those teams.
Yeah.. sure... because the NBA would rather send 2 future stars to Portland and Seattle over, say, Chicago, Philly, Atlanta or Boston.

Yeah, that makes sense :rolleyes:

Fire Ainge right now, tonight.

He let it get to this quagmire (trading for Lafrentz, Wally and Telfair). This franchise needs a clean slate. I am so pissed.

Ainge isn't the problem. the 15+ years before he got here were. Look where Ainge has drafted, and look at the talentless roster he inherrited. Sure Aquiring Lafrentz was a bad move, but it's not like we were headed anywhere good at that point. To this point, Ainge's highest pick was #13, save for the #7 he traded last year. BTW, Roy is a Ron Mercer wannabe, remember that. Ainge has an eye for talent.

The end result is, the Celts will have a new player who is either a starter or in the rotation (hopefully at least a sixth man). I don't see Danny going for a rookie who needs development, which rules out quite a few of the top players. I could see a trade for a very good veteran who would start giving the Celts a good starting five. Pierce is exceptional, Jefferson is on the verge of being a force night in and out, X player in trade, could mean Wally is the fourth best player starting. I'm just trying to keep my food down.

We have a point guard, we drafted Brandon Roy...wait, we traded that pick for Bassy Telfair and Tank Johnson's arsenal that Telfair brings with him everywhere.

Ainge didn't trade Telfair for Roy as much as he traded Lafrentz's $36 million over 3 years for Roy. Plus, Ainge drafted Rondo at #23 who will be far better than Roy in a couple of years. How did Ainge get Rondo? By trading Jiri Welsch to Cleveland for a 1st round pick. Ainge wanted Rondo in the lottery as he liked him better than those players available at #7. Ainge's trades are mediocre, but his eye for talent is uncanny.

Just goes to show, I suppose, that trying to lose as many games as possible almost never works.

Besides, any team that trades #7 for Sebastian Telfair isn't exactly making its own luck, either. Or drafting Marcus Banks instead of Luke Ridnour. That Telfair trade will go down as one of the worst deals in franchise, and recent league, history. Ownership should never have allowed Ainge to pull the trigger on that one.

They traded $36 million for #7 and still got their man at #23 in Rondo. Roy is overrated. Ainge never liked him. Ron Mercer.

i don't buy it. Greg Oden and Kevin Durant are going to be megastars in the NBA. Sticking them in the Northwest is going to do ZERO for marketing this league. You couldn't have picked two more moribund franchises for them to play at. the only ones with more snooze factor are the Jazz, the Hornets, the Milwaukee Bucks.

This is horrible for the NBA because these two guys are lights out fantastic college players.

Stars are marketable whereever they go. Do you think Cleveland is a marquee city? San Antonio? Great players + winning = marketability.

Wait a minute...you made my points...he IS a sad excuse....to me more like Pitino in green...
I will NEVER forget about Pitino..he came in as a savior..and I believed it all..in teh early days of the net for me...I came across someone from Kentucky in a chatroom...RP had been just been in Boston for a few years coaching..but still there was great hope here From what he said, he felt that RP was MORE of a used car salesman and just that all hype no substance and...well how did it turn out??
Ainge is just teh same..only in Green..I ALSO feel bad for Pierce..get out leave..they'll be many years before you see "deep into the playoffs".. Ainge has NO idea what it takes to make up a team..ZERO....closer to the old Clippers..than anything else....and Walker and Pierce made it...but??? Say bye bye Danny...

Danny Ainge is Rick Pitino? Do you even know basketball?

Ainge isn't the problem. the 15+ years before he got here were. .......Ainge has an eye for talent.
I do not see Ainge as having done anything good...an eye for talent? That is silly...for it takes MORE to win a championship than talent....He knows ZERO about what it takes for a team to be built and win. The team he took over and dismantled
piece by piece was a lot closer to a championship than anything he has done...He clearly is pitiful as a GM. Ask teh Clippers about winning and what it takes..talent..seems like they havea lot..drafting and getting players but they still are miles away.

i agree
go take a look at his drafts and see the players picked around the guys we got
one time he did get lucky though, if robert swift were also available when jefferson was picked we prob woulda taken swift
Ainge amazing?? he's feeble and knows little about what it takes for a team to be built.."amazing" drafts?? That's why the team still is pitiful;...they had role players before..knew how to play D and play as a team..and he broke that up..HIS way has done little for the team..the quicker he is gone..the quicker the team will win a championship..

Last edited:
i agree

Jefferson was a great pick.

Except for that - what is the amazing part?

The 2006 draft? It was a complete disaster where Danny used 2 #1 picks (one the 7th overall) and now has Rondo to show for it.

Is it Gerald Green a talented kid who fell into their lap and has yet to show any understanding of how to play basketball?

For all the talk about Ainge's drafting skills he has picked 1 guy who should be starting in the NBA. West, Gomes, Perkins, Allen, etc. are nice 6-9th men on a good team. They only play so many minutes in Boston because Danny's trades that were supposed to get starters have not worked.

You know what is amazing - the Patriots get more criticism for their personnel moves in this town than the Celtics. The only possible reason for that is that Danny is media freindly. His resume is that of a guy who should be fired.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back