PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Lou Merloni leaving afternoons on WEEI

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Was never much of a fan of his on the radio, but it is pretty big move. Sounds like WEEI wanted to move on and not Merloni.

WEEI has been frantically rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic for basically half a decade. They’re not gonna find some magic fix.

WEEI has been frantically rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic for basically half a decade. They’re not gonna find some magic fix.

They really blew it when they decided not to give Michael Holley the afternoon slot and get him away from Dale Arnold about 5-6 years ago. Holley may have been the last real ratings getter they had. Holley didn't want to do middays or work with Dale Arnold anymore and bolted to TV exclusively.

TheSportsHub domination of WEEI is basically like Brady Patriots vs Bills

and yet they keep useless female high pitch Eric, Megan Ottolino

and yet they keep useless female high pitch Eric, Megan Ottolino

They seem to think if they have a female on during their drive time shows that it will attract female listeners. Or maybe they think it will get TV viewers because guys can look at their faces when they pop up behind their monitors.

That's too bad. If they were going to move off of one of the men in that slot, it should have been Fauria.

They really blew it when they decided not to give Michael Holley the afternoon slot and get him away from Dale Arnold about 5-6 years ago. Holley may have been the last real ratings getter they had. Holley didn't want to do middays or work with Dale Arnold anymore and bolted to TV exclusively.
Holley and Arnold didn’t generate great ratings.

Minihane and Callahan were the ratings juggernaut for WEEI. When those 2 said transgenders in womens college athletics wasn’t fair to the girls competing a high profile left wing guy went after them, calling all the stations advertisers, etc…The station didnt back them and the show blew up. Subsequently all the shows that followed tumbled as they didn’t have the juggernaut morning show lead in. It was basically the end of WEEI.

I like Merloni, but he’s best as a baseball host. That’s his love.

I’m a big fan of Fauria’s. He’s fun, great football knowledge, lots of energy. They’ve never found the right personality to go with him.

Meh ... cannot say I much care.
One comment ... I stopped listening .... Mego's voice is like nails on a blackboard ... no offense ... just saying.

not really surprising that they made a change... handwriting was on the wall when they added the also-ran from the greg hill show needs a new chick contest Meg-O to the show... I liked Lou when he started... but lately, could only take him in little doses... He earned the nickname Angry Lou, but in all reality over the past few years, it should have been changed to Negative Lou... Got tired of listening to him, tbh... tuned out the afternoon show for that very reason... wish him well though, and hope Nomar's buddy lands on his feet...

andas an aside, anyone else (who listens to the show) think Fauria and Mego have a little sumtin sumtin going on on the side?

Last edited:
I’m a big fan of Fauria’s. He’s fun, great football knowledge, lots of energy. They’ve never found the right personality to go with him.

He seems like a douchebag when being a bully (never seems light hearted) to Socci on the pregame telecasts.

Angry Lou only works when you pick your spots. He has been consistently negative about the local teams particularly the Patriots and Red Sox. That is too similar message delivered by Felger, Adam Jones, etc. on 98.5. 98.5 owns the franchise on giving everything a negative slant. Is this move driven by the station looking for a different kind of voice with the Patriots being in a rebuilding mode? Sports radio can become like Fox and CNN. Listen to WEEI if you want to feel good about your teams, 98.5 if you want negative vibes.

Meh, put me in the minority, I liked him and the later afternoon show. Fauria cracks me up.Those clowns that follow the Greg Hill show are the ones that suck. My two cents…

I wonder if he is still buds with Nomar. Nomar should have kicked the crap out the agent that told him to turn down the $60 million extension.

Confused Jim Carrey GIF

I left WEEI years ago, so good for him. Seems like the right move. It was for me.

I don't much care for Lou but holy hell I can't stand the ADD Christian and Meg. They're both admitted diagnosed and you can tell. These people don't give each other even a moment to speak without interjecting.

Last edited:
They should fire that chick while they’re at it. Insufferable to listen to her, let alone hear her takes. They can find far better if they want to check off that demographic box.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back