PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Stallworth to Ravens 1 year, $900,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Stallworth to Ravens 1 year, $900,000

Based on not wanting to recycle a guy who faded badly at the end of his last run with the team? A guy coming off of a vehicular manslaughter charge? A guy who hasn't played football in a year? A guy who hasn't EVER had a 1000 yard season? A guy who is both injury prone and a career underachiever?

Totally ridiculous statement. Stallworth may be an upgrade over what the Pats have now, but that's not saying all that much. Are we going to cry doom and gloom every time a FA WR signs elsewhere? Or is it just the ex-Pat retreads who fill us with a sense of nostalgia for the "good ol' days"?

See, its posts like these that give Pats fans a bad rep. When we heard this guy was available, we all wanted to bring him in again and give him another shot. Now that he has signed with another team, all we can say is he is 'both injury prone and a career underachiever".

Why does it always have to be like this?

Sorry for Wanting a guy that came cheap and had over 800 yards with the pats 2 seasons ago. You guys will bash me, yet wont bash belichick for spending more money on an 37 year old reciever coming off a bad year and no history in the system. Same people who think 9 hundred k for stallworth is some huge risk, yet have no problem That BB spent 3 mill on a glass rb in taylor, only to you guessed it..see him get hurt in week 5 and waste his roster spot all year just so he can get zero carries in the playoffs. This team has become a bunch of procrastinators. They have so many of thier own contracts to worry about they will be handcuffed. I hope im wrong.

No you are right....The Patriots troubles with having to secure contracts internally will probably hurt this offseason because they indeed are handicapped with more important things to do like take care of thier players currently ON THE ROSTER before anything else is done.

Bottom line is while dreamers here want fancy shmancy guys like Dansby and Peppers and want an allstar squad on defense like stuff that is made up on the Madden video game,they simply don't understand smart teams take care of thier players first and whatever is left after that is done they may go and take a look at them...unfortunately by the time this team has satisfied Wilfork,Brady,Bodden and anyone else that most of the bigger named guys should be off the table.

Of course the Pats WILL go after players in FA, but it will most likely be the normal valued players that are left at that time such as Jason Taylor - I wish fans would stop thinking this was the 2007 offseason all over again..its not - at least in 07 most of the top players on this team were still locked up,not the same this year.

Last edited:

See, its posts like these that give Pats fans a bad rep. When we heard this guy was available, we all wanted to bring him in again and give him another shot. Now that he has signed with another team, all we can say is he is 'both injury prone and a career underachiever".

Most of us have always said that it's not a great idea (note that doesn't mean he couldn't have helped, but it's not like this is breaking news). Don't mistake a divide in the fanbase as a contradiction amongst the fans. Unless you have specific examples of specific fans being FOR and then AGAINST getting Stallworth, then you are just making things up.

If you were relying on a guy who has been out of football to bolster the receiver core then you were shooting pretty damn low to begin with. It's February 17 btw...

Last edited:
Sorry for Wanting a guy that came cheap and had over 800 yards with the pats 2 seasons ago. You guys will bash me, yet wont bash belichick for spending more money on an 37 year old reciever coming off a bad year and no history in the system. Same people who think 9 hundred k for stallworth is some huge risk, yet have no problem That BB spent 3 mill on a glass rb in taylor, only to you guessed it..see him get hurt in week 5 and waste his roster spot all year just so he can get zero carries in the playoffs. This team has become a bunch of procrastinators. They have so many of thier own contracts to worry about they will be handcuffed. I hope im wrong.

No one is saying it is a "huge risk", but it's Donte' Friggin Stallworth. The guy has never been anything better than "good" and most years is "disappointingly average". To whine about not signing a guy who has a ton of question marks (did he even WANT to come back?) and to extrapolate that hysteria into "the Pats will not be doing much this off season" is absurd.

As for Galloway, yeah he didn't fit, but he was 10 times the player Stallworth ever. Kinda hard to predict that a guy as experienced and as accomplished as Galloway wouldn't be able to pick up the system.

Also kind of amusing that you complain about Fred Taylor's injury problems but are broken up about "I just pulled my hammy again" Stallworth. Complain about Galloway "coming off a bad year", yet Stallworth is coming off of a horrendous and injury plagued year in 2008 and a year suspended from the league.

I guess you're just another joining the "Patriots are cheap and incompetent and don't sign good players because Belichick is a moron" crowd. Any GM deserves some criticism (as they all fail at times), but getting bent out of shape over a washed up, injury prone guy coming out of jail is the height of complaining just to complain.

If Belichick goes into opening day with a WR corps of Moss, Tate, Edelman, Aiken, Stanback (Welker on PUP), then I'll complain (unless Tate shows to be a stud in camp). Forming opinions on the off season at this juncture is pointless, as it hasn't even STARTED yet.

Stallworth is an one trick pony and he is getting to the age (and with a year away from football) that that trick might be slowing down. The guy was only a deep threat which means the Pats could only throw to the guy 1-3 times a game in most cases. He is not a #3 WR and doesn't play special teams. I am for one glad the Pats didn't get him. They need a # 3 WR (possibly a #2) who can catch the ball over the middle and catch in the short passing game. Stallworth wasn't that guy.

Stallworth is both injury prone and an underachiever, and I felt the same way in 2007 when they signed him. In 7 seasons, he has played only 3 full (16 game) seasons and in at least 2 of those "full" years, he battled hamstring/knee problems. Even in college, he had leg injuries

Games played:

As for an underachiever, he was the 13th overall draft pick. For that he has put up:

2 out of 7 years with 50+ catches (2004, 2005)
0 years with 1000 yards
0 years of 10 TDs
2 years of 7+ TDs (2002, 2005)

By virtually any definition, Stallworth has been a bust as a former mid 1st round pick.

How anyone could view the labels of "injury prone" and "underachiever" as anything other than factually correct is beyond me. There's a reason the Saints let him go, there's a reason he lasted only one year in Philly and there's a reason New England was able to pick him up fairly cheaply and then moved on after 2007. The guy has never lived up to the considerable hype he had coming out of college and can't consistently stay on the field.

Now, how is the "injury prone underachiever" label inaccurate?

Most of us have always said that it's not a great idea (note that doesn't mean he couldn't have helped, but it's not like this is breaking news). Don't mistake a divide in the fanbase as a contradiction amongst the fans. Unless you have specific examples of specific fans being FOR and then AGAINST getting Stallworth, then you are just making things up.

If you were relying on a guy who has been out of football to bolster the receiver core then you were shooting pretty damn low to begin with. It's February 17 btw...

Im not saying i would necessarily want him, but from what i saw in the stallworth is available thread, it seemed like a majority of the fans on there were at least willing to try it out. Then on the flip side, most of the posts on this thread have been critical of stallworth and basically calling him a washed up bum, more or less. I apologize if i am mistaken, but that just seems to be the vibe im getting...

Im not saying i would necessarily want him, but from what i saw in the stallworth is available thread, it seemed like a majority of the fans on there were at least willing to try it out. Then on the flip side, most of the posts on this thread have been critical of stallworth and basically calling him a washed up bum, more or less. I apologize if i am mistaken, but that just seems to be the vibe im getting...

This post started with an over the top statement that because they didn't get Stallworth they weren't going to do anything in FA this year... hence the barrage of set-you-straight comments. Still there is no flip flopping here, Stallworth is simply not a big deal aside from the nostalgia of 2007 team that he was a -part- of. He's never been 'great' and he's coming off of injuries and jail, this is a non-story.

I said it once and I will say it again...

This team will draft a WR on day one and it will be within the first 2 picks and this player that is chosen,like Brandon Tate will be expected to be a starting caliber player by opening day since there is little talent on the roster after Moss and Welker who probalby won't be back till the snow flies again ....there will be no wait and see approach to the player this team drafts at this position,this guy will be asked to make an impact and hope that he works out - THERE IS A PERCY HARVIN OUT THERE IN THIS YEARS DRAFT AND BELICHICK NEEDS TO FIND HIM.

I expect Watson to be released,so a TE could be another pick after round 4

Last edited:

Stallworth is both injury prone and an underachiever, and I felt the same way in 2007 when they signed him. In 7 seasons, he has played only 3 full (16 game) seasons and in at least 2 of those "full" years, he battled hamstring/knee problems. Even in college, he had leg injuries

Games played:

As for an underachiever, he was the 13th overall draft pick. For that he has put up:

2 out of 7 years with 50+ catches (2004, 2005)
0 years with 1000 yards
0 years of 10 TDs
2 years of 7+ TDs (2002, 2005)

By virtually any definition, Stallworth has been a bust as a former mid 1st round pick.

How anyone could view the labels of "injury prone" and "underachiever" as anything other than factually correct is beyond me. There's a reason the Saints let him go, there's a reason he lasted only one year in Philly and there's a reason New England was able to pick him up fairly cheaply and then moved on after 2007. The guy has never lived up to the considerable hype he had coming out of college and can't consistently stay on the field.

Now, how is the "injury prone underachiever" label inaccurate?

Im not saying it isn't, and im not accusing you of all of a sudden turning your back on him. Im just saying that about a week ago, a large portion of pats fans were willing to give him a second chance. Then once news that another team has signed him comes out, everyone hates him and cuts ties with him all together...im not attacking any individual person on this subject, but Pats fans as a whole tend to react this way. Im sure im not the only one that has noticed. i've even been guilty of it from time to time as well, but it seems to happen everytime we dont sign a FA nowadays...

I said it once and I will say it again...

This team will draft a WR on day one and it will be within the first 2 picks and this player that is chosen,like Brandon Tate will be expected to be a starting caliber player by opening day since there is little talent on the roster after Moss and Welker who probalby won't be back till the snow flies again ....there will be no wait and see approach to the player this team drafts at this position,this guy will be asked to make an impact and hope that he works out.

I expect Watson to be released,so a TE could be another pick after round 4

Watson is a UFA I believe, and I'd guess he is headed to Denver (assuming they dump Tony "Can't wait for our season to be over" Scheffler) or Kansas City. I would bet on Belichick taking at least one TE in round 2 or 4 (although I expect BB will trade a 2nd for a 3rd + another pick)

I wouldn't have minded seeing Stallworth brought back as a WR4 until it looked like Tate was ready to be inserted into that role. As of right now, we need to fill two WR spots. That would be Aiken's WR3 spot and Welker's spot until he feels as if he's fully ready to go. If Welker can go at the start of the season, Stallworth would have been a good option to go into camp with. He had already played in the system before and if Welker showed that he could start from Week 1, we could have just let Stallworth go. For $900,000 there wouldn't be any significant risk involved. If Welker was not ready to go, we could have just went with Stallworth in multiple receiver packages until Welker was ready to come back. It was a no lose situation to bring him in, IMO... especially considering that we still don't have the slightest clue of what we have in Tate. But, alas, the offseason is far from over and I'm sure there will be other receivers with just as much (if not more) natural talent as Stallworth. They just won't all come as cheap as he did.

Watson is a UFA I believe, and I'd guess he is headed to Denver (assuming they dump Tony "Can't wait for our season to be over" Scheffler) or Kansas City. I would bet on Belichick taking at least one TE in round 2 or 4 (although I expect BB will trade a 2nd for a 3rd + another pick)

Watson IS an UFA...When I said released,I should have said let go and not resign

This team is well noted to be done with interest in Mr.Watson

Im not saying it isn't, and im not accusing you of all of a sudden turning your back on him. Im just saying that about a week ago, a large portion of pats fans were willing to give him a second chance. Then once news that another team has signed him comes out, everyone hates him and cuts ties with him all together...im not attacking any individual person on this subject, but Pats fans as a whole tend to react this way. Im sure im not the only one that has noticed. i've even been guilty of it from time to time as well, but it seems to happen everytime we dont sign a FA nowadays...

Pats fans as a whole don't act any way. Pats fans as a whole is a group of a whole bunch of individuals. If 50 people hate him and 50 people love him, that doesn't mean as a whole they can't make up their mind.

Im not saying it isn't, and im not accusing you of all of a sudden turning your back on him. Im just saying that about a week ago, a large portion of pats fans were willing to give him a second chance. Then once news that another team has signed him comes out, everyone hates him and cuts ties with him all together...im not attacking any individual person on this subject, but Pats fans as a whole tend to react this way. Im sure im not the only one that has noticed. i've even been guilty of it from time to time as well, but it seems to happen everytime we dont sign a FA nowadays...[/QUOTE]

No one "hates" him (and I'm not sure how we can "cut ties" with him). He has a lot of baggage (off the field stuff, rust from not playing for a year, injuries, underachieving). He would have all of that baggage whether or not he signed in New England. I wouldn't have cared if they gave him a look and brought him in, but anyone getting upset over a marginal player like Stallworth signing with another team is being irrational.

I can't wait for Branch to end up with some other team and the wailing and cries of "Belichick is a cheap incompetent ego-maniacal jackass!" will start all over again. Of course some (including myself) would be quick to point out that Branch left on fairly bad terms and has been a total and abject failure in Seattle and we'll be criticized for "hating on" Branch at that juncture.

This talk about Stallworth is really unimportant..this guy would not make a lick of difference in this years team.

Stallworth at this point in his career is slightly...and I mean slightly above the level of Aiken

People who envision Stallworth to be a #3 or higher are pure idiots,he is not talented enough to be anything but a #4 depth in talent,he never was - definately one of the most overated WRs of this decade

This talk about Stallworth is really unimportant..this guy would not make a lick of difference in this years team.

Stallworth at this point in his career is slightly...and I mean slightly above the level of Aiken

People who envision Stallworth to be a #3 or higher are pure idiots,he is not talented enough to be anything but a #4 depth in talent,he never was - definately one of the most overated WRs of this decade

Pretty accurate post IMO.

Pats fans as a whole don't act any way. Pats fans as a whole is a group of a whole bunch of individuals. If 50 people hate him and 50 people love him, that doesn't mean as a whole they can't make up their mind.

there are a lots of patriots fans with a "the sky is falling" mentality. when things they want to happen dont happen, they take their ball and go home. not saying its right or that i agree with them, but ive noticed this in the past.

Last edited:
When Plaxico comes back next season I would love the team to take a chance on him,The guy is still an immense talent even at his age and Stallworth couldn't hold a jock to Burress.

BTW: I think the sentence on Plaxico was pretty harsh but in NY it is what it is.

When Plaxico comes back next season I would love the team to take a chance on him,The guy is still an immense talent even at his age and Stallworth couldn't hold a jock to Burress.

BTW: I think the sentence on Plaxico was pretty harsh but in NY it is what it is.

Do we need guys like that in the locker room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes