PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Revis reportedly "furious" with the Jets could Mangold be next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, Wes Welker has led the league in receptions each of the last three seasons and he is nowhere near the highest paid WRs in the league. The Pats have no intention of giving him a new deal even if he didn't blow out his ACL. Welker is way underpaid too.

Welker was in position to make his want for a new contract known this season, however, his injury hurt him both literally and financially. If he can bounce back this year, I think they'll extend him. I just hope it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

But dude, they replaced their starting RB from the #1 rushing offense in the league with LaDainian Tomlinson! They're going to dominate.

LaDainian Tomlinson is not replacing Thomas Jones. He's replacing Shonn Greene as the backup. Shonn Greene is replacing Thomas Jones.

Sorry, it's just one of my pet peeves this offseason when people say this.
Imploding is a bit of an overreaction, let's not forget the only thing that has happened is Revis has skipped out on VOLUNTARY workouts.

No instead I would call this the first few stones falling that will eventually start an avalanche. The Jets are in an odd position, normally when a team has a player locked up for another three years they have all the leverage, however this case is unique.

Revis is an exceptional player and the Jets have obviously put themselves in a win now position. If they don't cave to his demands Revis could easily threaten to hold out until thier bye (week 7) and that could potentially derail the whole season.

The Jets need this year because they have PSLs to sell, so I think they sign him at around 16M, but no matter what happens I'm fairly confident they won't be in a position to compete in 2011.
Football is hard enough to predict on a year to year basis and now you're predicting what will happen two years from now? Sorry, that's ridiculous.

Revis can hold out if he chooses. He is under contract for the next three years. One mil this year and the Jets have a $20 million option for the next two years after that. Now I still think he'll get paid because the Jets have made him a priority, but if he doesn't, what is he gonna do...sit on the bench for 3 years? I think the Jets do hold a bit of leverage.

I agree with what you said about the avalanche. That is what I'm worried about. However, right now it is too early to make further judgments. It's still gonna be a long offseason and we'll see what happens around training camp time.

LOL anyone watching NFL Live right now? They have Ty Law talking about poor Revis not having a huge contract and then they suddenly just start talking about the patriots window for a championship closing. BSPN at its best :rolleyes:

Thomas Jones is slow, old, and has no moves.

He was a product of the offensive line.

The offensive line was so good that Jones was wildly productive before they even came together for two different teams. That is how good they were.

Gotta love Jets fans. This time last year, they felt he was the most underrated players in the NFL and one of the best backs. Now that he is gone, he is just a product of the o-line (which is not as good as it was last year with Fanaca gone).

Welker was in position to make his want for a new contract known this season, however, his injury hurt him both literally and financially. If he can bounce back this year, I think they'll extend him. I just hope it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Welker wouldn;t have asked for nor would have gotten a contract this offseason. Welker is signed through 2011. So he is scheduled to be considered for a new contract anyway after this season.

The offensive line was so good that Jones was wildly productive before they even came together for two different teams. That is how good they were.

Gotta love Jets fans. This time last year, they felt he was the most underrated players in the NFL and one of the best backs. Now that he is gone, he is just a product of the o-line (which is not as good as it was last year with Fanaca gone).

but...but...but....they have DuCasse,a left tackle who has never played guard,but will still go to the Hall of Fame.

and....and...and......they have McKnight,who will throw up on any would-be-tackler.

don't...don't....don't......forget....they have TWO.not ONE,but TWO,pro bowl- caliber Fullbacks

All the pats have is Brady,Moss and Belichick.....good luck with that,fella:singing:

LaDainian Tomlinson is not replacing Thomas Jones. He's replacing Shonn Greene as the backup. Shonn Greene is replacing Thomas Jones.

Sorry, it's just one of my pet peeves this offseason when people say this.
One of my pet peeves is when people cannot understand the English language.

RB last year:
GREENE
JONES
WASHINGTON

RB this year:
GREENE
TOMLINSON
MCKNIGHT

You can spin it any way you want, but you cannot get away from the fact that JONES and WASHINGTON are gone, and TOMLINSON and MCKNIGHT replaced them.

LOL anyone watching NFL Live right now? They have Ty Law talking about poor Revis not having a huge contract and then they suddenly just start talking about the patriots window for a championship closing. BSPN at its best :rolleyes:

Well they said it's OPEN as long as Brady's on the team but they also opined correctly in my opinion that the Pats had lost too many core defensive leaders and that there was a leadership vacuum and young guys had to step up. Brady has in effect said the same thing that the young players need to listen to BB and adopt the Patriot Way.

One of my pet peeves is when people cannot understand the English language.

RB last year:
GREENE
JONES
WASHINGTON

RB this year:
GREENE
TOMLINSON
MCKNIGHT

You can spin it any way you want, but you cannot get away from the fact that JONES and WASHINGTON are gone, and TOMLINSON and MCKNIGHT replaced them.

Technically true, but you also shouldn't underestimate that Greene was not a known quantity last year, and he's a known quantity this year. Based on his performance last year, I don't have any problem with him as the starter, although the Greene 09-Tomlinson and Washington-McKnight switches are both downgrades. Whatever dropoff the Jets' game suffers, IMO it will have a lot more to do with losing Faneca than losing Jones.

Last edited:
Thomas Jones is slow, old, and has no moves.

He was a product of the offensive line.

You do realize that in the last 2 seasons before he went to the Jets, Jones rushed for 1200+ and 1300+ yards? The guy is not a product of the system.

You do realize that in the last 2 seasons before he went to the Jets, Jones rushed for 1200+ and 1300+ yards? The guy is not a product of the system.

Cmon who actually brings the facts into these discussions. I guess that pretty much disproves what he is saying.

BradyFTW! you have to realize that in the delusional minds of Jets fans players were never good before they arrived at the Jets. The moment they pull on that uniform it magically transforms them into uber players.

Wow this is good news. If the Jets start to lose games this season...watch out for a clubhouse explosion.

Well, Wes Welker has led the league in receptions each of the last three seasons and he is nowhere near the highest paid WRs in the league. The Pats have no intention of giving him a new deal even if he didn't blow out his ACL. Welker is way underpaid too.

Agreed. Welker is worth more.

We really dont know if the Pats would have given Welker more money if a new CBA was in place.

So are 1st-round rookie contracts utterly meaningless, then? If the player underperforms you show him the door, and if he overperforms, you're honor-bound to tear up his contract? Heck, why have long-term contracts for ANY player if you're supposed to constantly readjust to make sure that across all 32 teams, pay reflects performance rankings at each given point in time? Don't we need annual arbitration for everybody?

Barring that improbable (and ugly) scenario, there will be a "winner" and a "loser" in almost every contract. What are the chances that a player plays precisely to the value of his long-term deal, no more or less?

Revis negotiated a rookie deal that would reward him for success by making the team pay him $14 million to keep him for the last 2 years of his contract. That was a pretty significant concession for the team to make to a totally unproven rookie. They made it, and they should be able to reap the benefits.

Yes.

A team can cut a player at any time and void the final years of a contract on a whim. Look at Bledsoe and the 100 million contract he signed. Thomas Jones saw the door when he became too expensive after a pro bowl season.

Get seriously injured like Leon Washington and its doubtful that you'll be around for very long either.

Revis's stock is at its peak right now. Hes smart to cash in now rather than tempt fate and risk injury.

Yes.

A team can cut a player at any time and void the final years of a contract on a whim. Look at Bledsoe and the 100 million contract he signed. Thomas Jones saw the door when he became too expensive after a pro bowl season.

Get seriously injured like Leon Washington and its doubtful that you'll be around for very long either.

Revis's stock is at its peak right now. Hes smart to cash in now rather than tempt fate and risk injury.

Of course, I don't think anybody has questioned for a moment why REVIS wants a new deal. The question is, why are the JETS entertaining the notion with 3 years left on the contract -- and when, as you say, the player's stock is at its peak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back