OT: Manning processes information like a mad scientist

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigfandan

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
From Howard: Peyton's brain gives Colts the edge - NFL- nbcsports.msnbc.com
"Manning processes more information more quickly than any other QB"

“There are so many answers to how Peyton does it on the fly, but I’ll give you the best one,” says former NFL and Super Bowl-winning quarterback Trent Dilfer, now a terrific analyst for ESPN. “He consumes, processes and delivers probably 10 times more info than any other quarterback in the league. There are a lot of other guys that handle a lot, but nobody like Peyton Manning. On every play he may come to the line with a two- or three-play call sequence, and another catalogue of plays behind that if he still doesn’t like what he sees. His brain is like a mad scientist’s. In the moment of truth, he’s able to process that enormous amount of information and dumb it down to its barest essence and then execute. It’s incomprehensible to me, but in that moment he can reduce the game to its very simplest and say, ‘I’ll take on this guy. Take this shot. Get this completion here’ — whatever he needs.”

Not sure to what degree this is true; but if it is true, he is like a chess grand master. He can devise a plan of attack on the fly whereis other QBs (TB included) lean heavily on coaches to devise the plays. There were several games the Colts would score 4,5, 6 TDs in successive possessions, I guess there seems to be some truth to this. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Re: Manning processes information like a mad scientist

From Howard: Peyton?s brain gives Colts the edge - NFL- nbcsports.msnbc.com

“There are so many answers to how Peyton does it on the fly, but I’ll give you the best one,” says former NFL and Super Bowl-winning quarterback Trent Dilfer, now a terrific analyst for ESPN. “He consumes, processes and delivers probably 10 times more info than any other quarterback in the league. There are a lot of other guys that handle a lot, but nobody like Peyton Manning. On every play he may come to the line with a two- or three-play call sequence, and another catalogue of plays behind that if he still doesn’t like what he sees. His brain is like a mad scientist’s. In the moment of truth, he’s able to process that enormous amount of information and dumb it down to its barest essence and then execute. It’s incomprehensible to me, but in that moment he can reduce the game to its very simplest and say, ‘I’ll take on this guy. Take this shot. Get this completion here’ — whatever he needs.”

Not sure to what degree this is true; but if it is true, he is like a chess grand master. He can devise a plan of attack on the fly whereis other QBs (TB included) lean heavily on coaches to devise the plays. There were several the Colts could score 4,5, 6 TDs in a row, I guess there seems to be some truth to this. What do you guys think?

I wouldn't have guessed. Manning always seemed to have a "Forrest Gump" thing about him when he talks. :p

I think thats why he has the forehead he does...

He is really, really, really good. Probably go down as the undisputed best QB of all time when he retires. I wouldn't doubt it.

Everytime the Colts are down Manning makes the plays necessary for them to win.

He is really, really, really good. Probably go down as the undisputed best QB of all time when he retires. I wouldn't doubt it.

Everytime the Colts are down Manning makes the plays necessary for them to win.

Screw his football accomplishments. His contributions in quantum electrodynamics and superconductivity are actually much more impressive.

That's called audibling. Just because he waves his arms and yells before every snap doesn't mean he is disecting anything. If any qb sees something they don't like from a defense they will change something but manning gets called a genious. Granted he's a great player, 9-8 playoff record doesn't sound genious it sound ordinary.

I think I speak for a lot of us NE fans when I say, I look forward to hearing about Manning like i look forward to getting a root canal. As if were not already bombarded enough with his annoying azz commercials. Nothing would make the 09 year better but to have a Saint's DE knock his goofy face off. He handled himself quite admirably this year, but its only a matter of time before he goes back to his whiney bich ass ways. I can't wait till we get that priss back in Foxboro, hopefulyl this time with a decent pass rush. Has anybody noticed how he waddles like a duck?

Why don't you marry him?

I don't care.

From Howard: Peyton's brain gives Colts the edge - NFL- nbcsports.msnbc.com

Not sure to what degree this is true; but if it is true, he is like a chess grand master. He can devise a plan of attack on the fly whereis other QBs (TB included) lean heavily on coaches to devise the plays. There were several games the Colts would score 4,5, 6 TDs in successive possessions, I guess there seems to be some truth to this. What do you guys think?

It's all a different offense.

Have you ever read about how the Patriots' offensive philosophy works?

You might be offended by the article... but it is not about Brady or Pats. It's an article about how manning's understanding of the game and his speed of data processing seem to give them an edge.

With all the flux of OC personel, you meant Bill's offensive philosophy? No I have not read it. But was not impressed with the slow speed of play calling and relaying the plays. Especially burning timeouts right after another time out.

It's all a different offense.

Have you ever read about how the Patriots' offensive philosophy works?

You might be offended by the article... but it is not about Brady or Pats. It's an article about how manning's understanding of the game and his speed of data processing seem to give them an edge.

With all the flux of OC personel, you meant Bill's offensive philosophy? No I have not read it. But was not impressed with the slow speed of play calling and relaying the plays. Especially burning timeouts right after another time out.

Huh? You're the one that mentioned Brady. I wasn't referring to the article. I was referring to your post.

Jeez. You think Belichick's philosophy is slow play calling etc.?

The Patriots' offense is predicated on before the snap reads by WRs and the QB. There is no precise route called, as the Colts might call. Instead, the WRs read the defense pre-snap, read it again after the snap, and then adjust their routes accordingly. This means Brady and the WRs must have a lot of familiarity. Brady is not even going to bother with a WR who is not familiar with this offense, whereas the Colts offense you can plug a guy in that runs great routes.

So, your comment that Brady runs set plays called by the coach isn't entirely true. The offense is a lot more complicated than that and requires Brady to have a great deal of knowledge about all the possible adjustments his primary receivers will make.

Almost every qb audibles. That is part of Dilfer was talking about making adjustments on the line on pre-snap reads. The article is suggesting that Manning has more success than anyone else, by being a good student and making more correct reads. Brady seems to audible a lot too but his 4th qtr performance is not good...we still go 3-and-out quite often.

In my observation, Manning seems to have more freedom in play selection and often times he is making his own playcalls (at times, he can just turn on the switch and run hurry up offense almost no stop; there is little communication with sideline), where a lot of other qbs are constantly looking to the sideline or waiting for a sub to come to huddle with the new plays called. It is a commonly thought that this guy is a student of the game and that he probably knows more than most coaches in this league.

Huh? You're the one that mentioned Brady. I wasn't referring to the article. I was referring to your post.

Jeez. You think Belichick's philosophy is slow play calling etc.?

The Patriots' offense is predicated on before the snap reads by WRs and the QB. There is no precise route called, as the Colts might call. Instead, the WRs read the defense pre-snap, read it again after the snap, and then adjust their routes accordingly. This means Brady and the WRs must have a lot of familiarity. Brady is not even going to bother with a WR who is not familiar with this offense, whereas the Colts offense you can plug a guy in that runs great routes.

So, your comment that Brady runs set plays called by the coach isn't entirely true. The offense is a lot more complicated than that and requires Brady to have a great deal of knowledge about all the possible adjustments his primary receivers will make.

Almost every qb audibles. That is part of Dilfer was talking about making adjustments on the line on pre-snap reads. The article is suggesting that Manning has more success than anyone else, by being a good student and making more correct reads. Brady seems to audible a lot too but his 4th qtr performance is not good...we still go 3-and-out quite often.

In my observation, Manning seems to have more freedom in play selection and often times he is making his own playcalls (at times, he can just turn on the switch and run hurry up offense almost no stop; there is little communication with sideline), where a lot of other qbs are constantly looking to the sideline or waiting for a sub to come to huddle with the new plays called. It is a commonly thought that this guy is a student of the game and that he probably knows more than most coaches in this league.

Manning also does a lot of homework. He lives in the video room, like Brady. No game is too insignificant for him. He'll even cue up preseason.

It's a very interesting article nonetheless. Manning is a perfectionist- gotta respect that about him.

Last edited:

So, Brady's 4th quarter performance this year means his audibles are not good.

LOL, one bad year in which he threw 28 TDs and 13 INTs means he's incapable.

Good stuff.

I merely said Brady guided offense this season had a lot of 4th qtr breakdowns. Did I say he is incapable? Don't go over board.

There could be many reasons why things did not work out for us this year, and audibles or-not, he did not get us out of troubles often enough for us to be successful (unless you blame it all on wrs). I will be the last one to call for replacing Brady. But with his family more settled now, he could spend more time getting his wrs on the same page, just as Manning did.

So, Brady's 4th quarter performance this year means his audibles are not good.

LOL, one bad year in which he threw 28 TDs and 13 INTs means he's incapable.

Good stuff.

I merely said Brady guided offense this season had a lot of 4th qtr breakdowns. Did I say he is incapable? Don't go over board.

There could be many reasons why things did not work out for us this year, and audibles or-not, he did not get us out of troubles often enough for us to be successful (unless you blame it all on wrs). I will be the last one to call for replacing Brady. But with his family more settled now, he could spend more time getting his wrs on the same page, just as Manning did.

So, tell me, how do you know that Brady spent less time with his WRs than Manning did?

I wonder how this computer brain of his would adjust on the fly to snow, wind, rain, etc., on a regular basis.

This analogy kind of sucks.

A 'Mad Scientist' would have lots of long, drawn out calculations with a lot of time spent thinking. Even if he is bat-**** insane.

A QB is a little more like a fighter or something, where you need to make the decision as the info is coming in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back