PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Revis reportedly "furious" with the Jets could Mangold be next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they make those PSL's into chocolate donuts, Ratgini would come back and buy all of them...problem solved!!!..except Blubba Wrecks would probably eat them all first

Mankins reportedly "furious" with the Patriots could Brady be next?

COPY AND PASTA FOR ANY NFL TEAM

What really bugs me is the idea that a guy who signed a 6-year, $30 million rookie contract as a high 1st-round pick is "underpaid" because he played like a high 1st-round pick. This isn't a case of a UDFA who has started every game. Revis was compensated from day 1 like a high-level starter.

Nail. head. Case. Closed.

Of course, I don't think anybody has questioned for a moment why REVIS wants a new deal. The question is, why are the JETS entertaining the notion with 3 years left on the contract -- and when, as you say, the player's stock is at its peak?

Do you realize the Jets approached Revis directly after the AFCC game and expressed interest in redoing his contract?

Why? Because its the right thing to do.

Furthermore, the Jets drafted another CB. Lets say Revis waits 2 years and then wants cash in, but Wilson turns out to be something special and the Jets tell Revis, Ah, no thanks?

Its business. Strike while the iron is hot.

So what happens if there's a rookie salary cap? Won't there be even more jilted palyers holding out that have performed well? In order for it to work it seems that something needs to be done regarding 1st contract players holding out.

Are unsold PSL's keeping the Jets from giving their stars new contracts?

Jets' unsold PSLs likely keeping players' salaries down - NYPOST.com

According to this article, the Jets offered Revis $10 million a year. No wonder he would be upset with the Jets' offer. He should get a contract that makes him one of the highest defensive players in the league. He should get around Asomugha's money of about $15 million a year. What makes Asomugha's contract so ridiculous is more about the short length, the guarantees, the fact that his contract is voided after this season if the Raiders don't guarantee his $16.8 million or the franchise tag value for the QB position (whichever is higher and with Brady, Manning, and Brees possibly getting new deals before the tag tender is set, it should be around $20 million) for 2011, and the fact that Asomugha cannot be franchised after the deal; not the actual average annual salary he is making.

Considering what Peppers got this year and Haynesworth got last year, Revis expecting around $15 million a year is not unreasonable. The Jets offering $10 million a year is insulting no matter how you slice it (Dunta Robinson got $9.5 million a year from the Falcons this offseason and I wouldn't put Robinson in the top 10 for CBs). It is about what Samuel got two years ago from the Eagles and Samuel is not the CB Revis is and the salaries for elite players have jumped exponentially over the last two years.

With 10,000 unsold PSLs and PSLs going from $12,000-$25,000 that means Woody is short something close to 200 million dollars in expected revenue to pay for his half of the stadium. The NFL just made the unprecidented move of scheduling a SB there mainly to stimulate PSL sales but the problem is that in this economy business aren't spending lavishly. The old time fans simply can't afford it. They were used to paying $40 for a halfway decent ticket a decade ago in their Parcells era; the increase is too much for all but multi-millionaires with secure principal.

Last edited:
With 10,000 unsold PSLs and PSLs going from $12,000-$25,000 that means Woody is short something close to 200 million dollars in expected revenue to pay for his half of the stadium. The NFL just made the unprecidented move of scheduling a SB there mainly to stimulate PSL sales but the problem is that in this economy business aren't spending lavishly. The old time fans simply can't afford it. They were used to paying $40 for a halfway decent ticket a decade ago in their Parcells era; the increase is too much for all but multi-millionaires with secure principal.

I'm looking forward to my choice of single-game lower-level sideline tickets for game two. Hopefully right behind the Green Beans bench, so I can heckle LaClassian and Jabba Wrecks. :rocker:

Last edited:
I like this story.

6quu8h.gif

According to this article, the Jets offered Revis $10 million a year. No wonder he would be upset with the Jets' offer. He should get a contract that makes him one of the highest defensive players in the league. He should get around Asomugha's money of about $15 million a year. What makes Asomugha's contract so ridiculous is more about the short length, the guarantees, the fact that his contract is voided after this season if the Raiders don't guarantee his $16.8 million or the franchise tag value for the QB position (whichever is higher and with Brady, Manning, and Brees possibly getting new deals before the tag tender is set, it should be around $20 million) for 2011, and the fact that Asomugha cannot be franchised after the deal; not the actual average annual salary he is making.

Considering what Peppers got this year and Haynesworth got last year, Revis expecting around $15 million a year is not unreasonable. The Jets offering $10 million a year is insulting no matter how you slice it (Dunta Robinson got $9.5 million a year from the Falcons this offseason and I wouldn't put Robinson in the top 10 for CBs). It is about what Samuel got two years ago from the Eagles and Samuel is not the CB Revis is and the salaries for elite players have jumped exponentially over the last two years.

Im not so sure. If he has 3 years left and they are coming to him to hand him a raise, I would think that the offer should be somewhere in the midle of what he is now making and the market. He is under contract, so the team loses nothing holding him to it.
Of course, this is the Jets, and they think that if you tell everyone how great you are, and become the 'favorite' it means something, and that there is some kind of value in the organization trying to prove how good their players are, so they do this kind of stuff, and it backfires, because no player will ever think that the day 'renegotiate' comes up, his current contract means anything and he isn't entitled to the motherload.
Teams that dont just hand over cash all the way to cap hell, fight players who want to renegotiate early, the Jets invite them into the vault.

ESPN - Darrelle Revis sits out plays to protest deal

Revis has all the leverage.

He is invaluable to their defense and is legitimately the best in the league.

"Afterward, Revis stepped up his criticism of the Jets' negotiating tactics, accusing them of breaking promises. He said GM Mike Tannenbaum told him "face to face" the organization wanted to make him the highest-paid cornerback in the NFL. That title belongs to the Oakland Raiders' Nnamdi Asomugha, who averages $15.1 million per year."

LMAO at these spoiled, ego-fed players, being led like sheep to their own slaughter by their agents and union. Only thing is, Revis already has like 20million reasons already in the bank, so he can act this way. Mankins has....his steers?

The Jets have a big problem. The Jets' players witnessed last year in Leon Washington a prime example of what could happen to a player playing the 'good soldier' and playing out their contract year without a new contract and getting injured. That cost Leon a good amount of money.

Leon was not being a good soldier. He decided not to accept a good offer and ended up screwing himself when he got hurt. Big difference between that and being a good soldier, which means that you are asked to play out your contract and get a deal at the end of the season.

"Afterward, Revis stepped up his criticism of the Jets' negotiating tactics, accusing them of breaking promises. He said GM Mike Tannenbaum told him "face to face" the organization wanted to make him the highest-paid cornerback in the NFL. That title belongs to the Oakland Raiders' Nnamdi Asomugha, who averages $15.1 million per year."

LMAO at these spoiled, ego-fed players, being led like sheep to their own slaughter by their agents and union. Only thing is, Revis already has like 20million reasons already in the bank, so he can act this way. Mankins has....his steers?
When you read things like this you wonder if players realize that distribution of wealth is important to team success. Revis is coming across more and more like a me guy who just wants to get paid. You have to wonder if these athletes are concerned with team success at all or just banking cheques and deluding their self importance in the world.

We can argue about set markets all day long but geez greed is a wonderful thing. I'm sure Revis is waiting for Wall Street 2 with great anticipation to listen to the wise words of Gordon Gecko.

Get rich or die tryin' bro.

Last edited:
When you read things like this you wonder if players realize that distribution of wealth is important to team success. Revis is coming across more and more like a me guy who just wants to get paid. You have to wonder if these athletes are concerned with team success at all or just banking cheques and deluding their self importance in the world.

We can argue about set markets all day long but geez greed is a wonderful thing. I'm sure Revis is waiting for Wall Street 2 with great anticipation to listen to the wise words of Gordon Gecko.

Get rich or die tryin' bro.

Players are trying to maximize their earnings. That makes them no different than something like 99% of the workforce and employers.

Players are trying to maximize their earnings. That makes them no different than something like 99% of the workforce and employers.
I appreciate that. I always thought the goal was championships.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back