PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Stallworth to Ravens 1 year, $900,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the major contracts the Pats have to deal with internally it would not surprise me if the FA Market is not a big deal in NE,This team will take care of thier players FIRST before going out shopping.

The 2010 team is going to rely on new rookies to make an immediate impact and an improvement over last years team IMO

This team is NOT going spending frenzy crazy in FA,I can 150% guarantee you that - Any player chosen in FA will come at a valued tag and if its a big name then its because he wants to play here and take a little less than other offers

People take the no cap year as a year to go nuts in spending money...Kraft will surely not do that,expecially with an unsecured CBA.

Cousin, We have been that "value" route and it worked once but not anymore. Please Cousin, look at the makeup of the Saints. Are the Saints in the Super Bowl without the decent trades and FA pickups? Please note:

Brees
Vilma
D. Thomas for crying out loud!
Shockey
Sharper
Fujita
Randall Gay for crying out loud
Heath Evans and Eckle for crying out loud
Shanle
Jabari Greer
and more

If you think this Pats team turns around by sticking some Rookies in some starting spots on the roster when we all know that BB is reluctant to do that, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

Take a look at out 07 Roster. We had picked up some very important FA's and Trades (even AD!) and we did a little history. Please name the 07 Rookies that were significant in percentage of plays?

There will be more trades this year than the last ten because of the dead CBA which created the six year rule as result.

Spend? Yes if he wants to have a better team in 2010, RK MUST come up with a few toys. It takes three years for a Rookie in our system for the most part but Mayo. And he probably would not have started if we had someone the least bit talented with experience. It was necessity there.

You tell me. Do we have three years for Brady to wait on these kids we Draft in 2010? If we come up with five "blue chip" kids, two of them may see significant playing time would be my guess as in most of the NFL. The question to you is will two kids make the 2010 Patriots a better team? Answer....Not even close!

If RK and BB think so too I have a bridge in....never mind.

No way can they not pick up significant players for this Team in 2010. They actually are set up to do just that with some extra cash. Now that you can dump some salaries like AD and even Light in trades without CAP repercussions, it makes sense. Look at what we paid Green as an example too.

I am not saying flood the roster, but a little mix of new and old work.

Some trades that could make perfect sense like:

1-SD=Cromartie for Maroney-Absolutely no brainer for both sides. Fox Sports said this about Maroney prior to the Draft "Not dazzling as an elusive runner, but has exceptional one-cut-and-go ability. Maroney is best when he can reach the corners, where he can utilize his acceleration and burst with more effectiveness. Upright and sometimes overly patient running style." Wasn't LT a one cut and go type RB? Isn't SD a place for Maroney then?

2-Washington=Santana Moss and Chris Cooley for a swap of our #22 first round for their #37 second so they can grab a QB late in round one because none in this Draft may be worth that number 5 pick, and maybe add A.D. and Slater (both huge Washington needs as in KR and OLB opposite Orapko and Snyder isn't scared by salaries). It could be forced like an NBA trade for AD. You fill your #3 WR with a 30 year old smart, durable and experienced player like Moss who had 70 receptions in 2009 with a weak passing Team and get your need with a superb passing catching TE who could flex like Clark and is 250 lbs. He can block probably no worse than Watson but he is a major upgrade there and only 27.

3-AZ=Anquan Bolden for Matt Light and a lower pick (LT is a major AZ need). Why give up a pcik if both teams needs are served and I want Bolden who is a team leader on the Pats in 2010.

4-Tenn=LenDale White for Wihite (a major Titan need). 1,100 YARDS TWO YEARS AGO AND HE IS ONLY 26! Between the tackle RB who can catch very well (see Maroney).

5-NYG=Osi Yumenyiora for Pryor and Sanders (far fetched but Osi wants out and we trade two starters that the G Men have holes for at DT and Safety so that they can plug them in now and who are still young and under contract). Osi is pouting because the Big Blue did not start him. We'll take him! He is 28 and still has years.

6-Phil=RFA Chris Gocong for a pick or player du jour. Philly will move him. Was miscast as a 4-3 DE from day one in Philly. 6'2" 263 lbs. He does a 4.7 flat 40 and 38 1/2 vertical. 4.08 short shuttle which is a BB target stat (that year Leon Washington had a 4.37) I see a former DE turned middle LB with three years NFL experience under his belt (Teddy! only bigger and faster). There is you SILB of the future to put next to Mayo perhaps? It has been stated that he is much more suitable as a 3-4 player(perhaps the Vrabel or Willie M spot for OLB?). He is only 26.

7-Minn=Ray Edwards (RFA) for a pick or player. It would have to be sweet for Minn. but BB wanted this kid in that Draft. I think if he could do a poison pill offer sheet on Chilly (some of his own medicine) BB would not hesitate to nail him.

As far as FA's go yes Peppers makes this Team better on paper day one, whether you like him or not.

Kampman could be a great fit.

Pierce could be a great add if healthy until McKenzie or "?" is ready (unless the Gocong piece works)

Think of these as possibilities. Are you still thinking Draft to fill all the holes that these, even one or two of them, can fill?

DW Toys

Re: Stallworth to Ravens 1 year, $900,000

Every time...bank on it. When the ex Pat retreads who fill us with a sense of nostalgia for the good ol' days sign elsewhere it's just a little more evenly split between wailing and bashing...
You mean I can't do both?

Stallworth is not that good anymore IMO

I think Brady had many weapons in 2007 but I noticed on more than one occasion that Brady and Stallworth never hit it off,It was sort of like the Galloway situation in fact IIRC Gaffney as a #4 produced better than Stallworth in 07.

Stallworth would have been another WR waste if he had come back here...I have no doubts.

Deion Branch is a totally different story,He has proven to have been one of Tom's favorite targets of all the WRs who played here in the decade and would no doubt show us a glimpse of the past if he came back.

Here's the difference. The Seahawks are expected to keep and trade Deion, Stallworth could have strolled in here at a palty 900K, filled a huge void opposite Moss, would have been motivated to the hilt (he is out to make ammends and rebuild himself). Instead we would rather tender the likes of Pierre Stiff Woods for 1.8Million, ya this makes a whole of sense !

Are the Saints in the Super Bowl without the decent trades and FA pickups? Please note:

Darren Sharper
Heath Evans
Kyle Eckle
Jabari Greer

Of the players you listed, those were the only players they added during the 2009 off-season, everyone else you named was on the 8-8 team the previous season.

Well, at least Stallworth won't have to be the only guy in the locker room who's killed somebody.

Do we need guys like that in the locker room?

I really don't know if he is in the same catagory as a Pacman Jones ect:...I think Belichick would make him an honest hard working player.

Just a hunch. This team needs help at wr, stallworth would of been some nice depth.

WR was a potential area for a first round draft choice last year... it's certainly something I'm sure the team is considering either in the draft or via trade. I'm also expecting to see some action at RB... doesn't look like there's a lot in the draft so that's another area where a trade might be the best option.

Baltimore is a good place for Stallworth - good access to public transportation!

Well, at least Stallworth won't have to be the only guy in the locker room who's killed somebody.

Thats cold dude.... For Lewis that is,not Donte :)

Here's the difference. The Seahawks are expected to keep and trade Deion, Stallworth could have strolled in here at a palty 900K, filled a huge void opposite Moss, would have been motivated to the hilt (he is out to make ammends and rebuild himself). Instead we would rather tender the likes of Pierre Stiff Woods for 1.8Million, ya this makes a whole of sense !

What are you basing this on? Stallworth hasn't been a #2 WR since maybe 2004 or 2005.

I'm sure BB would have spend the $900,000 on Stallworth (or any decent WR) if he thought that it was a good fit. Problem is, Stallworth isn't particularly good and comes with a lot of baggage. No amount of saying "He's a good #2 WR, a true threat!" will make it so. Should we just ignore his track record of injuries? His awful 2008 season? Oh, that's right, he ran someone over so now he is "motivated to the hilt". Never mind that he has turned in mediocre years in all of his "motivating" contract seasons.

Cousin, We have been that "value" route and it worked once but not anymore. Please Cousin, look at the makeup of the Saints. Are the Saints in the Super Bowl without the decent trades and FA pickups? Please note:

Brees
Vilma
Shockey
Sharper
Fujita
Shanle
Jabari Greer
and more

If you think this Pats team turns around by sticking some Rookies in some starting spots on the roster when we all know that BB is reluctant to do that, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

Take a look at out 07 Roster. We had picked up some very important FA's and Trades (even AD!) and we did a little history. Please name the 07 Rookies that were significant in percentage of plays?

There will be more trades this year than the last ten because of the dead CBA which created the six year rule as result.

Spend? Yes if he wants to have a better team in 2010, RK MUST come up with a few toys. It takes three years for a Rookie in our system for the most part but Mayo. And he probably would not have started if we had someone the least bit talented with experience. It was necessity there.

You tell me. Do we have three years for Brady to wait on these kids we Draft in 2010? If we come up with five "blue chip" kids, two of them may see significant playing time would be my guess as in most of the NFL. The question to you is will two kids make the 2010 Patriots a better team? Answer....Not even close!

No way can they not pick up significant players for this Team in 2010. They actually are set up to do just that with some extra cash. Now that you can dump some salaries like AD and even Light in trades without CAP repercussions, it makes sense. Look at what we paid Green as an example too.

1-SD=Cromartie for Maroney-Absolutely no brainer for both sides. Fox Sports said this about Maroney prior to the Draft "Not dazzling as an elusive runner, but has exceptional one-cut-and-go ability. Maroney is best when he can reach the corners, where he can utilize his acceleration and burst with more effectiveness. Upright and sometimes overly patient running style." Wasn't LT a one cut and go type RB? Isn't SD a place for Maroney then?

2-Washington=Santana Moss and Chris Cooley for a swap of our #22 first round for their #37 second so they can grab a QB late in round one because none in this Draft may be worth that number 5 pick, and maybe add A.D. and Slater (both huge Washington needs as in KR and OLB opposite Orapko and Snyder isn't scared by salaries). It could be forced like an NBA trade for AD. You fill your #3 WR with a 30 year old smart, durable and experienced player like Moss who had 70 receptions in 2009 with a weak passing Team and get your need with a superb passing catching TE who could flex like Clark and is 250 lbs. He can block probably no worse than Watson but he is a major upgrade there and only 27.

3-AZ=Anquan Bolden for Matt Light and a lower pick (LT is a major AZ need). Why give up a pcik if both teams needs are served and I want Bolden who is a team leader on the Pats in 2010.

4-Tenn=LenDale White for Wihite (a major Titan need). 1,100 YARDS TWO YEARS AGO AND HE IS ONLY 26! Between the tackle RB who can catch very well (see Maroney).

5-NYG=Osi Yumenyiora for Pryor and Sanders (far fetched but Osi wants out and we trade two starters that the G Men have holes for at DT and Safety so that they can plug them in now and who are still young and under contract). Osi is pouting because the Big Blue did not start him. We'll take him! He is 28 and still has years.

6-Phil=RFA Chris Gocong for a pick or player du jour. Philly will move him. Was miscast as a 4-3 DE from day one in Philly. 6'2" 263 lbs. He does a 4.7 flat 40 and 38 1/2 vertical. 4.08 short shuttle which is a BB target stat (that year Leon Washington had a 4.37) I see a former DE turned middle LB with three years NFL experience under his belt (Teddy! only bigger and faster). There is you SILB of the future to put next to Mayo perhaps? It has been stated that he is much more suitable as a 3-4 player(perhaps the Vrabel or Willie M spot for OLB?). He is only 26.

7-Minn=Ray Edwards (RFA) for a pick or player. It would have to be sweet for Minn. but BB wanted this kid in that Draft. I think if he could do a poison pill offer sheet on Chilly (some of his own medicine) BB would not hesitate to nail him.

As far as FA's go yes Peppers makes this Team better on paper day one, whether you like him or not.

Pierce could be a great add if healthy until McKenzie or "?" is ready (unless the Gocong piece works)

Think of these as possibilities. Are you still thinking Draft to fill all the holes that these, even one or two of them, can fill?

DW Toys

I'd almost forgotten you cousin, the most annoying occurrance of the offseason...

The team the Saints lost to had nary a FA on the roster, well...except for the guy who muffed recovering the onside kick that shifted momentum...

What are you basing this on? Stallworth hasn't been a #2 WR since maybe 2004 or 2005.

I'm sure BB would have spend the $900,000 on Stallworth (or any decent WR) if he thought that it was a good fit. Problem is, Stallworth isn't particularly good and comes with a lot of baggage. No amount of saying "He's a good #2 WR, a true threat!" will make it so. Should we just ignore his track record of injuries? His awful 2008 season? Oh, that's right, he ran someone over so now he is "motivated to the hilt". Never mind that he has turned in mediocre years in all of his "motivating" contract seasons.

Stallworth was a #1 WR in NO and Philly and hamstringed his way out. He comes to us in 2007 and by all accounts I thought accounted himself pretty well in an offense that had Moss and Welker, I have no issues with the job Donte did here in 2007 how can anyone argue that ? Matter of fact, I feel he had a major roll in pulling coverages more towards the middle of the field to help free up Moss for his 23TDs.

He goes to Cleveland (we couldn't match his option to retain him at 7M) and his production goes down due to the likes of two crappy QB's wearing orange helmets. He's now grateful that he's getting a 2nd chance to make ammends. Watch what he does for the Ravens this year. A steal he was at 900K. Instead BB would rather tender twice that amount on Pierre Woods. Again, makes no effin sense to me.

Last edited:

Brees
Vilma
Shockey
Sharper
Fujita
Shanle
Jabari Greer
and more

DW Toys

I respect your opinion but theres no way IMO this team picks up a large salary unless its a real good trade deal and the Pats feel its worth it or the player does a Randy Moss and takes a little less to join a team of the decade.

I do think that some of our rookies drafted,especially the top picks will need to provide some good depth if this team is to go anywhere in 2010

The days of letting rookies sit back and let the veterans go at it is not as it was,this team is in need of some talented youth and the depth and veteran leadership is also needed. - No one is saying a rookie will dominate his position but there is always a Percy Harvin or an Adrian Peterson or even a marquis Colston in the draft who really changes his first pro team around and we need to hit a jackpot in the draft - there are also cheaper not so big name free agents that will add a good veteran presence to help.

In other words,Belichick and his staff in making decisions this offseason have to be pretty damn good in getting the right players to fit and to get this team back to an elite level,its not going to be easy but we can all hope he hits on at least 80% of his moves - we cannot afford another poor offseason or making bad moves with players with atttudes or getting players ready to go on social security.

We need better offseason transactions than Adalius Thomas contract deals and Chad Jackson type drafts for instance in the past 4 years,no one knows what they get when they make moves so you just have to hope its the right move - We hit on Welker and Gaffney and lost on guys like Thomas,every move is a guessing game.

Like I said before,some of the fans in this forum are hoping the Pats make these crazy deals and add 3 or 4 allstar high priced players...not going to happen,this is not a PS3 Madden game that uses bogus money...this is real and I don't think Kraft will open the Vault as wide as some think unless its for Wilfork or Brady - expect FA deals,just not front page news.

Last edited:
I respect your opinion but theres no way IMO this team picks up a large salary unless its a real good trade deal and the Pats feel its worth it or the player does a Randy Moss and takes a little less to join a team of the decade.

I do think that some of our rookies drafted,especially the top picks will need to provide some good depth if this team is to go anywhere in 2010

The days of letting rookies sit back and let the veterans go at it is not as it was,this team is in need of some talented youth and the depth and veteran leadership is also needed. - No one is saying a rookie will dominate his position but there is always a Percy Harvin or an Adrian Peterson or even a marquis Colston in the draft who really changes his first pro team around and we need to hit a jackpot in the draft - there are also cheaper not so big name free agents that will add a good veteran presence to help.

In other words,Belichick and his staff in making decisions this offseason have to be pretty damn good in getting the right players to fit and to get this team back to an elite level,its not going to be easy but we can all hope he hits on at least 80% of his moves - we cannot afford another poor offseason or making bad moves with players with atttudes or getting players ready to go on social security.

We need better offseason transactions than Adalius Thomas contract deals and Chad Jackson type drafts for instance in the past 4 years,no one knows what they get when they make moves so you just have to hope its the right move - We hit on Welker and Gaffney and lost on guys like Thomas,every move is a guessing game.

Like I said before,some of the fans in this forum are hoping the Pats make these crazy deals and add 3 or 4 allstar high priced players...not going to happen,this is not a PS3 Madden game that uses bogus money...this is real and I don't think Kraft will open the Vault as wide as some think unless its for Wilfork or Brady.

I respect your opinion but the mid tier value adds have not been good the last few years. Keep 07 in mind as it was a year to remember where we got a few higher profile pick ups and trades that worked out. We need way more than just a couple rookies. We do not have the depth at some positions as in the past. Those trades I mentioned will not affect our financial status in most cases as example Cooley has a contract until 2013 and Moss until 2011 and by then Welker is back at full song. Pierce should be reasonable. Gocong is under contract and so is White. Bolden and Peppers will cost but the Pats actually are in good shape there this year. Light for Bolden will be close to a wash (Bolden will cost more yes). Cromartie for Maroney is great for both teams as underachievers go.

I am talking about trading as in contracts which will happen this year versus pure FA signs for the most part. I agree paying for Peppers, Dansby, Bolden (not an FA) and more as strictly FA pick ups seems unlikely for all that money especially when Wilfork, Mankins, Bodden and Ghost have to get done, but the other teams have the same problems. Hence the call out to make trades with contracts on both sides that you could not do with the former CBA. Understand my thinking? It's fitting the puzzle that will be the make or break on how this shakes out, but we can't count on a half dozen twenty one year old kids.

Unless 2010 is a rebuilding year and we go all kids, we have to have a mix. Brady is not getting younger. He needs tools that can help now, not three years. Correct me if I am wrong but there was only one rookie starter in the Super Bowl between both Teams? I think the Pats roster has changed enough so borderline pick ups won't help. We used to have a base of superior talent and one or two fit in well. We have to get more talented before we grab "value" picks to add to a strong mix. It's like apples and oranges with value picks on the 2010 squad.

Let's face it, up and down the roster the Pats are no longer a top five team talent wise in the NFL. Is that a fair statement? In 07 we were and maybe 03 and 04. It still takes talent to win even with BB.

My point was that the Saints were not in the Super Bowl without their great trades and FA pick ups. Agreed?

RK has to think will just the resigning of Wilfork and Brady lead to more wins and a better team in 2010? Nyet!
DW Toys

Last edited:
I respect your opinion but the mid tier value adds have not been good the last few years. Keep 07 in mind as it was a year to remember where we got a few higher profile pick ups and trades that worked out. We need way more than just a couple rookies. We do not have the depth at some positions as in the past. Those trades I mentioned will not affect our financial status in most cases as example Cooley has a contract until 2013 and Moss until 2011 and by then Welker is back at full song. Pierce should be reasonable. Gocong is under contract and so is White. Bolden and Peppers will cost but the Pats actually are in good shape there this year. Light for Bolden will be close to a wash (Bolden will cost more yes). Cromartie for Maroney is great for both teams as underachievers go.

I am talking about trading as in contracts which will happen this year versus pure FA signs for the most part. I agree paying for Peppers, Dansby, Bolden (not an FA) and more as strictly FA pick ups seems unlikely for all that money especially when Wilfork, Mankins, Bodden and Ghost have to get done, but the other teams have the same problems. Hence the call out to make trades with contracts on both sides that you could not do with the former CBA. Understand my thinking? It's fitting the puzzle that will be the make or break on how this shakes out, but we can't count on a half dozen twenty one year old kids.

Unless 2010 is a rebuilding year and we go all kids, we have to have a mix. Brady is not getting younger. He needs tools that can help now, not three years. Correct me if I am wrong but there was only one rookie starter in the Super Bowl between both Teams? I think the Pats roster has changed enough so borderline pick ups won't help. We used to have a base of superior talent and one or two fit in well. We have to get more talented before we grab "value" picks to add to a strong mix. It's like apples and oranges with value picks on the 2010 squad.

Let's face it, up and down the roster the Pats are no longer a top five team talent wise in the NFL. Is that a fair statement? In 07 we were and maybe 03 and 04. It still takes talent to win even with BB.

My point was that the Saints were not in the Super Bowl without their great trades and FA pick ups. Agreed?

RK has to think will just the resigning of Wilfork and Brady lead to more wins and a better team in 2010? Nyet!
DW Toys

I do agree that just like the Saints did this year and the Patriots did in 2001 shows that you can be an active participant as a team in Free Agency without spending loads of dollars on one player and become a Super Bowl caliber team in a hurry.

Not as easy as it would seem though and the fact that now all 4 teams in the AFC now are running a primary 3-4 gives the Pats more competition than ever to acquire not only good defensive players, but players that will fit this system.

You can't just grab an average guy like Burgess and expect him to have 80 tackles and 10 sacks right off the bat,that was what was expected by some here and I knew that was not going to happen but if you can have 3 or 4 decent not spectacular but not overpriced players and have them perform at a good level then you have something to hang on to.

As far as talent level goes, there is no doubt that 1/3 of the league has caught up to the Patriots level and some have surpassed them...the offseason moves will set them back up among the Elite or set them back downwards towards mediocrity...its a serious offseason for the team and its fans and one that could have a role in making them or breaking them in this new decade and I can't wait for what transpires the next few months!.

Last edited:
This is most entertaining thread I've seen on here since "manning face".

:rocker:

Here's the difference. The Seahawks are expected to keep and trade Deion, Stallworth could have strolled in here at a palty 900K, filled a huge void opposite Moss, would have been motivated to the hilt (he is out to make ammends and rebuild himself). Instead we would rather tender the likes of Pierre Stiff Woods for 1.8 Million, ya this makes a whole of sense!

QFT.

Asked why a useless weakling like Pierre Woods is worth a 2nd-round tender while Dante Stallworth isn't worth $900K, the FO replied:
"ZZZ..."

QFT.

Asked why a useless weakling like Pierre Woods is worth a 2nd-round tender while Dante Stallworth isn't worth $900K, the FO replied:
"ZZZ..."
We've eaten that "toast" before and had no appetite for it again.

New Ravens receiver Donte' Stallworth says he has been timed at 4.3 in the forty-yard dash during recent workouts.
Dudes got Joey Galloway speed :bricks:

Last edited:
THis move is going to help out the Ravens a lot more than the Patriots. For 900k, it's a low risk situation that could help their team a lot. Good gamble for the Ravens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes