PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Lou Merloni leaving afternoons on WEEI

Personally...I'd love to punch Goonloni right in his Patriot hating big mouth. Plus ,that annoying hiccup in his delivery gets on one's nerves after a short while.

So, EEI is going to keep Meggo in the afternoon slot? LMAO! EEI must be at the mercy of Audacy's social justice warrior directives. My hamster, Sammy knows more about Boston sports than Leggo Meggo.

Or maybe they were miserable because Pitino was running their franchise to the ****ing Ground before their very eyes?

Boston is a city filled with miserable people, and it's absolutely reflected in the local sports fans. Neither of those things is a secret, and neither of those things is because the Celtics sucked for the better part of 2 decades after Bird/Parrish/McHale.

Boston is a city filled with miserable people, and it's absolutely reflected in the local sports fans. Neither of those things is a secret, and neither of those things is because the Celtics sucked for the better part of 2 decades after Bird/Parrish/McHale.
1670956216946.gif

Exactly. I have no idea what is the love fest about with Sports Hub. I don't find many of the hosts good at all. People complain about weei. But the midday show at the sports hub is boring as hell. Never was a Toucher and Rich fan, I have grown tired of Felger and Mazz's stitch along Adam Jones as well. Murry is pretty much the only one I like and i wish someone would give me his own show or partner him up with someone on the weekdays, instead of just the weekends.

• 1. It's where 3 of the 4 local teams are broadcast
  • 2. Felger, who was a failure when he tried doing honest talk, changed his approach and went with trolling the audience and constantly bashing the teams, and a big segment of Boston sport fans is all about being miserable. Boston has a huge and vocal homer base and a huge and vocal Eeyore base, but the middle ground is smaller and quieter than most.

I mean, the fact that the guy who follows Felger and Mazz hasn't been run out of town on a rail pretty much proves it all.

1. It's where 3 of the 4 local teams are broadcast

2. Felger, who was a failure when he tried doing honest talk, changed his approach and went with trolling the audience and constantly bashing the teams, and a big segment of Boston sport fans is all about being miserable. Boston has a huge and vocal homer base and a huge and vocal Eeyore base, but the middle ground is smaller and quieter than most.

I mean, the fact that the guy who follows Felger and Mazz hasn't been run out of town on a rail pretty much proves it all.
I can't I don't see the entertainment value and I don't do trolling.

Yea EEI has fallen, but nothing is suppose to stay on top forever. See the Patriots. EEI has its place in sports radio for what it has done for decades...in my opinion nothing could ever replace the Big Show in its prime, especially with the whiner line. Dennis and Callahan would be next.

Not really sure what you are going on about. The Minihane Callahan show was the highest rated show on WEEI and was their only show consistently beating the sports hub. The transgender thing happened and the show imploded when the station didn’t back them.

Yes, Callahan’s show was hemorrhaging listeners but that was long after Minihane had left. Callahan was doing the show with Mut at that point.

Here’s how the ratings played out before Kirk & Callahan dissolved. WEEI would kill for these ratings now.

The transgender thing????
Does anyone consistently listen EEI?
Born and raised in Boston and I've never really listened or watched, save bits and pieces here and there. Radio at work or if I'm in someone else's car. I couldn't tell you anything about what goes on.

There seems to be some real tension, back stories to this space though.

• 1. It's where 3 of the 4 local teams are broadcast
  • 2. Felger, who was a failure when he tried doing honest talk, changed his approach and went with trolling the audience and constantly bashing the teams, and a big segment of Boston sport fans is all about being miserable. Boston has a huge and vocal homer base and a huge and vocal Eeyore base, but the middle ground is smaller and quieter than most.

You are 100% wrong on Felger. He has ALWAYS been a contrarian, going back to when he covered the Bruins for the Herald (constantly attacked Sinden, Steve Kasper, and then he was a cheerleader for Pat Burns. In his radio gig on 890 ESPN with Kevin Winter he was a contrarian - anti Pats, for the most part, all the time. He is not a fan of any of the local teams - other than the Bruins. He admits to growing up a Bruins fan in Milwaukee. But he does not like the other teams and he never has. Thus, he has always been against the local teams and he never tried an "honest" approach - never. Even going back to 890, it was always the Pats win because they other team sucked and the Pats lose because they suck. Wash, rinse, repeat into the #1 rated sports talk show in the market.
I even go back to 1510 the zone when Felger was a guest. He was contrarian back then, too.
If he "failed" at 890 espn it was solely because of the weak signal that barely penetrated to the south of Boston.

Last edited:
Personally...I'd love to punch Goonloni right in his Patriot hating big mouth. Plus ,that annoying hiccup in his delivery gets on one's nerves after a short while.

So, EEI is going to keep Meggo in the afternoon slot? LMAO! EEI must be at the mercy of Audacy's social justice warrior directives. My hamster, Sammy knows more about Boston sports than Leggo Meggo.

Why does it have to be because she is a woman? They are keeping Andy Gresh in the afternoon and moving Keefe. Andy Gresh is not good either. Couldn't they just be keeping her the same way they are keeping Gresh, because it's just a bad decision. What does gender have to do with it?

They were the name brand in Boston sports radio when I was younger. Now it just seems like a bunch of guys trying to play up a shtick but missing the fact it is supposed to be entertainment. Felger and Mazz, and to a lesser extent, Zo and Beetle have their shticks but they are at least entertaining. Something will happen in Boston sports or a game will go a certain way and I will make sure to tune into Felger and Mazz just because I want to hear their reaction/how they twist it. The EEI guys I just generally roll my eyes because it comes off as a bunch of meatheads that generally never articulate a point. I don't always agree with a lot of the guys on 98.5 but at least it is mindless entertainment.
The Prime EEI era was circa 2000

AM: Dennis and Callahan
Midday: Dale & Holley
Afternoon: Big O, Pete Sheppard and print guests

The transgender thing????
Yup. In short, WEEI was flying high about 5 years ago. Kirk & Callahan in the mornings was on top of the ratings, consistently beating the Sports Hub. They said on air that it wasn’t fair that transgenders were allowed to compete in female collegiate sports. A rich activist didn’t like their comments and went after the shows advertisers. Instead of backing the show WEEI wanted them to sign agreements on certain things they could talk about. Minihane wouldn’t sign it, and combined with his depression, he was basically done there. After he left WEEI ratings tanked across all shows.

The Prime EEI era was circa 2000

AM: Dennis and Callahan
Midday: Dale & Holley

Afternoon: Big O, Pete Sheppard and print guests
Haha I used to listen to Dale and Holley in study hall senior year of high school. The teacher who supervised was a huge Boston sports fan and he always used to have them on a radio on his desk. I still remember him arguing with me talking about how we needed to draft that receiver out of Oklahoma who ended top being a huge bust for the 49ers because he thought Patten was too old.

Why does it have to be because she is a woman? They are keeping Andy Gresh in the afternoon and moving Keefe. Andy Gresh is not good either. Couldn't they just be keeping her the same way they are keeping Gresh, because it's just a bad decision. What does gender have to do with it?
stop putting words in my mouth you oversensitve POS...krist, there's just no getting away from you social justice mongoloids

Yup. In short, WEEI was flying high about 5 years ago. Kirk & Callahan in the mornings was on top of the ratings, consistently beating the Sports Hub. They said on air that it wasn’t fair that transgenders were allowed to compete in female collegiate sports. A rich activist didn’t like their comments and went after the shows advertisers. Instead of backing the show WEEI wanted them to sign agreements on certain things they could talk about. Minihane wouldn’t sign it, and combined with his depression, he was basically done there. After he left WEEI ratings tanked across all shows.
Market forces at work, right?

Their spiritual godfather, Don Imus, should have explained to them how things work.

Guess K&C weren't worthy of their own satellite channel, and most of their fan base still can't figure out the Internet.

It seems to me more like the thing had run its course.

stop putting words in my mouth you oversensitve POS...krist, there's just no getting away from you social justice mongoloids
I only react to what you wrote. And u calling someone you have no idea who they are a POS really says more about you than complaining about "social justice"

Good that I know now though.

Market forces at work, right?

Their spiritual godfather, Don Imus, should have explained to them how things work.

Guess K&C weren't worthy of their own satellite channel, and most of their fan base still can't figure out the Internet.

It seems to me more like the thing had run its course.
It may seem like that to you but that’s not what happened. It was pretty public news the fight between K&C and the activist.

I only react to what you wrote. And u calling someone you have no idea who they are a POS really says more about you than complaining about "social justice"

Good that I know now though.
Here's something else you can "know"..GFY you snotty little punk.

For me it started going downhill when Eddie left the Sports Huddle. From then it was mostly crap, then total crap when Bruce Kornblatt (producer) left for his gig with Bob Costas.

I used to listen to WFAN in preference to WEEI and only needed to tune into 98.5 once to know better than to subject myself to their stupid “hawt takez.” “Napkins” Felger and Squeaky as their “stars” tells me all I need to know about them. The only reason I bothered with WFAN was the (unintentional) comedy it provided. Needless to say I clicked off when the topic was the Yankees or the few seasons that the Giants didn’t suck.

I really only listen to Moving the Chains on SiriusXM NFL Network. No phony “celebrity callers,” lots of actual analysis, and most of all NO biases that I can tell.

Last edited:

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back