PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Jets have a 1 year window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Jets have a 1 year window (oops, didn't mean to post in draft forum)

Now I remember why I stopped reading anything you post.
Twist away, you've been exposed yet again.

1.) How do you respond to my posts without reading them?

Oh, wait... given what your responses are, your claim actually makes sense.

2.) I not only didn't twist, I used exact quotes. You, on the other hand, were making things up.

3.) As I believe I've told you before, you should feel free not to respond to my posts. I'd put you on ignore, but you're a mod.

...um....they made it to the Championship game last year.

Exactly my point...weren't people saying the Jets had a one-year window in 2008?

other then mangold, and david harris, none of the guys on your list will brake the bank and if they do they can be replaced.

So the Jets will pay them and they will be wildly successful. Or they will cut them and replace them with players who will play for less and be wildly successful. Brilliant! Being a GM is fun!

they have a rookie QB if he becomes a star they will be a playoff team for a long time.

Sanchez => Star
Star => Playoffs
Sanchez => Playoffs

What could possibly go wrong? Why doesn't every team get a rookie QB that will become a star?

thats the NFL every team goes through this players go and come thats way the pats have been so good cause they find a way to replace guys and still be a playoff team the jets will be a good team for some time.

Depending on which punctuation marks you use and where you use them, I may agree with you. Or disagree with you. Or think you are drunk.

Re: Jets have a 1 year window (oops, didn't mean to post in draft forum)

good thread... and we've seen it often. Teams go for loads of veteran FA then injury bug hits and all of a sudden all that fire is gone and then there they are wondering what the hell happened. Especially in NY where if you talk about joining them for making it to the big show and dont perform, then they eat you alive afterwards.

Exactly my point...weren't people saying the Jets had a one-year window in 2008?

They did.
Thats why Mangini was fired and Favre left town.
Last year was a rebuild that ended with a Medicore Card berth.
This year they APPEAR to be in a situation where they have some of their top players under expiring contracts that mean they will have a lot of cap issue to deal with next year.

I realize Manning had a better year than Sanchez and of course Sanchez is VERY unlikely to be anything near Mannings legendary career in fact he may end up just being another Esiason or O'Donnell, but too many here just focus on Sanchez INTs more than anything else,thats where I came up with the Manning comparison - Interceptions as a rookie QB

The bottom line here is too many fans in here already proclaim a rookie QB as being bad based on a rookie season,why not give the kid another season and a chance with two fine starting WRs before we proclaim him a bust?...and the reason why they do?..its easy,he is a New York Hated Jet

Although I agree that it is too early to call him a bust, I think any comparisons to Manning's rookie year is very misleading. Sorry I don't mean it directed at you specifically there have been thousands of comparisons by fans and media alike between the two.

What stands out for me about his INTs though is not neccessarily how many INTs he threw, but how few passes it took him to get 20 INTs (granted Matthew Stafford had as many INTs with slightly more attempts). He threw a pick every 18.2 attempts. His decision making was awful.

That said that doesn't mean he won't improve. Personally I didn't see any improvement in him until they took the ball out his hand and made him a game manager who only threw rarely, but that doesn't mean he will not turn into a top QB someday. I think missing most of the offseason will hurt him at least for this upcoming season because instead of rehabbing his knee, he should be working on his mechanics and decision making right now. Brady became great quickly because of all the work he put in this time of the year early in his career. Brady built up his arm strength, his mechanics, and did a lot of throwing drills. All of which Sanchez could really benefit from and will miss out on.

They did.
This year they APPEAR to be in a situation where they have some of their top players under expiring contracts that mean they will have a lot of cap issue to deal with next year.

Exactly, they took their shot in 2008 and came up short. And there were consequences.

In 2009, they unexpected caught some breaks and took advantage to go deeper in the playoffs than expected.

In 2010, the success from 2009 combined with a new stadium and heightened expectations have resulted in a "win now or else" mentality. If the Jets don't win the division and make the Super Bowl this year, does anyone really expect an attitude of "Gee that was fun! Just wait 'til next year!"???

If the Jets miss the playoffs (and like most teams they are an injury or 2 from that being a reality), the whole thing could blow up. Rex goes on the hot seat (didn't take long for the Mangenius to Mangidiot transition), Holmes burns out of the league, LdT sits in the back of team meetings with his head covered, Cromartie impregnates the cast of Jersey Shore, Pool forgets how to get to the stadium, Edwards gets a new contract (but drops it), Revis gets disappointed when they don't name Long Island after him...you get the idea.

I don't know who said that, but I'm guessing it was predicated on the idea that the window was for Brett Favre. Mine is based on the fact that out of the 32 guys or so that are expected to get all the playing time, about 25 will need to be either resigned or replaced within the next 2 years. There is no way the Jets can afford to resign all of them and they don't have the young players or draft picks necessary to replace them. Yes, the Jets will have Revis, Harris, Brick, Mangold, Keller and Sanchez (whom the jury's still out on). But you need a hell of a lot more to be a Suberbowl contending team.

So the Jets will pay them and they will be wildly successful. Or they will cut them and replace them with players who will play for less and be wildly successful. Brilliant! Being a GM is fun!

Sanchez => Star
Star => Playoffs
Sanchez => Playoffs

What could possibly go wrong? Why doesn't every team get a rookie QB that will become a star?

Depending on which punctuation marks you use and where you use them, I may agree with you. Or disagree with you. Or think you are drunk.

you could say what ever you want about the jets i don't realy care but the fact is the pats only have 3 more regular season. wins then the jets over the last 2 years and the jets have 2 more playoffs wins then the pats.

i hope the jets loose every game they play. but you could say the same thing about the pats that they only have one or two more years to win tom brady is 33 moss, will be gone next year and even if he is back he will be 34. and welker may never be the same player again.

IMO the jets will be a good team over the next few year for me a good team is 10 to 11 wins and makeing the playoffs and the pats are in that same boat

They did.

From my perspective, living in Manhattan for nearly 20 years, that's pretty close to the target, though I'll let Miguel opine on "all things cap."

What I think I can add to this discussion is a perspective on the pressure the Jets organization is under.

This is an unforgiving town. The Yankees just bought their 27th World Series title, the Giants have been to four SB's, have won three and are known as a class organization under the Mara's and folks like Parcells and Coughlin [and Belichick, who made no secret a decade or more ago that his "dream job" (at the time!!!) was in the Meadowlands as "HC" of the team in Blue and not the one in Green]. The Knicks have fallen on hard times and the media has scapegoated the Dolans and Isaiah and, to some extent, Checketts II, but the Ewing/Riley days are in the not too distant past and the glory days of Reed, Clyde, Bradley et al still resonate.

The Mets and Jets are out in the cold...but even the Mutts have been to a World Series this century and, as we all know too well, won in 1986. There is little patience left for the Jets.

It starts at the top. Woody Johnson alienated the fan base seriously with outrageously priced PSL's that led to Tabloid stories of heartbroken fans who could no longer afford tickets in the new stadium. Johnson is not media friendly and comes across as a petulant rich guy with a dysfunctional family who has never had to work a day in his life; he recently threw a hissy fit in the media over Goodell's coin toss for whether the Giants or Jets would get to open the new stadium. He is nowhere near the company of Laurie or Jones or the Rooney's or the Maras or Krafts when it comes to being among the elite of NFL owners.

I read the Sports sections of the tabloids and NYTimes every day. The support for Rex and the Sanchize is a mile wide and an inch deep. Ryan is a bad five game stretch from tabloid fodder. Writers and intelligent fans alike are smart enough to realize that they don't know what they have in Sanchez, whose acceptance by parts of the fanbase is lukewarm at best.

Make no mistake: the stereotype of a Jets fan as a braindead drunk shouting at girls to expose their breasts at halftime in New Jersey is true of many (ok, most) who attend their games and vomit on the sidewalks outside the bars across the five boroughs on Sunday afternoons.

But, most of the media and many Jets' fans are savvy about the NFL and understand that they got a free ride into the Playoffs last year but were able to make the most of it when they got there.

These folks are fed up with the Jets organization and its ongoing state of disarray. They see a team that is geared to win now and were seething at Sanchez until he was bailed out by the Colts and Bungles. They like Rex' moxie and attitude, but they are uneasy about his lack of discipline and have yet to embrace him. They are smart enough that they will quickly realize it if Sanchez proves to be an "OK QB who will never get them back to the SB" and they will dump Ryan in a nanosecond if the team degenerates into bickering and backstabbing in the locker room and press.

So, yes, this team is feeling the heat and this is probably it's best chance since 1998. 1998 was a key season for the Jets franchise. They lost an AFCCG that many thought they could have won and Leon Hess died in the offseason. 1999 brought a season-ending injury to Vinny T. in the opening game, new ownership in the form of Woody Johnson and the departure of Bill Parcells. The Pennington era unfolded with a dominant Pats team ruling the AFC East and was followed by the "Favre Folly." Now, they've bet the farm on the Sanchize and the outcome is very much in doubt with a lot of impatient fans and media waiting to see what happens.

From my perspective, living in Manhattan for nearly 20 years, that's pretty close to the target, though I'll let Miguel opine on "all things cap."

What I think I can add to this discussion is a perspective on the pressure the Jets organization is under.

This is an unforgiving town. The Yankees just bought their 27th World Series title, the Giants have been to four SB's, have won three and are known as a class organization under the Mara's and folks like Parcells and Coughlin [and Belichick, who made no secret a decade or more ago that his "dream job" (at the time!!!) was in the Meadowlands as "HC" of the team in Blue and not the one in Green]. The Knicks have fallen on hard times and the media has scapegoated the Dolans and Isaiah and, to some extent, Checketts II, but the Ewing/Riley days are in the not too distant past and the glory days of Reed, Clyde, Bradley et al still resonate.

The Mets and Jets are out in the cold...but even the Mutts have been to a World Series this century and, as we all know too well, won in 1986. There is little patience left for the Jets.

It starts at the top. Woody Johnson alienated the fan base seriously with outrageously priced PSL's that led to Tabloid stories of heartbroken fans who could no longer afford tickets in the new stadium. Johnson is not media friendly and comes across as a petulant rich guy with a dysfunctional family who has never had to work a day in his life; he recently threw a hissy fit in the media over Goodell's coin toss for whether the Giants or Jets would get to open the new stadium. He is nowhere near the company of Laurie or Jones or the Rooney's or the Maras or Krafts when it comes to being among the elite of NFL owners.

I read the Sports sections of the tabloids and NYTimes every day. The support for Rex and the Sanchize is a mile wide and an inch deep. Ryan is a bad five game stretch from tabloid fodder. Writers and intelligent fans alike are smart enough to realize that they don't know what they have in Sanchez, whose acceptance by parts of the fanbase is lukewarm at best.

Make no mistake: the stereotype of a Jets fan as a braindead drunk shouting at girls to expose their breasts at halftime in New Jersey is true of many (ok, most) who attend their games and vomit on the sidewalks outside the bars across the five boroughs on Sunday afternoons.

But, most of the media and many Jets' fans are savvy about the NFL and understand that they got a free ride into the Playoffs last year but were able to make the most of it when they got there.

These folks are fed up with the Jets organization and its ongoing state of disarray. They see a team that is geared to win now and were seething at Sanchez until he was bailed out by the Colts and Bungles. They like Rex' moxie and attitude, but they are uneasy about his lack of discipline and have yet to embrace him. They are smart enough that they will quickly realize it if Sanchez proves to be an "OK QB who will never get them back to the SB" and they will dump Ryan in a nanosecond if the team degenerates into bickering and backstabbing in the locker room and press.

So, yes, this team is feeling the heat and this is probably it's best chance since 1998. 1998 was a key season for the Jets franchise. They lost an AFCCG that many thought they could have won and Leon Hess died in the offseason. 1999 brought a season-ending injury to Vinny T. in the opening game, new ownership in the form of Woody Johnson and the departure of Bill Parcells. The Pennington era unfolded with a dominant Pats team ruling the AFC East and was followed by the "Favre Folly." Now, they've bet the farm on the Sanchize and the outcome is very much in doubt with a lot of impatient fans and media waiting to see what happens.

Hey there, part time Jet fan lurker, just wanted to say that this post made me register here becuase it is completely spot on.

A large portion of the Jets fanbase is all too well educated on the dynamics of the league. Many are well aware that we have a very good oppurtunity in the next year with the current roster.

However, the core of the team is still young and while they need to lock up some pieces I think it would be foolish to say the Jets won't be competitive for at least the next 5 years....as long as Sanchez isn't a bust which as mentioned is the collective Jet nightmare.

That is all, you may carry on with the Jet hating now.;)

Last edited:
However, the core of the team is still young and while they need to lock up some pieces I think it would be foolish to say the Jets won't be competitive for at least the next 5 years....as long as Sanchez isn't a bust which as mentioned is the collective Jet nightmare.

Not hatin', but after this season I believe that of the 12 starting "bigs" for the Jets, 8 will be over 30. Only D'Brick, Mangold, Harris and DeVito (assuming he starts) won't be. While 30 isn't old, it generally signals the point where year-to-year stability of production can't be assumed. That holds true for the Pats with Light, Koppen and Neal as well. These players will be long gone in 5 years and much sooner in some cases.

Also, don't need to remind you that Sanchez doesn't have to be a bust to haunt Jets fans. Chad Pennington was actually pretty successful but didn't have the ability to get the Jets to the Super Bowl. Sanchez has a long way to go to even get to the Pennington level.

Hey there, part time Jet fan lurker, just wanted to say that this post made me register here becuase it is completely spot on.

A large portion of the Jets fanbase is all too well educated on the dynamics of the league. Many are well aware that we have a very good oppurtunity in the next year with the current roster.

That is all, you may carry on with the Jet hating now.;)

Your name alone gets you 20 cool points. :cool:

Not hatin', but after this season I believe that of the 12 starting "bigs" for the Jets, 8 will be over 30. Only D'Brick, Mangold, Harris and DeVito (assuming he starts) won't be. While 30 isn't old, it generally signals the point where year-to-year stability of production can't be assumed. That holds true for the Pats with Light, Koppen and Neal as well. These players will be long gone in 5 years and much sooner in some cases.

Also, don't need to remind you that Sanchez doesn't have to be a bust to haunt Jets fans. Chad Pennington was actually pretty successful but didn't have the ability to get the Jets to the Super Bowl. Sanchez has a long way to go to even get to the Pennington level.

Its true that a good portion of the O line and D line are in their twillight, I personally belive the Jets are going heavy on D line in the draft, but the O line is a concern. However, the Jets solved those problems with free agents in the first place and hopefully can do it again.

What matters to me is most of the teams talent is in its young players. Harris, Revis, Mangold, Brick, Keller, Sanchez, Greene, Cotch, Braylon, Cromartie and Holmes are all on the right side of 30 and while many will need to be resigned there is hope of retaining most if not all.

Also, I wouldn't compare pennington to Sanchez because Sanchez can actually stretch the field, not to mention with the defense Rex runs you don't need a superstar to win a title.

Last edited:
One year window? Well, to some extent, the NFL has a one year window right now. This is a unique year.

Which is all besides the point. I think thinking "long term" has proven to be overrated.

How many times have we said the Colts are killing themselves long term? Or the Jets? When has the cap ever mattered? For about a decade, I've been saying the Colts would be in cap hell - and for about a decade, I've been wrong. I'm going to stop making that mistake.

Last edited:
How many times have we said the Colts are killing themselves long term? Or the Jets? When has the cap ever mattered? For about a decade, I've been saying the Colts would be in cap hell - and for about a decade, I've been wrong. I'm going to stop making that mistake.

Right. The Colts have been extremely good at drafting. Over the last 20+ years, they've never made less than 7 draft picks and have averaged 8 picks/year. And they've been able to come up with guys like Collie in the 4th (2009), Garcon in the 6th (2008), Clint Sessions in the 4th (2007) Freddy Keiaho in the 3rd (2006), Charlie Johnson in the 6th, the list goes on and on and on! That's the reason they're not in salary cap hell! The Jets are heading in the opposite direction - 13 picks total over the past 3 years. 3 of them in the top 15 - which is a very high cap hit for a rookie. Only 5 picks left this year. I wouldn't be surprised if they vote against the salary cap completely.

One year window? Well, to some extent, the NFL has a one year window right now. This is a unique year.

Which is all besides the point. I think thinking "long term" has proven to be overrated.

How many times have we said the Colts are killing themselves long term? Or the Jets? When has the cap ever mattered? For about a decade, I've been saying the Colts would be in cap hell - and for about a decade, I've been wrong. I'm going to stop making that mistake

Bingo. Thank you for posting something that makes sense, yet many refuse to acknowledge it.

The cap matters a ton (well it did before this year)
The fact that the Colts do a good job managing the cap isnt evidence the cap is irrelevant.
In fact, there is a significant divide between teams who have managed the cap well, and maintained consistent success (Pats, Colts, Pitt, Philly, Giants to an extent,Titans to an extent) and then most other teams who have been hamstrung by the way they handle the cap, either staying down, or not being able to stay consistent.
The Jets have mismanaged the cap which is why they have not been consistent and are on their 4th coach in the time BB has been here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe