PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ot : Spikes Traded To Eagles

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was a lot of money to be paying for Spikes given his injury situation and age. Levy looked at it like more of a salary dump than anything else I think. If Spikes does come back for a year or two, the Eagles will look good....but I wouldn't want to bet on it.

I respect the hell out of Spikes playing ability and all out attitude on the field. But every time I think of achilles injuries,2 players come to mind.

Former Dolphin Tracy Armstrong and Nomar Garciapara. Basically ended Armstrong's career right after getting his fat contract with the Raiders. We all know about Nomar,It took him quite some time to even remotely recover and he isn't half the player he was before the injury. Ofcourse Nomars ended up being a Sheath tear which was more serious. Ster#$%ds.

I also wouldn't be surprised to learn that Garciaparra was on the juice during his early pro career, at the same time that Barroid Bonds started. 25 HR/804 ABs in the minors, then 30 HR/684 ABs, plus another 55 XBH, in 1997. Hmmm...

Thank goodness we are not Bills fans, cannot figure out what that team is doing.. first McGahee, Clements and now Spikes.. the Bills will be a much different team next year.

Old man Wilson and Marv Levy whom the personnel side of the game has passed by are dismantling what little the Bills had. Fixing the OL IS the right move but it's coming at too high an impact to the rest of the team.

The Jets are the only challenge in the AFCE, and that's because they stole away the Puffin.

I feel bad for Takeo. He played his arse off for a bad Cincy team that turned the corner just after he left. To top it off, the Bills teams that he has been on have been true disappointments, particularly the 2003 team.

If he had come to NE back then, we would think of him nearly as highly as we do Rodney, IMHO.

Swapping an older (30yrs) player struggling to recover from a major injury who's due $9mil over the next two years, a guy you may cut anyway, for a starting D-Lineman is a pretty good deal, I'd say. Just ask BB how much he covets D-lineman. Certainly, there's risk on both sides.

Great move by the Iggles. My boys back in Philly are excited. Basically getting a once great linebacker who should be fully recovered from his injury for a bag of donuts.

Plus they get the great Kelly Holcomb as their 3rd stringer

Too bad we can't play Buffalo more than twice in the regular season.

A once-great defense just lost Spikes, Fletcher-Baker, and Clement this offseason. Lot of holes.

Since the baseball references were made, this smacks of a bad baseball trade where one team trades for a big-name, high money, high-rep player and gets the wrong end of the deal. (BTW: As far as Nomar goes, most good minor league hitters show an increase in power numbers (doubles become HR, etc) in the bigs. They mature, add bulk and strength, high pitch speeds aid physics, etc.) I like Spikes, and hope this isn't the case. In contrast to my opening statement, I believe surgery has been improved as the Eagles have a 50/50 shot of getting the upper hand. The potential gain outweighs the loss, to them and the state of the franchise.

Unfortunately, Levy (and Gibbs) has let his love of the game/ego tarnish his legacy in the eyes of his devoted fans. The deal seems fair all around as relatively little was lost by either (including immediate benefits a la cap room, etc) but future benefits may be realized. Honestly, the deal just seems conveniently sloppy and sluggish to me.

Last edited:

A once-great defense just lost Spikes, Fletcher-Baker, and Clement this offseason. Lot of holes.

Now if we can only block Schobel.

Swapping an older (30yrs) player struggling to recover from a major injury who's due $9mil over the next two years, a guy you may cut anyway, for a starting D-Lineman is a pretty good deal, I'd say. Just ask BB how much he covets D-lineman. Certainly, there's risk on both sides.

absolutely spot on. mark my words, bills are the biggest threat to NE's AFC East dominance, not the jets. i mean seriously folks wake up: bills COULD NOT WIN w/ fletcher, spikes and clements. more of the same personnel and approach would have meant more of the same crappy teams.

I don't remember that defense ever being great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call