• Yes, he can bring something we don't currently have

Votes: 46 33.1%
  • No, what we have is better than what LJ can bring

Votes: 93 66.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Larry Johnson rumored to be released

Nope. Sperm Edwards ran him ragged. He's done.

On a side note, I smell another Maroney debate coming in 5, 4, 3, 2....

Second running back herms anti passing edwards ran into retirement. He practically destroyed LJ, the funny thing is larry johnson has only been a full time runner for like 4-5 seasons.

It has a lot to do with it actually. If he was rushing for more than 2.7 YPC this year with no TDs, I don't think he would be cut for twittering negative things about the coach.

We don't need an broken down RB with an attitude problem who probably isn't even good enough to be activated for games. Larry Johnson would become our worst RB if he was added.

Our O-line looks like the Elway-era Broncos compared to KC's. That he isn't gaining a lot of YPC with KC doesn't bother me that much. I see him as a low risk/potentially high return signing if we could do it. It's mid-season so his salary wouldn't be guaranteed. If he does well we give him a decent short term deal in the offseason.

BB got Corey Dillon to be a model player for several years. By comparison LJ's 'tude is nothing. If he keeps his sh*t together he may get a ring. If not he gets suspended for 'conduct detrimental' and we keep on truckin without a second thought.

I would take LJ in a second. Johnson is not the problem in KC. The problem in KC is the fact that they have one of (if not the worst) offensive lines in the NFL.

LJ would give the Patriots a potent running game.

The Bills have one of the worst lines in the NFL. Marshawn Lynch averages 2.9, but he's been banged up and only played in a few games. Fred Jackson averages 4.0

The Rams have a brutal offensive line. Steven Jackson gets 4.4 per carry.

Larry Johnson is done. He is not a good back anymore. He's also one of the league's greatest pricks. Corey Dillon was not a racist who got suspended and arrested all the time. Green-Ellis is a better player than him at this point, and he's our #5 back when everyone's healthy. Pass.

Our O-line looks like the Elway-era Broncos compared to KC's. That he isn't gaining a lot of YPC with KC doesn't bother me that much. I see him as a low risk/potentially high return signing if we could do it. It's mid-season so his salary wouldn't be guaranteed. If he does well we give him a decent short term deal in the offseason.

BB got Corey Dillon to be a model player for several years. By comparison LJ's 'tude is nothing. If he keeps his sh*t together he may get a ring. If not he gets suspended for 'conduct detrimental' and we keep on truckin without a second thought.

LJ seems to have a bit of a rap sheet going...

From Wiki (assuming this is factual)

"Johnson has been arrested four times since 2003 on various assault charges against women. In 2003, he was arrested for felony aggravated assault and misdemeanor domestic battery for waving a gun at his then-girlfriend, during an argument at his home. The charges were dropped when Johnson agreed to participate in a domestic violence diversion program. In 2005, he was again arrested for assault when a woman accused Johnson of pushing her to the ground, but the case was dropped after the alleged victim failed to appear in court for three different hearings.

His third arrest for assault came on February 24, 2008, after allegedly pushing a woman's head at a nightclub on February 24.[16] On October 10, 2008, Johnson was arrested for the fourth time and charged with one count of non-aggravated assault for allegedly spitting a drink in a woman's face at a Kansas City nightclub on Oct. 11.[17] The woman involved, Ashley Stewart, has since filed a civil suit against Johnson, accusing him of negligence, assault and battery, intentional infliction of emotional distress and negligent infliction of emotional distress.[18]

It was announced on Oct. 16, 2008, that Johnson would be deactivated for the October 19 game against the Tennessee Titans in response to violating an undisclosed team rule.[19] The team said his suspension for this game was unrelated to the newest criminal investigation.

In March 2009 Johnson pleaded guilty to the two incidents in 2008 and was sentenced to two years probation.[20]"

Last edited:

The KC o-line is the problem in KC, not LJ. Cassel hands the ball and there are already 3 defensive lineman in the backfield. He's not Houdini. Obviously at 29 he's not going to be the dominant force he once was, but he still has some gas left in the tank. This outburst stems from the frustrations of losing and not being able to impact the the game the way he used to. I do not condone what he did at all in ripping his coach and using the slurs he did, but I would be very frustrated after years of losing. Herm took Vermeil's team and ran it into the ground. This is a perfect example of someone who I think is a good fit for the Pats. A veteran who has had some behavioral issues due to losing and would gladly come here and get in line for a chance to win a Super Bowl.

I'd love to add him I think he can bring the physicality to our running game that we seem to have been lacking since Dillion has been gone.

LJ NFL disgressions makes Dillon's look like the life of a choir boy. Johnson is a bigotted scumbag. No way around it. Belichick is more likely to sign me to play RB and I am considerably older, much slower, and deathly afraid to take a hit and very likely to fall to the ground in the fetal position if a defender even looks at me funny.

I voted no though I don't necessarily agree with the reason provided here. It just seem to me that Johnson is a head case who will be more trouble than he's worth, but I thought that about Dillon.

I don't like to overstate chemistry and all that, but I genuinely feel that LJ would make this team WORSE.

I voted no though I don't necessarily agree with the reason provided here. It just seem to me that Johnson is a head case who will be more trouble than he's worth, but I thought that about Dillon.

I, to this day, hate Corey Dillon and the fact he was on this team even if he played a major role in the 2004 Super Bowl championship team, but Dillon was never nearly as bad as Larry Johnson has been at least since Dillon left high school. I think Larry Johnson is closer to Dave Meggett in terms of former Patriots RBs than Dillon. Johnson is a racist serial woman abuser.

98-7 in points put up the last two games....

WE NEED A RUNNING BACK!!!!!! SKY FALLING!!!! WAAAAAAAAH!!!

Ok? Your sarcasm doesnt work here due to the competition.

Well Larry Johnson wanted a coach with credentials, maybe he can find that in NE. :)

I voted no. This guy is a headcase. Herm Edwards overused this guy with his wildly exotic run, run, run, punt schemes. Plus he's overrated, he's had only 2 one thousand rushing years. Genius Herm gave him 416 freakin rushing attempts in 2006. After 06, he just fell off the face of the earth. Anyone that tweets more than they plays shows you where the desire for the game is.

Well Larry Johnson wanted a coach with credentials, maybe he can find that in NE. :)

I voted no. This guy is a headcase. Herm Edwards overused this guy with his wildly exotic run, run, run, punt schemes. Plus he's overrated, he's had only 2 one thousand rushing years. Genius Herm gave him 416 freakin rushing attempts in 2006. After 06, he just fell off the face of the earth. Anyone that tweets more than they plays shows you where the desire for the game is.

Thought this deserved a reset. This might be the funniest line in a post I've read on these boards ever. Well done.

Well, Herm did give Johnson a rest in the 2006 season playoffs against the Colts who had statistically the worst run defense in NFL history that season. Johnson only ran the ball in that game 13 times. Herm once again used why he is a HOF coach by resting his best player in the playoffs after running him ragged all season.

No, he's pretty much a bum nowadays. I like what the Pats have now. If they get one or both out of Taylor & Morris back they'll be fine for the stretch run.

Too bad we don't play teams all year that are a combined 0-12 :rolleyes:

Even if he was a saint off the field the guy can't help this team. Add in his issues and there is no thought required.

Larry Johnson has been done for a couple years. He put together maybe the best 2 year span of any RB ever. Unfortunately his physical running style and the overuse he was subjected to resulted in him taking about 8 years worth of punishment in that 2 year span. He's been a broken down shell of that player for going on 3 years now and has nothing left.

Larry Johnson is at the same stage of his career that John Lynch was when he signed him.

Done.

^Dhamz i just read your post and you put it perfectly

Last edited:
I don't think Larry Johnson is worn out or broken down, he's had 1,375 career rushing attemps and is 29 yrs old. I can point to two current RB's from the AFC East who are older and have had a lot more career carries and they are certainly not over the hill.

Ricky Williams, 32 yrs old - 1,993 career rushing attempts
Thomas Jones, 31 yrs old - 2,071 career rushing attempts

A change of scenery should help this kid out. It doesn't have to be here but I think if he gets into a good situation he will be successful again.

So if Morris and Taylor some how both end up on IR and Johnson is available you don't want him?...thats crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News